West Drayton

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

John Throsby

Year published

1796

Supporting documents

Page

362

Citation Show another format:

'West Drayton', Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: volume 3: Republished with large additions by John Throsby (1796), pp. 362. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=77020 Date accessed: 28 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

WEST DRAYTON.

Of Roger de Buslies see in Drayton Suen and Vlstan paid to the geld for their manors, before the Conquest, as four bov. 2-3rds, The land whereof was two car. There afterwards two men of Rogers had one car. eight vill. one bord. having two car. (fn. 1) There were three mills 5s. and seven acres of meadow, pasture word three qu. long, half a qu. broad. In the Confessours time this was 30s. value, in the Conquerours when the survey was made 17s. 4d. Here was then also of Roger Pictavensis his fee, which before the Conquest was Swains, who answered the tax for his manor as two bov. and one third. The land being one car. When Doomsday book was made Vsi (or Vlsi) held this of Roger Pictavensis, and had here half a car. and one vill. one bord. with half a car. Here were three acres of meadow, pasture wood one qu. long, half a qu. broad. In the Confessours time the value was 10s. then but 5s. 4d.

(fn. 2) Thomas Fitz-William held of the countess of Augi (or Ewe) in Clarborough, and West Drayton, three parts of one knights fee, as in Clarborough is noted; this was Roger de Buslies, and the family of Maresey held that of the Lancaster fee, as in Gameleston and other places may be observed.

[Throsby] West Drayton.

Is a small place. It is owned by the duke of Newcastle.

Footnotes

1 Lib. Dooms.
2 Test. de Nev.


<--Previous:
Houghton
Next:-->
Merriell Bridge