MAUNSFEILD, and WOODHOUSE, and NETTLEWORTH.
In Maunsfeld King Edward the Confessour had a Mannor which paid to the Dane-geld
for three carucats, and six bovats. The Land was then nine carucats or plow-lands.
King William the Conquerour had there two car. or plows in Demesne, and five Sochmans on three bovats of this Land, and thirty-five Villains, twenty borders with nineteen
car. and an half, (fn. 1) one Mill, one Piscary 21s. twenty-four acres of meadow, pasture
wood two lev. long, and two broad; there were then two Churches and two Priests.—
Schegeby and Sutun were Berues or Hamlets of this great Mannor, the Sok whereof extended into Warsop, Clune, Carberton, Clumber, Buteby, Turesby, Thorp, Scoteby, Rounton,
Edenestowe, Grymeston, Echering, Mapelbek Besthorp, Carentune, Schitinton, Carenton, Raneby, Bodmescill. It had likewise Soc in Wardebec Wapentak, afterwards called Oswardebec
Sok and Mannor, being a great share of the further or Northerly part of Bersetlowe Wapentach, these other already named, being some in Broxtow, and some in Thurgarton and
Lee Hundreds, as in their proper places may be seen.
(fn. 2) William Rufus gave to the Church of S. Mary of Linc and Rob. the Bishop of
that Church, for the soul of his father, and of his mother, and his son, the Church of Oschinton (now Orston) and the Church of Chesterfelt, and the Church of Eseburn(now Ashbourne in Darbyshire) and the Church of Maunsfeld, and the Chappels which are in the
Berewies, which lie to the said four Mannors, with Lands and Tythes, and all things
which belonged to the said Churches in the time of King Edward: this gift was made
the day after that, on which his Arch-bishop Anselme was made his Leige man.
(fn. 3) Henry de Hastings held the whole Town of Maunsfeild with the Sok, viz. Wudebus, Sutton, and Nettlewurd, and received yearly of the Farm 32l. 3s. 10d.
(fn. 4) The King, 6 E. 2, granted the Mannor of Maunsfeld, with the Soke and Farm of
Lindeby, and Carleton Mill in this County, the Mannor of Geytington in Northantss. and
Harewell in Barkeshire to John Comyn after the death of John Comyn Earl of Boghan.
(fn. 5) John de Hastings, 12 E. 2, prayed the King concerning the Mannors of Maunsfeld, Oswoldbek, and Leirton in this County, which King Henry the third, that Kings
grandfather, gave to Henry de Hastings his great grandfather, and Ada his wife, in the
twenty-second year of his reign.
Oswardebek continued to that noble family of Hastings, as in that place may be seen.
But Queen Isabell, 3 E. 3, (fn. 6) claimed the Mannor of Maunsfeld, with the Soke belonging to it, and therein view of Frank pledge, and emendation of the Assize of Bread and
Ale broken, Pillory, Tumbrell, Gallows, Wrek, Weyf, and a Market every Thursday
throughout the year. At the same time Mr. Anthony de Bek, Dean of Lincolne, pleaded
that he was Parson (fn. 7) [Persona personata] in the Church of Maunsfeld, as in right of
his Deanery, and that he had diverse Tenants belonging to his said Parsonage, and that
he and all his Predecessours Deans of Lincolne, used to have Assife of Bread and Ale.
(fn. 8) Richard de le Vache, Knight, 35 E. 3, is called Lord of Maunsfeld, but it seems
he held it, but for life; (fn. 9) he had Rent of Assise here of the Free-holders 17l. 13s. 4d.
and two Water-mills worth 8l. per annum in the Town, and one in Maunsfeld Woodhonfe, and another in Sutton members of this Mannors, and 18d. Rent out of Carberton
Water-mill, and the Perquisits of Maunsfeld Court, then valued at x marks, and he had
likewise eight marks fix shillings and 8d. yearly Rent in Lindeby of the Tenants at Will.
(fn. 10) The King, 2 R. 2, March 12, committed the custody of the Mannor of Maunsfeld
to John the son of John de Burie, Knight.
(fn. 11) The Jury, 11 H. 6, found that Alianor, who had been wife of Nicolas Dagworth
Chr. when the died held the Mannor of Maunsfeld and Lindeby, and that John Inglefeild,
Esquire, was then her son and heir.
(fn. 12) King Henry the sixth, in the thirty-first year of his reign, granted the Mannors of
Maunsfeld and Lindeby to Edmund Earl of Richmond his brother, and Jasper Earl of
Pembroke, and likewise the Mannor, Demesne, and Town of Clipston in Shirewood.—
Henry Earl of Richmond, was son and heir of the said Edmund.
By Act of Parliament, 6 H. 8, the Mannors of Clipston, Lindeby, Maunsfeld, Maunsfeld Woodhonse, and Sutton in Ashfeild, amongst very many others in other Counties, were
settled on Thomas Duke of Norfolk (for his great Victory over the King of Scotland at
Floddenfeild) but were then exchanged by the King for some others: and this is now the
Inheritance and makes part of the Titles of his Grace the Duke of Newcastle..
(fn. 13) The Men of Maunesfeild, I Joh. gave the King fifteen marks for having Common
of Pasture in the Park of Clipeston, as they were wont to have it before the Park was
inclosed. King Henry the third, 11 H. 3, (fn. 14) granted the Men of Mansfeld, that they
and their heirs should have a Market at his Mannor of Maunsfeld, and commanded the
Sheriff accordingly. (fn. 15) It seems they gave the King five marks for his Charter to have
a Market there on Mondays. It appears, 14 H. 3, (fn. 16) that the Men of Maunsfeld are
to have Housebote and Haybote in the Forest of Shirewood. (fn. 17) And in 1 and 2 E. 3,
that the Tenants were to have Common of Pasture in a place called Woodhouse Wood.—
King Richard the second, in the first of his reign, granted a Fair every year on the
Feast of St. Peter.
(fn. 18) In a Forest Book of Parchment written 1520, or 1533, wherein are the Customaries of the Mannors of Arnall, Mauncefeld, Edwynstowe, and Southwell in this County,
and of Horeston and Bollesour in Darbishire, and to which is annexed that of Warsop in
Paper, the Customary of Mauncefeld begins thus, "Be it had in mynd that the Towne of
Maunsfeld Wodhouse was burned the Saturdaye nexte afore the Fest of Exaltation of the
holy Crosse, the yere of our Lord M, CCC, IIII. And the Kirk Stepull, with the Belles
of the same, for the Stepull wes afore of Tymber werke: And part of the Kyrk wes
burned." Afterwards there followeth several Heads of the Customs of the Mannor, as
That the "Tenaunts be fre of blode, and lefully may marye them after ther willes aswell
men as women. That the Eyres as sone as they bene borne byn of full age. That
Lands are departabil betwex sonnes, or doughters if ther be no sonne," and the like.
(fn. 19) William de Steynesby held some parcells of Lands in Mansfeld, and Mansfeld
Woodhouse for 3s. 1d. per annum, and had two sons found his heirs, and of full age according to the Custom of the Mannor, Jocelin nineteen years old, and Nicholas fourteen.
(fn. 20) The Jury, 12 R. 2, found that Godfrey Foljambe Chr son of Godfrey, son of
Godfrey Foljambe, Knight, held. when he died, one Mess. and half a Carucat of Land in
Mansfeld Woodhouse, ancient Demesne of the Mannor of Maunsfeld, by diverse Services,
viz. 13s. 4d. per annum Rent, and Suit to the Court from three weeks to three weeks, of
bei ngthe Kings Forester there, Frank-pledge, Constable of the Peace as oft as his course
shall happen, or he be chosen by the neighbours, &c. Alice his daughter being his
heir. Sir Robert Plumpton, Knight, was her husband, and about 11 H. 6, (fn. 21) died
seized of one bovat in Mansfeld Woodhouse, called Wolssiunt Land, and one essart in the
same Town at Wadgate near Woodhouse Mill, held by the Service of winding an Horn,
and driving or frighting the Wolves in the Forest of Shirewood; William Plumpton was
his son and heir by the said Alice. This amongst other Lands is now the Inheritance of
Sir John Digby, Knight, who hath his residence here.
Rowland Dand, Esquire, hath also an House and good interest here.
Sir William Willoughby, Baronet, had a House which Sir Thomas Blackwell built,
which is now Mr. William Pinkeneys, who hath made a Park towards Shirbrook and
Warsop this year 1673.
Mr. William Clarkson of Kirkton hath also an House here, and Richard Neale, and
William Chappell, D. D. the Reverend Bishop of Cork and Ross in Ireland was born
here: his brother John Chappell was also a learned man.
Richard Sterne, now my Lord Arch-bishop of York, was born at Maunsfeild.
(fn. 22) There were in the Church of Maunsfeild, before the time of Edward the sixth, ten
Chantries whose Lands Queen Mary gave in Fee to Christopher Granger, clark the Vicar,
and William Wilde, and John Chambers, the Churchwardens of the Parish Church of
Maunsfeild, by the name of the Governours of the Lands and Possessions of the Parish
Church of Maunsfeild, 24 Febr. 4 and 5 Ph. and Mar. to sustain one Chaplain or Priest.
(fn. 23) The Vicarage of Maunsfeild was 81. 'Tis now 7l. 7s. 6d. value in the Kings Books
and the Dean of Lincolne continueth the Patron.
(fn. 24) In the year 1339, John the Prior of Felley, and the Covent of the same, obtaining
the Church of Annesly for their proper uses, at the request of Robert Stuffyn of Neuwerk,
who had acquired and bestowed on them the Advowson of the Church of Avinburgh, besides many other Munificences, ingaged for themselves and their successours, to find a secular Chaplain, and to pay him and his successours six Marks of silver yearly, to pray
for the said Robert and Alice his wife, whilst they should live, and for the Squls of Richard Stuffyn, their Fathers, Mothers, and Ancestors, and for the Soul of John, son of
Hugh de Portesmouth of London; and after the Death of the said Robert and Alice, for
their Souls, and all the faithfull, at the altar of the blessed Mary, in the Church or Chapel of Mauunesfelld Wodhous; which said Robert Stuffyn during his life, in every vacancy was to present a fit Chaplain to the Archbishop of York, the See being full, or else to
the Dean and Chapter of York; and after his decease his sons Richard, Robert, William,
and James, which of them should survive him according to their seniorities, for their respective lives, within fifteen daies of the avoidance, afterwards the Prior of Felley, or if he
slipt the fifteen daies, the Vicar of Maunsfeild, and if he did, the Archbishop or Dean and
Chapter of York.
In Mansfeild Church South Isle East Window, —Arg. a Lion Ramp. sable amongst
Cinquefoiles Gules, Pierrepont, quartering Arg. fix Annlets sable, 2. 2. 2. Maunvers.
And Azure three Hedgehogs, Or, 2. 1. Heriz, with a Fox for the Crest, and two more
for supporters.—Sable, a Buck couchant Arg. impaling Arg. a Falcon rising Sable.
This is again in another South Window, and by it:—Arg. three Unicorns Heads
erased sable, impaling Gules, two Chevrons Arg.
In another England with a Bendlet Azure.
And in the same,—Azure three sixfoyles, and Crusuly Arg. Darcie.
In another South Window:—Bendy of six Arg. and Gules quartering Varry, and
Barry of six Or and Arg. and Gules a Crosse flory Arg. impaling a Tower Arg. and Nebule Or and Sable.—Azure three Flowers de Lis Arg. quartering Or three Palets Sable, quartering Gules a Lion Ramp. Arg.
In the top of another England.
In another South Window:—Varry Or, and Gules, Ferrars.—And Arg. three
Crossecroslets Fitche Sable, and on a Chief Azure three Mullets pierced Or.
On a Tomb of — Blackwell:—Arg. a Greyhound in course sable, and on a
Chief indented of the second, three Beasants, quartering Erm. on a Bend Gules three Escallops Or, impaling Azure a Chevron Erm. between three Gryphins heads erased Arg.
—The Crest a Dog head and neck coliared cooped.
Leland's account of this place is not favourable.—" Soone after I entered within a
mile or less into the very thick of the woody forest of Shirewood, where is great game of
deer, and so I rode a v miles in the very woody ground of the forest, and so to a little pore
street a thoroughfare at the end of this wood." (fn. 25)
Among the towns in the forest, Mansfield claims the pre-eminence, whose name some
bring in to confirm the claim of the German family of that name to antiquity, asserting that
the first Earl of Mansfield, whom they fetch from hence, was one of king Arthur's Round
Table. Our Kings used to repair hither for the pleasure of the chase, and to use the
words of an old inquisition, "Henry Fauconberge held the mannor of Cuckney, in ferjeantry by the service of shoeing the King's palfrey when the King came to Mansfield."
The manor came by descent to the Portland family, who now enjoy it. And I find
that the Duke of Portland, liberally, gives permission to any gentleman to kill game.
At present Mansfield is a flourishing and genteel market town, in general well built;
but the approach to it, the Southwell road, is low and extremely sandy. The entrance
here is a counter part so Sneinton, near Nottingham, for as in that place here you see
several dwellings in this, cut out of the sandy rock, and the chimnies of the habitations standing above the surface of the earth made thro' the rock.
The late Earl of Mansfield took his title from this town
Mansfield is certainly an ancient place, and some think of high antiquity, as Roman
Coins of Vespasian, Constantinus, Antoninus Pius, Marcus Aurelius, and others have been
found in and near the town; and the discovery near Mansfield Woodhouse, related page
173, is an indisputable proof of the Romans having a station or settlement in this neighbourhood.
The narrow street, coming out of Mansfield, to Warsop, is called Leming Lane; it
is remarkable that there are two other Roman Roads so called, one in Essex, the other
is well known in Yorkshire. Leming, it should be understood, is a British word, signifying a stony way, Lhe a way, and Mean a stone; great part of the road to Woodhouse is
upon a rock. There are some very old Houses, but the most ancient is supposed to be
that in Church-street, now the White-Hart Inn, which was, temp. Hen. 8, the residence
of Lady Cicily Flogan, —fee figure I, the small House adjoining was formerly
a part of it. I do not find that there are any traditional accounts of Lady Flogan's Family, nor was there an inscription on her Monument. This good Lady was a great friend
to the Church and Parish of Mansfield, as appears by her Will; and by a singular Donation, she enjoins the Tenants of certain Lands, which are now called Bull Land and Boar
Land, to keep a stout and able Bull and Boar for the use of the Parish; as this is not
mentioned in her Will, it was probably given in her life time. (fn. 26)
Moot-Hall in this place is where the County Meetings are generally held, on account
of the central situation of Mansfield.
A Copy of Lady Flogan's Will.
Here is a Free School founded by Queen Eliz. with two Scholarships of 10l. each per
annum, at Jesus College Cambridge. It is governed by a head Master and Usher. Two
thirds of the Church Lands go to the Vicar, two thirds of the remainder to the Master
of the School, and the remainder to the Usher. (fn. 27)
There are now several considerable Manufactories in Mansfield: Messrs. George and
Richard Burden have one in Cotton and Thread; Messrs. Stantons, in Cotton and
Thread; Messrs. Stanford and Burnside in Cotton, and a Foundery; Messrs. Smith and
Sidons, Weaving; Messrs. Bagshaw, Walker and Sims, in Woollen; Mr. Aeton, one
of Chimney Pieces, a composition laid on stone and coloured, a good imitation of foreign
Marbles; Stocking Manufactories; a great trade in Free Stone, particularly with Nottingham; and the Malt Trade is still carried on with success
In consequence of its extensive Commerce, this opulent Town encreases much.
The late Vicar, the Rev. Mr. Plumbtree of a very ancient and respectable Family
in this County, died in Feb. 1782 and was succeeded by the Rev. John Durham, the
present worthy Vicar.
Register of the Parish of Mansfield from the Year 1753 to 1792.
Colonel Litchfield has an estate and houses in Mansfield parish. In the year 1762, he
built a good house at the east end of the Town, called Ractliffe-gate where he resides.
When the Duke of Kingston raised a regiment of light horse, Col. Litchfield was appointed a Lieutenant, and served in that corps at the battle of Culloden, where that regiment distinguished themselves by their gallant behaviour. In the Year 1747, he got a
troop in the Duke of Cumberland's regiment of light horse. In the Year 1761, he was
appointed Leiut. Col. to the 7th regiment of dragoons, which he commanded at the batle of Herenhauzen. On the peace he retired to Mansfield.
In Mansfield was born Dr. William Chappell, and educated in grammaticals here,
bred up in Arts and Sciences in Christ's College, Cambridge, Dean of Cassels, Provost
of the College of the Holy Trinity at Dublin, and at length Bishop of Corke and Rosse,
in Ireland. He was a close reasoner and a very notable disputant, but favoured Mr. Perkins and his side. He got a name of killing his respondent by this accident. At the
publick commencement at Cambridge, solemnized in the presence of King James I. Dr.
Roberts of Trinity-College, being respondent in St. Mary's, Mr. Chappel opposed him
so close and subtilly, that the Doctor not being able to solve or answer his arguments, fell
into a swoon, so that the King, to hold up the commencement, undertook to maintain the
Thesis, which Chappell prest so home, that the King thanked God the opponent was his
subject, and not another's, left he should lose his throne, as well as the chair. In the
beginning of the late rebellion in Ireland he came into England, and having lived a very retired life a few years, died at Derby in 1649, and was buried at Bilsthorpe in this
county,—see page 194, vol 3.
John Gladwin Esq. has an estate, and houses in Mansfield parish, he is of an ancient
family in Derbyshire. His brother the late general Gladwin enjoyed the paternal estate
at Stubbin near Chesterfield.
Monday Sep. 5, 1757, there was a great riot at Mansfield on account of the Militia
act, as there had been in several other places, when the gentlemen of the county were proceeding to business, a mob of about 500 persons entered the room and demanded the papers of names of persons liable to serve, which had been delivered by the respective constables; being refused, they took the papers by force, and carried them in triumph through
the streets of Mansfield, and those gentlemen they met in their rout they ill treated, among whom was Sir George Savile.
The Church of Mansfield is dedicated to St. Peter, and is a commodious place of worship. Thoroton, above, has noticed the lands and mentioned the ten chantries within
this church. In addition to what he has given as church notes. The following are
from Gervais Holles M. S. S. collections in Bibl. Harl. Brit. Mus.
In Fenestris Chori.
"In a pane a Man in complete armour white, parcell guilt, his head bare, his lookes
yellow, before him a booke open lying as it were upon a carpet, embroydered with cincquefoyles kneeling upon a carpett, his hands closed and elevated. Underneath written.
Orate pro anima Pierpont.
In the next pane, a woman in red kneeling, hir handes closed and elevated.
In the next a man with a shaven crowne kneeling, a booke open before him.
Blakewall unus Magistrorum.
A brasse plate on a gravestone.—"Here lyeth the corps of John Chambers, and Alys
his wife, who lived in the feare of God 33 yeares, and had issue together seven sonnes,
and seven daughters, and when they had thus well run their race John departed this life
godlily, and alys forsaking this worlde did cleave unto Christ, who receaved hir unto his
mercy the first day of April, 1564. God grant them a joyfull resurrection in Christ Jesus their Savyour. Amen."
On the left hande under the northe end of the altar lieth Dorothy, the first wife of
Gervas Holles, of Great Grimesby, in the County of Lincolne, Esq. together with her
little infant, of whom she died in childbirth, boeth under a square Freestone without
Lady Cicily Flogan's monument remains,—see plate, page 313, fig. 2, it has no inscription upon it, and is very difficult to come at being blocked up by a pew.
Patron, Dean of Lincoln. Incumbent, Rev. John Durham, who succeeded the Rev.
Mr. Plumptree, (of a very ancient and respectable family in this county, who died in
February 1782.) K. B. 7l. 7s. 6d. Yearly tenths 14s. 9d. Archipisc. pro Syn. 5s.
Archidiac pro Prox. 7s. 6d. Val. in mans. ib. per ann. 6s. 8d. in pecun. voc Holy
bread Sliver 6s. 8d. dec. fœn. toft. pros. anc. ov. lin. &c.
Berry Hill, within a mile of Mansfield, is the estate of William Bilbie, Esq. now in
the Army, his Father greatly improved the house and grounds, which are laid out with
taste, the views are pleasing and extensive, it is situated on the edge of the forest.
The late Mr. Bilbie died about the latter end of the year 1785, he left three sons and
three daughters, William now in the army, is nineteen years of age, Joseph apprentice
to a wine merchant at Hull, Thomas is with a merchant at Liverpool, Mary, Ann, and
Shirewood hall is a good house, pleasantly situated upon the forest, about a mile from
Mansfield, it was built about twenty seven years ago, by Col. Kellet, who was formerly
Lieut. Col. of the Blues, and commanded that corps in germany in 1759. The grounds
are ornamented with plantations of firs and variety of shrubs, Col. and Mrs. Kellet,
now reside there.
Is a very respectable large village, in it are several good houses. It is, and has been, the
residence of many respectable families.
Sir John Digby mentioned by Thoroton in his account of Mansfield Woodhouse,
married Lucy, daughter of Thomas Trygget, Esq. of South Kirkby, in the county of
York, by whom he had John, Simeon, and Elizabeth; John married Frances Pinckney
of Mansfield Woodhouse, had issue John and Lucy; John married Jane, daughter of
Sir Thomas Wharton, Knight of the Bath, had issue one son and seven daughters, John
died unmarried the third of August, 1728. Frances married Sir Thomas Ledger, Bart.
Jane married Frances Fycher, Esq. of Grantham Grange; Philadelphia married Sir
George Cayley, Bart. Mary married George Cartwright, Esq. of Ossington; Priscilla
and Henrietta died unmarried; Lucy married Dr. Richard Asbaldiston Bishop of
London. These daughters sold a large house with some lands in Mansfield Woodhouse,
to John Hall, Esq. in the year 1736; John Hall, Esq. married Hester, daughter of
Bassidale Brownsmith, Esq. of London; had issue two sons and two daughters, Urban,
Francis, Hester, and Martha; Urban Hall, Esq. married Mary Gould, daughter of
Edward Gould, Esq. of Mansfield Woodhouse, by whom he has two sons and one
daughter; Henry, and John both in the army, and Maria unmarried. Francis Hall,
above mentioned, was a Lieutenant Col. in the Guards and killed in America. Hester
married the Earl of Sussex, she died in January 1777: Martha married Thomas Durell,
Esq. The above-mentioned John Hall, Esq. likewise purchased of the aforesaid coheiresses of Sir John Digby, an estate called the Park, part in Woodhouse parish and
part in Warsop, where Urban Hall, Esq. now resides. The house in Mansfield Woodhouse he sold with some land, to Sir William Boothby, Bart. who died at Bath in the
year 1787, he left his estates in Oxfordshire and Nottinghamshire, to Sir Brook Boothby,
Bart. who succeeded to the title; his personal property he left to Major William Boothby.
The house and land of the late Sir William Boothby at Woodhouse, was sold in the year
1789 to Mrs. Ramsden, of a very ancient and respectable family in Yorkshire, now a
widow; she has two sons and two daughters, Robert, John, Cathrine and Charlotte;
Robert married Mrs. Smith, widow of Abel Smith, Esq. of Nottingham, by whom he
had two sons and one daughter, all young. The Rev. John Ramsden married Miss
Cook, daughter of Sir George Cook of Wheatly, in Yorkshire, by whom he has one
son: Catharine and Charlotte are unmarried.
The house and estate of Richard Neal, mentioned in Thoroton, came to his only son
John, who married Ann, daughter of Philip Pendock, Esq. had issue by her, two sons and
three daughters, John, Richard, Ann, Maria, and Jane; John left issue three sons,
Pendock, John and Thomas; Pendock sold the mansion house at Woodhouse, to Selwood Hewett Esq. and the lands to Ralph Knight Esq. Selwood Hewett Esq sold the
House to Martin Bird Esq. who in three years after, sold it to Henry Thornhill Esq.
and he in less than a month, sold it to Edward Gould Esq. who married Mary the daughter of Robert Thoroton Esq. of Sreveton, Nottinghamshire, by whom he had three sons
and three daughters, Edward Thoroton, James, Thomas, Mary, Jane and Elizabeth.
Edward Thoroton Gould Esq. married Lady Barbara Yelverton, daughter of the Earl
of Sussex, who died the 9th of April 1781, by whom he had one son and two danghters, Henry, Barbara, (who died young) and Mary. Edward Thoroton Gould, married
in the year 1791, Miss Dormer, daughter of Lord Dormer of Grove-Park in Warwickshire, and who now resides at Woodhouse; in the year 1792, he was High Sheriff of
the County, Colonel of the Militia, and one of his Majesty's Justices of the Peace.
James, above mentioned, died in the East Indies, Thomas lives in Mansfield, Mary
married Urban Hall, Esq. as before mentioned, Jane married Bache Thornhill, Esq. of
Stanton, in the county of Derby, Elizabeth married counsellor Balguy, of Duffield, in
the same county.
The estate of the Chappels at Woodhouse, was vested in John Chappel Esq. whose only daughter, Elizabeth, married William Mompesson, Vicar of Mansfield, and by him
left Issue, Margaret, who married Ralph Hethcot, D. D. who died in the year 1792.
Mary, widow of William Woodhouse, M. D. and Ann Mempesson, who now lives in
the family house at Woodhouse, and enjoys part of that estate.
The house and estate of William Pinckney, mentioned in Thoroton, was left by him
to his widow, she sold it to John, Duke of Newcastle, who devised his estates to his Nephew Lord Pelham, who was afterwards created Duke of Newcastle, he settled them on
his Nephew Lord Lincoln, late Duke of Newcastle, who exchanged this estate at Woodhouse, with the present Duke of Portland, for other lands in Nottinghamshire.
The late Henry Thornhill Esq. resided in the house several years, and died there in
1792, it is now rented by Mr. Dowland, an eminent land surveyor.
Rowland Dand, Esq. had a large house and lands here, he had one son, John, who left
three daughters, Margaret, Mary, and Elizabeth who married Doctor Greenwood, M. D.
These three coheiresses, sold the estate to John, Duke of Newcastle, in the year 1701,
from whom it came to the present Duke of Newcastle: a Farmer now rents the house.
The house and estate of William Clarkson, Esq. mentioned in Thoroton, came by inheritance to his grandson, John Clarkson, who sold them to Ralph Knight, Esq. who devised them to his Nephew John Knight, Esq. the present possessor, the house is now tenanted by the farmer who rents the land.
Hayman Rooke Esq. has a residence half way between Mansfield and Woodhouse.
This dwelling, which appears to be calculated for retirement and study, is enriched
with a selection of things valuable to a mind like Mr. Rooke's. This gentleman, cherishing through life, a natural propensity to the study of ancient things, luckily took up his
residence near a spot, enriched with some of the highest traces of antiquity. The Roman villa, which he discovered in the neighbourhood, and the fine tessellated pavement,
near, which he has carefully preserved by an erection over it, must be a pleasing circumstance of his life. (fn. 28) Where could genius, after approaching the meridian of life in social duties, when friendly contemporaries have passed from life in succession with the fleeting hours, seek for consolation but in retirement, in converse with the past, in preference
of the present order of things. Here, waving a particular description of this dwelling,
every thing seems suited to its owners taste and convenience.
Woodhouse Chapel is dedicated to St Edmund. Rev. John Wright was licenced to
the curacies of Woodhouse and Skegby, 19th of December, 1787, patron, Dean of Lincoln, certified value 40l. 13s. 4d. in bacon. (fn. 29)
Sir John and Lady Digby has a monument here. Roland Dand, Esq. Mrs Pinckney, maid of honor to Queen Ann, and Pendock Neal, Esq. are also remembered in
A small tablet on the outside of this Chapel, at the east, is placed for William Tunstal, who was in the rebellion in the year 1715, taken prisoner at Preston, and aftewards
received a pardon.
By the Register it appears that there is but little variation in the population of this
place lately. The first five years beginning with 1753, Baptisms 122. Buried 93.
The last five years ending with 1792, Baptisms 152. Buried 93.
December 8, 1783, died at Bishop's Court, in the Isle of Man, the Rev. George Mason,
D. D. Lord Bishop of Soder and Man. This prelate was a native of Mansfield Woodhouse, and was promoted to that see in 1780.
As Cockglode is a place much admired in this county, a view of it may probably
be acceptable,—see plate, page 245. The Duke of Portland in the year 1776, granted
a Lease of the premises to George Aldrich, M. D. who built an elegant house, adapted
to its situation, laid out the wood advantageously, and finished the whole uniformly in
the year 1778. The house stands upon a gentle rise of ground, commanding a variety of
views, which include a number of objects that contribute to pleasure.