Sign at No. 16, Church Street (now Old Church Street)

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Walter H. Godfrey

Year published

1913

Page

55

Citation Show another format:

'Sign at No. 16, Church Street (now Old Church Street)', Survey of London: volume 4: Chelsea, pt II (1913), pp. 55. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74636 Date accessed: 26 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

XCV.—No. 16, CHURCH STREET.

On the street front of this house is fixed a cast-iron sign which was dug up in the back garden during the rebuilding of the premises. Mr. Philip Norman (fn. 1) describes it as follows: "The design is like that of a 17th-century fire-back, and represents a cock vigorously attempting to swallow a snake, which he has seized by the tail; a second snake on the ground behind him rears its head as if to strike. Above is the date 1652."


Sign on No. 16, Church Street

Figure 13: Sign on No. 16, Church Street

In 1874, he adds, a sign was dug up in the foundation of Messrs. Smith, Payne and Smith's Bank, No. 1, Lombard Street, which appears to have been cast from the same mould. The sign is fixed behind a small crane, which renders it almost invisible.

Footnotes

1 London Signs and Inscriptions, pp. 101–2


<--Previous:
Petyt School
Next:-->
The Rectory