No. 9, Bedford Square

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

W. Edward Riley and Sir Laurence Gomme (editors)

Year published

1914

Page

157

Citation Show another format:

'No. 9, Bedford Square', Survey of London: volume 5: St Giles-in-the-Fields, pt II (1914), pp. 157. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74302 Date accessed: 01 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LXXI.—NO. 9, BEDFORD SQUARE. (fn. 1)

Ground landlord and lessee.

Ground landlord, The Crown; lessees, executors to the late Mrs. Edward Clarke.

General description and date of structure.

On 20th November, 1777, a lease (fn. 2) was granted, as from Michaelmas, 1775, of "all that parcel of ground, with the messuage thereon erected on the east side of Bedford Square … being the second house southward from the opening opposite Bedford Street [Bayley Street]." The house was obviously No. 9, which first appears in the parish ratebooks for the year 1779.

The ground floor front room has a white marble chimneypiece inlaid with coloured marble, over which, on the chimney breast, is an oval plaque with a figure subject (Plate 72) and ornamental plaster decorations.

There are two other plaques (Plate 72) of the same shape, one over the door of this room and the other on the chimney breast in the rear room.

Another piece of figure work is placed over the door to the front room on the first floor, representing Anacreon and Eros.

The two rooms on the first floor have finely ornamented ceilings, that in the front room being illustrated in Plate 73. The chimneypieces are chiefly of white marble, the one in the front room having Ionic capitals and coloured marble shafts, while that in the rear room is inlaid with coloured marble, and has a sculptured panel in the frieze.

Condition of repair.

The premises are in good repair.

Biographical notes.

The ratebooks show that Jas. Langston lived at No. 9 from 1779 to 1797, and Mrs. Langston is shown in occupation of the house during the remainder of the century.

In the Council's collection are.

(fn. 3) Chimneypiece in front room on ground floor (plaque and frieze reproduced) (photograph).
(fn. 3) Plaque over door and frieze in front room on ground floor (photograph).
(fn. 3) Plaque on chimney-breast and frieze in rear room on ground floor (photograph).
Alto relievo over entrance to drawing room (photograph).
Marble chimneypiece in rear room on first floor (photograph).
(fn. 3) Ornamental plaster ceiling in front room on first floor (photograph).
Ornamental plaster ceiling in rear room on first floor (photograph).

Footnotes

1 In the Parish of St. George, Bloomsbury.
2 Middlesex Registry Memorials, 1778, IV., 505.
3 Reproduced here.