MARKET-HERLING, or EAST-HERLING,
Is so called because it lies most east of all three; it belonged to
Ketel the Dane, a freeman in the Confessor's time, when it was one
manor, having two carucates in demean; in the Conqueror's time
Ingulf held it under Will. de Schoies, there being then a church and
4 acres of land belonging to it; the whole was 2 miles long, and 2
miles broad, and paid 17d. 1q. geld. (fn. 1)
The whole came to the Earl Warren, and a part of it went with a
younger branch of that family to the Bardolphs, and Hugh de Bardolph held it at half a fee; this after became Fawconer's manor.
A quarter of a fee went to Robert Malet.
Another half fee went to Roger de Schovill,
And the other fee and 3 quarters was held of the Earl Warren, the
whole making 3 fees, two fees and an half of which constituted the
capital manor called
Which contained a carucate in demean, and was held by a family
sirnamed De Norfolk, the last of which was Gilbert de Norfolk, who
died seized, leaving his five daughters coheiresses.
The first married Eudo, son of Adam de Multon; the second,
William de Verdon; the third, Roger Bygod of Felbrigge, the fourth,
William de Maynwaryn; the fifth, Rob. de Aiguillon; and each of
them had a fifth part of the manor and advowson, which after this
division became so many separate manors. Martina de Norfolk was
Gilbert's sister, and William was her son, and both had lands here,
but were not concerned in the manor.
Was soon united to Bygod's or Felbrigge's, for Eudo released it to Sir
Simon Le Bygod of Felbrigge, and Maud his wife, and their heirs,
and so it fell into Felbrigge's immediately.
William de Verdon, who married Maud, daughter of Gilbert
de Norfolk, died before his wife, and she had her dower allowed her,
it having been settled by them, before his death, on Will. de Lakenham, and Isabell his wife, after whom Alexander de Vaux of Keswick,
and Margaret his sister, had each a third part, which, before 1268,
they released to John de Vaux, their brother, and Margaret his wife,
for they in that year released it (the advowson being excepted) to
Tho. de Jernemuta or Yarmouth, who had it jointly with Aveline his
wife, about 1234, which Aveline remarried to John de Wachesham,
and they, in 1303 settled it by fine on Simon Le Bygot, and his heirs,
and so united it to Felbrigge's manor; but the fifth part of the advowson, which was excepted, passed from the Vauxes to the Hales,
and so fell into Maynewaryn's manor.
William de Maynwaryn died in 1247; Emma or Amy, his
wife, daughter of Gilbert de Norfolk, recovered her dower against
Roger her son, who was joint lord with William his brother, in 1256;
Simon, son of Roger, was lord in 1286, against whom Lucia, late
widow of William his uncle, then married to Stephen de Gissing, recovered her dower; this Simon was married to Lettice his wife in
1297, whose daughter, Agatha Meynewaryn, was lady in 1315, from
which time I meet with nothing of it till 1368, and then Sir Roger de
Hales had it, whose successour, Stephen de Hales, presented in right of
his two fifth parts of the advowson. In 1401, Lady Joan de Hales
had it, and very soon after it belonged to Sir John Gonvile, with
whose daughter and heiress it passed to Sir Robert Herling, and so fell
into the capital manor.
Went from Robert to Walter de Aiguillon, and from him to Robert
de Agelyn, who settled it on Symon Le Bygot of Felbrigge, and Maud
his wife, and their heirs, for 10 marks per annum, to be paid to the
said Robert at Flitcham, during his life, and thus it fell into
Felbrigg's, or The Capital Manor
Roger Le Bygot de Felebrigge, who was as often called
Roger de Felbrigge, in right of Gilbert de Norfolk's daughter, whom
he had married, had a fifth part of the manor and advowson; after
him succeeded Richard de Felbrigge, who gave Alfred Kokerbolle,
his villein, and all his services, to the canons at Thetford: William de
Felbrigge was his son and heir, whose wife Mary, after his death,
married to Merlai, and held this manor in dower, which went to Simon
Le Bygot of Felbrigge, and Maud his wife, who held it of the Earl
Warren; in King Henry the Third's time he purchased Aguillon's and
Multon's parts. In 1280, Sir Roger le Bygod of Felbrigge had a charter
of free-warren for his manors of Herling, Felbrigge, Runton, Melton,
and Palling, when he and his parceners held Herling manors, late
Gilbert de Norfolk's at 2 fees and an half, of the Earl-Marshal. In
1303, Simon Le Bygod of Felbrigge, and Alice his wife, purchased
Verdon's manor; this Simon had the whole by grant from William Le
Bygod, his brother, who was rector here, and in 1347, he and his wife
conveyed the advowson, with 1 acre of land only, to him again, and
in 1350, they settled all, but the acre and advowson, on Nicholas
Bourne, of Long-Stratton, who left it to his two daughters and heirs,
Elizabeth, married to Sir Tho. Jenney, Knt. who, in 1361, released
all their right to Margaret their sister, and John de Herling her husband, and their heirs, who purchased the advowson of William Bygot,
and so joined it to the manor again.
Came with the younger branch of the Earl Warren's family to the
Bardolfs, (fn. 2) and from them to Phillip de Virlye, from him to John de
Boyland, and from him to Ralph of Kenninghall, sirnamed Le Falconer, and then to his son Ralf of Keninghall, to whose son, Simon
of Keninghall, William de Hastyngs of Quidenham granted a messuage and many lands there, free, at 12d, a year rent. (fn. 3) In Henry the
Third's time, John Le Falconer held half a fee of Maud de Boyland,
and she of Phillip de Virlye, he of Hugh Bardolf, he of the Earl
Warren, and the Earl of the King, at half a fee, the relief being 20s.
as the Feudary informs us; this John was alive in 1283.
In 1286, Any de Rusheword claimed weyf here, and William de
Cringlethorp, also; Amy might be Falconer's widow, married again
In 1288, John Le Fawconer, and Joan his wife, had lands here,
settled on them by Edmund de Munpinzon, and others.
In 1302, they lived at Keninghall, were lords in 1315, and had
added other lands in Herling and Keninghall, valued at the eighth part
of a fee, which they held of Robert de Tateshall, as or Bokenham castle.
In 1345, Simon Le Falconer had it, and paid his relief; he was
John Fawconer, whose wife Julian died before him in 1374, and
he held her manors for life, by the courtesy of England, they having
then no living issue; she was daughter and coheir of Tho. de Ormesby;
her sisters were to inherit her manors at her husband's death: sc.
Gunnora, married to Perers, (fn. 4) and had John Perers, who had one
daughter only, Elizabeth, married to Sir Tho. de Narford, Knt.;
Elen, her other sister, married, and had two daughters, Agnes, married to Snecke, and Alice to Derling.
It was soon after in the Gonviles, but how it came to them I know
not; the Falconers lived first at Keninghall, and afterwards in the
manor-house, which laid between Keninghall and Herling, and is now
called Hill-Herling, or Gelding Hall.
From the Gonviles it went with their heiress to the Herlings, and
the whole being joined, it was called
The Herlings were a family of great antiquity in this parish,
from which they received their names; I find them mentioned in
divers evidences without date, as Walter de Eastherling, and Ralph
his son, John de Herling, and Odo his son, who gave a rood of land
to the canons at Thetford; but as none of them were concerned in
the lordship before John de Herling, about 1350, I shall begin with
him in the following pedigree.
In 1360, John de Herling had free-warren allowed him in this
manor, and those of Quidenham, Gnateshall, Newton, and Corton in
Lothingland; in 1367, he settled this manor and advowson, Quidenham manor and advowson, the manor of Gnatshall, manors in both
Bokenhams, Croxton and Rothynghall manor in Brettenham, on Thomas Heyward, master of Rushworth college, and other feoffees; he
was a good soldier, and most expert manager of maritime affairs,
upon which account, in 1342, he had the custody of the sea-water
at Bristol, during the King's pleasure. He was buried in the church
of St. Peter and Paul at East-Herling, (in Herling's chapel,) according to his will, in which he ordered his best horse to be led before
his corpse to the grave, as his principal or mortuary for the priest.
He died seized of the aforesaid manors, with those of Long-Stratton,
and many others, leaving them all to his eldest son and heir,
Sir John de Herling, Knt. who, in 1389, settled on his mother,
then wife of Sir John Tuddenham, Bornes, Snape, and Sturmine Hall
manors in Long-Stratton, the advowson of St. Mary's chapel in
Waketon, and St. Mary's church in Stratton, and Rothynghall in
Brettenham. He married Cecily, daughter and coheir of Tho. Mortimer of Attleburgh, Knt. who survived him, and after married John
Ratcliff, Esq. son of Sir John Ratcliff, Knt.; she brought a great
estate to the Herlings; his brother Robert had an estate in Newton,
and Corton, and Thomas, in Lounde in Lothingland. In 1374, he
settled on George de Felbrigge, Knt. and other trustees, this, and
Quidenham manors and advowsons, 51s. rent in Brettenham and Bokenham, the manors of Gnateshall and Corton, and others in Suffolk,
all which were possessed by Cecily his widow, and after by John
Ratcliff, her second husband, who, in 1440, held Newenham manor in
Cambridge town, of the King in burgage, remainder to Sir Robert
Herling, Knt. remainder to Anne his daughter and heir, married to
Sir Will. Chamberlain.
Sir Robert Herling, Knt. was a great warriour in France in the
time of that victorious prince King Henry V. whom he attended in
1412, at the siege of Meaux, (fn. 5) which they took by assault; and during
the rest of his life he was continually exercising arms in that kingdom, where he died like a brave soldier, in his calling, being killed by
the French at Paris, as he endeavoured valiantly to defend that city,
in the year 1435; from whence he was brought and buried in St.
Mary's chapel, (fn. 6) in St. Peter and Paul's church at East-Herling,
under an altar tomb in the south wall, in which he founded a perpetual chantry, for his own and his ancestors' souls, Jane his wife being
buried with him. She brought him Lirling manor and advowson,
Rushworth manor, called Gonvile's, Fawconer's, and Maynwaryn's, all
which, with 100 acres in Moringthorp, were held at 3 fees, of John
Mowbray Duke of Norfolk, as of his manor of Forncet, and were settled on Oliver Groos, John Kirtling, clerk, and John Intwood, his
trustees. At his death,
Anne, his daughter and sole heiress, inherited, she lived to a great
age, and married three husbands. First,
Sir William Chamberlain of Gedding in Suffolk, Knight of the
Garter, a man of great renown, an able governor, and expert soldier,
for during his being governor of Craill upon Oise in France, which
in 1436 was besieged by the French, immediately after they had taken
Paris, he behaved himself so bravely, that with 500 Englishmen only,
he issued out of the town, discomfited his enemies, slew 200 of
them, and took a great number prisoners. (fn. 7) He and his wife, in
1457, settled nine marks annual rent, issuing out of Falconer's manor,
on the chantry priests that officiated in Sir Rob. Herling's chapel;
according to his will, he is buried in a fine arched monument, with
his wife, on the north side of this chancel, leaving much to Elizabeth
Trussell, his sister, by his will dated Mar. 3, 1461, and proved in this
church 21 April, 1462. Her second husband was
Sir Robert Wingfield, Knt. second son to Sir John Wingfield
of Letheringham in Suffolk, and Elizabeth Fitz-Lewes his wife; he
was Comptroller of the Household to King Edward IV. a man of
great interest at court; in 1474, the King granted him a charter for
a weekly market every Tuesday, at his manor of East-Herling, and
two fairs every year, to last three days each, viz. one on the vigil,
day, and morrow, of St. George the Martyr, and another on the vigil,
day, and morrow of St. Edward; (fn. 8) and the same year, he and Anne
his wife, settled the manors of East-Herling, Fawconer's, Quidenham,
Welham's, and Reyse's in Long-Stratton; Long-Stratton manor,
Bernham-Broom, Bekeriston, Stanford, the advowsons of Herling
and Quidenham, of Rushworth and Attleburgh colleges, and of Herling's chantry in Norfolk, of Gnateshall, Corton, Newton, Lownde,
and Blundeston, with Lownde advowson in Suffolk; the manors of
Newnham Mortimer's, Foxton and Gonvile's in Cambridgeshire, with
other large estates, on themselves and their trustees, Edward Bishop
of Carlisle, Sir John Wingfield, Sir John Heveningham, Sir Henry
Grey, Knts. Edmund Bokenham, Henry Spelman, William Berdwell,
junior, Thomas Chamberlain, and others, of all which, together with
Gonvile's manor in Wimondham, Little Bittering, and Rothyng-hall
in Brettenham, he died seized in 1480, after which she married to
John Lord Scroop of Bolton, her third husband, in 1492, who
died in 1494, and was buried in the Black Friars' church at Thetford,
according to his will, which ordered that he should be there buried,
if he died at Herling, as he did, July 12, in this year,
Anne his wife surviving him; she was a lady remarkable for her
gifts to many religious foundations; she gave Lirling manor and advowson, and Gonvile's in Rushworth, to that college, and obtained
them a license of mortmain to purchase 40 marks a year; she settled
the stipend of her father's chantry priest in this church, and founded
the seventh fellowship in Gonvile Hall, in the year 1502, being then
Lady Scroop; this she endowed with the manor of Newenham called
Mortimer's, in Cambridge, with the watermill there, all which she
gave for the maintenance of her fellow, who must be a priest, and of
Norwich diocese: his stipend at the foundation was 8l. a year. She
had a great value for this college, being daughter and heiress of Sir
Robert Herling, by Jane, daughter and heiress of John Gonvile, Esq.
descended in a direct line from Sir Nicholas Gonvile, Knt. brother to
the founder; she was born in 1426, and was alive in 1502; but having no issue, her estate went to
Margaret, her aunt, who married Sir Robert Tudenham, Knt. by
whom she had five children; Joan, a nun at Carrow; Margaret, a
nun at Shouldham; Thomas, who died an infant, and
Robert, who inherited, but died young and issueless, leaving
Margaret, his sister, his sole heiress, who married Sir Henry
Bedingfield of Oxburgh, who was made Knight of the Bath at the
coronation of Richard III. He sold Herling manors and advowson to
Sir Thomas Lovell, Knight of the Garter, and kept Quidenham,
from which time it continued in the Lovells till
Thomas Wright purchased it, and left it to
Mr. John Wright, his eldest son, who is now lord and patron.
The style of the court is Herling cum Membris, all the manors being
now joined. The fines are at the lord's will; the eldest son is heir.
The leet belongs to the hundred; the leet fee is 3s.; blanche-farm
10d.; castle-ward 14d.
The family of the Lovells being very numerous, and having been
possessed of Berton Bendish for many generations, before they settled
here, I shall treat of them at large under that town, and therefore
shall confine myself to that branch only that had this manor.
Lovell bears four coats quarterly,
1. Lovell, ar. a chevron az. between three squirrels seiant gul.
2. Bendish, sab. a cross between four lioncels rampant or.
3. Muswell, az. two chevrons ar. on each three cinquefoils gul.
4. Brandon, barry of eight, ar. and gul. a lion rampant or,
crowned per pale gul. and ar.
Crest, a bundle of peacock's feathers proper, tied gul. Motto:
vincit, qui patitur. (fn. 9)
Sir Thomas Lovell, Knight of the Garter, was an active man,
in King Henry the Seventh's time; in 1485, when he was an esquire
only, he was made Chancellor of the Exchequer for life, and the
same year had an annuity of 40 marks, as Esquire to the King's
body; in 1473, Henry Heydon, Esq. granted him an annuity of 20s.
out of his manor of Snoryng-Parva, called Dorketty's, for his good
counsel, that he had already, and should hereafter give him. He
was first made Bannerct, and in 1487, was knighted, at the battle of
Stoke, and afterwards installed Knight of the Garter; in 1502, he
was Treasurer of the Household, and President of the Council; he
was one of the executors to Henry the Seventh's will, Constable of
the Tower, Surveyor of the Court of Wards, Steward and Marshal of
the House to King Henry VIII; he built the Gate-house at Lincoln's
Inn, and placed on it the King's arms, the Earl of Lincoln's, and his
own, by which I imagine he had been of that society; he built EastHerling Hall, on the tower of which his arms still remain, and a
brass bust of his own likeness, surrounded with the garter. He refounded Halliwell nunnery, near which he had a stately house, and
dying at Enfield, May 25, 1524, was buried at Halliwell, in a fair
chapel which he had built, on the south side of the choir of that
church, under a tomb of white marble. This priory was dedicated to
St. John the Baptist, being situate in Shoreditch parish by Norton
Fald-gate, London, and being much decayed, was rebuilt, and an
addition made to its endowment, by him, which occasioned the following verses to be inscribed on a wall of that house:
All de Dunns of Dalimell,
Drap de bath Dap and night
For the Soul of Sir Ehomas Lobell,
Wham barry the Sebenth made knight.
By his will, dated Oct. 14, 1522, proved Sept. 26, 1528, (fn. 10) he gave
his manor-place at Enfield, called Elsings, (where he died,) to Tho.
Mannors, now Lord Rosse; and to his cousin, Francis Lovell, all his
manors and estates in East Herling, Bridgham, Gnateshall, Brunsell,
Chosell, Bichamwell, Ashfield's in Bichamwell, Irenhall, Wyrenhall,
Wrotton, Denver, Tirrington, Sporle and Pagrave, in Norfolk and
Suffolk; and Tyde St. Giles in Lincolnshire; Burghwell, Badlingham, Harston, and Upware in Cambridgeshire; his manors in Wolley
in Kent; his lands in Iseldon, Holwey, Edelineton, and Totenham in
Middlesex; his tenements in Sandwich, Querington and Marsham in
Kent; his manors of Dukelington, Cockthorp, and Fringeford in
Oxfordshire; lands in Redlings, Berford, and Dounton in Wiltshire,
to hold to the said Francis for life, remainder to Sir Thomas Lovell,
son of Sir Francis, &c.; after Francis's death, the manors of Lome
and Sibell's in Willingham, and Well's in West-Wyckham in Cambridgeshire, to go to the said Thomas, son of Sir Francis, for life, and
to his heirs in tail: Edward, the brother of Francis, to have the
moiety of Bassingbourne castle in Cambridgeshire for life, remainder
to Francis and his heirs. His lady is buried in Enfield chancel, on
the north side, under an altar tomb, with an inscription in brass, and
Lovell and Muswell's arms quartered impaling Roos. He left
Sir Francis Lovell his heir, who died Jan. 21, 1550; (fn. 11) Thomas,
his son, being of age, inherited this manor and advowson, Rowdham
manor, and the impropriate rectory, with the donation of the vicarage,
and all the possessions that Sir Thomas, Knight of the Garter, gave
to his father.
Gregory Lovell, Esq. was of that disposition, that he did all
he could to ruin the estate, being too malicious against his half brother; and in order thereto, he let the manor-house almost down; and
when he perceived his death grew near, married his servant, on purpose to keep his brother out of it for her life; he having liberty to
jointure by the entail. He gave a personal estate of above 6000l. to
see his will performed, to Sir John Buckworth, and Mr. Borret of
Griston, his executors, from whom John Lovell, Esq. met with more
kindness and generosity than from his brother, they being so just as
to deliver up all the evidences, and whatever belonged to the estate,
to him, without any disturbance, notwithstanding which, he was
forced to sell it, having prevailed upon his son, the present 
Mr. Lovell of Bokenham, (as I am informed,) to join with him in the
Paganus, or Pain, rector of East-Herling.
William de Aldeberg, rector.
1283, Master Elias de Aliuue Cherche, rector.
1289, Will. de la Menewaryn, rector. (fn. 12)
1332, prid. id. Oct. William, son of Roger Bygot of Felbrigg, subdeacon. Simon Byoot of Felbrigge, this turn. In 1347, this William, called then William de Felbrigge, was both rector and patron
by his brother's gift.
1349, 17 July, Sir John Gonvile, priest. John de Herling.
1357, 23 Sept. Hugh Pain, on Gonvile's resignation. Ditto.
1373, 16 Octob. Sir John Herling, Knt. recovered the advowson
upon the King's writ, against Sir Roger de Hales, Knt.
1374, 15 Nov. Richard Hunte, shaveling, with whom Hulton
changed for the prebend of Heinbury in Salso Marisco, (or Saltmarsh,)
in Worcester diocese. Ditto.
1374, 27 Nov. at Eccles. Reginald de Hulton, shaveling. John
1393, 10 Sept. John Peyte, (or Poit,) priest. Stephen de Hales,
Knt. this turn.
1414, Robert de Estgate, rector. (fn. 13)
1430, 7 Febr. Edmund Coupere, priest. (Master of Rushworth
college) Sir William Berdewelle, Knt. John Fitz-Rauf, Esq.
Oliver Groos, Esq. John Kirteling, clerk, Robert Palgrave, and John Intewood, Sir Rob. Herling's feoffees, in the
manor and advowson. John Duke of Norfolk claimed a right, but
did not proceed in it.
1448, 18 Oct. Laurence Gerard, priest, (fn. 14) on Couper's death. Sir
John Fastolf, Knt. Sir Robert's feoffee.
1474, John Aylward, on Gerrard's death, he resigned Litcham for
this. Rob. Wingfield, and Anne his wife.
1503, 15 Nov. Will. Borrosse, on Elwarde's death. Sir Tho.
1530, 23 July, Ralph Sparke, A.M. on Borrowe's death. Sir
Francis Lovell, Knt.
1558, 26 March, Tho. Moore, priest, on Spark's death. Sir Tho.
1568, 1 April, James Love, clerk. Tho. Moore deprived. Tho.
Pigeon, Gent. by grant from Sir Tho. Lovell.
1579, 16 Sept. Tho. Chapman, on Love's death. Tho. Lovell, Esq.
1595, 10 July, Henry Rewse, S.T.B. on Chapman's death. Tho.
Lovell, Esq. he was a preacher licensed by the University of Cambridge, and held Great Fakenham in Blackbourne deanery, Suffolk,
1631, 10 Oct. Will. Rewse, A. M. on Henry Rewse's death. Tho.
Stoughton, clerk, for this turn.
1665, 3 May, Will. Denny, on Will. Rewse's death. Glover
Denny of Raningham, Gent. this turn, by grant of Andrew Knivet,
Knt. and Bart. and Alice his wife, and Gregory Lovell, Esq. of
Herling, true patrons.
1678, 31 Decem. Theophilus Williams, A. M. on Denny's resignation. Gregory Lovell, Esq.
1716, 9 June, Mathew Goodrich, clerk, on Williams's death. Tho.
Wright, Esq. who died Tuesday evening, Dec. 30, 1735, and is
1719, 24 July, Tho. Macro, on Goodrich's cession. Ditto.
1720, 19 Dec. The Rev. Robert Wright, A.B. the present 
rector, on Macro's resignation. Ditto. He is D.D. rector of Gnateshall in Suffolk, and of the sinecure rectory of Hackney, and prebendary in the church of Litchfield.
This rectory is in Rockland deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry; it
hath a rectory-house and several acres of glebe.
|King's Books.||Yearly Tenths.||Linc. Taxa.|
The Church is dedicated to St. Peter and Paul, and is a fine
uniform building, having its nave, two isles, and south porch leaded,
a square tower, with a spire thereon, and freestone ballisters instead
of battlements; it was built by Sir William Chamberlain, as appears
from the many blank shields, encompassed with the garter, cut on the
stones, finished about 1449, but the bells were not put up till 1465.
The greatest part of church, if not the whole, was rebuilt by that
knight, the windows (as the arms and effigies in them discover) were
finished by Sir Robert Wingfield, who married his widow, whose
effigies, with that of his wife, still remain in this manner.
At the east end of the south isle is a chapel dedicated to the Virgin
Mary, called Herling's chapel, it being the burial place of that
family; Sir Robert Herling, Knt. (who rebuilt it) lies under an altar
tomb in an arch in the south wall; he founded a chantry of one
priest in this chapel, who was specially bound daily to pray for his
and his wife Jane's souls, for the souls of Sir William Chamberlain,
Knt. and Anne his wife, daughter and heiress of the said Robert, for
John Herlyng and Cecily his wife, Robert's father and mother, and
for John Herling his grandfather (all buried here:) in 1458, it was
endowed by Sir Will. Chamberlain, and Anne his wife, with 9 marks
annual rent, issuing out of Fawconer's manor, then worth 20 marks a
year, according to Sir Robert's will, he ordered that if he died without heirs, then his manors of East Herling, Quidenham, with their
advowsons, Bokenham Wood, and Gnateshall manor, should be
settled for three chantry priests in this chapel; but if he left a daughter, then she was only obliged to settle a provision for one priest. It
was not rated to any taxes whatever, but had institution in the same
manner as the rectory.
1458, 20 Nov. John Cavendysh, chaplain, the first chantry priest,
was instituted at their presentation.
1474, 30 March, Robert Candyman priest. Sir Rob. Wingfield,
and Anne his wife.
The preamble to the King's license, which he granted to amortise
the said rent, is very particular, for it says, that his Majesty granted
this license to his faithful counsellor, Sir Wm. Chamberlain, Knt.
without any fine or fee, in consideration of the great and eminent service he had done him in his kingdom of France, and dutchy of
Normandy, in the war there, and in other places; and particularly
for the great damage he and his family received, by paying his fine
of redemption to the King's enemies of France, (who took him prisoner in 1446,) and also for the great value he had for Sir Robert
Herling, the founder, who died in his service as he warred in
This Sir Robert Herling ordered in his
will, (fn. 15) if he died in England, to be buried
here, and so he was, though he died in the
French wars at Paris; his effigies, with
that of his wife, beautifully carved in marble, lie on the top of the altar tomb; on
his breast are his own arms and those of
Mortimer, his mother; he looks with a
grim visage, his feet rest on a lion, the
usual emblem of those that died in war;
his lady hath a water-bouget on her breast,
the whole tomb being adorned with unicorns and pelicans, the one the crest of
Herling, the other of Gonvile; his arms are on the top, supported
by two unicorns.
They are often on the screens of the chantry, and sometimes with
On the table that they lie on is a fillet of brass, which still remains
very perfect, on which is this:
Saro Marmoreo tumulatur in hoc Doliandro,
harlyng Robertus Miles, bir nobilis armis,
Taus sua Francigenis, florebat cognita multis,
Tandem Parisibus bi sucubuit mutilatus,
T. quater et Mille, rrrb, cadit ille,
Borgonii Festo, Septembre die quoque nono (fn. 16) .
On the same side of this chapel is a stately tomb of different-coloured marble, encompassed with an iron grate; the statues of a man
in armour, with a peacock's tail proper at his feet, and of a woman
with two naked arms, holding a head erased, bearded and haired sab.
lie on an altar tomb, under a canopy or bed of state, with this
Here lyeth buryed Sir Thomas Lovell, Knt. Son and Heir of
Sir Thomas Lovell, Knt. and Dame Alice his Wife, Daughter of
Sir John Huddilston, Knt. he died the 12th Day of Dec: 1604,
in the Year of his Age 64, and she dyed the 1st Daye of September 1600, in the Yeare of her Age 64; they had Issue 5 Sons
and 3 Daughters, whereof 2 Sonns and one Daughter dyed in
their Infancy, 3 Sonns, viz. Sir Francis Lovell, Knt. Charles
Lovell, and William Lovell, Esqrs. over-lived them, and 2
Daughters were married in their Life-time, viz. Katheryn, first to
Sir Tho: Knevet of Bukenham-Castle, Knt. 2dly, to Edward
Spring, and 3dly, to Edward Downes, Esqrs. and Elinor to Edward Waldegrave, Son and Heire apparant of Charles Waldegrave of Stanning-Hall, Esq. (fn. 17)
On the top,
Olim qui Cubuit, jacet hic cum Conjuge Conjux
Hic Illa dubium est, hoc sit an illa Prior,
Sive Illa, sive hoc, (si demas hunc modo et illam)
Haud Prior (indubium est) alt'ra vel alter erat,
Atria dum titulis proavitis splendida Uterque,
Et Longâ serie stemmata nexa tulit,
Largus opum, nec decoctor, plebi Hospitus, almus
Pauperi, uterque homini carus, uterque Deo,
Ille animi Prudens, et Magnus, Doctus, et Artem
Quamve Sacer Codex, Quamve profanus habet,
Jura Tori rité hæc coluit, pia, provida Virgo,
Virgo pudica, Pudens, Virgo probata, proba,
Cum jam Prole beati Essent, prolemque beassent,
Qua Locupletando, qua poliendo suam,
Octavo hoc Lustro dirimit mors, dividit Urna,
Jungit at hos Tumulus, Jungit et hosce polus.
At the head is Hudleston's arms, and at the feet Lovell's.
At the top Lovell's arms and quarterings, mantle and crest.
On the side three escutcheons,
1. Lovell and his quarterings, as before.
2. Lovell and his quarterings, impaling Hudleston and his
1. Hudleston, gul. frette ar. with a crescent.
2. Knelvet with a mullet sab
3. Nevill, with a label of three, gobone, ar. and az.
5. Monthermer, or, an eagle displayed vert.
6. Holland Earl of Kent. England in a bordure ar.
7. Tiptoft, ar. a cross ingrailed gul.
8 Inglethorp, gul. a cross ingrailed ar.
9. Bradeston, ar. on a canton gul. a rose or.
10. Charleton, or, a lion rampant gul. Lord Powis.
11. Delapole with an annulet.
12. Az. on a fess indented three bezants.
3. Hudleston and his quarterings as before.
The following arms were formerly (and many of them now are) in
the south windows of the nave.
In a south window were the portraitures of a man in armour kneeling, in long gray hair, having on his surcoat the arms of Chamberlain,
with a label; and opposite to him a woman kneeling; between them
were these arms:
1. Chamberlain, gul. a chevron between three escallops or,
with a label of three points, the escallops are sometimes ar.
2. Legatt, (as Mr. Leverland,) ar. a saltire ingrailed az. quartered.
Chamberlain impales Legat.
A quartered coat all lost, but sab. an inescutcheon in an orle of
Herling and Mortimer of Attleburgh quartered.
Tudenham, lozenge ar. and gul. quartering Herling. Gonvile single.
Herling impaling Hemgrave, ar. a chief indented gul.
Bedingfield and Herling quartered.
Mortimer quartering Giffard, gul. three lions passant gardant,
Charleton Lord Powes.
Wingfield quartering Bovile.
Scroop quartering Tiptoft.
Chamberlain quartering Fitz-Raffe, or, three chevrons gul.
on each five de-lises ar.
Fitz-Raffe quartering - - - - - Gul. two bendlets ar.
Coniers az. a maunch or, quartering Fitz-Raffe.
In a high east window of the nave,
Tiptoft, and - - - - - Az. a bend or.
On the north windows of the nave,
Windham, az. a chevron between three lions heads erased or,
Legat impaling Warren. Erpingham.
Bolleyn ar. a chevron gul. between three bulls heads cooped sab.
quartering Butler, or, a chief indented az.
Heydon, quarterly ar. and gul. a cross ingrailed counterchanged,
Calthorp impaling Stapleton.
Hevenyngham impaling Darcy.
Wingfield quartering Doreward and Bovile.
Wingfield impaling Fitz-Lewis, Brandon, Glanvile, and
Jenny impales Wingfield, and so does Echingham and
Framlingham. Delapole quarters Wingfield, who quarters
ar. seven torteaux, 2, 2, 2, 1.
A man having Mortimer quartering Herling,
A woman, Gonvile, ar. on a chevron between two couple-closes
outwardly ingrailed sab. three escalops or. Sir Robert Herling
and Jane Gonvile his wife.
In the south isle windows,
Scroop, az. a bend or.
Tiptoft, quartered: their effigies.
Effigies of a Fitz-Williams and his wife, who was a Herling.
In the windows of Herling's chapel.
Sir Robert Herling, and Jane his wife, Sir Will. Chamberlain, and
Anne his wife, with their arms on their surcoats, in the east window,
over the altar, and this,
Orate pro Animabus, Wilitis: Ehamberlayn, Wilitis, et Anne uroris eius et
Roberti Rarlyng, Militis, et Jobanne uroris
The screens between the church and chancel are finely carved and
painted, being put up by Sir Robert Harlyng, whose arms and crest
are often carved thereon.
The chancel is leaded, having two chapels joined to the north side;
that most east, is dedicated to the blessed name of Jesus, the other
to St. Anne; they are both leaded.
On the south side of the chancel wall, towards the east end, is a
stone mural monument, on which Lovell, and Muswell joined per fess
impale Paris, gul. three unicorns heads cooped proper, in a bordure
ingrailed. Lovell's crest.
Here lieth buried Syr Thomas Lovel Knyght, and Dame Elizabeth his Wyfe whiche lived together in Godly Mariage 29
Yeares, and hadde Yssue, 9 Sonnes and 6 Daughters, the sayd
Sir Thomas decessed in the Year of our Lord God 1567, the 23
of March, and Dame Elizabeth decessed in the Yeare of our
Lord God, 1591, the last of Marche.
Pray God to joy their Soules together in Heaven.
Opposite, on the north side, another monument of the same kind,
but no inscription:
Lovell and Muswell impaling Ashfield of Middlesex, az. a chevron
or between three eagles displayed with two heads, ar. Lovell's
The arms shew it was erected for Sir Francis Lovell, and Anne
Ashfield his wife; he died Jan. 25, 1550. This is against Jesus
chapel, which is now  a school-house.
More west, in the north wall, is a most stately arched monument,
disrobed of its brasses, under which lie buried Sir William Chamberlain, Knight of the Garter, and Anne his wife, daughter and heiress
of Sir Robert Harlyng; this divides the chancel from St. Anne's
chapel, which was founded by his lady, and dedicated to her namesake: the tomb fronts both into the chancel and into the chapel, the
chancel side being adorned with his arms, &c. and the chapel's side
with her's; in the arch is carved Chamberlain's arms quartering
Tiptoft, which is again cut on the side of' the monument next the
chancel, with mantle, crest, and supporters. Crest, a cameleopard's
head cooped. The supporters two beasts of the same kind.
On the chapel's side, Herling and Mortimer quartered, with an
escutcheon of pretence of Gonvile and Herling. Crest and supporters.
Anne Lady Scroop of Bolton, by will dated 1498, Aug. 28, bequeathed her body to be buried in the chapel of St. Anne, adjoining
to the chancel of St. Peter and Paul, at East-Herling, in the tomb
of her late husband, Sir William Chamberlayn; (fn. 18) she gave to the
Austin friars at Thetford, where her great-grandame, Margaret Tuddenham, daughter of Sir Thomas Jenny, was buried, together with
dame Isabel Hargrave, her daughter, a vestment, and other gifts, to
Robert Wingfield her nephew, Lord Scroop, her son, &c.
From a manuscript of Henry St. George, Garter King at Arms, I
find a part of the inscription that was on this monument, and this
remark made by Mr. Le Neve:
That here were their two effigies, and that the garter was on his
left leg; and though Mr. Ashmole says, that Fitz-William's tomb was
the oldest, that had it so placed, yet this is older. (fn. 19)
Marling Licite Dominus marite,
Anna fuit Dicta, Ebristi mulier benedicta,
Mundi diserti fuite Rarling nata Roberti,
Militis digna, Mortimer de Stirpe benigna.
E. quater er Mille Seraginta et tres cadit ille,
Derpetuo festo, Deus illius memor esto.
Many of the memorials which were in this church are now lost;
one account of them was taken by the Rev. Mr. Leverland, rector of
Framlingham castle, in Suffolk, (a copy of whose MSS. I have by
me,) and others by different persons, as Mr. Borret of Griston, Henry
St. George, &c.
In this church is buried Elizabeth Trussell, sister to Sir William
Chamberlain, who died the last of April, 1472; (fn. 20) but the four shields
and inscription were lost before these accounts were taken.
Charles Wright, Esq. lately glazed the east chancel window
with ancient glass that he found in his house, which formerly came
out of this window, and contains the principal passages of the New
Testament, from our Saviour's incarnation to his crucifixion.
The effigies of Sir Robert Wyngfield and his wife are now placed
in this window.
In 1479, Robert Smith was buried in the church, in which there
were then four gilds kept, viz. of the Holy Trinity, St. Peter, AllSaints, and St. John Baptist. The lights of St. Mary and St. Sithe
were sustained by the benefactions of different people, as I find by
the wills in the Bishop's Office.
In 1511, the Gildhall Croft belonged to the inhabitants. (fn. 21)
In 1528, The Gildhall in the Hey-Town street, belonged to the
gilds, and was given by John Dowe of Diss, son and heir of John
Dowe, late of East-Herling, anno 1487.
In 1528, the son and heir of Thomas Gonne of this parish gave to
St. John's gild 2 acres of land at Kithesend in Herling.
In 1536, the church-wardens and inhabitants sold to Francis Lovell,
Knt. and his heirs, 21 acres and 1 rood ploughed ground of their
town land, lying in East-Herling; and he,
In 1538, granted 32 acres and an half to the inhabitants, to be
town land for ever.
In 1548, Roger Moore, executor of William Deye, at the request
of Adam Deye, gave half an acre, at the end of John Deye's croft, to
In King James the First's time, John Hawkins and other feoffees
made a new feoffment of the town land to Thomas Porter and others,
there being then 60 acres, besides a pightle called Wastell's.
These lands were given to repair and adorn the church.
The temporals of the Prior of Bokenham in this town were taxed
at 2s. 4d.
In 1510, Rob. Banham, purchased of Will. Banham, a messuage
and 6 acres of free land in East-Herlinge, held of East-Herling
manor by 8d. a year, to find a wax candle burning before the image
of the Virgin Mary in that church. In 1470, at a court then held, it
is said, that John Robards died seized of it, and that John, his son
and heir, was a scholar in orders; that formerly it was copyhold, but
was now held free of the church, the lord's ancestors having perpetually pardoned the fine and rents, in honour of the Blessed
Virgin. This year it was conveyed to John Aylward, rector, and
other feoffees of the parish.
These arms were formerly in Harling Hall windows:
Lovell impaling Bendish, Muswell, Rosse or Roos, Woodhouse, Dethick, Huddlestone, Pakenham, Ashfield, Brandon, and Harling.
Thomburgh, erm. frettee, a chevron gul.
Colton, sab. a chevron between three griffins heads erased ar.
Vaux, chequy ar. and gul. on a chevron az. three roses or.
Chamberlain and Legate; Mortimer and Gonvile.
The badges of the red and white rose, of the pomegranate, of a
lizard gul. his tongue or. Henry the Eighth's arms impaling
Castile, Leon, and Granada.
Mr. John Wright bears, sab. on a chief or, three spears heads
az. a chevron between three de-lises ar.
Stephen de Gissing and Lucy Manewaryn his wife, for 26s. in hand
paid, by deed dated on St. Dunstan's day, in 1283, (fn. 22) released to Simon
Manewaryn and his heirs, all manner of actions that they might bring
against him, for not building her houses in Herling, that she was to
have had built for her, in lieu of part of her dower; and they bound
themselves, their heirs, and executors, in 60s. penalty, that no such
action should be brought, and subjected themselves to the Bishop of
Norwich, or his Official, in this case, who should excommunicate
them if the penalty was not paid; further obliging themselves to pay
100s. towards the relief of the Holy-Land, if ever any such action
was brought; and to confirm it, they promised it before Sir Will. de
Crungethorp, Knt. Master Elias Aliuue Cherche, rector of East-Herling, Sir Geffry de Gerbaudesham, chaplain, and others. I could not
omit taking notice of this deed, the penalties being remarkable.
The market is on Tuesdays and not on Thursdays, as the Atlas, and
the late Description of the Diocese of Norwich (which is chiefly a
transcript from thence) tell you, though it is right, as to its being
chiefly for linen yarn, and cloth, the manufacture of this part of the
This town, in 1603, had 223 communicants, and now  there
are about 400 inhabitants. It paid 6l. 6s. 8d. tenths, and is now assessed at 638l. 11s. 8d. to the land tax.