AUCLID, ALKELEY, and FININGLEY.
In Feninglty before the conquest Swayn answered the tax or geld at six bovats for his
manor. The land whereof was three car. (fn. 1) There afterwards Gislebert Tyson
(who had most if not all the said Swayns lands in this county) had half a car. and
fifteen vill. four bord. having five car. and an half, pasture wood two leu. long; two
broad. In the Confessours time this was valued at 40s. and when the Conquerours
survey was taken at 41s.
The lands of this Gislebert Tysons fee in this county did afterwards belong to the
family of Moubray, as in Averham, Kelum, Winkburne, and Sterthorp, may be observed.
(fn. 2) The jury after the death of Roger de Moubray, 29 E. 1, found Nicolas de St.
Elena, and Alice Touke, to have held of him certain lands and tenements in Alkeley
and Fyningley by the service of one knights fee.
(fn. 3) Fyningley and Alkcleye, 9 E. 2, answered for half a villa, the lords then certified
being Walter Touk, and William de St. Elena. But in the former part of the reign of
king Henry the third, Roger, son of Richard, is certified to have paid two marks for
one knights see in Finkingle. (fn. 4)
(fn. 5) Hugh de Clyderhowe, 11 E. 3, recovered his seisin of a house, and a mill in
Alkeley, into which Hugh de Eland had intruded himself, saying they were his own;
and also recovered 10l. for his damages.
(fn. 6) Guy Fairfax, 14 E. 4, had some interest here.
(fn. 7) Thomas Darcy, knight, lord Darcy, Henry Wyat, esq; Richard Wyat, clark,
and John Scott, 21 H. 7, claimed against John Cley the manor of Blythe, with the
appurtenances, and ten mess. three hundred acres of land, &c. in Blyth, Ranskyll,
Torworth, Norney, and Sterap, also the advowson of the church of Fynnyngley.
(fn. 8) Reginald Pegge, George Emerysson, and Henry Wyat, esquire, 22 H. 7,
claimed against Richard Wyat, clark, and John Scott, esquire, one acre of land,
and the advowson of the church of Fynningley, who called to warrant John Cley,
and Margaret his wife.
(fn. 9) Margaret, who had been wife of John Clay, 35 H. 8, claimed against Thomas
Fayrfax, sergeant at law, the manor of Fynnyngley, also the advowson of that church.
(fn. 10) John Wormeley, gent. and John Park, 9 Eliz. claimed against Richard Fenton, gent. one mess. thirty acres of land, ten of meadow, fourty of pasture, &c. in
Aukeley, and called to warrant Thomas Fayrefax, esquire. John Park, 10 Eliz. (fn. 11)
claimed against Richard Fenton the manor of Fynnyngley, with the appurtenances,
and twenty mess. twenty tofts, &c. in Fynnyngley, who called Thomas Fayrefax.
(fn. 12) Hugh Jones, and John Ingham, 17 Eliz. claimed against Richard Shirbourne, knight, the manor of Awkeley and Finningley, and divers lands in those
towns, who called John Hopwood.
The manor was divided between Sherburne, and Frobisher, and besides Frobisher
had the grange (of Finninglay) which belonged to the priory of Mattersey. The
queen, 18 Novemb. 34 Eliz. (fn. 13) granted the said grange to Martin Frobisher, knt.
and his heirs; and 10 Febr: 40 Eliz. (fn. 14) she granted it to Peter Frobisher, esquire,
cousin and heir of sir Martin.
(fn. 15) The owners of Finningley cum Auckley in 1612, are thus expressed, Francis
Frubiser, gent. Richard Sherborne, gent. William Frubiser, gent. Clare Gregory,
widow, Nicolas Greson, John Tomson, Bryan Mole, Edward Fowler, William
Marselande chr. Sampoll, Edward Birkett, Richard Norton, William Atkin, William Mowldson, William Jackson, widow Copstake.
(fn. 16) The rectory of Finningley was twenty marks when Mr. Wiat was patron: 'Tis
now 13l. 15s. 7d: ob: value in the kings books, and John Gibbons, or Robert
Harvey, esquire, patron:
Lordship is owned, in a great measure, by John Harvey, esq; of Bedfordshire, who is lord of the manor. It was enclosed in 1744, and lands given instead of
tithes. Finningley, with Alkeley and Blackstone, contain 7000 acres, enclosed in
one act. Here are other proprietors; among whom are Mr. Grantham, Mr. Turbet, and Mr: Robinson.
The village is rather large. The members of Finningley, Alkeley & Blackstone,
are in Yorkshire. The church of Finningley is set off with a square tower, and is
dedicated to St. Oswald; within, a decent monument informs us that William Salmon died Decem. 11, 1692; and Susanna his wife in 1698.
Patron, Jo. Harvey, esquire. Incumbent, his uncle, the Rev. Edward Harvey, R. K: B: 13l: 4s: 9d: ½. Yearly tenths, 1l. 6s. 5d.½. Archiepisc: pro Syn:
4s. Archidiac: pro Prox. 6s. 8d. Val: in mans: cum ter: gleb: dec: &c. Richard
Sheppard, gent: presented in 1684. Jo. Harvey, esq: 1712, 1733, 1764.