Beskwood Parke

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

John Throsby

Year published

1790

Pages

279-280

Citation Show another format:

'Beskwood Parke', Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: volume 2: Republished with large additions by John Throsby (1790), pp. 279-280. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=76854 Date accessed: 17 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Beskwood Parke.

King Henry the first granted to the Priory of Lenton, to have two carts to fetch dead Wood and Heath out of Bescwood. (fn. 1) King Henry the second granted that Covent to have every day two Carrs or three Carretts to bring them dead Wood or Heath as much as they should need for their own use.

(fn. 2) In the Inquisition taken at St. John's House in Nottingham, the fourth of the nones of July, in 35 H. 3, before Geoffrey Langley Justices of the Forest, it is called an Hay or Park of our Lord the King wherein no man commons.

In the Regard, 31 E. 3, the Kings Hay of Beskwood is said to be closed in with a pale, and to be then in the keeping of Richard de lawche [de la Vache] Knight.

(fn. 3) King Edward the third by his Letters Patents, dated at his Park of Beskwood, 1st Sept. 37 E. 3, pardoned and released certain Rents issuing out of Lindeby Hay, and Bullwell Rise, to the Priory of Newstede.

(fn. 4) The Wood of Beskwood was, 2 E. 3, granted to Richard de Strelley for his life, paying — the extent thereof yearly, having had an Ad quod Damnum; the same King, 22 Febr. 8 E. 3, (fn. 5) granted him all the dry Zuches, which in English were then called Stovenes or (Stubbes) within his Hay of Beskwood. This Richard Strelley is there stiled Dilecto valecto nostro.

(fn. 6) Philip de Willughby mentioned in Bullwell, about 33 E. 1, held one toft there, and two bovats of Land, with the appurtenances, by the service of being Forester in Beskewood, and likewise the fourscore acres, there noted, in Bullwell Ground. His brother William de Willughby was then found his heir.

It hath a very fair Lodge in it, and in respect of the pleasant scituation of the place, and conveniency of hunting and pleasure, this Park and Lodge hath for these many years been the desire and atchievement of great men: three Earls of Rutland had it, Roger, Francis, and George; before that Thomas Markham, a great courtier and servant to Queen Elizabeth, had it; and before him little Sir John Byron a great favourite to King Henry the eighth. It is now in lease to William Lord Willughby of Parham.

Before the troubles it was well stored with red deer. But now it is parcelled into little closes on one side, and much of it hath been plowed, so that there is scarce either wood or venison: which is also too likely to be the fate of the whole Forest of Shirewood.

[Throsby] Beskwood Park.

Here stands an old hall occupied by a Mrs. Barton. The Park is now thrown into farms, and Shirewood Forest is exactly in the state Thoroton judged it would be.

Footnotes

1 Regist. de Lent. p. 2.
2 Lib. Forest de Shirewood.
3 Regist. de Novo loco, 91.
4 Fin. 2 E. 3, m. S.
5 Plac Forest. 8 E. 3, rot. 28,
6 Esc. 33 E. 1, n. 14.


<--Previous:
Hucknall
Next:-->
Lindeby