Is a small village, known by travellers by the name of Gasthorp
Gate, which is a publick-house that hath a gate for its sign, contrived at first, I suppose, from the name of the town; it stands on
a great road which crosses the river here: it seems to take its name
from some owner of it, [Gades Dorp] or Gatesthorp, signifying the
village or mansion of some one of that name.
The Church is dedicated to St. Nicholas, and is a rectory, discharged of first fruits and tenths. It hath no parsonage-house, but
there are 30 acres of glebe.
|King's Books||Ann. Val. with Riddlesworth, is||Procurations.||Synodals.||Lincoln Taxat.|
|6||9||4 ob.||48||9||1||3 q.||0||3||0||0||1||0||vj. marks.|
The advowson belonged to the Prior of the monks at Thetford,
who always presented till the Dissolution, unless in cases of lapse, or
when that priory was in the King's hands as an alien.
1289, Sir William, rector of Gatesthorp. Sir Adam de Levermere, then parish chaplain.
1314, kal. Jan. Walter de Fakenham, priest. Lapse.
1327, 3 non. Oct. John de Boys, accolite. The Prior of Thetford.
1349, 16 March, John de Melles of Brampton, priest. Mary
Countess of Norfolk, by grant from the King; who holds the advowson, the temporals of Thetford priory, which is an alien, being in
his hands during the wars.
1358, 16 March, John de Berkyng, a shaveling, instituted in the
person of Sir Nic. de Wrotham, rector of Langford, his proxy. Mary
Countess of Norfolk.
1369, 19 Aug. Stephen de Rydon, priest. The Prior of St. Mary
1375. 12 April, David Bonegent, priest. King Edward, during
the wars: he had license to plant on the lord's waste, called the
Holms, against his rectory-house.
1404, 13 July, Rich. de Wyrham, priest. The Prior.
1409, 5 Aug. John Skarlet, priest. on Wyrham's resignation.
1410, 20 March, Walter de Westwalton, priest, Ditto.
1412, 29 Aug. John Covyn, priest, on Walter's resignation.
1413, 3 April, Roger Sekot, on Covyn's resignation. Ditto.
1414, 21 May, John Blome of Ixworth, shaveling, on Sekot's resignation. Ditto.
1417, 10 May, Rich. Flaxere, or Flaxby, priest. The Prior. At
his death in
1438, 18 June, John-Walter de Elveden, priest. Will. de Elveden, sub-prior, the priory being void.
1459, 13 Dec. Tho. Hunt, chaplain. The Prior.
1482, 29 April. Ric. Cokke. Ditto.
1496, 21 Febr. Will. de Ostelyn. Robert Prior of Thetford.
1510, 28 Jan. Will. Cramfodre, on Ostelyn's death. Ditto.
1414, 27 March, John Baron. Ditto.
1525, 4 May, Tho. Jamys, on Baron's death, united to Gnateshall.
1559,---Dec. Thomas Pike, priest. Thomas Duke of Norfolk.
1573, 25 June, Francis Clark, on Pike's resignation. He was
buried here Feb. 8, 1616, Tho. Bleverhasset, Will. Dixe, and
Will. Cantrell, feoffees for the Duke.
1617, 25 March, Gaudy Bolton, S.T.B. Robert Bolton, this
turn; he had Garboldisham.
1634, 22 Dec. Robert Wotton, A.M. Anne, relict of Sir Drue
Drury, Knt. and Drue Drury, her son.
1661, 25 Oct. Thomas Newcome, A.M. on Wotton's death. Sir
Drue Drury, Bart. united to Gnateshall.
1675, 8 June, George Rayner on Newcourt's death, united to
Riddlesworth: Robert Drury, Bart.
1681, 30 June, Thomas Barnes, A.M. on Rayner's death. Sir
Robert Drury, Bart. He was instituted to Riddlesworth the same
day, and held them by union till the 19th of December following,
and then he obtained a perpetual consolidation. See Ridlesworth.
The church stands alone on a hill, it is a very mean building of one
isle only, and a chancel, both of which are thatched; the tower is
square, having only two bells, a third being sold in 1607, to repair
the church; there is not one inscription, nor any thing else remarkable, except several very ancient coffin-stones with crosses upon
them, which were laid over some of the rectors, or other religious
persons that were interred here. Since the consolidation, Service is
performed here but once in a fortnight.
This village was always small, being but half a league long, and
half a league broad, and paid but 7d. Danegeld. It belonged to the
Conqueror, who committed it to Earl Godric's care; it had then one
carucate in demean, and was held by a freeman in King Edward's
time, and was in Kenninghall soken. (fn. 1)
The Abbot of Bury had a part here worth 5s. in the Confessor's
time, and 10s. in the Conqueror's, when it was held of him by an
Englishman. (fn. 2)
The whole town, except the Abbot's part, remained in the Crown,
till King Henry II. gave it to William de Albany Earl of Arundel,
before 1198, and the year following, at his death, it went to William,
his son and heir, who made a feoffment of the whole, to
Warine de Gatesthorp, and his heirs, who were to hold it of
him and his heirs, by the service of two knights fees, and this is the
reason that all the manors here were afterwards held of Tateshale
barony. Soon after this it was divided, for the Prior of Thetford had
the advowson and half a fee, and John de Berdewell, and his
partners had another half fee, each of which constituted a manor.
Gatesthorp's whole fee was afterwards called, West Hall, or Wrotham's; the Prior's half fee, East Hall, or Garleks; and Berdewell's
half fee was called Up Hall.
West Hall, or Wrotham's Manor,
Was, after Warine's death, in Sir Adam de Gatesthorp, then in
Galfrid de Stanton, and soon after in Adam de Wrotham; in 1346,
in James his son, and in 1350, Nic. de Wrotham was lord; in 1364,
James de Wrotham, and Alice his wife, owned it; in 1366, James
was dead, and the manor belonged to Roger de Felbrigge, John
Seckford, Knts. and others, trustees of Alice, his widow, who after
married to John Cocket, who was lord. In 1398, Tho. de Redelesworth, (fn. 3) was lord, who left it to Jeffry de Redelesworth, his son, who
by will dated 1415, ordered to be buried at Gasthorp, and gave
his manor there to Thomas his son, in tail, remainder to Sir William
Berdewell, and Robert his son, who was executor, and inherited about
1450, Thomas Redelesworth, son of John, dying soon after without
heirs, as did his two sisters, Agnes and Margaret, upon which
Robert, son of Sir William Berdewell, Knt. did homage for it
to Ralf Lord Cromwell, as belonging to Tateshale barony, of which
it was held by one fee,; and thus it was joined to the other manor,
and hath continued so ever since.
East Hall, or Garleck's Manor,
Came, some way or other, very soon from Thetford Prior (who kept
the advowson to himself, and part of the demeans, valued in 1302 at
a quarter of a fee) to
John de Furneaux, Will. and Roger de Maynwaryn, Hugh de
Snitterton, and Nich. de Beaufeau, who were lords in 1280, being
Furneaux's trustees; after this it belonged to
Jeffry Bainard, whose son Roger was lord in 1294, and lived
at Wramplingham; he settled it on Will. de la Menewaryn, rector of
East-Herling, who, in 1336, conveyed it to Sir Walter de Fakenham,
rector of Gasthorp, together with the reversion of the dower of
Marion, late wife of Jeffry Banyard, who was still living. In 1346,
Aveline, late wife of Roger le Menewaryn, was lady. In 1349,
Alice, late wife of Hugh de Bokenham, had it; and the same
year Roger Baniard became lord, who was succeeded by Robert
Baniard and Maud his wife, who left a daughter named Margery;
she and John, son of Sir John Furneaux, Knt. and Alice Avenaunt,
daughter of Rose atte Wyk of Fakenham-Parva, niece to Rob.
Baniard, released all their rights to
John Garlek, of Gatesthorp, before 1361; and he, in 1381,
settled it on Nic. de Whichingham and others, who in 1388 released
their rights to Walter Garlek of Sporle, his son, and Adam Monk of
Lerling, who conveyed it to Tho. Jenney, Knt. Henry and Edmund
de Pakenham, in trust, and so it continued till about 1398, and then
it was purchased of the said Walter by
Sir Will. Berdewell of West-Herling, Knt. and joined to his
manor of Up Hall, both which, by will dated in 1391, he settled on
Margaret his wife, and Robert his son, in tail, naming Tho. Jenney,
Tho. Hemgrave, Knts. Henry and Edmund de Pakenham, his
Up Hall, or Berdewell's Manor,
Was granted to John de Berdewell, who was lord in 1285; at his
death Sara his wife had it; she was daughter to Sir John de Furneaux,
and lady in 1290. In 1330, Thomas, her son, was lord; in 1342,
Ric. Rob. and Thomas, grandsons of John and Sarah de Berdewelle,
were lords. In 1348, John de Berdewelle; and in 1375, James de
Wrotham had it, during the life of Alice his wife, by grant from
Tho. Berdewelle. In 1399, Sir William Berdewelle, Knt. was lord,
whose trustees, John Cokayn, Tho. Derham, and Ric. Alfred, in 1403,
settled it on Robert, son of Sir Will. Berdewelle, and Elizabeth his
wife, after the death of the said Sir William, and Margaret his wife;
and in 1433, Sir William released Up Hall and Garleck's to his son
Robert, in whom all the three manors became united, and have
passed as West-Herling to this time; for which reason I shall refer
In the Custom Roll of West Hall Manor, made in Sir John de
Gatesthorp's time, this peculiar custom is entered: That every tenant
of that manor that marries out of the homage, is obliged to pay the
lord a bed, bolster, sheet, and pillow; this was constantly observed,
and there are abundance of entries in the rolls of such payments;
but in Richard the Second's time the bed was omitted by the lord's
kindness, (fn. 4) though the rest were paid in Queen Elizabeth's time, or a
composition for them. Every woman that had a bastard paid 2s. 8d.
leyrwite, but the widows did not so. The dower of this manor was a
third part of all free and copyhold lands, and a moiety of all lands
held in soccage.
It was fine certain, and the copyhold descended to the youngest
son; the tenants could not plant, nor fell timber, nor waste their
copyhold-houses without license. The greatest part (if not the whole)
is purchased by the present lord, so that there are but few if any
tenants at this time [1736.]
In 1419, the town of Gathesthorp held a piece of pasture called
the Rodys, and then the cullet (fn. 5) that went in the lord's flock, and
laid in his fold, paid as many small rents as amounted to 4s. per
In 1390, Richard de Boyland's tenants in Wilby were attached to
do fealty and homage to East Hall manor, and also the tenants of
Wynneferthyng (fn. 6) for the same, and for one pound of pepper annual
rent, issuing out of the tenement, and 50 acres of land, which lies
between the way called Bokenham Gate, and the tenement of Sir
Hugh Le Vere, and abuts on Wynneferthing town, the tithes of
which belong two garbs to Thetford monks, and one garb to Shelfhanger rector. This laid in Winfarthing and Shelfhanger, on the
road that leads from Shelfhanger to Winfarthing. The rector of
Winfarthing paid 20s. to the monks of Thetford for his portion, and
Shelfhanger rector 18d.
Was that part which belonged to Bury abbey; in 1288, Adam
Kempe had it, and paid 2s. 6d. a year to that abbey; in 1289, Gilbert
Kempe owned it; in 1294, Will. Kempe, who gave part of it with his
daughter Lettice in marriage to Will. de Norwich; in 1297, he was
dead, and he married again to Simon de la Maynwaryn of Herling,
and that part fell into East Hall manor; the other part, in 1330, at
Emma Kempe's death, came to John Kempe her son; and in 1341 was
Will. Kempe's by which time it was so far divided and aliened, that
there remained no rents.
This Norwich family was the most ancient of any that I meet with,
that lived here; I have a deed without date, by which John de
Norwich, who lived at Gasthorp, manumised Richard son of William
Godhewe, of Herling-Parva, and all his posterity.
The Leet belongs to the hundred, the lord of which is lord paramount, and hath weyf, strey, and all other liberties, the lords of these
manors not claiming any, upon the quo warantos brought for each
lord to set forth his privileges. The leet fee is 12d.
Mr. Margaret Gawdie gave 20s. per annum to the poor of this
parish, which is now  paid by the parish of Garboldisham.
In 1603 here were 27 communicants; and now there are 9 houses,
and about 60 inhabitants. It paid 38s. to the tenths, and is now
 assessed at about 150l. to the land tax.