Nuthall

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

John Throsby

Year published

1790

Pages

252-256

Citation Show another format:

'Nuthall', Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: volume 2: Republished with large additions by John Throsby (1790), pp. 252-256. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=76845 Date accessed: 20 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Nuthall, Doomsd. Nutehale.

Here were in Nutehale two Mannors, whereof one was Tayn-land, and before the Conquest held by one Alchill, who answered for three bov. and an half to the Tax. (fn. 1) The Land being then returned so much, afterwards Aluric held of it of the King (William) and there had six vill. with two plows or two car. In the Confessours time this was valued at 10s. but when the Conquerour made his survey at 6s. 8d. The other Mannor was of William Peverells Fee, which before Aldene had, and was rated at four bovats and an half to the publick Geld or Tax. There Land was for so many Oxen. There William Peverell had one car. and an half, and four vill. four bord. having one car. small wood five qu. long, and one qu. broad. This kept the old value 10s. and had Soc in Broculstow and Watenot. The Church was dedicated to St. Patrick.

(fn. 2) Galf. de St. Patricio, Knight, gave his Church of Nuthale to the Priory of Lenton, which Roger Arch-bishop of Yorke confirmed, and after him Pope Lucius.

(fn. 3) The Sheriff accounted, 7 R. I, that Robert de St. Patric did then owe iii marks for having his Land of Nuthale, whereof Earl John had disseised him.

(fn. 4) John Earl Morton was at Nuthale when he granted to the Priory of Lenton, the Heath about the wood of Beskwood, and about his other woods in Nott. and Darbishires, witness Roger de Silan, and Raph Murdac.

(fn. 5) Norman de St. Patric was in the Sheriffs account, 9 R. 1, that he ought six marks, that he should not go over Sea in the third Army into Normandy, and for three Knights Fees of the honour of Peverell, for which, 10 R, 1, his Fine was 15l.

(fn. 6) William de St. Patric, 2 Joh. gave the King one mark for having a Jury of twelve free and lawful men of the Voisinage of Nutehall, who better knew the truth of the matter, and that they might be before King wherever he was in England, in the day after the close of Easter, ready to recognize (or try) on their oaths, whether his grandfather Gauf. de St. Patric gave the Church of Nutehale to the Priory of Lenton, and thereof made his Chartel in his lawful power, or in his sickness, whereof he died.

(fn. 7) They had suits most of King John's time about it, but it seems the Priory did not prevail, because it continued, and I think yet doth, to the Lords of Nutehall.

St. Patric's part was conveyed to Robert de Cokfeld, to hold for the fourth part of a Knights Fee, who had the rest of the Town. St. Patric's Inheritance and Blood is conceived to go to the Family of Aufreton: (fn. 8) for Robert de Cokfeld is certified to have held the fourth part of a Knights Fee in Nuthall, of the honour of Alfreton. His Predecessour Adam de Kocfeld gave to the Priory of Lenton 8s. yearly Rent to be paid by the Miller, out of his Mill of Nuthale; (fn. 9) and if it should fall, or be removed, or any thing else happen that it could not be had, he promised to make it good out of some other Land in the County. (fn. 10)


[Pedigree]

(fn. 11) Agatha de Cokefeld Lady of Nuthale, gave her Mill of Nuthale, scituate on the Rivulet between the Town and Henedeshill, to the Priory of Lenton, out of which those Monks were wont to receive 8s. yearly Rent, and together with the said Mill, the suit of all Nuthale, except her own House, so that men of Nuthale should alway grinde according to their due and ancient custom. She likewise granted, that if any of the men of Nuthale (except those who were Free when she conferred that Charter) should be intercepted grinding at another Mill, when he might grinde at that, it should be lawful for the Miller or any person else deputed by the said Monks to arrest him, and the sack with the Corn was to be the Monks; but the man so intercepted for his forfeit, was to be in the mercy of her and her heirs.

(fn. 12) Adam de Cokefeld, 7 Joh. had a half Knights Fee here: he was, I suppose, son of another Adam, and Lucia his wife, who were (fn. 13) benefactors to St. Maries by Northampton, and their grandson Robert de Cokefeld likewise.

(fn. 14) Robert de Cokefeld gave the Mannors of Nuthall and Basford to John de Cokefeld, a younger son, which, 10 E. 1, Robert, son of Adam de Cokefeld, claimed as heir of his grandfather Robert; but John produced a fine levied 46 H. 3, between himself and the said Robert the grandfather, whereby the said Robert was made but Tenant for life, which cast the Plaintiff in that suit. On the seal of John, son of Sir John Cokefeld, Knight, appendant to his Deed, bearing date 13 E. 2, within the circumscription of his name is, a plain Crosse Counter-compony.

(fn. 15) This Mannor by Fine, 12 E. 2, was settled on John de Cokefeld, and Margery his wife, and the heirs of their bodies; remainder to John his elder son, and the heirs of his body; remainder to Thomas another son, and the heirs of his; remainder to the right heirs of the said John de Cokefeld the father. Upon the back, Reginald, son of John de Cokefeld put to his claim.

Sir John de Cokefeld, Knight, 24 E. 3, had two sons Robert, and John; Robert, (fn. 16) 33 E. 3, was a Knight, who had issue John Cokefeld, Esquire, and Agnes; John married Margeret, and died without issue; Agnes was married to John Taylboys, Esquire, whose eldest son John Taylboys had a daughter and heir called Margaret, married (fn. 17) to John Ayscogh, Esquire, son of William Ayscogh the Judge.

(fn. 18) A Fine was levied, 22 H. 6, between John Cokefeld, Esquire, and Margaret his wife, Quer. and Richard Bingham, and William Foliamb, Deforc. of the Mannors of Nuthall and Baceford, with the appurtenances, and of ten mess. one toft, twenty bovats, and forty acres of land, and twenty acres of meadow, with the appurtenances, in Nuthall, Baceford, Radford, and Lenton, and the Advowson of the Church of Nuthall, whereby they were settled on John and Margaret, and the heirs males of their bodies; remainder to the heirs of the body of John; remainder to John Ayscogh, and Mararet his wife, daughter and heir of John Taylboys the younger, Esquire, and the heirs of their bodies; remainder to the heirs of the body of Margaret, the wife of John Ayscogh; remainder to the right heirs of Sir Robert Cokfeild, Knight. (fn. 19) By an Inquisition taken 14 Jun. 4 E. 4, after the death of Margaret, the wife of John Cokefeild, it appears, that after his death she married Raph Mounboucher, and that Thomas Folejamb, Esquire, was cousin and heir of the said Margaret, viz son of Thomas her brother, and then aged above forty years.

Sir Roger Ayscough, younger son of Sir Francis, viz. by the second venter, sold this Mannor to James Ayscough, or Asgill, a Merchant of London, who by his last Will appointed to be sold; and by reason of the Tenure, the third part became the Inheritance of Edward Ayscough, Esquire, a younger brother (or son) to Sir Edward Ayscough, the chief of the Family, by purchase from the heirs of James Ayscough. The other two parts of the Mannor are now the Inheritance of Richard Slater, Esq. the present owner.

The Rectory of Nuthyll was ten marks when Mr. Ascoghe was Patron. 'Tis now 3l. 14s. 9d. 0d. in the Kings Books, and Richard Slayter, Esquire, Patron.

On a Tomb, whereon are the Figures at length of the Man and his Wife, and five Children at the foot in half proportion, is inscribed:—

Here lyes Edward Boun, Gent. and Isabel his wife, daughter and heir of Edmund Hunt, Gent. which Edward died the 12th of Decemb. Anno 1558, and the said Isabel the 13th of July, Anno 1562. On whose Soules God have mercy, Amen.

In the South Window near the Pulpit:—Paly of six Arg. and Az. Strelley.

In the West end of the North Ile:—Gules, a Bend between six Crosse Fitchly Arg.

In the East end of the North Ile:—Chequey Or, and Azure, a Fesse Ermine.

On the top of the same Ile, in a Window over the Pew:—A Lion Rampant Sable, Crowned Or.

In the same Window:—Azure, three Cinquefoiles between five Crosse-Croslets Arg. Darcy.

In the middle Window:—Upon a Bend Vert three Martlets, Or.

[Throsby] Nuthall

Lordship is owned by the Honourable Henry Sedley. The village is small. Here is a neat church, dedicated to St. Patrick, of two aisles with a tower and two bells, A monument remembers James Farewel, Esq. son and heir of Sir John Farewel, Knt. he died in 1710, aged 63. Several of his kindred are remembered on floor-stones. In the family seat, is a figure of a man in armour, which I take to be that mentioned by Thoroton; but he speaks of two figures. This is all that remains and is well preserved, but partly hidden from sight. He appears in armour, and has something like broad rings on his fingers. Much of the glass painting remains which Thoroton has noticed. In this Church, Richard Slater, Esq. is remembered, patron (the inscription says,) of this place. He died in 1699, aged 64.

Patron, in 1761, Sir Charles Sedley. Incumbent, the Rev. Charles Nixon, Rector. K. B. 3l. 14s. 9d. halfpenny. Clear yearly value 31l. Archiepisc pro Syn. 4s. Archidiac pro Prox. 5s. Val. in mans. cum two bovats gleb. 1l. dec. &c. Richard Slater, presented in 1688, 1694, John Ellis, Cl. presented in 1729.

[Throsby] Nuthall Temple,

The seat of the Hon. Henry Sedley, stands on a fine plane, an easie distance from the village. It is a modern looking building. Facing this dwelling is a spacious paddoc; with but little of field embellishments.

By the representation annexed it may be seen that this dwelling is in a stile of singularity, and that it stands unsheltered from storms and tempests. If it were backed by lofty wood screens, it might, in some measure, take from its temple semblance, and prevent the sight of distant objects, and the surrounding landscapes seen from the eminent lookout on the crown of this seat. The woody scenery on the right and left of the temple, although apparently somewhat formal at a distance, possess a pleasing diversity; that of the latter is seen at an agreeable distance.

Its doom within is a beautiful display of fancy-work, and deserves the peculiar attention of the stranger. The gallery is supported by handsome pillars. This part of the interior of the dwelling, upon the whole, taking only a transient view around, has a light, airy and pleasing effect. Bacchus the God of wine, welcomes the visitor with a cheerful countenance.

The late occupier of this seat, Sir Charles Sedley, Bart. was a gentleman highly esteemed in this county, and will be long remembered for his amiable disposition. He died at Nuthall Temple, August 25, 1778, aged 58, leaving behind him one daughter, Miss Sedley, to whom he left the bulk of his fortune, who intermarried with the present possessor of this mansion, in 1779. This gentleman was the Hon. Henry Vernon, second son of Lord Vernon, then one of the Grooms of the Bedchamber to his present Majesty; but changed his name to Sedley, on account of his matrimonial connection. (fn. 20)

Footnotes

1 Lit. Dooms.
2 Reg. Lent. p. 6 & 7.
3 Pip. 7 R. 1.
4 Regist. de Lent. p. 12.
5 Rot. pip. 9 R. I.
6 Oblata 2 Joh. m. 2, Pip. 3 Joh.
7 Pasc. 1 Joh. ro. 3 in dor. Pasc. 11 Joh. ro, 8.
8 Test. de Nev.
9 Regist, de Lent, p. 6,
10 Ex Coll. G.B.
11 Ib.
12 Pip. 7 Joh.
13 Mon. Angl. vol. 1, p. 1018.
14 Pl. de Banc. Hill. 10 E. 1, ro. 71.
15 Fin. in Oct. S. Mart. 12 E. 2.
16 Ex. Con. J. E.
17 Claul. 22 H. 6, m. 17, Linc.
18 Adie Pasc. in 15, dies, 22 H. 6.
19 Esc. 4 E. 4, n. 38.
20 The late Sir Charles Sedley, was a Member of Parliament for the Town of Nottingham, and a Justice of the Peace for the County, and a Doctor of Laws of the University of Oxford. He was first chosen a Member of Parliament for Nottingham, May 26, 1747, and was re-elected again for Nottingham, at the general Election, 30th of June following. He had the honorary degree of Doctor of Civil Law conferred upon him at the opening of Dr. Radeliffe's library at Oxford, April 13. 1749. He declined standing at Nottingham, at the general Election, 1754, 1761, 1768, but was again chosen at the general Election, October 14, 1774. In April 1770, he was appointed by the late Earl of Chestenfield, Ranger and Keeper of his Majesty's chace, near Nottingham.


<--Previous:
Aldesworth
Next:-->
Bulwell