MATTERSEY, MERSEY, and THORPE.
In Madrisseig of the kings Soc of Bodmeschell, which before the Norman invasion, was earl
Tosti's, was as much as answered the geld for eleven bovats. (fn. 1) The land being
sufficient for three plows or three car. There twelve sochm. two vill. three bord.
had six car. ½. Meadow three qu. long, one broad, pasture wood one leuc. long, one
qu. ½ broad. Here was also of Roger de Buslie's see soc to Rametone one bov. ad geld.
There was one sochm. and two acres of meadow. Another part of this township was a
berue of the arch-bishop of Yorkes great Soc of Sudton, with Scroby and Lund.
Here was a family who had their name from this place, who were lords of Grmeleston
in this wapentac, as in that place may be seen, and of other places in this county,
Lancashire and Lincolnshire, who founded a monastery here of Gilbertines before the year
1192, as in Mysin may be noted.
(fn. 2) The prior of Marsey held two bovats of land in pure alms, of the fee of Thomas
the heir of Roger de Maresey in the time of H. 3.
(fn. 3) Isabell de Chauncy, daughter of Thomas de Marsey, in her widowhood, for the
safety (or health) of her soul, and of the soul of sir Philip de Chauncy, sometimes her
husband, and for the souls of all her ancestors, remised, confirmed and quit-claimed
to God, and St. Helen of the isle of Marsay, and the prior and covent of the house of
Marsay there serving God, her whole demesne, with all homages and services of the
towns of Marsay and Thorpe, and all lands, possessions and tenements which they had
and held of the gift and feoffment of her ancestors in the villages (or towns) of Marsay
and Thorpe, Gameleston, Elkesley, West Retford, Misyn, and Boulton, or other-where of her
see, with the advowson of the churches of Mersay, Gameleston, Misyn, and Bouleton, with
free court of their tenants in the said towns, &c. The witnesses to her deed were sir
Hugh de Hercy, sir Robert de Saundeby, sir Laurence de Chaworth, knights, Robert
Pouer, Robert de Wlrington, Robert de Lanum, Robert de Bekyngham, Henry de
Sutton, John Fitz-Raph, William de Aubeney, and others, which was about the latter
part of the reign of E. 1, or beginning of E. 2.
(fn. 4) The prior of Mathersey, 35 E. 1, had free warren in Mathersay and Thorpe.—
The prior of Mathersey of the order of Sempringham, 3 E. 3, (fn. 5) claimed to have for himself and his men quittance in city and borough, in markets and fairs, in passage of
bridges and ports of the sea, and in all places through England from toll and pontage.—
There was an Ad quod Damnum, 4 H. 4, (fn. 6) for market & fair to be kept at Mattersey.
(fn. 7) Mathersey and Thorp, 9 E. 2, answered for an intire villa, whereof the king and
earl of Lancaster were then found to be lords.
(fn. 8) Robert de Sumervill, son of Robert de Sumervilla, granted to the abby of Wellebek, that the canons, their brethren and men, and all their matters should be carried
over Ydele, in the boat at his passage of Madersey, as oft as they should come there, by
the passers [passoribus] of his fee freely and quietly, so that nothing should be exacted of them for that passage. Raph de Sumervill was witness.
(fn. 9) The abbat of Beacheif, 31 H. 3, claimed against Roger de Osberton four bov. of
land, and 3s. rent in Mareseye as the right of his church, and Roger came and demanded view, &c.
(fn. 10) John Markham, knight, Sneth Snawzell, esquire, and others, 22 H. 8, claimed against Thomas Wentworth, knight, and Isabell his wife, three mess. two cottag.
sixty acres of land, forty of pasture, two hundred of more, and 1d. rent, with the appurtenances in Mattersey, and Mattersey Thorp, Barneby, and Ranby, and called to warrant Thomas Wentworth the younger, brother of the said Thomas Wentworth, knt.
(fn. 11) The king, 4 Novemb. 31 H. 8, granted to Anthony Nevill, esquire, and Mary
his wife, the monastery, manor and rectory of Mattersey, with Blakawe grange there,
and Claworth grange, &c. the monastery to them, and the heirs males of the said Anthony, the manor and lands in Thorp, Wyeston, and Stirton to him and his heirs [fee
The church was appropriated to the priory about 8 E. 1, to repair the priories then
losses by a sudden fire. It was the inheritance of John Nevill, esquire, by descent
from sir Anthony Nevill his great grandfather, to whom it was conveyed from the
crown. Sir William Hickman married—the daughter and heir of—Nevill,,
and now enjoyes it.
(fn. 12) A mess. and tenement in Mattersey, and another in Heyton, belonging to the
chantry of St. John of Mattersey, were, amongst other things, 18 May, 7 E. 6, granted to Thomas Reeve, and George Cotton.
(fn. 13) The owners of Mattersey and Thorpe towns in 1612, are thus expressed, Alexander Jessop of Mattersey Thorp, senior, Henry Jessop of the same, Richard Eltonhead, gent. Thomas Robinson of the same, Alexander Jessop, junior, of the same,
John Jessop of the same, John Hall of Bekingham for lands in Mattersey Thorp, Henry
Bower, Anthony Nevill of Mathersey Abby, esquire, Thomas Hall of Mattersay, Bartholomew Hall of the same, Thomas Dawson, Robert Oldfeild, John Ellyott, Robert
Hodgeson, Thomas Wood, Robert Fletcher, all of the same, William Chapman,
Gyles More, William Staynton, William Atkingson, Peter Scot, Robert Chappell,
Henry Holmes, William Hamond, Raph Waddington, junior, gent. Tho. Drew,
Robert Williamson, Robert Whitehead, William Milner, Raph Bing, senior.
(fn. 14) The vicarage of Mathersey was 8l. 'Tis now 6l. 8s. 9d. value in the kings
books, and is in the collation of the arch-bishop of York, as it hath been.
[Throsby] Mattersey cum Thorpe
Land is sandy. The lordship contains about 2300 acres, enclosed in 1770, of
which land J. Acklom, esq; owns about 500 acres. He is lord of the manor. Other
owners are Mr. A Baker, Mrs. Dickinson, Miss Nettleship, and Peter Dickinson,
esq It is remarkable that the late Mr. John Dickinson, whose widow is the above
named Mrs. Dickinson, left to his tenants, at his death, each their respective farms,
subject to certain legacies: their names are Thomas Hodgkinson, John Flampson, Thomas Barker, John Chester, and Mrs. Crampton.
The priory of Mattersey or Maresay, was founded by Roger the son of Ranulph de
Maresay, for six Gilbertine canons, not Black canons, sometime before the year
1192. It had considerable possessions, it may be seen, in Thoroton's account of Mattersey, Gamelstone, Struton, Claworth, Everton, Myssen, and Finningley, and
other places. It was valued 26 Henry 8 at 55l. 2s. 6d. per ann. Dugdale. Speed
says 61l. 17s. 7d. It was dedicated to St. Helen. Here are but little remains of
this ancient priory. At Mattersey is a good stone bridge over the river Idle.
In the church of Mattersey, which is dedicated to All Saints, were found, when
the chancel floor was new laid, under the old pavement, some old pieces of sculpture, a copy from which is subjoined; they are now placed against the south wall of
the chancel, by the altar; that on the right, appears to represent St. Martin, dividing
the cloak; be that as it may, the sculpture is very ancient.
Patron, the Arch-bishop of York and Propr. Incumbent, Rev. William Hodges,
V. K: B: 61: 8s: 9d. Val: per ann: in mans: cum ter gleb: 10s. in pens: 1l. in decim: lan: agn: &c.