VIII.—NO. 135, ST. LEONARD'S-STREET.
Ground Landlord, Leaseholders, &c.
The house with the grounds belongs to the London, Tilbury and Southend
Railway Company. It was until lately in the possession of Messrs. Jukes, Coulson
and Company, and was with its grounds used as an iron works.
General description and date of structure.
The house is about 40 feet square, and is built of yellow bricks; the principal
entrance faces south. On the east side, facing the garden and river, is a large circular
bay window, and a rain-water pipe-head bearing the date 1784.
The interior was stripped of its fittings, marble chimney-pieces, &c., some
years since, and the only remaining thing of interest now is the elliptical arched
groining over part of the hall, supported by pilasters with caps ornamented with
leafage of Greek character.
The stables and offices are arranged in a long rectangular block of similar
construction to the house, with a hipped slate roof, on the south side of the house,
and adjoining the road. Over the centre of the block is a pediment.
The grounds extend from the road to the river Lea, and southward from the
London, Tilbury and Southend Railway for a distance of 350 feet. The kitchen
garden still remains intact, to the south of the grounds and adjoining the river, but
is now owned by the Gas Light and Coke Company, and let out in garden allotments.
The original extent of the grounds was about 4½ acres.
Condition of repair.
The house stands now nearly in carcase, and is in a somewhat dilapidated condition, although
structurally quite sound.
The above account was written in 1896. Since then the house, with the stables, has been pulled
down, and the whole ground cleared preparatory to building a goods depot, which is now (1898) in course
There was a house of somewhat similar character to this (No. 133) on the north side of the railway,
standing in the works of Messrs. Fraser and Fraser, Limited. It was destroyed about eight years since
for the purpose of extending their workshops.
In the Committee's MS. collection are—
(1) A general view of the house from the south-east (colour drawing).
(2) Detail of the rain-water head (colour drawing).
(3) View of house from the south (line drawing).