Sutton and Lound

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

John Throsby

Year published

1796

Supporting documents

Pages

442-445

Citation Show another format:

'Sutton and Lound', Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: volume 3: Republished with large additions by John Throsby (1796), pp. 442-445. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=77048 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

SUTTON AND LOUND.

The arch-bishop of York, when the great survey was made in the time of king William the first, had a manor in Sudton, of which Lund, and Scrobye, and Madrisseig, were berues, which answered the geld for one carucat, six bovats, before the conquest. The land then being known to be six carucats. (fn. 1) There afterwards the arch-bishop had two carucats in demesne, fourteen villains, six bordars, having six carucats. There was meadow of seven acres, pasture wood half a leug, and eight quarentens long, eight qu. and an half broad. In the time of king Edward the Confessour it was valued at 8l. and in king Williams time likewife, having foc in Etton, Tilne, Wellom, and Suuenton, Greenleig, Scaftord, Evarton, and Claver burch, which land was for twelve plows (or twelve carucats) and then were there thirty eight sochm: with eighteen villains, twenty bordars, having twenty five plows (or twenty five carucats) In Lunde and Barnebye soc to the kings manor of Bodmeschel were six bovats ½ 1-3d: ad geldam: The land—: There three sochmen had one carucat, and three acres of meadow, pasture wood two qu: long, half a quarenten broad: Of Roger de Busli's fee in Lund was a manor which was Ulchel's before the conquest, who paid for it to the geld as two bovats ½: The land one carucat. There after the conquest in demesne was one carucat, and six villains, with two carucats, and five acres of meadow, pasture wood six qu: long, two broad: The value of this in the Confessours time was 20s: in the Conquerours but 10s:

The manor of Sutton continueth with the Nort Soke to the arch-bishoprick of York

(fn. 2) The jury, 24 E. 1, found that Robert de Hayton died seized of nine small bovats in Lound held of Tikhill.

(fn. 3) By an inquisition taken at Nottingham the Thursday after Palmsunday, 23 H. 7, before sir William Perpoint, knight, sir Edward Stanhope, knight, and Raph Agard, it appears that John Strelley of Lindeby (named in that place) died seized of the manor of Sutton on Lound, then valued at 10l. beyond all reprises. John Porte, serjeant at law, Thomas Coken, knight, German Pole, esquire, Percivall Strelley and William Blake, 16 H. 8, (fn. 4) claimed against Nicolas Strelley of Lindeby, esq; and Elizabeth his wife, one mess, fourty acres of land, twenty of meadow, sixty of pasture, four of wood, and eighty of furz and heath, with the appurtenances in Lownd. Robert Hekeling held the third part of a knights fee in Lunde and Clumber.

(fn. 5) John Freiston, esquire, in the time of queen Elizabeth paid 20d. for his lands in Lound, sometime John Styrley's held by the fourth part of a knights fee.

(fn. 6) The jury, 30 H. 3, said that Gilbert de St. George held half a bovat in Lound of Robert de St. George lord of Bodmeshill.

(fn. 7) Alice, who had been wife of Robert, son of Eustachius de Lund, 18 E. 1, withdrew herself from her writ against the arch-bishop of Yorke, and others, for one mess. sixty acres of meadow, and ten acres of land, with the appurtenances in Lound and Sutton. By a fine, 19 E. 3, (fn. 8) between Thomas, son of Adam de Lound, chaplain, quer. and Walter Power, parson of the church of Wark, deforc. the said Thomas settled one mess. twenty four acres of land, fourteen of meadow, four of turbary, and 3s. 6d. rent in Lound nigh Mathersey, on himself for life; then to his brother William for life; then to his brother Robert for life; then to Thomas, son of his brother Robert, and the heirs of his body; remainder to Margery, sister of the last Thomas, and the heirs of hers; remainder to Elizabeth her sister, and the heirs of hers; remainder to the right heirs of the said Thomas, son of Adam de Lound.

(fn. 9) Thomas Palmer, sometime parson of Blaunkeney, 16 R. 2, had an Ad quod Damnum to give to the dean and chapter of Lincolne two mess. one toft, one bovat, thirty five acres of land, and one rood of land, two acres of meadow, and 5s. rent, with the appurtenances in Sutton by Retford in the Cley, and Lound, whereof twenty acres in Lound were held of Tikhill, by doing suit at the two great courts of Barsetlowe, and one messuage, and fifteen acres and one rood of land, and two of meadow, and 5s. rent in Lound by suit at the two great courts of Bothumsell. And that messuage, toft and bovat in Sutton were then held of Roger de Weston, prebendary of the prebend of Clarburgh by the service of 3s. 6d. and doing suit at the court of the prebend of Clarburgh.

(fn. 10) Thomas Vavasor, 8 E. 4, was against John Perin, in a plea for one messuage, and two bovats of land, with the appurtenances in Lound. By an inquisition taken at Retford, 14 Octob. 4 H. 8, (fn. 11) it appears that William Vavasor dyed 28 Apr. 3 H. 8, leaving his son and heir Thomas Vavasor twenty years old at the feast of the Assumption of the blessed Mary the Virgin, last past, before the inquisition, which found that he had thirty three acres of land, five acres and one rood of medow, and two acres of wood, with the appurtenances in Lound, and 1 messuage, & two acres in Styrton, and a wind-mill in Burton. (fn. 12) All which Thomas Vavasor of Deneby in Yorkshire, who dyed 2 Jan. 22 H. 8, left to Roger Vavasor his son and heir then aged sixteen years twenty weeks and five days, who married Elena, the daughter of Thomas Reresby. Margaret (Wombell) was wife of Thomas Vavasor, and over-lived him, as appeareth by the inquisition taken at Tuxford, 16 Aug. 23 H. 8, and had the manor of Deneby, which extended itself into Deneby, Newhall, and Mekesburgh, and the manor of Stanseby, with lands in South Kirkby and Bentley in the said county of York.

(fn. 13) Robert Brokysby, John Allot, clerk, and Thomas Shaw, 23 H. 8, claimed against Thomas Wentworth, knight, and Isabell his wife, eight messuages, one hundred & forty acres of land, sixty of medow, eight hundred of pasture, one hundred of common of pasture, and 12d. rent, with the appurtenances in Sutton by Lownd, Wyeston, Lownde, Missen, Misterton, South Clifton, and North Clifton, and called to warrant Thomas Wentworth, junior, brother of the said Thomas Wentworth, knight.

(fn. 14) The King, 7 March, 4 E. 6, granted to Walter Jobson, and his heirs, all that messuage and tenement, with the appurtenances, and all lands, &c, in Lownd, in the tenure of Cuthbert, clerk, late belonging to the chantry of St. John in Mattersey.

(fn. 15) The owners of Sutton cum Lownde (at least that of Tikhill fee) in 1612, are thus set down, John Colbye, Thomas Hamond of Lownde, Nicolas Hamond of Lownde, gent. Richard Ellis, Edward Hartshorne of the same, Raph Smith, Henry Mattersey, William Redshay, senior, of Lownde, Henry Goodcoot, Thomas Wadsley, William Atkinson, widow Ratcliff, William Redshaye, junior, the heirs of —Freeston, Thomas Crumwell of Sutton, Nicolas Stringer of Sutton, gent.

(fn. 16) The vicarage of Sutton was 10l. when the sacrist of St. Maries at York was patron: 'Tis now of the same value in the Kings books, and the lady Sara South patroness.

[Throsby] Sutton cum Lound.

Lound is in the parish of Sutton. The land sandy, enclosed. The principal proprietor and lord of the manor is the arch-bishop of York; leessee —Freemly esq. Proprietors, including both townships are the duke of Newcastle and Portland, George Mason esq. I. Acklom esq: and others.

Sutton is a small place, with a little decent church, and pinnacled tower, with 3 bells. It is dedicated to St. Bartholomew, Scrooby to St. Wilfred.

Patron, the duke of Portland. Incumbent, Sutton upon Lound cum Scrooby. V. Rev. John Eyre. K. B. 10l. os. od. Val. per ann. in mans. cum terr. gleb. 6s. 8d. in decim. lan. agn. lin. canab. &c. Sacrista Sanctæ Mariæ. Propr. Mary Butler presented in 1683, Countess of Oxford in 1742, 1750. Dutchess dowger of Portland in 1777.

Footnotes

1 Lib. Dooms.
2 Esc: 24 E: 1, n: 63.
3 Ex Copia Inq.
4 Trin: 16 H: 8, rot: 444.
5 Ex quodam rotulo Aux
6 Esc: 30 H: 3, n: 36.
7 Pl. cor. Reg: Mich: 18 E: 1, ro: 64.
8 Fin. lev. Pasch: 19 E: 3.
9 Esc. 16 R: 2, par. 1, n: 148.
10 Hill. 8 E: 4, rot: 102.
11 Ex Inq.
12 Ex Inq. altera.
13 Hill: 23 H. 8. rot: 148.
14 Par: 9 pat. 4 E: 6.
15 Lib: libere ten.
16 Mss. J: M.


<--Previous:
Mattersey and Thorpe
Next:-->
West Retford