Help us grow
Survey of London: volume 4: Chelsea, pt II
Walter H. Godfrey
'Wrought-iron gate, Trafalgar Square', Survey of London: volume 4: Chelsea, pt II (1913), pp. 79. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74646 Date accessed: 20 October 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
CXXII.—WROUGHT IRON GATE, TRAFALGAR
In the Council's ms. collection are:—
This gate, which is of good 18th-century wrought-iron work, was
placed here by Lady Gilbert Kennedy, the last tenant of St. Margaret's
Lodge, which stood at the south end of the Square. The house was pulled
down when the site was recently bought for the extensions of the Chelsea
Polytechnic. The gate, which now serves as an entrance to the grounds of
the Chelsea Lawn Tennis Club, in the centre of the Square, may have come
from Cheyne Walk, whence a good deal of original ironwork has been
removed from houses that have been re-built.
(fn. 1) Photograph of the gate.
Another photograph of the same.
(fn. 1) Measured drawing of the gate and railings.
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd