Rokelunt, Rochelunt, or [roc-land], as it is now called, signifies the
hilly land, which answers very well to the situation of these parishes,
as well as the other Rockland in Hensted hundred, which is situate
on the declivity of a hill, joining to a large marsh, through which
the Waveny passes, in its course to Yarmouth. That this place was
of special note in early times, is evident from its being the residence
of the deans of so large a deanery as this, having no less than three
parishes in its own bounds, besides thirty other rectors and vicars
under its jurisdiction, it containing all the parishes in Giltcross and
Shropham hundred; the parishes here are called St. Andrew's, AllSaints, and St. Peter's, the two first of which were lately consolidated,
the church of St. Andrew falling into decay, and standing not above
a furlong eastward from All-Saints, was suffered to dilapidate; the
tower is square, and is still standing, its three bells being stolen out of
it some years since, were never heard of. This town is called, to distinguish it from the other Rockland, Rockland-Tofts, and St. Andrew's
parish, is often named in evidences, about Edward the Third's time,
Toft, without any other addition. Here is a meeting of people on Midsummer Day, in a nature of a small country fair, which they call the
Gild, the remains, without all doubt, of the gild of St. John Baptist,
which was held in St. Peter's church before the Reformation. The
parishes of All-Saints and St. Andrew's are assessed together at 518l.
15s. to the land tax, as in Shropham hundred, and the parish of St.
Peter by itself at 230l. as in Wayland hundred, though I do not find
it ever said to be in that hundred, till about 90 years since, at which
time it was laid to Wayland, and the constables and surveyors are the
same with Little Ellingham, their presentments running, EllinghamParva, cum Rockland-Tofts St. Peter. The whole was taxed together
in Shropham hundred to the tenths, to which it paid 4l. 3s. 4d.; there
are now about 300 inhabitants.
This and all the other deaneries were in the Bishop's collation, and
had peculiar seals appropriated to them, several of which I have seen,
but never met with that of this deanery; the deans here follow in their
Deans of Rockland.
Peter the dean.
1315, 6 kal. April, Robert de Stokeneyland, accolite; he was rector
of a mediety in Denevere.
1338, 24 Sept. John de North-Kellesey, accolite, he resigned in
1341, 15 March, and Peter de Normandeby, accolite, succeeded.
1345, 20 Febr. Adam de Sudbury, priest.
1348, 22 Dec. Lawrence de Littelton, shaveling, who was afterwards
rector of Great Massingham.
1350, 19 Sept. John de Breydeston, at Littelton's resignation.
1350, 7 Nov. Breydeston resigned, and Anthony de Goldesburgh,
a shaveling, had it.
1410, 26 July, William Oxenford, clerk.
1456, 5 Aug. John Pyers.
1475, 8 June, John Ap Howel.
1498, 10 Jan. Robert Gasele.
Toft, or Rockland St. Andrew's rectory, was valued in the King's
Books at 5l. 14s. 4d. (fn. 1) and is called Rockland Major in many evidences;
it paid 2s. synodals, and 6s. 8d. procurations. The canons of Thetford
had temporal rents here, taxed at 20s. ob. and the prior of Bukenham's temporals were taxed at 4s. 10.
1310, 15 kal. Febr. Robert Carbonel, priest. Henry Carbonel
of Rokelound, and Katherine his wife.
1317, prid. non. Feb. John, son of John Bule of Brecles, accolite.
1324, kal. July Alan de Hecham, priest. Ditto.
1342, 18 Dec. Will. Dune, accolite. Katherine, relict of Henry
Carbonel of Rockland Toftys.
1349, 29 Oct. John Le-Veylde of Bodney, priest. Maud, daughter
of Henry Carbonel.
1365, Jeffery Cantel, priest. Richard Holdych.
1375, 27 Nov. Richard Perpoynt of Saham, priest. Ditto.
1392, 10 June, William Taillour of Northwold, priest, on Perpoynt's
death. Thomas Holdych. He had All-Saints.
1418, 6 Aug. Robert Oldman of this parish, priest. Tho. son of
1432, 23 March, Nicholas Medewe, priest. Thomas Holdych, Esq.
1435, 16 Dec. Walter Goose, priest. Ditto.
1441, 5 Oct. Will. Orlyons, priest. Ditto.
1462, 2 Oct. Robert Hill, on Orlyons' death. Richard Holdych,
1466, 6 Oct. John Hyseham. Ditto.
1502, 21 June, John Marshall on Hardefyshe's death. - - - Southwell, Esq.
1502, 12 Nov. Henry Stroder, united to All-Saints.
1512, 25 July, James Brereley. Lapse.
1540, 9 Aug. Richard Clegg, chaplain, on Brerely's death, united
to Brecles Vic. Edmund Chaumberleyn.
1554, 8 May, Will. Wylde, priest, at Clegg's deprivation. (fn. 2) Robert
Holdych, of Ranworth, Esq.
1557, 4 Jan. Edmund Bidsonne, or Bilsonne, on Wylde's resignation. Sir Ralph Chaumberleyn, Knt. united to All-Saints.
1559, 6 June, Will. Tugney, on Bidsonne's death. Richard
1575, 15 June, Tho. Atkinson. John Holdich, Esq. united to
Breccles, which Richard Clegg, who was deprived of this, held till
1573, at whose death Atkinson was instituted.
1639, 14 Sept. Tho. Watts, A. M. on Harding's death. Sir Rich.
1661, 11 Nov. Tho. Essex, A. M. on Watts's death. Ditto. It
was afterwards held by Mr. Grey, rector of All-Saints, by sequestration, to which it was consolidated by the present incumbent.
Rockland All-Saints rectory was valued in the King's Books at
5l. 6s. 8d. and sworn, together with St. Andrew's, of the clear yearly
value of 44l. so that it is capable of augmentation; it paid 12d. synodals,
and the Prior of Castle-Acre had a portion of tithes, which was taxed
at x.s. and was given with their portion in Rockland St. Peter. This
parish is sometimes called Rockland Minor, or, the Lesser Rockland,
in opposition to St. Andrew's parish, which is called Rockland Major,
or, the Greater Rockland.
1305, John de Lenton, presented by Sir John Le Moyne, Knt.
1306, 5 kal. July, Andrew Reyner, priest. Ditto.
Robert, son of John of Luttone, deacon.
1334, 5 id. Nov. Richard de Hastyngs, accolite, on Luttone's resignation. Sir John de Brokesbourne, Knt.
1341, 6 March, John Pach, accolite. Sir John de Brokesbourne, Knt. who recovered it against John de Caston, by the King's
1358, 26 Dec. Robert, son of Adam de Totyngton, priest, on Pach's
resignation. John de Sutton of Wyvenho, Knt. patron, in right
of his wife.
1377, 26 Dec. Robert Geffrey, priest. Edmund, son of Edmund
de Brokesbourn, Knt.
1392, 10 June, Will. Taillour of Northwold, priest. Tho. Holdych. He had St. Andrew's.
1393, 29 Dec. John Rede. Sir Richard Sutton, Sir Peter de
Bukton, Knts. Tho. de Leghes, Rob. Rykedon, Rob. Houtot,
Tho. Okle, and John Sumpter, junior.
1394, 12 June, John Alman, priest. Ditto.
1398, 14 Nov. Ralph atte Heythe of Gunton, priest, on Alman's
resignation. Sir Wil. Burgate, Knt. Tho. Coggeshale, Rob.
Hotost, Rob Rykedon, Ralph Chaumberlyn, John Sumpter, and John Esthorp.
1400, 23 Oct. Richard Hardesele, priest. Ditto.
1439, 27 Nov. Will. Marleburgh, priest, on Hardesele's resignation.
John Fitz-Rauf, Esq. in right of his manor called Le Moynes.
1448, 29 Jan. John Lalle, priest, on Marleburgh's resignation.
Sir Thomas Tuddenham, Knt. and Rob. Mortimer, Esq.
1485, 5 Oct. Diomse Shanys, by lapse.
1502, 12 Nov. Henry Stroder, priest. Sir Roger Ormston,
united to St. Andrew.
1511, 11 April, Robert Cudworth. Elizabeth, late wife of Robert Chaumberleyn. Esq.
1512, 17 Aug. Robert Coppull, united to St. Peter.
1556, 9 Febr. Edmund Bilsone, priest, on Cople's death. Ralph
1563, 21 July, John Holden, by lapse, united to Great Elingham.
1601, 18 Dec. John Peeke. John Welde of London, Esq.
1663, 26 Nov. Tho. Morley, A. B. Richard Berney, Bart.
1679, Samuel Grey, A.B. on Morley's death. Richard Berney,
Esq. united to Caston by Stow.
1710, 23 Aug. The Rev. Mr. John Watson, the present rector, on
the deprivation of Samuel Grey, to the consolidated rectory of St.
Andrew and All-Saints. Anne Martell, widow.
This Church hath a square tower, and 3 bells; the nave, south
porch, and chancel are thatched; there is no inscription in it, save
one on a modern stone, for one Mr. Salter. In 1506, Robert Moriel
of this town was buried here, who by will gave half an acre and half
a rood, at Weston (Market) in Suffolk, to that church, on condition
the rector paid 3s. 4d. to the rector of Hindercley, and 3s. 4d. to the
rector of Counston, to pray for his soul, and four cows, the profits of
which were to be expended in keeping his anniversary. (fn. 3)
Rockland St. Peter's rectory was valued at 4l. 16s. 5d. ob. in the
King's Books, and being sworn of the clear yearly value of 29l. 18s. 8d.
is capable of augmentation; it pays 12d. synodals. The Prior of
Castle-Acre had a portion of tithes taxed at two marks, and other
temporals, taxed at 20s. all which were given by John de Kitestune's
or Caston's father, and confirmed by himself, namely, two tithe
sheaves out of three, of all his demeans in Rockland, and the third
tithe sheaf, of his demeans in Sipedam, or Shipdam, and above 14
acres of land in Rockland. (fn. 4)
Rectors And Vicars.
Oliver de Redham.
1326, 6 kal. Nov. Simon de Bosco, de Saham, (or Simon of Saham
wood) on Redham's resignation. Oliver de Redham, for this turn.
1349, 24 Nov. The church of St. Peter at Rokelund Toftes, belonging now to the Abbess of Marham, was appropriated to that
house by the consent and approbation of the Pope and the Bishop, (fn. 5)
on condition, that the Bishop or his successours, at the churches
vacancy, should ordain a vicarage, for which the vicar should be
taxed at 6 marks, the vicars being always to be nominated by the
Bishop, to the Abbess, who was obliged to present them, and also to
pay a pension of half a mark a year to the Bishop, in lieu of the
portion of his first fruits, for the great tithes, which ceased upon the
appropriation; the vicar was to have a house, and to be endowed to
the value of 12 marks per annum, at least, and the Abbess was taxed
at eight marks for the rectory.
1367, 17 March, Henry Moyse of Redgrave.
1373, 22 Nov. John Cantel.
1414, 13 July, Richard Bangot of Mileham, priest.
1417, 28 Jan. Tho. Wyck, priest, on Bangot's resignation.
1453, John Osmund, priest.
1460, 24 Aug. Sir John Bourne, chaplain.
1486, 22 Dec. John Jannis, on Bourne's resignation.
1501, 20 June, Sir Peter Wylkins, chaplain, on Jannys's death.
These were nominated by the Bishop, presented by the Abbess.
1516, 29 March, Robert Coppull, on Wylkins's death, united to
All-Saints, at whose institution it was disappropriated, for the Abbess
presented him as rector; and in
1523, 20 May, Barbara, Abbess of St. Mary at Marham, granted
the next turn of her rectory of St. Peter's church of Rokelond, to
John Tendale, Esq.; and the 18 Aug. in the same year, Robert
Coppul, rector of St. Peter's and All-Saints, was domestick chaplain
to Henry Bishop of St. Asaph.
1556, 13 Febr. Will. Harrison. John Hare of London, (fn. 6) Gent.
united to Stow-Bedon.
1581, 17 April. Leonard James, (fn. 7) on Harrison's death. Nich.
Hare, Esq. united to Stow-Bedon.
1608, 13 Jan. John Lowthwat, A. M. Sarah James, widow, this
turn, united to Stow-Bedon.
Robert Pooley, (fn. 8)
1690, 5 Dec. Henry Pitts, clerk, on Robert Pooley's death. Tho.
Hare, Bart. in full right, united to Hargham.
1694, Zachary Pooley, on Pitt's resignation. Frances Pooley,
widow, in full right.
1703, 1 July, George Taylor, on Zachary Pooley's death, united to
Wimondham. Rob. Pooley and Sarah Potts.
1737, The Rev. Mr. Edward Heyho, on Taylor's death, who is
now rector and patron, having purchased the advowson of the Pooleys.
The Church of St. Peter, which is the deanery church, hath
nothing remarkable in it: the north porch was built about 1619, as a
broken inscription informs us. The tower is octangular, and hath
three bells in it; the chancel is ruinated, a small part of which
was rebuilt by the late rector, to officiate in.
There is a pension of 2s. per annum paid by the rector of St. Peter's
to the Duke of Norfolk, it being a perpetual composition for a measure of wheat, which Robert de Rokelund gave to the monks of Thetford out of his lands here. (Dug. Mon. Ang. tom. i. fol. 665.)
There is also a pension of 4s. per annum paid to the Duke from the
rectory of All-Saints, and another of 2s. from the rectory of St.
Andrew, both being perpetual compositions for the Prior of CastleAcre's portions of tithes in those parishes. (See p. 475, 476.) There
is also a rent of 15s. a year paid to the Duke, from the manor of
There are now only three distinct manors in this town, called
Carbonel's, Ladie's, Kirkehall Moynes and Gournay's; though there
were formerly no less then seven, before they were united.
With the advowson of St. Andrew's, belonged to Brode, in the Confessor's time, and to William Earl Warren in the Conqueror's, of
whom Simon held it, the whole town being then above two miles
long, and one broad, paid 11d. geld. (fn. 9) In 1194, Walkelin de Rosey
gave 20s. to King Richard I. to have seizin of 12s. 7d. rent, of
the service of Hervy Gorge, in such manner as Baldwin de Rosey had,
when he began his journey to Jerusalem, where he died: this Baldwin was lord here, and cotemporary, if not brother, to Roger de
Rossei, or de Rosseto, lord of Rose's manor in South-Creke In 1218,
another Baldwin de Rosseto held it of the Earl Warren at one fee; in
1234, Robert Carbonel was lord; from about 1310 to about 1340
Henry Carbonel and Catherine his wife, had it, who held it after her
husband's death to her own, which was before 1399, for then Maud,
their daughter presented; it soon after divided, and one part, with
the advowson, came to the Holdiches, who presented till 1571, and
afterwards sold it to Sir Ralph Chaumberleyn, Knt. reserving two or
three turns to the family; the other part went to William de Narburgh,
whose daughter Ela married Tho. Shuldham, and had a son by him
of his father's name, but he did not inherit, the manor being given by
his mother to Henry Spelman, her second husband, and his heirs, and
William Spelman, their son, inherited; in 1488, Henry Spelman died
seized, and left it to Edmund Paston, Esq. to perform his will, at
which time it was held of the Earl Warren, at the fourth part of a fee,
in 1606, Francis Spelman, Esq. was lord of Carbonell's in Rockland,
in which family it hath continued to this time, it being now owned
by Mrs. Elizabeth Spelman of London. The leet (fee 3s. 4d.) belongs
to the hundred; the fine is at the lord's will, and the eldest son is heir.
Kirkehall Moynes and Gurney's,
Were distinct manors at first, though they have been long united;
the first was held by Eudo the Sewer, of whom Richard held it; (fn. 10) and
the second by Ringull, at the Confessor's, and by Roger Fitz-Renard
at the Conqueror's survey; (fn. 11) to Moynes manor the advowson of AllSaints was appendant, and belonged to John Le Moyne, who held
it at three quarters of a fee of Will. Blaumister, and he of the Earl
Warren in Henry the Third's time. In 1282, Sir John Le Moyne of
Weston in Cambridgeshire had the manors of Weston by West Wratting, and this manor and advowson settled on him, by Tho. de Colvile,
for life, remainder to Baldwin de Manerijs (or Manors) for life, remainder to John, son of Henry de Cokefield, remainder to the right
heirs of Sir John Le Moyne, who, in 1285, had view of frankpledge,
and assize of bread and ale allowed him here. In 1316, it was settled
by another fine exactly according to the former in 1282, and in 1334,
John Le Moine's heir had it; I suppose Sir John de Brokesbourne
married her, for he presented then; after his death Sir John de Sutton
of Wivenho, Knt. held it in right of Margaret his wife, and levied
a fine of the manor and advowson in 1359, in order to settle them in
trustees hands, to his own use, John de Caston having claimed a turn
in the advowson, as belonging to his manor of Kirkehall, but was
cast. In 1360, Andrew Mancer, parson of Little Shelley, granted to
John Pach (or Peche) and other feoffees, the manor and advowson,
and Moyne's manor in Weston Colvile, in Cambridgeshire. In 1377,
Edmund, son of Sir Edmund de Brokesbourne, Knt. had it; and in
1401, Richard Chamberlain and John Sumpter held it of Tho. de Bardolph, and he of the Earl Warren. In 1415, John Fitz-Ralph, Esq.
and Tho. Elyngham, settled it on William Raynforth and Eleanor
his wife, for life; and before 1474, the manor called Moynes's, was
united to Kirkehall, for then Sir Robert Chaumberleyn levied a fine
of them and All-Saints advowson; and in 1546, John Barney settled his manor, called Barris, alias Gurneys, on Ralph Chaumberlain,
Esq. who afterwards purchased one part of Carbonel's manor, and the
advowson of St. Andrew's, and levied a fine of them all in 1567; and
in 1589, John Welde of London was lord; in 1590, Humphry Welde,
Gent. executor of the said John, kept his first court; and in 1601,
John Weld of London, Esq. was lord and patron; in 1623, William
Welde had them; in 1639, Sir Robert Berney, Bart. was owner, in
whose family they continued till Richard Barney, Esq. (who died in
1695, at Redham) mortgaged them, and Mrs. Anne Martell, widow,
presented under the mortgage; in 1709, they were ordered, by decree in chancery, to be sold to pay Mr. Barney's debts, and were sold
accordingly to Colonel Windham of Earsham, and now they are
owned by Joseph Windham-Ash, Esq. The leet belongs to the hundred, the fine is at the lord's will, and the eldest son is heir. As to
Kirkehall before the union, that belonged to the family sirnamed
de Castleton, Cakeston, or Caston, and was originally a part of the
manor of Caston Hall that extended into this town, though it was
taken as a separate manor very early, it being held by Robert de
Cakeston, or Caston, as such, about King John's time; (fn. 12) John de
Kitestun, or Caston, granted, and with his father's seal confirmed, to
Castle-Acre priory, his own and father's gift, of two garbs of the tithes
of their lands in Rockland St. Peter; in 1256, John de Caston was
lord; and in 1296, Robert de Caston held it at a quarter of a fee, of
William de Mortimer; in 1315, it belonged to Agnes de Caston, and
in 1319, John de Caston had a charter for free-warren here and in
Caston, Breydeston, and Burlingham. In 1373, Catherine, widow of
Sir John de Caston, conveyed Kirkehall manor to Tho. Caus of Hocham, and his heirs, Henry de Pakenham of Shropham being his trustee; and in 1387, William, son of Hugh Fastolf, released all his right
in the manor to Richard Caus, in whose family it continued, though
sometimes in trustees hands, till it was united to Moines's.
Belonged to a family sirnamed de Rockland, and was split out of
Moines's manor, for Maud de Rockland and her feoffees held it in
Henry the Third's time, of John Le Moine, at a quarter of a fee; in
Edward the First's time it divided, and Rich. Barry had one part,
whose daughter Joan married to Sir Robert de Caston; and in 1288,
Henry Berry and Christian his wife had it; after that it fell to John
de Caston, whose daughters, Elizabeth married Robert Carbonel, and
Alice, William Fastolf, in Edward the Third's time, when this part
was joined to Carbonel's manor; the other part continued in the
Rocklands, and in 1230, William de Rockland held it at half a fee;
in 1234, Adam de Rockland was lord; and in 1336, John de Rokeland;
in 1338, Will. de Redham and his feoffees had it, and it went with
the Redhams estate to the Berneys, John de Berney being possessed,
in 1355, of this and part of Kirkehall, In 1440, (fn. 13) John Berney of
Redham, Esq. settled this manor by the name of Kirkehall only, on
Phillip his son for life, remainder to Thomas his brother, and his
heirs, instead of the manor of Castons in Shipdam; but yet the son
recites in his will, dated 1441, that he had given it by deed to his
brother John Berney for life, remainder to his own heirs; and not
long after this, Kirkehall part was united to Kirkehall and Moines's,
with which it continues, but Barry's continued in the Barneys; and
in 1527, John Barney, Esq. died seized, after which, about 1546, it
united to Kirkehall.
Was held by Constantine de Mortimer in Henry the Third's time, at
one fee, of the Earl Warren, who held it of the King in capite; it
continued in that family a long time, and passed as their manor of
Attleburgh did; in 1337, Constantine de Mortimer, Esq. had a charter for free-warren in his lordship; it descended with Scoulton to Sir
John Fitz-Ralf, Knt. who married Margery, grand-daughter and
coheir of Sir Robert Mortimer, who had issue John Fitz-Rauf, Esq.
whose son John married Alice Walesburgh, by whom he had Elizabeth,
his coheiress, who enjoyed it in fee simple after her grandfather's
death, with Elyngham, and Waldingfield in Suffolk, and Kingston in
Cambridgeshire, they being settled by her grandfather on her, to perform his last will; and from this time it was joined to Kirkehall and
At the survey, was held by Pain or Pagan, of Roger Bigot; (fn. 14) and in
1218, by Richard Fitz-Roger, at half a fee; in 1231, Richard LePrestre released to Ralph Gernun his right in that half fee, which
William de Rokelund then held of him in exchange, for other estates
in Essex. In 1345, John Le-Schephyrd, and Jeffery de Beneland
held the half fee, formerly John Gurnun's, of the honour of Pembrook,
which Robert de Bonelond and Isabel Cody lately held, they had it
till 1401; it after belonged to Richard Hocham of Little Hocham,
who sold it to Henry Pakenham of Shropham, Esq. and his trustees,
who, in 1445, settled it absolutely on Elizabeth Bigot, his wife, and
her heirs, William Warner and others being trustees. In 1463, Elizabeth Bigot, formerly wife of Sir Ralph Bigot, Knt. after that of
Henry Pakenham, made her will, which was proved 18 Aug. in that
year, (fn. 15) in which she desired to be buried in the Austin friars church at
Norwich, and gave this manor, and all her manors and lands in Great
Elingham, and Attleburgh, with the courts, reliefs, &c. to Tho. Manning, her husband, and his heirs. In 1472, Henry Bixle of Thetford
kept his first court, after he had purchased it of Tho. Pekke of Rokelond, and John Salter. In 1479, Rob. Fulmerston of Stow, and Reginald Parys of Thetford, at the request of Bixley's executors, whose
feoffees they were, conveyed it to Tho. Brian, clerk, Will. Cross, and
Tho. Springold, who released it to Tho. Plummer of Swaffham, and
Isabell, wife of Tho. Summersham of Thetford, senior, dier, Robert
Wyneyve, Robert Newman, and Tho. Blake, in trust for Eleanor
Muriel, who held her first court in 1486; in 1493, they conveyed it
to Robert Muriel, Rich. Groom, Robert Fulmerston, John Walter,
and John Mathew, who held their first court in 1494; and in 1498
they granted it to John Nele of Hocham, and Christopher Purdey of
Bury, who sold it to Helen Muriel, Peter Webster, John Purdey,
Ralph Nele, &c. in 1506; and in 1514, they conveyed it to Tho.
Muriel and Henry Darby, who sold it to Will. Neele of ElinghamParva, who, in 1524, sold it to Robert Sibbs of Counston in Suffolk,
William Cunge of Berningham, Robert Hawise of Weston, and John
Muriel of Rockland, Sibb's feoffees, to whom they released in 1536,
from which time the courts were held in his name, till his death in
1572, and then Robert Sibbs of Hawley in Suffolk, his son and heir,
kept his first court, and in 1594, sold it to Edm. Sarjent of Coneweston, who, in 1598, sold it to William Musket of Hawley in Suffolk,
Gent. who, in 1609, jointly with Robert his son, settled it on Anne
Bedgewell, the intended wife of the said Robert, and they sold it to
John Duffield and Barbara his wife; but in 1619, Simon Musket,
Gent. and Anne his wife, recovered it by an action brought against
John Duffield, senior, and John Duffield, junior, to them and their
heirs, and at their death it fell to the share of Henry Blomefield of
Fersfield, Gent. who married Anne Musket, their daughter and coheiress; he at his death left it to Henry Blomefield of Brisingham,
Gent. his only son by his second wife, at whose death it went to Style
Blomefield of Blonorton, Gent. his eldest son, who died single, and it
descended to Mr. Henry Blomefield of Fersfield, his only brother,
who is now lord. (fn. 16) The manor-house is dilapidated, its site is still
called Ladie's, which name it assumed from the Lady Bigot, its former owner.
The manors of Castonhall, Attleburgh Mortimers cum Membris ex
parte Crowshall, Elingham-Parva, Thompson, and Scoulton Newlands,
extend into these parishes.