EVERTON, SCAFTWORTH, HARWELL.
In Everton of the arch-bishop of Yorks Soc of Sudton was one car. and ¼ of a bovat, and
in Scaftord one car. ad Geldam.
(fn. 1) In Evretone and Hereuuelle of the fee of Roger de Busli in Oswardebec Wapentac,
soc to Burton, there was two bov. ¾, ad Geldam. The land one car. There one sochm.
had half a car. and one acre and an half of meadow, pasture wood one qu. long, one
broad. And likewise in Heruuelle and Evretone sok to Grengeley three bov. 1–3rd, ad Geldam. The land one car. There one sochm. one vill. had half a car. and three acres
of meadow, pasture wood five qu. long, two qu. broad.
(fn. 2) Roger arch-bishop of York, who lived in the time of king Henry the second, gave
the church of Everton to the chapel which he founded near York minster, as in East Retford is said, and his successour Sewall in the year 1258, (fn. 3) ordained that the vicar of
Everton should have the altarage, and the whole land of the church, with an inclosure
in Harwell Inge, or half a mark out of the purse of the Sacrist, and the tythe of the hay
beyond the town of Scaftworth, directly towards Bawtrey, and the tythe hay of Birthinge,
and the said Sacrist was to find a dwelling house for the said vicar, or to give him half a
mark yearly for a house, and there the said Sacrist was also to give to the poor three
marks per annum.
(fn. 4) William de Haplisthorp at Darby, 53 H. 3, offered himself the fourth day against
Simon, son of William, concerning a plea of one mess. and the moyety of one bovat in
Everton, and against Sigrida de Sutton, Adam and Jordan her sons, of one mess. and
one bovat in the same town, and against Robert, son of Gilbert de Hayton, and Cecilia
his daughter, of the moyety of a bovat, except two acres, and they came not, &c.
(fn. 5) The jury, 26 E: 1, found that John Freschevede held in the town of Herewell,
one bovat of land in demesne, seven natives (or villains) holding five bov. in villenage:
Of the manor of Wheatley he held also of the king in capite, paying 12d. per annum,
and making two appearances at the court of Wheatley; and that he was a bastard, and
had no heirs, and therefore the land was taken into the kings hands as an eschaet.—
Another inquisition found that he held six bov. of land, and 20s. and 1d. rent in Herewell, and that William was his father, and infeossed him of the said land and rent to
hold to him, and the heirs of his body; in default whereof to Simon de Freskenade,
and Arnald his brother, and their heirs, to whom the land ought to descend; and that
Arnald died at the feast of the purification of Mary, 26 E: 1. (fn. 6)
Thomas de Maresay, mentioned in Gamelston, held about that time in Everton a capital mess. in demesne, and held five bovats of arable land in socage of Thomas archbishop of York, paying 6s. 2d. per annum, and suit of court.
(fn. 7) There was a fine levied, 19 E: 2, between James Spinay, and William de Cliff,
clark, quer. and Robert Spinay, clark, deforc. of the manors of Everton and Scaftworth,
thereby settled on the said James, and the heirs of his body; remainder to William
his brother, and the heirs of his; remainder to Alice his sister, and her heirs. William
de Cliff, and James de Spinay, in an assize taken 2 E: 3, (fn. 8) recovered their seisin of
one mess. and forty acres of land, and twenty of meadow in Scaftworth, and twenty marks
for damage against John de la Cressover, and William his son, and others.
(fn. 9) The jury, 33 E: 3, found that John de Grey of Rotherfeild held when he died
one toft, with a certain garden, and sixty acres of land, ten of meadow, with the appurtenances in Everton of the arch-bishop of York by the service of 8s. per annum, and
that John his son was his next heir.
(fn. 10) John Helwys, clark, and John Hanley, 21 H: 7, claimed against JohnCley, esq.
one mess. three tofts, eighty acres of land, twelve of meadow, 2s. rent, and two fishings
in the water of Idell, with the appurtenances in Skafteworth and Raunswell.
(fn. 11) Reginald Pegge, George Emeryson, and Henry Wyat, esquire, 22 H: 7, claimed
against Richard Wyat, clark, and John Scotte, esquire, one mess. one hundred and
twenty acres of land, forty of meadow, eight of wood, and 2s. and 6d. rent, with the
appurtenances in Everton, Harewell, Sturton, and Clayworth, who called John Clay to warrant: these are named again in Finningley.
(fn. 12) John Twyselton, Edward Lee, Raph Rowlett, and others, 11 H: 8, claimed
against Roger Copley, esquire, the third part of the manor of Scaftesworth, with the appurtenances, and the third part of twenty mess. ten cottages, three hundred acres of
land, forty of meadow, twenty of wood, three hundred acres of more, and 3s. 4d. rent,
with the appurtenances in Scaftesworth, Clareburgh, Wellome, Walesby, Boughton, and Grynley. (fn. 13) The same persons claimed against Richard Devenysshe, esquire, the like third
part and parcels. (fn. 14) The same persons also claimed against sir Richard Carew, knight,
the like third part and parcels.
(fn. 15) John Markham, knight, Seth Snawsell, Thomas Langton, John Chapman, Will.
Burdon, clark, Adam Langley, and others, 19 H: 8, claimed against Edmund Moly
neux, Robert Chaloner, and Richard Chirden, fifteen mess. one hundred acres of
land, one hundred of meadow, one hundred of pasture, one hundred of heath, two
hundred of more, two hundred of marsh, and a certain fishing, also the moyety of
the manor of Herwell, with the appurtenances in Herwell and Everton, and called to
warrant Thomas Wentworth, knight, John Markham, knight, Edmund Molyneux,
esquire, Seth Snawsell, esquire, Robert Chaloner, Raph Aunger, and others. 20
H: 8, (fn. 16) claimed against Thomas Wentworth, the younger, esquire, and Anne his
wife, six mess. three cottages, one hundred acres of land, sixty of meadow, forty of
more, fifty of marsh, and 15d. rent, with the appurtenances in Everton and Herwell,
and called to warrant Thomas Wentworth, knight.
(fn. 17) George Lassells, esquire, 37 H: 8, claimed against Richard Towneley, esq.
the manors of Gatford, Everton, and Harwell, with the appurtenances, and one hundred and twenty mess. forty tofts, one dovecote, one hundred and twenty gardens,
one hundred and twenty orchards, two thousand acres of land, two hundred of meadow, one thousand of pasture, two hundred and fifty of wood, one hundred of more,
forty of turbary, and 40s. rent, with the appurtenances in Gateford, Everton, Harwell, Worsop, Shyreokes, Est Retford, West Retford, Grynley, Hayton, Wellome, Moregate, Bole, Babworth, Ordesall, Styrton, Eton, Milneton, Little Markham, Blyth, Ravenskill, Torworth, Madersey, and Kylton.
(fn. 18) Robert Northfeild, 2 Eliz. claimed against Christopher Twiselton, esquire, the
manor of Scaftworth, and one mess. four tofts, &c. with the appurtenances, in Mattersey, Scrowby, Everton, and Harwell.
(fn. 19) There was a mess. and certain houses, lands, &c. late belonging to the priory
of Matersey in Everton, 24 July, 4 & 5 Ph. and Mar. granted to William Rigges, esq.
and William Buckbert, gent.
The principal house and lands in Everton, at this day belong to the corporation of
Newarke, and were demised to Mr. Rogers their tenant.
They have a manor in Harwell, which was Wentworths heretofore I suppose.—
Thomas Magnus bought it and gave it Anthony Gylby, who was lieutenant colonel to
sir John Digby in Newark garrison, and as I take it is now tenant.
(fn. 20) The owners of Everton cum Scaftworth in 1612, are thus set down, the lady
Portington, widow, George Nevell, gent. Robert Williamson, Timothy Broomehead of North Wheatley, Richard Drewe, senior, Robert Howton, Roger Harrison,
Robert Flower, Peter Hallam, Nicolas Bonner, Stephen Wood, John Cowper,
Richard Drewe, Henry Flower, Widow Hill, John Booth, John Wilson, William
Hollingworth, Thomas Richardson, Hercy Norfolk, William Fitz-Williams, gent.
sir George Chaworth, Nicolas Sanderson, Henry Webster, gent. George Tomkinson,
John Hydes, Thomas Broomehead, Robert Catstine, Richard Bridg, William Rogers,
esquire, Edward Reynes.
(fn. 21) The vicarage of Everton was ten marks when the Sacrist of St. Maries ot York
was patron: 'Tis now 7l. 2s. 3d. 0b. value in the kings books, and the earl of Devonshire patron.
Lordship was enclosed in 1759. It is partly clay and partly sand land. Lord
of the manor, the archbishop of York, as part of his soke of Southwell and Scrooby.
The chief proprietors the feoffees of Newark, the archbishop of York, J. Acklom,
esq. the heirs of William Dawson, and others. Impropriator, — Cavendish,
esq. Land is settled here for the vicar, instead of vicarial tythes.
Everton church is dedicated to the holy Trinity. Patron, duke of Devonshire in
1753. Sacristæ Sanctæ Mariæ Ebor Propr. Incumbent, rev. John Ella, v. K. B.
7l. 2s. 2d. Val. per ann. in mans. cum ter. gleb. 1l. 13s. 4d. lib. pasch. dec. lan.
In the parish of Everton, claims about 8 or 900 acres of land: the common land
was enclosed in 1772. Lord of the manor Richard Acklom, esq. (for which he pays
a quit rent to the archbishop of York) with free warren within the paramount manor
of the archbishop's soke of Southwell and Scrooby. Fields pay tythes in kind. The
proprietor of the lands here is the lord of the manor, except about 80 acres late in
the possession of Mr. Dickinson, Birks, a small farm, two low-land closes, belonging
to Bawtry chapel on lease to the duke of Newcastle, about 12 acres. The vicar of
Everton has about 16 acres in lieu of certain tythes; and about ten for other purposes.—In Chapman's map of Nottinghamshire, he has marked a Roman fort or
station here, which is certainly visible. There was sometime since, part of a spear
and fragment of brown and black pottery dug up at this place, in cutting some
ditches across the scite of the fort. More, perhaps, might be found as the intrenchments seem not to have been disturbed.
Also, is in the parish of Everton, and duchy of Lancaster, enclosed in 1760.—
Lord of the manor and chief proprietors the feoffes of Newark. J. Acklom, esq.
and Mansfield school claim land here.