This is now a depopulated village, and has only a manor or farmhouse; it lies westward of Croxton, near the Ouse-Parva, that divides this
county from that of Suffolk; in ancient writings it is wrote Santon,
and Stanton, and so may take its name either from its sandy situation, or from the number of flinty stones that are in the sands, At
the Survey, it was the lordship of William Earl Warren, and there
were three carucates, valued at 10s. per annum. (fn. 1)
In the reign of King Henry III. Peter de Barew held this lordship
of the Earl Warren, and in the 34th of that King, a fine was levied
between Peter Crispin, querent, and the aforesaid Peter, impedient,
of two carucates of land here, and four shillings rent in Tefford,
granted to Crispin for 40s. sterling; (fn. 2) this was probably on some
marriage settlement, for in the third of Edward I. Peter de Barew,
and Hugh de Dunton, were found to hold this town of the aforesaid
Earl, and he in capite, as parcel of his barony. (fn. 3)
In the 9th of King Edward II. Nicholas, son of Thomas de Stanton,
was returned as lord of this place, (fn. 4) but the toll of the ferry here belonged to the lord of Thetford, as was found on the death of Ralph
de Cobham, lord of Thetford. The aforesaid Nicholas, and Catherine
his wife, conveyed the manor to Roger de Bodney, and Nicholas his
wife, and by a fine levied in the 15th of Edward III. it was settled on
Roger and Nicholaa aforesaid, in tail, remainder to Richard, son of
And on St. Mathew's day, in the 8th of Richard II. John de
Bodney, by his deed then dated at Santon, gives to John Elvered,
rector of Oxburg, Richard de Risele, Richard Coslyn, clerk, John
Crane of Foulden, clerk, Thomas Veylde, clerk, and John Baxter of
Dudelynton, his manor in Santon, with the rents, services, &c. and
all his lands and tenements in Wilton, Hockwold, and Dudlyngton, (fn. 5)
the above-named persons held it as trustees till it could be settled on
the Prior and Convent of St. Mary of Thetford; and in the 7th of
King Henry VII. Nov. 19, John Mowbray Duke of Norfolk, being
one of the trustees, obtained license of mortmain, on the Prior and
Convent's payment of 25l. to the King, and Sir John Howard, lord of
the fee, confirmed the same on the 17th Dec. in the aforesaid year. (fn. 6)
On the dissolution of the priory of Thetford, it was given with the
site of that house, to Thomas Howard Duke of Norfolk, and being
forfeited on the attainder of the said Duke, King Edward VI. by his
letters patents, dated 6th May, in the 5th year of his reign, gave it to
John Cheke, Esq. (his schoolmaster,) to be held of him in capite,
paying 28s. 4d. per annum, but it came again to the Crown, by a fine
passed in the third and fourth of Philip and Mary, between the said
King and Queen, and Sir John Cheek. (fn. 7) And in the following year,
it was enjoyed by Thomas Duke of Norfolk, and was alienated by the
Earl of Arundel and Surrey, to Thomas Bancroft, Gent. on the 21st
of June, in the 21st of King James I.; and by an inquisition taken at
Thetford, 28th July, in the 12th of King Charles I. on the death of
Thomas Bancroft, it was found to be held by him of the King in
capite, by the fortieth part of a knight's fee; the said Thomas left by
Margaret his wife, three daughters; Helen, married to Rob. Sadler,
Gent. Elizabeth, married to John Scroggs, and Margaret, afterwards
the wife of Nicholas Cuntiff of Chiselhurst in Kent. Robert Sadler,
by Helen, had a daughter of the same name, who was married to
Thomas Saunders of Beachwood in Hertfordshire, who purchasing the
other shares, left it to his daughter and heir, the wife of Sir Edward
Seabright, Bart. From this last family it came to —Copinger,
Esq. and from him to — Petiward, Esq. the present  lord.
The tenths of this town were 2l. 10s. 4d.
The Prior and Convent of Castle-Acre had a portion of tithes here,
valued at 4s. 5d. per annum. (fn. 8)
The present fabrick is very small, rebuilt out of the ruins of the old
one (which was dedicated to All-Saints) about a century past, of
flint, and some brick, being in length about 30 feet, and in breadth
about 15; the roof is camerated, plastered, and covered with tiles; at
the south-west corner is a little place raised above the roof, in which
hangs one bell.
The revision tells us, this chapel was ruined, but was rebuilt by Tho.
Bancroft, Gent. the sole parishioner there, and was consecrated by
Samuel Bishop of Norwich, in his progress towards the archbishoprick
of York, Jan. 6, 1628.
Near the east end, on the pavement, lies a marble stone with these
arms, Bancroft, or, on a bend between six cross croslets ar. three garbs
of the first, impaling two chevronels, one charged with an ermine
spot, and thus inscribed,
Thomas Bancrofte Armiger, Ex præcipuis in Archivis, ejus qui
Præfecto Ærarij Regij a Memoria est, Librarijs. Cujus Impensis unicis atque ultroneis, Ecelesia hæc funditus antiquitus
demolita, propriisque Ruderibus sopita longum sepultaque, tandem rediviva resurrexit, Cui Margareta Conjux præcharissima,
(præter plerosque Liberos jam diù in Cineres redactos,) tres
peperit Filias, nimirum, Helenam, Roberto Sadlier in Agro Hertfordiensi apud Sopwell, Divi Albani Pago vicinum, Armigero,
Connubio junctam, Elizabetham, Johanni Scroggs de Patmerhall in eôdem Comitatu, Armigero, nuptam. Nubilemque
Margaretam Virginem, summum sui eximias Dotes Desiderium
relinquens. Dierum Satur et Canitie bona, indubiâ suscitandi,
novissima Tuba, Spe, hìc placide in Domino obdormit. Mortalitate exutus, Parasceve 15 Aprilis, 1636.
Rectors. (fn. 9)
1311, 26 Sept. Robert, son of Hugo de Rokelins, to Sancton. Adam
1315, 25 Oct. John de Norwode, to Santone. Sir Hervy de
William de Culpho, resigned.
1329, 14 Nov. Henry Blast de Tudenham. Sir William Visdelew.
1338, 29 Jan. John de Aldeburgh.
1341, 22 Sep. Roger de Fakenham.
1349, 2 June, Henry Purchas.
1368, 17 June, William de Rusheworth.
1374, 26 Feb. John, son of Richard Hey.
1376, 15 Jan. Hubert Atte Cherche de Lackford.
1385, 12 Oct. John Bolt, on the resignation of Atte Cherche. He
was rector of Flempton, and exchanges with Atte Cherche. He was
buried in the chancel of St. Catharine's church at Flempton; his will
was proved March 12, 1385.
1385, 26 Jan. Robert Fullere.
1388, 11 Sept. Stephen Manwodene, on the resignation of Fullere.
He was vicar of Lakynghithe, and exchanged with Fuller.
The above nine were presented by Sir John de Shardelowe, Knt.
1405, 10 Sep. Richard Fitz-Hugh. Sir George Felbrigg.
1409, 8 May, William Butt, on the resignation of Fitz Hugh. He
was rector of Ampton, and exchanged with Fitz-Hugh. Ditto.
1409, 7 Aug. Richard Christmesse. Ditto.
1411, 23 Aug. John Cook, on the resignation of Christmesse. He
was vicar of Sappeston, and exchanged with Christmess. Ditto.
1413, 16 Dec. William Northwolde de Hockwolde. Ditto.
1418, 13 Dec. Robert Gleyne, on the resignation of Northwolde.
The Lady Ela de Schardelow.
1431, 25 Aug. William Brigham. Sir John Shardelow, Knt.
1436, 7 Nov. John Walter, on the resignation of Brigham. The
Lady Ela de Schardelow.
1442, Robert Clark. Thomas Heigham, Esq.
1445, William Fraunceys. Ditto. Changed with Chipenham.
1453, 18 May, John Cony. Thomas Heigham.
1454, 3 May, John Andrew. Simon Fincham, feoffee to Robert
Ashfield, the true patron.
1460, 27 Oct. Edmund Beene, on the death of Rollecrosse. Cecily
Ashfield, relict of Robert Ashfield, Esq.
1465, 18 March, Richard Roger. Thomas Heigham, Esq.
1482, 12 March, Richard Bimoke. Thomas Heigham, son and heir
to Thomas Heigham, late of Gaysle, deceased.
1491, 21 May, Richard Skeppere, on the death of Dunche. Tho.
Heigham, sen. Gent. who in 1494, granted the advowson to the
Mayor and Commonalty of Thetford, who are the present patrons.
See p. 136.
1509, 12 Apr. Thomas Gunwhat, rector of St. Etheldred's in Thetford, on the death of Skepper.
1524, 5 Nov. Thomas Hedge of Thetford, late vicar of Didlington.
The Mayor, &c.
John Pory. Ditto.
1539, 2 Aug. Bartholomew Baxter, on the death of Pory. Ditto.
1587, 30 May, John Thaxter, presented by Evance Richards,
mayor of Thetford. After this, the said Thaxter occurs again as instituted Dec. 9, 1587, on the death of the last rector, presented by
John Buxton, mayor of Thetford.
1601, 11 Jan. John Tilney, on the death of Thaxter.
1620, 1 Nov. William Jenkinson, A. B. The church of Santon,
which for many years had lain in ruins, was rebuilt at the charge of
Thomas Bancroft, Gent. and consecrated on the 6th Jan. 1628.
1635, 8 March, Richard Kendal, A. M. on the death of the last
rector. He was turned out by the Earl of Manchester, 10th Aug.
1644, for observing the orders of the church, refusing to contribute
to the Rebellion, swearing, haunting inns, being distempered with
liquor, keeping malignant company, and for saying in a sermon, six
or seven years before, that the puritans were hypocrites. He was also
plundered for the Parliament taxes, and if I mistake not (says Walker, (fn. 10) )
had some temporal estate also put under sequestration, ejected from
this, and [Sandy] Downham stipend.
1669, 10 March, John Burrell, A. M. on the death of Kendall. He
held this with Kilverston in Norfolk, and was afterwards rector of
1692, 21 Jan. John Tyrrell.
1713, 5 June, John Price, A. M. on the death of Tyrrell.
1717, The Rev. Mr. Thomas Eversdon, the present  rector.
The seven last were presented by the Mayor.
This rectory is valued in the King's Books at 1l. 15s. 10d.; tenths
3s. 7d.; of which it is now discharged, the clear yearly value being
sworn at 35l. Synodals 1s. 9d.; Peter-pence. 10d. There was a rectoryhouse, but no land, in Edward the Third's time.
In the 5th year of King John, Peter de Clay had a suit with Thomas
de Ingaldesthorp, about the right of presentation to this church; and
in the said year, a fine was levied between Peter de Clay, and Adam
de Hakebech, of the advowson, wherein Adam had the right conveyed
to him. (fn. 11) And in the 17th of Edward II. a fine was levied between
Robert son of Adam de Hakebech, querent, Henricus de Staunton
vel Santon, one of the itinerant justices, (fn. 12) defendant, of messuages in
Santon, and the advowson of the church, granted to Hervey for life,
remainder to Robert. In the 11th of Henry VI. Sir John Shardelow,
Knt. son of Robert, son of Sir John, died without issue, seized of this
advowson, and Thomas Brews of Salle, Esq. son of Robert Brews, son
of — Brews, and Joan his wife, sister of Robert de Shardelow,
was found his cousin and heir.
In 1265, Simon Bishop of Norwich confirmed to the monks of
Castle-Acre, two parts of the tithes of the demeans of Sir Adam de