Survey of London: volume 5: St Giles-in-the-Fields, pt II
W. Edward Riley and Sir Laurence Gomme (editors)
'No. 23, Bedford Square', Survey of London: volume 5: St Giles-in-the-Fields, pt II (1914), pp. 167. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74309 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
LXXVIII.—No. 23, BEDFORD SQUARE.
General description and date of structure.
Condition of repair.
In the Council's collection is:—
His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G.
This house was not in existence on 20th November, 1777, (fn. 1) and the
first mention of it in the parish ratebooks occurs in 1781. Few of the
decorations in the house are original, the two principal exceptions being
the plaster ceiling of the front room on the first floor, and a fine doorcase
and pair of doors (Plate 82), connecting that room with the one in the rear.
The premises are in good repiar.
In 1781 "Jas. Bailey" is shown as the occupier of the house. For the next
few years no name is given, but in 1785 that of Thomas Burn appears and continues
for the remainder of the century.
(fn. 2) No. 23, Bedford Square. Doors and doorcase in front room on ground floor
No. 24, Bedford Square. Entrance doorway (photograph).
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd