Turner's House, Nos. 118 and 119, Cheyne Walk

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Walter H. Godfrey

Year published

1913

Page

42

Citation Show another format:

'Turner's House, Nos. 118 and 119, Cheyne Walk', Survey of London: volume 4: Chelsea, pt II (1913), pp. 42. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74628 Date accessed: 02 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LXXI.—TURNER'S HOUSE, Nos. 118 and 119, CHEYNE WALK.

The western part of this house (No. 119) dates from the latter part of the 18th century. Its interest, however, lies in its having been the last home of J. M. W. Turner, the great artist, who died here on 19th December, 1851. The exact time of his coming here is apparently unknown, but it was in the forties. The story of his arrival, the care taken of him by his landlady, Mrs. Booth, his adoption of her name to conceal his identity, and of his death, is told by Thornbury in his Life of Turner. The balustrade on the parapet of the house is commonly said to have been placed there by Turner, as he used the roof as a place of vantage for his work. If this is so, it was probably purchased second-hand, for its character is somewhat earlier than mid–19th century.

The two houses were offered for sale in 1895, and some efforts were made to secure No. 119 as a permanent memorial of Turner. The project fell through. The house has recently been restored by Mr. C. R. Ashbee.

In the Council's ms. collection is:—

(fn. 1) Photograph of Nos. 118 and 119.

Footnotes

1 Reproduced here.