CXXXVI.—THE DUKE OF YORK'S SCHOOL.
It is not intended to give a detailed description of these buildings,
as they fall just within the 19th century, but the site cannot be altogether
passed over. There was formerly here a house in which lived the Cadogan
family, the lords of the manor, and later Sir Walter Farquhar, Bt., from
whom it was purchased by the Government for the erection of the Royal
Military Asylum, or, as it is more familiarly called after its founder, The
Duke of York's School. The buildings, of which the main front faces west,
with two long wings to the east, was designed by John Sanders, the foundation stone being laid in 1801. The material used is, in the main, stock brick,
but there is a stone portico of the Doric order in the centre of the main block,
and the curved garden walls which stretch out on either side have archways
surmounted by flags and trophies carved in stone. The institution was
founded to provide for the children of soldiers' widows. In 1823 the girls
were removed to Southampton, and in 1909 the boys left Chelsea for their
new premises at Dover.
The school buildings, the chapel (erected in 1824 at the corner of
King's Road and Chesterfield Street) and the grounds are now  in
use as the Headquarters of the 2nd London Division of the Territorial
Force. The brick wall is being pulled down along the King's Road and
railings placed in its stead.
In the Council's ms. collection are:—
Photograph of Chapel.
Photograph of the main block from the west.