Is variously written in different ages, first, Totessala, or Tiveteshall,
after Tifteshale, now Titshall; these churches and manor were begged (fn. 1) of his parents by Syward, (fn. 2) a monk of Bury, whom Leofstan
the abbot had made dean, who at his request gave it to that monastery. And by an inquisition taken in 1274, (fn. 3) it appears that he was
son of Osulph (Le-Sire) and Leverun his wife, (fn. 4) who held it of the
Crown in capite, by the annual rent of 20s. which the Abbot paid
quarterly at Norwich castle, by the name of waytefee, and held it as
part of his barony, having court-leet assize of bread and ale, and liberty of free-warren; the whole was allotted by the Convent to the
Abbot's own use, who was taxed for his temporalities here, at 30l.
12s. 4d. and paid yearly 5s. 10d. to the lord of the hundred, to excuse him and his tenants from all suit to his hundred court. In the
Confessor's time there were two churches, with 40 acres land, and
the manor extended into Gissing and Shimpling, and was then valued
at 7l. and in the Conqueror's time at 9l. 15s. it being then a league
and 4 furlongs long, and half a league broad, and paid 17d. Geld; (fn. 5)
and from this time it continued in the Abbots, till the dissolution of
their monastery, when it was seized by the Crown, and was granted
by King Henry VIII. in the year 1542, to
John Cornwaleys, (fn. 6) and the heirs of his body, (fn. 7) who for his singular courage and conduct, under Thomas, Duke of Norfolk, at the
taking of Marlaix in Britany, had the honour of knighthood then
conferred on him; and soon after his return from those wars, was
made Steward of the Household to Prince Edward. He died seized
in 1549, at Asherugge, (or Ashridge,) in Buckinghamshire, and is buried under a noble monument in Berkhamsted church (fn. 8) in that county,
leaving it to
Sir Thomas Cornwaleys, Knt. his son and heir, who had then
livery of it, he being Sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk in the last year
of Edward the Sixth's reign, raised great forces against the opposers
of Queen Mary's title, for which services he was first sworn one of the
privy-council, then made Treasurer of Calais, and after Comptroller
of her Household. At his death in 1604, it went to
Sir William Cornwaleys, Knt. of Brome in Suffolk, who died
seized Nov. 13, 1610, leaving it to (fn. 9)
Frederick Cornwaleys his son and heir, who was created
baronet by King Charles I. by letters patent, dated May 4, 1627, and
having served that prince both in court and camp with great fidelity, for which he suffered in those unhappy times, both imprisonment, exile, and the loss of his estate; in testimony of which, to
reward his great merits and accomplishments," he was by King
Charles II. in 1661, made a baron of the realm, by the title of Lord
Cornwallis, Baron of Eye in Suffolk, with remainder to the heirs
male of his body. At his death it went to
Charles Lord Cornwaleis his son and heir, who is buried at
Culford in Suffolk; he left it to
Charles Lord Cornwaleis, his son and heir, who was one of
the Lords of the Admiralty in the reign of King William III. and
Lord-Lieutenant of the county of Suffolk; he left it to
Charles Lord Cornwaleis, his son and heir, at whose death
it descended to the present 
Charles Lord Cornwaleis, his son and heir, who sold it to
His Excellency Horatio Walpole, Esq. who is now lord and
Another part of this town belonged to Winfarthing manor, for
which see Winfarthing.
Another part belonged to the Abbot of Ely's manor of Pulham. (fn. 10)
Another to William Bishop of Thetford, which was of his own
inheritance, and not in right of his bishoprick, of whom it was
held at the Conquest by Reinald de Perapund, and was of 20s.
value, (fn. 11) it was after held by the Le Neves, from whom it was called
Neve's Tenement: Robert Neve, (fn. 12) one of the owners, ordered to be
buried in St. Margaret's churchyard; he left it to John Neve his
son, in which family it continued till the 16th century.
For another part of this manor that extended into Gissing, see
p. 168, note 9.
Besides these, there were several tenements, or manors, as they are
often called, all which had their originals by the Abbots feoffments,
and are now included in the great manor.
In 1307, William Bateman, Bailiff of Norwich, a man famous in
his time, from whom sprung William Bateman Bishop of Norwich,
purchased a free tenement here.
It appears in the register called Pinchebek, fol. 195, that Walter,
the son of Norman the Dean of Norwich, held a free tenement, with
60 acres of land, and divers rents and services of the Abbot's grant;
he was succeeded by Thomas his son: it belonged afterwards to Thomas de Pakenham, then to John de Ho, who infeoffed Sir Richard de
Boyland in it, who jointly with Elen his wife held it in 1294. (fn. 13)
The manor called Uphall, had its first rise in the time of Samson
Abbot of Bury, who first infeoffed Thomas, son of John of Tifteshall,
in it; and soon after it came to Adam of Tifteshall, Kat from him
to John his son; and in 1266, William of Uphall of Tifteshall was
lord. In 1285, it was in Thomas, son of John of Tifteshall of Uphall,
who left it, about 1290, (fn. 14) to Robert of Uphall, his son; he quite left
off the sirname of Tifteshall: in 1292, he gave it to Isabel de Bokland, of Hergham, by the name of Uphall Manor, and in that
year the said Robert and Isabel, jointly with Maud, widow of Robert,
son of Thomas of Uphall, daughter of Isabel de Bokland, released all
their right to Sir John Thorp, and William their son, in this manor.
In 1294, Robert, (fn. 15) son of Sir John de Ayshewellethorp, and Maud his
wife, granted to Robert Carleford of Shotesham, this manor, in exchange for the said Robert's manor of Nelonde; and afterwards the
said Robert de Carleford released this manor again to Sir Robert de
Thorp aforesaid, and Maud his wife. In 1304, it was settled on John
de Thorp, and Alice his wife; (fn. 16) he died in 1323, and then held it of
the Abbot at 5s. per annum, it being then valued at 3l. 5s. 8d. It
seems to continue in this family till it was sold to Sir Edward Jenney's
father, for so the said Edward declares in his will, in 1522, (fn. 17) when he
gave it to his brother, and the next heir male; from the Jenneys it
came to the Crown, and was granted in the 24th Henry VIII. to the
Duke of Norfolk, who afterwards conveyed it to Edward White of
Totsall, to be held of the manor of Forncet, by knight's service; his
son, George White, sold it to John Cornwaleys, Esq.; and so it fell
into the great manor; it extended at that time into Dickleburgh,
Shimpling, Moulton, Pulham, Gissing, and Watton.
Several lands settled for obits, and other superstitious uses, were
seized in 1547, and were granted to Thomas Wodehouse, Gent. and
his heirs, to be held in soccage of the King's manor of Broke.
The Customs of the Manor are these; the fine is at the lord's
will; the copyhold descends to the eldest son: they cannot waste
their copyhold-houses, nor fell timber without license.
In 1266, (fn. 18) there was an extent made of this manor, at which time
the copyholders of Titshall and Shimpling, (fn. 19) if the lord was at Bury,
were obliged to carry two parts of the Abbot's provision, and the men
of Dickleburgh and Semere, (fn. 20) the other third part; the lord had then
a large park, and a sneid or sneth fenced round, which was repaired
by the tenants yearly; William de Uphall held this manor by the
payment of 4s. 2d. per annum, and 8d. a year to the Abbot, to be
free from suit of the hundred court, for which freedom the Abbot
paid 5s. a year for the whole town. Galfry de Bosco and his partners, and Walter Fitz-Roger and the homages of John Fitz-Jeffery,
and of John of Uphall, and of Hubert de Schimpling, and the homages of the Abbot in Schimpling, and Ivo the chaplain and his
homagers, and the homage of master Anseline, and Hubert de
Shimpling and his parceners, (all which held free tenements or small
manors under the Abbot,) were to do suit to the Abbot's court, and
to plough and cart, with all the cattle they had, for the lord, and
were to pay a third part of the Abbot's general aid for Titshall and
Shimpling, and to find a third part of the lord's wine, and carry it to
Palgrave bridge; and to fence in the park, sneid, and stack-yards,
and repair them yearly. These free tenements being first granted
by the Abbots, to be held of their chief manor upon these conditions.
Here are two Churches, about a mile distant from each other;
the mother church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, the other is
a parochial chapel, whose patroness is St. Margaret, both of ancient
foundation, even before the Conqueror. It was always a single institution, appendant to the manor, as it still remains, though the
parishes are separate, and hath now, and ever had distinct officers.
|King's Books.||Tenths.||Acres Glebe.||Norw. Taxa.|
1301, non. May, Andrew of Nortwall, rector, was collated to a
prebendary in the college of St. Mary in the Fields in Norwich, by
the Bishop; at his death, in
1307, 2 non. May, Sir Tho. de Butteturte, sub-deacon, one of an
ancient and good family in this county, was instituted, but upon his
institution was obliged to swear to William de Knapeton, then Archdeacon of Norwich, that whereas he was then a pluralist, and held
Eustone and Trostone livings in this diocese, both of which had care
of souls, that he would immediately resign one, unless he obtained a
dispensation from the Pope, as soon as he quietly received the profits
Richard de Dunmowe resigned this for Palgrave in Suffolk; and in
1357, 3 May, Tho. de Calkhyl, priest, succeeded, who resigned
1367, 7 June, Calkhyl changed with Tho. de Blofield, priest, for
Mulkberton, of which William de Hoo, Knt. was patron.
1394, Mr. William Rolf, a shaveling.
1398, 17 Dec. He changed with John Alleyn, for Frekenham.
1400, 14 April, Will. Heyward, priest, on Alleyn's resignation.
1410, 27 Jan. John Lolleworth, priest, on Heyward's resignation.
1416, 27 Dec. Thomas Lank, priest.
1418, 19 Nov. Nicholas Derman, (fn. 21) bachelor in the decrees.
1424, 24 Dec. Robert Clermont of Carleton Rode, priest.
1431, 5 Nov. Walter Martyn; he changed Intwood for this, with
Robert Clements. (fn. 22)
1434, 20 August, John Heyghundern, on Clements's resignation.
1455, 17 October, Richard Tateshale, A.M. at John Heyghunder's
1460, ult. April, John Fletcher, on Tateshale's resignation.
1487, 30 June, John Hughson, on Fletcher's resignation. He died
1490, Tho. Asty.
1533, 11 August, Robert Bosall, on Asty's death; he was the last
rector presented by the Abbot.
1546, 27 Oct. Elias Lache, on Bosall's resignation. John Cornwaleis, Esq.
1578, 16 June, John Crane, S.T.B. Thomas Cornwaleis, Knt.
1578, Tho. Crane, A. B. on John Crane's resignation. Ditto.
1596, 16 April, Michael Denbigh, A. M. Ditto.
1600, Paul Chapman, who in 1603, answered, that he was a bachelor in divinity, and held these two churches, being one benefice,
with the benefice of Heigham by Norwich; he was instituted June 15,
on Denbigh's death; presented by Thomas Cornwaleis, Knt.
1631, 21 April Jeremiah Burrowes, clerk, A. M. on Chapman's
death. Jane Lady Bacon of Brome in Suffolk, widow, late wife,
of Nat. Bacon, Knt. of the Bath, before that, of William Cornwaleis,
Knt.; he was deprived, and in
1638, John Boys, clerk, was instituted.
1661, George Kent, (fn. 23) at the death of John Boys. Harbottle
Grimstone, Bart. Charles Cornwaleis, Knight of the Bath,
and Edmund Harvey, Esq.
1668, John Jermy, A. M. on Kent's death. Charles Lord Cornwaleis, Baron of Eye.
1672, 10 January, Christopher Burrell, A. M. on Jermy's resignation. Ditto. He died in 1701, and is buried in St. Margaret's
1701, March 2, Charles Gibbs, A. M. the present  rector.
Charles Lord Cornwaleis.
St. Mary's is the mother church, (fn. 24) over which the Bishop and
Archdeacon's visitatorial power extends, to whom it pays 1s. synodals, and 7s. 7d. ob. procurations; it is an old building having its
nave, chancel, and south porch thatched; a square tower, and five
bells; on the biggest is this:
Petrus ad Eterne, durat nos Pasrua Uite.
The following arms were formerly in the windows of the church,
steeple, and chancel, but are all lost, except these first three, viz. (fn. 25)
Boutetourt, erm. a saltire ingrailed gul. Fitz-Otes, bendy of six,
or and az. a canton er.
Or, a saltire ingrailed sab. England, St. Edward the Confessor,
the East-Angles, St. Edmund, Boyland, Kerdeston, Ufford single,
and with all the following differences, viz. a label; a de-lis; a baton
az.; a baton erm.; a baton chequy az. and gul.; an annulet, Lowdham,
Norwich. Gul. a chevron between three estoils sab.; or and sab.
mascule surtout, Lowdham with a label gul. impaling az. on a chief
gul. three leopards or, and again siding gul. on a chief or, two
annulets sab. Bacon. or a fess gul. impaling Scales. On the Roodloft, an escutcheon of the Lady Jarnegan; viz. 1. Jarnegan; 2. Ingaldesthorp; 3. Fitzosbert; 4. Mortimer, or semi-de-lises sab.; 5. ar. on a
chevron sab. three escalops erm.; 6. Pierpoint.; 7. or, a saltire
ingrailed in a bordure sab.
On a grave-stone were Aylmer's arms, viz. ar. on a cross ingrailed
sab. five bezants between four magpies proper; it lies in the chancel,
but the effigies, arms, and inscription are gone.
Here are two black marbles, one hath an escutcheon of a griffin
and a crescent, for John Boys, rector, who died Dec. 30, 1661; the
other is for Hellen his wife, who died September 1, 1661.
In the churchyard, on the south side, is an altar-tomb, covered
with a black marble, for Mary wife of Robert Kettle, daughter and
heiress of Mr. William Fuller of Brisingham, who had four children,
Henry, Mary, John, and Grace, all buried by her, obijt Feb. 27,
1728, aged 63.
The parochial chapel of St. Margaret acknowledges no visitatorial
power but that of the Bishop only, for it pays the archdeacon no
procurations; but as much again as the mother church does to the
Bishop for synodals.
The nave and south porch are leaded, the chancel thatched; the
tower is square, and hath five bells in it, on one of which is this,
SANCTE EDMUNDE ORA PRO NOBIS.
On the screens are Aylmer's arms in proper colours. In the
chancel, under an arch in the north wall, is an old freestone altar
monument, with a cross formy on it, but no inscription to discover
who he was, though without doubt it was for some religious person
that founded the chancel. On a brass,
Hic jacet Brigitta nuper uxor Antonij Barry, Generosi que obijt
4th Die Maij Ao 1635, Ætat. 21.
Here are three black marbles, the first for Christopher Burrell, late
rector, who died Jan. 6, 1701. The second for Charles, son of the
Rev. Mr. Charles Gibbs, rector, and Elizabeth his wife, who died
much lamented April 22, 1721, aged 16 years:
Quem Dij amant, Adolescens moritur.
The third for Mrs. Margaret Stannard, relict of Mr. John Stannard,
late of this parish first married to Thomas Halls, Gent. whose character as a wife, mother, mistress, and friend, needs no encomium,
she died Sept. 1, 1735, in the 75th year of her age.
The Customs of this Rectory are these; they pay 6d. for
every calf under seven, and 1d. 0b. for every cow instead of tithe
milk; and 1d. every house for harth-silver, for all wood burnt in the
town, all wood sold out of the town pays tithe according to its value,
and all other tithes belonging to this rectory are paid in their proper
The parish of Titshall St. Mary hath a small cottage situate near
the church, a piece of land containing half an acre, which abuts on
Mill Green north, south, and east, and on Henry Goodwin's lands
west; a small piece called Sent's Yards, about one rood, rented at 6s.
per annum, 10l. in money, the interest of which is given to the poor
yearly upon Easter Monday, and the poor receive yearly 10s. from
the church-wardens of St. Margaret's.
The parish of St. Margaret in Titshall hath 6 acres of land lying
in Moulton, part is copyhold, and part free, which is rented at 3l. 10s.
a year, and was given by Jeffery Neeve; it abuts on Moulton Common on the west, and Mr. Fulcher's on the south, and on the way
leading to Moulton High Green on the east; the rent is received by
the church-wardens; 16s. 8d. is paid every Easter to the poor of St.
Margaret's, and 10s. to the poor of St. Mary's as aforesaid; the rest
is given towards repairing the church.
The Commons are Titshall Green, Bateman's Green, Mill Green,
Pound Green, and Beck Green, all of them containing about 100
In 1603, there were 93 communicants in St. Mary's parish, and
108 in St. Margaret's; there are now  about 35 dwellinghouses in St. Mary's, and 150 inhabitants, and 40 in St. Margaret's
and 180 inhabitants; they were valued at 3l. together to the tenths,
and 1394l. to the parliament valuation; but now they are assessed
single to the land tax, viz. St. Mary's at—l. and St. Margaret's at
The whole Hundred is enclosed, and abounds much with wood; it
being reckoned as part of the woodland half of Norfolk. The roads
are very bad in winter, especially this part by Gissing and Titshall.
The lands in general are moist, occasioned by their being flat, and
having a blue clay within a foot or two of the earth's surface, through
which the water cannot pierce, it containing 20 or 30 feet in depth
in many places. The soil is in general rich, and about one half of
the land is used for the plough, the other for the dairy, and grazing;
it produces much wheat, turnips, clover, and all other grain in abundance, except buck or brank, and cole-seed, of which there is but