Hundred of Wangford

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Alfred Suckling

Year published

1846

Supporting documents

Pages

51-52

Citation Show another format:

'Hundred of Wangford', The History and Antiquities of the County of Suffolk: volume 1 (1846), pp. LI-LII. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=75107 Date accessed: 21 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

The Hundred of Wangford.

This Hundred is written in Domesday Book Wanneforda and Waineforda, and takes its name from the town of Wangford, which is not now within its bounds. The fee of this Hundred being in the Crown in the reign of Edward the First, it was assigned by that monarch, with other estates to the amount of £ 400 per annum, to John de Clavering, for life; in consideration of the settlement made by him upon the said king and his heirs, of his castle of Warkworth, and other manors in the county of Northumberland.

On the death of Sir John, the fee of this Hundred reverted to the Crown, and in the reign of Edward the Third it was returned as being "in manu W: de Norwico, Thesaur:." It afterwards fell to the Crown again, and continued part of the royal demesnes until 1822, when it was conveyed, on the 30th of April, in that year, by the Right Honourable William Huskisson, and William Dacres Adams, two of His Majesty's Commissioners of Woods and Forests, to John Garden, Esq., of Redisham Hall, who is the present possessor.

Its revenues arise from the rents of about twelve acres of land lying within its limits, together with certain quit-rents, and the goods and chattels of fugitives, outlaws, and suicides.

The Hundred is bounded on the north by the river Waveney, which divides it from Norfolk: on the west by the Hundred of Hoxne: on the south by the Hundred of Blything; part of which, and the Hundred of Mutford, bound it on the east. It contains twenty-nine parishes, of which Beccles and Bungay are market towns; and the hamlet of Hulverstreet.

It comprises three divisions, viz.: the seven parishes of Ilketshall; the nine parishes, or the township, of South Elmham; and the parishes about Beccles. The nine parishes form the Deanery of South Elmham, and the rest constitute that of Wangford.

Parishes in the Hundred of Wangford.

Barsham.
Beccles.
Ellough.
North Cove.
Redisham Magna.
Redisham Parva.
Ringsfield.
Shaddingfield.
Shipmeadow.
Sotterley.
Weston.
Willingham St. Mary.
Worlingham, and the Hamlet of Hulverstreet.
St. Andrew.Ilketshall.
Bungay St. Mary.
Bungay Trinity.
St. John.
St. Laurence.
St. Margaret.
Mettingham.
All Saints.South Elmham.
Flixton.
St. George.
Homersfield.
St. James.
St. Margaret.
St. Michael.
St. Nicholas.
St. Peter.