THE HUNDRED OF WAYLAND.
Wanelunt, as it was anciently called, or Wanelund, (fn. 1) is bounded
on the east with the hundreds of Shropham and Fourhoe, on the west
by Grimeshou and South-Greenehou, on the south by Shropham, and
on the north by South-Greenehou and Mitford. At the Conquest it
belonged to the Crown, and paid 40s. by Godric, who farmed it of
the Conqueror. It was given by King John, with the hundred of
Grimeshou and manor of Saham, to Sir Roger de Thony, or Tony,
and his heirs, from which time it passed with Grimeshou (as you may
see at p. 148) till the year 1662, and then it was divided and sold by
William Crane, of Wood-Rising, Esq.
Part of it came to the Wrights, and Mr. Wright, late of Brandon
in Suffolk, son of the Rev. Mr. Wright, vicar of Stepney, enjoys it,
and hath the leets of Thompson, Griston, Caston, Ashill, Ovington,
And part, viz. the leets of the Carbrooks to Rob. Clayton, Gent,
afterwards Sir Rob. Clayton of London, Knt. along with Carbrook
manors, with which they have passed ever since.
The hundred is a deanery of itself, denominated from Breccles, the
head town at that time; it is subject to the Archdeacon of Norwich,
had a bailiff and two coroners in Edward the First's time; it paid to
the tenths 75l. 11s. 6d. clear. It was let at five marks in 1267, and
at 3l. 5s. in Henry the Eighth's time; the manors of Breecles, Watton,
Saham, Stow, and Merton, having their own leets belonging to them,
render them independent of the hundred, which at this time 
contains 15 towns, of which I shall begin with Breccles, the ancient
residence of the Deans of Breccles.
This deanery was taxed at 6s. 8d. and the Archdeacon of Norwich
received of the dean for synodals every Michaelmass, 16s. 4d. for synodals every Easter, 16s. 4d. and for Peter-pence every Easter, 20s.; (fn. 2) it
was in the Bishop's gift, who collated the following
1310, 7 kal. June, Peter de Bosco, de Parva Elingham, accolite.
1320, 11 kal. Oct. Robert Atte Wode, de Elingham, sub-deacon.
1323, 4 id. June, Martin de Innyng, sub-deacon. The Bishop's
chaplain. Change with Besmere deanery.
1323, 5 kal. Dec. John de Meleburn, sub-deacon, the Bishop's
1339, 19 March, Rob. de Austerby, accolite.
1352, 6 Feb. Thomas de Hemenhale, accolite.
1377, 9 Oct. John de Bosworth, clerk.
1388, 8 Oct. John Shepmeadow, clerk.
1390, 10 Nov. Joan Pykes, clerk.
1398, 14 Aug. James de Horsford, clerk.
1400, 8 Oct. Nicholas Broun, clerk.
1404, 12 Oct. Tho. Wylimott, clerk.
1409, 3 Aug. John Watlyngton, priest.
1466, pen. Sep. James Lawys, at whose institution it was consolidated to the deanery of Cranwich. (fn. 3)