CXXVIII.—THE OLD BURIAL GROUND,
This burial ground was the gift of Sir Hans Sloane to the parish,
and was consecrated in 1736. It has long been disused and is now a recreation ground—in fine weather—for the old men and women of the adjoining
workhouse. It is a not unpicturesque sight to see the men in their scarlet
caps and the women in their blue cotton gowns grouped among the worn
and weathered stones.
Among those who lie buried here are Andrew Millar (d. 1768) a
bookseller of note; John Martyn, F.R.S., the botanist (d. 1768) and
Eulalia his wife (d. 1748—9), who was the daughter of Dr. King, rector of
Chelsea; Dr. Sloane Elsmere, rector (d. 1766); John Baptist Cipriani, the
artist (d. 1785); Lady Rous (d. 1777), widow of Sir William Rous, Alderman; and Rev. Philip Withers, D.D., the pamphleteer (d. 1790). (fn. 1)
A pair of 18th century iron gates, with overthrow of scroll work, and
a side gate, considerably renovated, remain at the entrance to the burial
ground from Arthur Street.
Thomas Faulkner, Chelsea and its Environs (2nd edition, 1829).
Alfred Beaver, Memorials of Old Chelsea (1892).
Reginald Blunt, An Historical Handbook to Chelsea (1900).
Mrs. Basil Holmes, Burial Grounds of London.
In the Council's ms. collection is:—
Photograph of wrought-iron gates, and piers.