Nettleworth

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

John Throsby

Year published

1790

Pages

321-323

Citation Show another format:

'Nettleworth', Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: volume 2: Republished with large additions by John Throsby (1790), pp. 321-323. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=76862 Date accessed: 22 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

NETTLEWORTH

Is an Hamlet also of Maunsfeild, and lies between it and Warsop, of which Parish it is part.

(fn. 1) William de London, 7 R. 1, gave account of ten marks for half a Knights Fee, and for certain Lands of the Serjeantry in Nettlewurd, and Warechip, and Tineslaw.

(fn. 2) The Jury, 33 H. 3, found that William de London held half a Mess. and four bovats of Land in Nettlewurd, of the King in Capite, of the Sok of Maunsfeld, and forty six acres of Land in Demesne, worth 6d. an acre per annum, and thirteen bovats in Villanage, each worth 3s. 4d. yearly, and ten Cottages worth 10s. 11d. per annum, and 18d. of one Free-holder for one bovat of Land, and one Mill worth 20s. per annum, of Geoffrey de Bakepuz, and Emycina his wife, by the Service of half a Knights Fee, and 5s. 4d. per annum, and they held it of Malvesinus de Hercy, and Theophania his wife, and they of the honour of Tikhill. This William died in the time of King Henry the third (fn. 3) without issue, and left three or four sisters and heirs, whereof Elizabeth and Elianor died without issue, and Isabel likewise, who entred into Religion at Ambresbury, and was there profess'd, (fn. 4) so that Walter Bret claimed the Land as son of Richard, son of Eva, sister and heir of the said William de London, against Henry de Tyneslawe, who was son of Dionysia, another sister, and had his share accordingly, but Walter le Bret pleaded that he was a Bastard, which the Arch-bishop of York had a Mandate to enquire of.

(fn. 5) The Jury, 15 E. 2, found that William de Tynneslaw held in Nettlewurd the site of a Mannor, and thirty acres of Land in Demesne, of the King in Socage of the ancient Demesne of Maunsfeild, by the Service of 5s. yearly, and suit to Maunsfeld Court from three weeks to three weeks. He held in Netleworth and Warshop Lands and Tenements of Stacy Mortein, as of the Mannor of Grove, by the Service of the sixth part of a Knights Fee, in Netleworth ten acres of Land, and in Warshop seven bovats, &c. and that Walter de Tynneslawe was then his brother and heir, and above fifty years old.

(fn. 6) Bertram de Bolyngbrok, and Johan his wife, 42 E. 3, granted and demised all their Lands and Tenements in Netelworth, as well those of the Fee of Maunsfeld, as those of the Fee of Tikhill, to Wiliiam de Netelworth, and Maud his wife, during their lives of the longer liver of them, and one year after, reserving 20s. a year Rent.

(fn. 7) There was an assize, 11 H. 6. between Thomas Thalworth, Knight, Richard Stanhope, Knignt, John Bowes, and others, Demandants, and Thomas Seagrave, and Galfr. Segrave, concerning two Mess. twelve Acres of Land, and eight Acres of Meadow, and the moyety of the Mannor of Netylworth, with the Appurtenances in Netylworth, Sulkholme, Warsop, Sterthorp, and Kellum.

(fn. 8) Francis Molyneux, Esquire, and Robert Flecher, 6 Eliz. claimed against William Wylde, Gentleman, the Mannor of Netylworth, with the Appurtenances, and five Mess. five Tofts, — Gardens, one hundred Acres of Lan, eighty of Meadow, eighty of Pasture, sixty of Wood, two hundred of Furz and Heath, and 3s. 4d. rent in Nettylwortd and Warsop, who called to warrant Nicholas Denman Esquire, (who had a share of Sir John Hercyes estate of Grove.) William Wylde of Nettleworth married Ellen, daughter of Anthony Staunton, of Staunton, Esquire, as in that place noted.

(fn. 9) Sir Gilbert Dethick alias Garter, principal King of Arms, by his Letters Patents bearing date 16 Octob. 3 Eliz. granted to William Wyld of Netleworth in the County of Nott. that he and his posterity should bear Gold, a Fece between three Harts Head, raced sables, Horned and Langued Gules, and for the Crest a Demy Buk cooped sables, with a Crown and Ring about his neck, Horned and Hoved Gold. (fn. 10) In the year of our Lord 1757, and 15 of June, 17 Eliz. Robert Cooke Clarencieux, confirmed to Robert Wylde of London, Gentleman, fourth son of William Wylde of Nettelworth, Gent. to bear sables, a Chevron ingrailed, and on a chief Silver three Martlets of the Field: the Crest the same with the former, and on a Schedule annexed to the Patent, were the first Arms quartering these in the second place.

(fn. 11) William Wylde, and Alice his Wife, were admitted Tenants at Maunsfeild Court, there held 7 Apr. 4 Eliz. to all the Lands and Tenements, and other Hereditaments, which ought to descend to the said Alice, after the death of Richard Walker her brother.

(fn. 12) Gervase Wylde of Nettleworth, in the Parish of Warsop, Gent. 35 Eliz. enfeossed Thomas Peake of Grayes Innc, and Paul Divall of Edwinstow, in all his moyety of the Mannor of Nettleworth, for the Joynture of his wife Margaret, who was widow of Anthony Burgess of Nottingham. This Gervase Wylde, in his younger time, was bred a Spanish Merchant, and was some time a Factor in Andalusia, from whence being returned he was Captain of a Ship in 1588, against the Spanish Armado, where he made use of Arrows with long Steel heads shotout of muskets, some of which he left at Nettleworth, where he lived to a great age 93, and his son William Wylde, if he be now living (as he was in 1668,) is 80, this year 1673, whose son and heir William Wylde, is now Servant to the Right Honourable the Marquess of Dorchester. Sir John Digby hath not long since made a Park at Nettleworth.

[Throsby] Nettleworth

Is a hamlet of Mansfield. The old mansion here, which had been for several centuries the habitation of the respectable family of the Wyldes, was pulled down, and the present modern house erected in 1785, by the late Mr. Wylde, who dying when it was nearly completed, it descended, together with the estate in this place, to his son William Wylde, Esq. who is now a student in Emmanuel College, Cambridge.

The reader will perceive in Thoroton's account of this place, above, that Gervas Wylde, a spanish merchant, was a captain of a ship in 1588, in the english fleet, opposed to the Spanish armada, where he made use of arrows with long steel heads, shot out of muskets, some of which he left at Nettleworth. The Rev. Mr. Wylde of Nottingham, rector of St. Nicholas of that place, has now in his possession, three of the very arrows, and a portrait of that sea officer, who had a share in the glorious victory over that mighty armament: a sketch of one of the arrows is here represented, which I sketched at that Gentleman's house at Nottingham in 1795. The arrows are 18 inches long; the wood oak.

Footnotes

1 Pip. 7 R. 1.
2 Esc. 33 H. 3, n. 55,
3 Pl. & Esson. 9 E. 1, apud Nott. ro. 53.
4 Pl. de Banc. Trin. 12 E. 1, ro. 31.
5 Esc. 15 E. 2, n. 28.
6 Ex Auteg. pen. Will. Wilde, Gen.
7 Trin. 11 H. 6, ro. 105.
8 Hill. 6 Eliz. apnd Hert. rot. 160.
9 Autog. pen. Will. Wilde, Gen.
10 Autog. pen, eund. W. W.—
11 Autog. Ib.
12 Autog. pen. eund W. W.


Next:-->
Blidworth