Introduction to Chester Ward

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Robert Surtees

Year published

1820

Page

4

Citation Show another format:

'Introduction to Chester Ward', The History and Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham: volume 2: Chester ward (1820), pp. IV. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=76298 Date accessed: 03 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

INTRODUCTION

CHESTER WARD.

The boundaries of Chester Ward on the North and East are the same as those of the County. On the East the German Ocean, and on the North the Tyne, Darwent, and Milkwell-burn (with a short intervening imaginary line), dividing it from Northumberland. On the North-West Chester Ward runs up to a narrow point conterminous with Darlington Ward, from which it is divided by an imaginary line, and in part by the course of the Derness on the South-West. The Wear forms the South and South-Eastern boundary.

Page
CHESTER WARD contains the Parishes of MONK-WEARMOUTH 1
WASHINGTON 40
WHITBURN 50
BOLDON 57
JARROW 66
HEWORTH (Chapelry) 82
ST. HILD'S, or SOUTH SHIELDS (Chapelry) 94
GATESHEAD 105
CHESTER-LEE-STREET (fn. 1) 136
LAMESLEY (Chapelry) 207
TANFIELD (Chapelry) 219
WHICKHAM 237
RYTON 259
MEDOMSLEY (Chapelry) 284
EBCHESTER (Chapelry) 298
LANCHESTER 303
ASH (Chapelry) 336
MUGGLESWICK 361
EDMUNDBYERS 363
HUNSTANWORTH 365
WITTON-GILBERT(Chapelry) 368
(fn. 2) ST. OSWALD'S in the Suburbs of Durham.
ST. MARGARET'S (Chapelry).

Footnotes

1 Lumley and Lambton, pareel of the Parish of Chester, are in Easington Ward.
2 See the concluding Portion, The City and Suburbs of Burham.