Joins to the south part of Kenninghall; what this town's name
signifies, I know not, and which is remarkable, it never altered its
spelling from the Conqueror's time to this day, for in Domesday (fn. 1)
we find it the same. In the Confessor's time Lopham was two distinct towns and different manors, Lopham-Magna, now North Lopham, belonged to Ofl, (fn. 2) a freeman, his manor having three carucates
of land in demean, and the other Lopham, called afterwards LophamParva, and now South Lopham, belonged to Alsius, a freeman,
whose manor then contained two carucates in demean. This Alsius
had a manor in Norton, which in the Conqueror's days he joined to
this, making it a berewic to it, after which it came into the Conqueror's hands, who gave them to Roger Bygot Earl of Norfolk,
who joined the two Lophams, and granted off the Norton part to
Alured an Englishman; (fn. 3) from this time Lopham hath continued as
one manor to this day, though they are two distinct parishes, each
having their separate bounds and officers.
Roger Bygot, who was possessed of this manor at the survey, died
in 1107, (fn. 4) and was buried in the abbey of Thetford, which he had built,
leaving William, his son and heir, who gave the church of Lopham to
the monks of Thetford, (fn. 5) in the time of Henry I. which was appropriated
and then confirmed to that house, (fn. 6) with all its appurtenances, by
King Henry II. This was South Lopham church, which by its conventual form, and Gothick tower, was in all likelihood built at this
time, and it is probable some of those monks had a cell here, and
served it for some time, and this is the reason that this church never
had any institution, though the monks quitted all their right in it to
the lord, who had a release of it from the abbey, and added it, with
the appurtenances, to the rector of the other church, who took the
cure upon him from that time; this must be very early, for, before
1340, it was taxed at 26 marks, a value that must include the whole.
This William being Steward of the Household to King Henry I. perished with that King's children, and divers other of the nobility, by
shipwreck, as they came from Normandy into England in the year
1119, (fn. 7) leaving
Hugh Bygod, his brother, his heir, who by King Stephen was
made Earl of the East Angles, or Norfolk, which was again confirmed to him by King Henry II. together with the stewardship of
that King's household; yet, notwithstanding all these favours, he
took part with the Earl of Leicester, in the rebellion began by him,
adhering to young Henry (whom King Henry his father had crowned)
in his rebellious practices; but meeting with no success, he was
forced to make his peace with the King, for a fine of 1000 marks,
and not long after, he went into the Holy Land with the Earl of
Flanders, and there died in 1177, upon which the King seized all
his treasure, and retained it in his hands.
Roger Bygod, his son, inherited, who in 1189, was restored by
King Richard I. to his earldom, stewardship, and estate, upon
paying a fine of 1000 marks for these favours: (fn. 8) he died about 1218,
Hugh Bygod, his son, had livery of his lands, performing his
homage; he died in 1225, and left
Roger, his son and heir, who died without issue in 1269, and
his inheritance went to
Roger, his nephew, son to his brother Hugh, who had then
livery of that great inheritance, being 25 years old, but he also
having no issue, in 1301, settled all his estate (except the manors of Acle and Castre, and the advowson of Geldeston church
in Norfolk, and others in Yorkshire) upon King Edward I. after his
and his wife Alice's death, together with the marshal's rod, upon
condition to be rendered back in case he should have any children;
though at the same time John Bygod, his own brother, and heir apparent, was living, who by this means was cut off from all, but the
manors that were excepted. This Roger, (fn. 9) jointly with Alice his
wife, held this manor of the King's grant upon the settlement, at
which time the manor house had a demean of 335 acres of land, 15
of meadow, and 20 acres of pasture, with a park, 2 windmills, and
the fourth part of Harling mill. He died about 1305, (fn. 10) seized of this
and many other manors, leaving John, his brother, 40 years old, his
next heir, (fn. 11) who inherited nothing but the part excepted, the estate
going to King Edward I. (fn. 12) From which time it remained in the
Crown till Edward II. in the 9th year of his reign, gave it, with the
rest of the Bygod's estate, (fn. 13) to
Thomas de Brotherton, his brother, whom he this year created
Earl of Norfolk, and Marshal of England; he died in 1338, leaving
his two daughters his heirs, Alice married to Edward de Monteacute,
and Margaret first married to John Lord Segrave, and after to Sir
Walter Manny, Knt. of the Garter, to whose share, this, among
other manors, was allotted: in her right John de Segrave became
Lord and patron, upon Thomas de Brotherton's death, and held it
till he died in 1351, leaving Elizabeth his daughter and heir, then
married to John, son of John Lord Mowbray, though this manor remained in the aforesaid Margaret's hands, and came to her second
husband, Walter de Manny, Knt. who had it till he died in 1371,
from which time it continued in the said Margaret, till the 24th of
March 1399, when she died. She was created Dutchess of Norfolk
for term of her life, by Richard II. in 1397. It appears that there were
great uneasinesses between her and the Lord Segrave, her first husband, (fn. 14) for she went in person to Rome, in order to obtain a sentence
of divorce from him, of the Pope, having obtained letters of safe
conduct for her and her retinue, of the French King; notwithstanding which, she and her servants were all arrested and taken in
their journey, at the instigation, as was thought, of her husband,
who was then under excommunication for not going to Rome, according to the Pope's citation, though he had pleaded that being a
baron of England, he was not compellable to appear at that court;
by this means he stopped her appearing against him at Rome, at the
day assigned, and the matter afterwards was made up between them.
At her death it descended to
Thomas Lord Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk, her grandson, who
was son of her daughter Elizabeth, married as aforesaid to John,
son of John Lord Mowbray, who died at Venice in 1399, leaving this
Thomas his son, then 14 years old, who, in 1401, (fn. 15) had this manor,
though the advowson and part of the demeans belonged to Elizabeth
his mother, (fn. 16) in right of her dower, he never was duke, being beheaded at York, with Richard Scrope Archbishop of Canterbury, in
1405, (fn. 17)
John, his brother, then 17 years old, being his heir, who was
restored to the title of Duke of Norfolk in 1424, and dying in 1432, (fn. 18)
John his son, then 17 years old, succeeded him; but this manor was
assigned in dower to Catharine his mother, (fn. 19) daughter to Ralph Nevil
Earl of Westmoreland, who afterward married to Thomas Strangewayes, Esq. after that to John Viscout Beaumont, and lastly to John
Widvile, brother to Anthony Earl Rivers, all which were lords here
in her right. At her death John Duke of Norfolk, her son, enjoyed
it, and died seized in 1461, and John his son inherited, he died in
1474, leaving Anne, his sole daughter, then two years old, afterwards married to Richard Duke of York, second son to King Edward IV. who was murdered in the tower in 1483, and dying issueless, it fell to the share of John Howard, Knt. son of Sir Robert
Howard, Knt. and Margaret his wife, who was one of the two
daughters and coheirs of Thomas Mowbray, first Duke of Norfolk,
from which time it hath always attended the fate of that family, and
is now the estate of the present Duke of Norfolk. (fn. 20)
This manor was held as parcel of Earl Roger's barony, and in 1285
had view of frankpledge, assize of bread and ale, and free-warren
belonging to it. In 1609, the quitrents were above 21l. per annum;
in 1641 the park was farmed at 390l. per annum. The Leet belongs
to the manor,
The Customs of which are, that the fines are at the lord's will;
the copyhold descends to the eldest son; the tenants can build and
pull down, fell timber, and plant on the waste against their own
lands, without license.
GOODSON'S MANOR, or Free Tenement, in North
Was held of the hundred, by the service of 1s. a year, to which belonged many copy and freeholders; (fn. 21) the whole at first contained a
caracute of land, which was granted by Earl Roger, to Richard of
Lopham, who died in 1194, in which year Ivo of Lopham, his son,
gave 20s. to have a recognition of the death of his ancestor, for
a carucate of land in Lopham, against Gundred the Countess; and
in 1198, (fn. 22) the said Ivo granted half of the said carucate, with Ivo, the
steward of Lopham, his family, and posterity, to Earl Roger, and
Gundred his Countess, and agreed to hold the other half of them by
the rent of 5s. a year, and 20s. 6d. scutage, so that now this Free
Tenement, as it was then called, contained half a carucate; the 5s.
rent was afterwards released, and it came to be held of the hundred,
and not of the capital manor, at 1s. a year rent. In 1248, Henry (of
Lopham) the chirurgeon, had it; and in 1335, Henry, the son of
Robert; (of Lopham; (fn. 23) ) afterwards it was owned by John Goodson,
vicar of Pakenkam, whose name it still retains. From this family it
went to John Hawes, and from him to Robert Leader, then to John
Leader, and from him to Robert Warnes the elder, and then to
Robert Warnes the younger, who had it in 1635, by which time the
copyhold was all manumised, and the freerents sold off, all but
16s. 10d. 3q. a year. In 1684, Robert Warnes, son of the last Robert,
held it, by the rent of 12d. a year, in lieu of all suit of court to the
hundred. (fn. 24) It after belonged to Francis Bogas, Gent. who died in
1692, leaving it to his widow, who afterwards married Mr. Samuel
Browning of Thetford; and at her death it went to Mr. Samuel
Browning, his son, who sold it to Mr. Thomas Saunders of Thetford,
the present  owner; but there are no rents now remaining.
The Rectory Manor
Always belonged to the rector, as it now doth, [1736,] its customs
being the same as the great manor; there is a rectory-house, and 46
acres and one rood of glebe in South Lopham, and 9 acres 2 roods
and an half in North Lopham.
This rectory is in Norfolk archdeaconry and Rockland deanery,
valued at 17l. 0s. 5d. and is still charged with first fruits, and 1l. 14s. 0b.
yearly tenths. The synodals are 3s. and the procurations 7s. 7d. 0b.
South Lopham Church is dedicated to St. Nicholas; being built
in the conventual form, the tower is square, being a very large
Gothick building; (fn. 25) in it are 6 good bells, the chancel, the nave,
south isle, and porch are leaded; there are no arms nor inscriptions
any where in it, except this on a stone in the chancel, very obsolete,
Hic iacit Dominus Willus Lirling.
And on the outside, between the south windows, are the initial letters
for Jesus Maria, &c.
In Mr. Anstis's book (fn. 26) it appears the following arms were formerly
Segrave. Brotherton. Mowbray. Walter de Maney, or, three
chevrons sab. Vere. Ufford; and erm. a bend gul. cottised or.
Coote, ar. a chevron between three coots sab. Harvey, ar. on a
bend gul. three trefoils vert, for Christopher Coot, and Barbary
Harvey, his wife. Of this family more will occur in Blow-Norton; this
Christopher had a lease of this manor. Matthew, his eldest son, was
born in 1563, (fn. 27) in 1546, Leonard, son of Robert Coote, was buried;
1589, 15 June, Francis Coote, Gentleman-Usher to Queen Elizabeth,
was buried in this chancel, in which the following inscriptions were
formerly on brass plates.
Orate pro Animabus Rolandi Arsick, Armigeri, Secundi Filü Eudonis
Arsick, militis qui Rolandus obüt 17° Dic Febr. 1497, et Margaretæ
uroris eius, filiæ Thomæ Huntingfield, de hac billa que quidem, Mar-
garata obiit 25° die Octobris 1486, Ouorum Animabus propitietur Dcus,
Orate pro Animabus Willi Nobell de Ashfield, Armigeri, et Elizabethe
uroris eius, qui quidem Willus ob. 7°, die Julü, 1534, Ouor. ibz
propicietur Oeus, Amen. (fn. 28)
In 1526, Robert Saunder was buried in this church, who gave 20s.
towards the repairs of the steeple.
North Lopham Church is dedicated to St. Andrew the Apostle;
the tower is square having five bells in it; it was begun to be rebuilt
about 1479, for then Thomas Jente, who was buried here, gave 4
marks towards its building; but was not finished till about 1526, (fn. 29) for
till that time most that died here left something towards it; there
were certainly a great number of benefactors, the initial letters of the
names of the principal ones being carved in the stone-work on the
south side, John Kailli the principal undertaker's name being at
Orate pro Animabus Johannis Kailli.
m. a. w. a. J. B. m. b. K. b. m. a. &c.
The nave and chancel are thatched, the south isle leaded, and
the south porch tiled, in which there is a stone, fixed in the wall, for
Simon Aldrich, who died the 5th day of June, 1715.
In the south window of the chancel, a bishop, in his pontificalibus,
is represented as dead, lying along.
In the church is a black marble for Francis Bogas, Gent. who died
the 6th day of July, Ao Dom. 1692. Arms, two fesses and a canton.
On one of the bells.
Filius Uirginis Marie dat Nobis gaudia bite.
Here were two Gilds, (fn. 30) one dedicated to St. John, the other to St.
Peter, which were endowed with lands, seized upon by the Crown in
the 1st year of Edward VI. and so continued till King Phillip and
Queen Mary, in the 3d and 4th year of their reign, gave them to
Thomas Reeve and George Calton, who sold them the same year to
Thomas Brooke, and William Woodferme, who sold them again immediately to the inhabitants, who now enjoy them, viz. a tenement
and half an acre at the west end of the churchyard; three acres of
land in North Lopham, the first is called St. John's Acre, because it
belonged to that gild, and lies in Well, or Willbush Furlong; the
second is St. Peter's Acre, so called for the same reason; this abuts
upon the common towards the west; the third is called Lamp Acre,
and abuts on the glebe, and was given to maintain a lamp burning in
the church; all which are now held of the manor of East Greenwich,
by fealty only, without any payment, and were settled to the use of
In 1412, Sir Edmund Noon, Knt. lord of Shelf hanger, granted a
tenement called Elwine's, and 13 acres of land, part of his demeans,
to Richard Bosse, to be held free by him and his heirs for ever, by
the payment of a red rose every Midsummer Day at Shelf hanger
manor, all which lands, with others joined to them, he gave to this
town to repair the church for ever, settling them to that use upon
William Tye, parson of Shelf hanger, John Pycot, John Clare, and
John Gyles, clerks, who, in 1454, conveyed them to Henry Noon,
Esq. Edmund Bokenham, Esq. and John Halle, parson of Garboldisham, from which time it hath been held by feoffees, as it now
 is, and the profits applied to that use, it being now let at 8l.
In 1500, Robert Bolle of North Lopham gave a rood and half at
Willbush, to repair the church for ever.
In 1607, the inhabitants held a piece of land given by Thomas
Jente; a tenement called the Town-house, and a croft of one acre,
given by Catharine Turnor; a piece of pasture in Lyng Furlong of
2 acres, abutting on Kenninghall Common north.
The other town lands are let at 12l. per annum, whereof 1l. 10s. a
year lies in Garboldisham, and 1l. a year in South Lopham.
Here is a town-house inhabited by five poor people.
In 1696, Mrs. Mary Williamson of Garboldisham gave a meadow,
called Stulp Meadow, in Garboldisham, and another meadow adjoining to it, to this parish, the church-wardens of which are annually to
receive the rent, and to bind out a poor child every year to a trade;
and if there be no poor child in the parish, then they are to lay it
out to clothe the poor people of the said parish.
In 1730, the church-wardens leased out a cottage for 69 years to
come, to Trophimus Shepperd, at the annual rent of 1l. 2s. (fn. 31)
South Lopham hath an estate of 30l. a year at Wortham in Suffolk, which was given by one Purdy for the repairs of the church,
and if there were any overplus, to charitable uses, such as the feoffees
would apply it to, for the good of the town: the houses, and the
greatest part of the farm, is freehold.
Tradition has it, that Purdy was a Wortham man, and a leper,
and gave his estate to this town, because they were willing he should
be buried among them, which Wortham was not: but this being a
common story told in most places where there are gifts of this nature,
I look upon it as tradition only.
Here are three small cottages for the poor, by whom they are now
This town hath also 60 acres, called the Frith, taken off the common by the lord's consent, of whom they now hold it; it is marsh
ground, and let at 8l. per annum, the income of which is gven to the
poor by the feoffees every Christmas and Easter. And also a messuage, barn, and 16 acres of freehold land, lying in the parish, now
rented at 15l. per annum, settled to repair and beautify the church
for ever; and before the tenure of knight's service was abolished, it
paid scutage, and a relief of 2s. 2d. 0b.
Not many years since the inhabitants purchased a freehold estate
in Dickleburgh, rented at 8l. a year.
The Commons contain as much land as the whole towns beside,
on all which North and South Lopham are joint commoners, but no
other parishes intercommon with them; they are called the Great
or Mill Common, North Green, North Common, and the Fen Common, and the inhabitants heretofore had all Chimbrook Meadow, (fn. 32) for
common, which they granted to the lord to make his fishery, agreeing
to quit all right of commonage in it, and on all other the lord's
wastes, on the east side the hundred ditch, and park banks, for which
the lord agreed to lay them out an equivalent of other lands upon
their Great Common, which was done accordingly, reserving the
trees, furze, and bushes, growing, or which should ever hereafter
grow on the lands, so laid out, which privilege the lord still enjoys,
the lands being then called the Severals, and now the Allands, or
In former times this town was most wood, though now it doth not
more abound with it than its neighbours; for it appears from a fine
sued in 1383, that there was then great plenty; for in that year the
Countess of Norfolk settled 60 acres of wood, and the pannage and
keeping one boar, and 24 swine in her park here, with liberty of
gathering acorns for three days, with 25 men, on herself for life, remainder to the Countess of Pembrook for life, after to Sir John
Hastyngs, Knt. Earl of Pembrook, her son, and the heirs of his body,
remainder to the heirs of the Countess.
The honour of Clare extended into this town, there being divers
lands here, formerly held of that honour.
Rectors of Lopham,
1332. Robert de Cantuaria, or Canterbury, resigned, and William
Vygerous was instituted on the nones of Sept. presented by Thomas
de Brotherton, son of the King, Earl of Norfolk, and Earl-Marshal of England; in 1335, on the kal. of Maroh he had a dispensation
for non-residence, as domestick chaplain to Stephen de Gravesend
Bishop of London. This William, the 13th of the kal. of April,
1327, was presented by the Bishop of London, to Thorley rectory,
being then an accolite only: (fn. 33) In 1329, (fn. 34) he changed with Stephen de
Scaldeford for Finchley rectory in Middlesex, to which he was instituted the 6th of the id. of May, and was then priest; in 1332, on
the nones of Sept. he resigned Finchley, and took Lopham, for which
he gave his archdeaconry of Essex in exchange, to Robert de Cantuaria, to which he was collated by the Bishop of London, (fn. 35) on the
4th of the nones of Dec. Ao 1331; in 1336, he was collated to the
rectory of Fulham in Middlesex, which he held with Lopham to his
death, Ao 1341. This Robert de Cantuaria was chaplain to King
Edward II. rector of Lopham, archdeacon of Essex, prebend of Cumb
in the church of Wells, and of Mapesbury in St. Paul's church,
London, 1331, and died about 1333. (fn. 36)
1342, 29 March, Tko. de Thurleston, priest. Sir John de Segrave, Knt.
1342, 7 June, John de Loughton, accolite. Ditto.
1346, 17 July, He changed with Will. de Dunstaple, rector of
Chestreford, London diocese. (fn. 37) Ditto.
1349, 4 July, Will. de Atterton, priest. Ditto.
1351, 4 March, Giles de Wyngrewortk, a shaveling. King Edward, on account of the lands late Sir John Segrave's, having recovered this turn in his own court, against John de Segrave, those
lands being lately in the King's hands.
1352, 27 Aug. Giles resigned, and Richard de Penreth, priest, was
instituted. King Edward, on account of Sir John Segrave's lands
now in his hands, at Sir John's death.
1361, 27 July, Nicholas de Horton, priest. Walter Lord Manney. This Nicholas was a monk of Thetford, (fn. 38) and founder of South
Lopham chancel; he had a long suit with Walter Pek, rector of
Garboldisham St. John, about two pieces of the demean lands of the
rectory of Lopham, which laid in Garboldisham, the tithe of which
the rector of Garboldisham St. John claimed; but there passed a
decree against him, that neither the rectors of Lopham, nor their
farmers, should pay any tithe to Garboldisham, though the lands laid
in that parish.
1380, 22 August, Sir Giles de Wenlock, priest. Margaret
Mareschal Countess of Norfolk, and Lady Segrave; he was her
chaplain, and steward of her household.
1394, 3 Sept. Sir Jeffry Symond of Dersham, priest. The Countess
of Norfolk; (sc. Margaret;) John Grym, rector of Garboldisham
St. John, renewed the action against this Jeffery for tithe of his demeans, but was immediately cast.
1404, 25 Febr. Jeffry resigned, and Adam Cokelot, priest, succeeded. Elizabeth Dutchess of Norfolk, in right of her dower.
1423, 22 Dec. this Adam being grown old and blind, so that he
could not serve the cure, resigned in favour of Edmund Coupere,
priest, who was obliged by the Bishop, at his institution, to pay him a
pension of 10l. a year, during his life. Elizabeth Dutchess of
1431, 12 May, Edmund Couper resigned, and Henry Perbroun was
instituted. Edmund Wynter, Roger Hunte, and Robert
Southwell, feoffees of John Mowbray Duke of Norfolk.
1438, 25 Nov. Perbroun changed for Heydon with William Brixey,
priest. John Duke of Norfolk.
1446, 17 Sept. Tho. Wode, chaplain to John Duke of Norfolk.
This Thomas atte Wode was warden of Gonvile Hall in Cambridge in
1426, (fn. 39) which he held to 1454. He was the first benefactor towards
building the hall of that college, and the warden's old room; Dr.
Caius (by mistake) calls him Cotwood.
1462, 8 March, Rich. Derby. John Duke of Norfolk; he was
after chaplain to the Dutchess. (fn. 40)
1507, ult. Jan. John Gravely, on the death of the last rector.
1546, 2 Febr. The Right Rev. John Salisbury, Suffragan Bishop
of Thetford, was presented by the King. He resigned in
1554; but on the 6th of May, in the same year, he took it again,
and held it united to Diss, being presented by Thomas Duke of Norfolk. He resigned in
1560, and John Harrison, priest, was instituted June 29.
1576, 16 Nov. John Dovefield, A. M. Will. Dixe, and Will.
Canterell, Esqrs. feoffees.
1578, 22 Sept. Arthur Womack, A.M. on Dovefield's resignation.
Ditto. He was buried here the 18th of June, 1607.
1607, 20 June, Laurence Womack, A. M. John Holland, and
Edward Carrell, Esqrs. feoffees to Thomas Earl of Arundell; he
died in the rebellion, and one
Thomas Ellis got possession of this rectory, who held it by usurpation till 1663, (fn. 41) but was then deprived by six justices, upon the act,
for holding anabaptistical errours, and refusing to baptize infants.
1663, April 24, Edmund Salmon, D.D. of Cambridge, Henry
Howard, Knt. Will. Plaiters, Bart. &c. trustees to the Norfolk
1681, 2 May, Samuel Slipper, A. M. chaplain to the Duke of
Norfolk on Salmon's death. John Meek and John Jay, patrons
for this turn.
1713, 11 June, the Rev. Mr. Robert Hall, A. M. on Slipper's death,
presented by Thomas Duke of Norfolk, who some time after sold
the patronage to Dr. Hill, who hath obliged his heirs for ever, to
present a fellow of St. John's College in Cambridge. Sir Rowland
Hill is now  patron, and Mr. Hall aforesaid is incumbent,
who hath published a volume of Sermons, and another of Catechistical Lectures, in 8vo. and a Sermon on the Peace.
This town is remarkable among the country people for the three
Wonders; (as they call them;) the first is, the Selfgrown Stile,
being a tree grown in such a manner, that it forms a regular stile, and
serves for such in a common footpath. The second is, the Ox-Foot
Stone, which lies in a meadow so called; it is a large stone of the
pebble kind; on which is the fair impression of an ox's foot, which
seems to be natural; the fable of it is, that in a great dearth (nobody
knows when) there came a cow constantly to that place, which suffered herself to be milked (as long as the dearth lasted) by the poor
people; but when that decreased, she struck her foot against that
stone, which made the impression, and immediately disappeared.
The third is called Lopham Ford, at which place the Ouse and
Waveney (those disagreeing brethren, as Spelman (fn. 42) calls them) have
their rise, and though there is no greater division than nine feet of
ground, yet the former goes west by Thetford to Lynn, and the latter
in a direct contrary course, by Diss, and so to Yarmouth, including
this whole county; Leland calls it Lopham Market, (without any
authority,) and says that it belonged to Richmond fee, being led
into that errour, I suppose, by its being the place where the gaol of
the Duke of Norfolk's liberty was kept, of which Swaffham is the head
town in this county, where the coroner for the liberty generally resided, and that town belonging to Richmond fee, might possibly lead
him into this mistake; and as this liberty is of large extent in the
county, it will not be amiss to give you an account of its rise and
privileges in this place, because it hath been generally reputed to be,
as it were, annexed to this manor.
King Edward IV. (fn. 43) by letters patent under the broad seal of
England, dated at Westminster the 7th of December, in the 8th year
of his reign, and in the year of our Lord 1468, granted to John
Duke of Norfolk, and Elizabeth his wife, and their heirs, for ever,
the return of all writs whatsoever, and of all bills, summons, precepts,
and mandates of the King, and of all acting under him, within the
liberty, manors, and hundreds following, viz. within the manors and
demeans of Forncet, Framlingham - Parva, Ditchingham - Parva,
Ditchingham, Loddon, Syseland, Halvergate, Southwalsham, Cantley,
Strumpshaw, Castre, Winterton, Dickleburgh, Boyton, and Bayfield,
in the county of Norfolk, and also within the whole hundred of
Earsham, and the half hundred of Gildercrosse in the said county,
and also in the towns, parishes, and demeans, of Kelsale, Bonnagaie,
Peasenhall, Calcote, Stonham, Dennington, Brundish, Ilketshalle, and
Cratefield, in Suffolk; and in the rapes of Lewis and Bramber, and
all the parts and parcels thereto belonging; and in the hundred and
lordship of Boseham, and the town of Stoughton, in Sussex, in the
manor and lordships of Reygate and Barkyng in Surrey; and the
town, manor, and lordships of Harwich and Dovercourt in Essex;
and in all parcels, precincts, and jurisdictions of all the aforesaid
rapes, hundreds, towns, manors, and lordships, so that no sheriff, or
any other officer whatsoever, should enter the said liberty, but that
every thing should be transacted by the officers of the said Duke,
appointed for that purpose. Furthermore, the King granted to the
Duke and his heirs, all manner of fines, profits, amerciaments, penalties, &c. of all residents in the said liberty, with all other things that
should accrue to his royal crown and dignity, with full power for the
Duke's officers to seize for any of them, in as full a manner as the
King's officers should have done, if this grant had not been made.
Further, the King granted to the said Duke and his heirs, all weyfs
and strays, felons' goods, and forfeitures; and also, that the residents
in this liberty shall not be sued or forced to answer in any other court,
than that of the liberty, for any sum under 40s. And further, the
King granted to the said Duke, full power and authority, to have his
own coroners, and clerks of the markets, in his liberty, with the same
power that those officers of the King have in any other place; together with a steward of the liberty, who shall have power to determine
all actions under 40s. so that they arise within the liberty; all which
privileges the King confirmed to him, in exchange for the castle,
manor, lordship, and burgh of Chepstowe, the manor of Barton, and
the manor and lordship of Tuddenham, in the Welsh Marshes, to
which all the aforesaid privileges (and much greater) belonged, and
had been enjoyed by the Duke and his ancestors, time out of mind,
but were now by the Duke, at the King's earnest request, conveyed
to Wm. Earl of Pembrook, and his heirs, and a fine levied accordingly. This liberty, with all its privileges, was enjoyed by the said
Duke, and his successours, till Queen Elizabeth's time, and then were
exemplified under seal, at Westminster, the 4th of July, 1558, at the
request of Thomas Duke of Norfolk, who was then seized in fee, and
so continued till 1568, when he settled this, among other large estates,
on Tho. Cornwallis, Knt. Nich. L'Estrange, Knt. Tho. Timperly,
Wm. Barker, Rob. Higford, and Edw. Peacock, and their heirs, to
his own use for life, and to whatever other uses he should declare, by
any will or deed that he should make; and soon after he declared by
deed, that they stood seized to the use of the faithful and beloved
servants of the late Duke, John Bleverhasset, W. Dixe, William
Cantrell, and Laurence Bannester, in trust, that they should truly pay
the debts and legacies of the said Duke, and the overplus to remain
to Phillip Earl of Surrey, and his heirs, remainder to Thomas Lord
Howard, and William Lord Howard, and their heirs; but upon the
attainder of the Duke, and Phillip Earl of Surrey, it was seized by
the Crown, where it continued till James I. by letters patent, dated
at Westminster in the year 1602, being the first year of his reign, gave
and granted to his faithful counsellors, Thomas Lord Howard, baron
of Walden, and Henry Howard, brother of Thomas late Duke of Norfolk, and son of Henry late Earl of Surrey, and their heirs, this liberty,
with the honour, lordship, and manor of Forncet, and the manors of
Earl's, or Little Framlingham, Halvergate, Ditchingham, Siseland,
Dickleburgh, Loddon, and Laundich hundred in Norfolk; the castle,
soke, and manor of Bongeye, and manor of Cratfield, in Suffolk; (all
being part of the possessions of the late attainted Duke;) together
with all lawdays, amerciaments, views of frankpledge, &c. the one
moiety to Thomas Lord Howard, and his heirs, the other to Henry
Howard, and his heirs; and the year following, on the 3d day of
April, the King, by other letters patent, granted to Thomas Earl of
Suffolk, Lord Chamberlain of his Household, and to Henry Earl of
Northampton, Guardian of the Cinque Ports, (those titles being conferred on them in the mean time,) and their heirs, the manors and
advowsons of Ditchingham and South Walsham, late the attainted
Duke's; and by other letters patent, dated at Westminster, Nov. 22,
in the 6th year of his reign, he gave them the half hundred of Gyltcross in Norfolk, and Cratfield and Kelsale manors in Suffolk, late the
said Duke's, with all their liberties, &c.; together with the barony,
burgh, and manor of Lewes in Sussex, and the barony and manor of
Bramber, with the office of itinerant bailiff, and of clerks of the
markets within the said baronies in Sussex, together with Darkyng
cum Capell manor in Surrey, with all the liberties of the late Duke of
Norfolk, as leets, views of frankpledge, lawdays, assize of bread and
beer, pleas, weyfs, streys, forfeitures of felons, fugitives, deodands,
knight's fees, escheats, heriots, free-warren, return of all writs, precepts,
&c. in as full and ample a manner as ever Thomas Duke of Norfolk
enjoyed his liberty, before his attainder; by means of which grant,
each of them was seized of a moiety, all which premises they divided
by indenture, dated the 13th day of May following. The manors of
Forncet, Ditchingham, Loddon, Syseland, Halvergate, South Walsham, Laundich hundred, and the half hundred of Earsham, with the
manor of Bongey, were assigned to Henry Earl of Northampton, and
his heirs, of which he died seized in 1613, and they descended to
Thomas Earl of Arundell and Surrey, (who was restored in blood, in
a parliament at Westminster, March 19, 1602,) as cousin and next
heir, then aged 25 years, (fn. 44) he being son of Phillip late Earl of Arundell and Surrey, deceased, son and heir of Thomas late Duke of
Norfolk, and elder brother of the said Henry late Earl of Northampton.
And after this, Henry Earl of Arundell and Surrey, by indenture
dated March 1, 1617, purchased to him and his heirs, of Thomas Earl
of Suffolk, all his part, right, and estate, in the hundred of Gyltcross,
Kelsale and Cratfield manors in Suffolk; the rapes of Lewes and
Bramber and Noman's-Land in Sussex; Darkyng and Capell manors
in Surrey, the barony, manor, and burgh of Lewes, with the office of
bailiff itinerant; the manors of Lewisburgh, Rymer, Ilford, Seaford,
Meching, Middleton, Brithelmeston; the free chase called Clers;
liberty of the sheriff's turn of Noman's-Lands, Sheffield, and Grimstead
manors; the barony and manor of Bramber, with the itinerant bailiff
there; the burgh of Horsham, burgh of Shorambury and Beding New
Park; the burgh of Steyning, and the manor of Sompting-Abbots;
the office of clerks of the markets in Lewes and Bramber baronies,
Sheffield and Lyngfield manor, the fourth part of Barkyng and Capell
manors, the tollbooth of Southwark, and Guilford in Surrey, and all
privileges that Thomas late Duke of Norfolk had in the letters patent
of Queen Elizabeth; and particularly all those liberties, commonly
called the Duke of Norfolk's Liberty, by virtue of which, Thomas
Earl of Arundell and Surrey aforesaid was seized of the whole in fee,
and so continued till the 12th of August, 1641, and then he and the
Lady Alathea Countess of Arundell, his wife, and Henry Lord Mowbray and Maltravers, their eldest son, and heir apparent, Henry
Bedingfield, Knt. and John Cornwaleis of Earl-Soham, their trustees,
settled it (among many other estates) on Lionel Earl of Middlesex,
Henry Lord Pierpoint, Edward Lord Newburgh, William Playters,
Knt. and Bart and Richard Onslow, Knt. in trust, to whatever uses
the Earl, his lady, and their son, should declare by deed; and on the
16th of August, in the same year, they declared it was absolutely to
the use of their trustees, and their heirs, in order that they should
make sale of all, or any parcels of the said baronies, lands, tenements,
hereditaments, liberties, advowsons, &c. aforesaid; and that the
money from thence raised should be by them applied to pay the
debts of Thomas late Earl of Arundell and Surrey, and the overplus
to remain to the Lord Maltravers, or his heirs; and whatever remained unsold, after the debts paid, they were to stand seized of, to
the use of the Lord Maltravers and his heirs; (and that the title might
be perfect, Will. Howard of Maynward, in Cumberland, Knt. joined
in the indentures;) and thus they stood seized till Henry Lord Pierpoint, by the name of Henry Earl of Kingston upon Hull, Marquis of
Dorset, by deed dated the 6th of Feb. 1636, at the request of Henry
Howard, son of Henry late Earl of Arundell and Surrey, released to
Will. Playters, and Rich. Onslow aforesaid, and their heirs, all his
right in the premises, by virtue of which they were solely seized, and
being so, by indenture, dated the 30th of July, 1659, they conveyed
them to Arthur Onslowe, Knt. and William Turner, citizen and
draper of London, and their heirs; (Forncet, Marshal's, and Grey's
manors in Banham, being particularly named;) and the said Arthur
and William, by indenture dated the 4th of Nov. 1660, jointly with,
and at the request of, Henry Howard, Esq. second son of Henry
Earl of Arundell, deceased, and Rich. Onslow of West Clandon, Knt.
Arth. Onslow, his son and heir, John Fowell of Fowellscom in Devonshire, Esq. and Rich. Marriot of Clement's Danes in Middlesex, Knt.
conveyed the whole absolutely to John Taseburgh of Bodney in
Norfolk, Esq. and his heirs, in trust, and to the use of Rich. Onslowe,
Arth. Onslowe, John Taseburgh, and Will. Turner, and their heirs,
to the intention that they should sell the whole, or any part of the
premises, with the woods or timber, to raise money to pay all the
debts of the aforesaid Hen. Howard, with all their own expenses in
the affair, and the remaining overplus, whether in money, or estates
unsold, was to be to the sole use of the said Henry Howard, and his
heirs, and of whomsoever he should assign it to, upon which the said
Rich. Onslowe, Arth. Onslowe, Will. Turner, and John Taseburgh
being solely seized of the liberty, &c. beg that the liberties, &c.
might be allowed and confirmed to them, which was done, upon their
producing the charters and grants, all which were allowed by Jeffry
Palmer, Bart. Attorney-General, and at the request of Henry Lord
Howard, were exemplified under seal at Westminster, the 2d of April,
1669, and soon after (the debts being paid) it was again vested in the
Howard family, the Duke of Norfolk being now lord, who nominates
a steward and coroner, and keeps a gaol for debtors, either here, or
elsewhere, as he pleases.
In 1603, there were in both Lophams 351 communicants, and now
 there are 76 dwelling-houses, 95 families, and 470 inhabitants
in South Lopham; and 74 dwelling-houses, 92 families, and 460 inhabitants in North Lopham. They paid 5l. 12s. to the old tenths,
being valued together, but now they are assessed single to the King's
tax, viz. South Lopham at 785l. per annum, and North Lopham at
772l. 10s. each of them paying a leet fee of 18d.
The Rev. Mr. Robert Hall bears, arg. on a chevron ingrailed between three talbots heads erased gul. a mullet of the field, in chief a
crescent for difference. Crest, on a torce arg. and gul. a talbot's
head erased gul.
Mr. Wade Kett of South Lopham bears, as in p. 39, a crescent for
Mr. Henry Branch of South Lopham bears, arg. a lion ramp. gul.
over all a bendlet sab.
Mr. Richard Flowerdew of South Lopham bears, per chevron ingrailed arg. and sab. three water-boudgets counter-changed, a mullet