CONISFORD GREAT WARD,
Contains the three small wards of South Conisford, North Conisford,
and Berstreet. And first of
South Conisford Ward,
Which contains in the suburbs (of which I shall treat separately) that
part of Trowse on this side of the river commonly called Trowse Milgate, from the water-mills there, and the priory and parish of St. James
at Carrow; and within the walls the following parishes, viz.
St. Peter Southgate,
In which the Southern-gate, as it was anciently called, and now,
(1) Conisford-gate, is situated; near which, on the west side,
the river Wensum runs between two
(2) Towers, one of which stands on the east side of the river, and
in that, the keeper of the old boom or beam, which went cross the
river between these two towers, dwelt, that he might be at hand to
admit such boats as he thought proper up the river: this boom being
of a double use, to stop all persons from coming up the river that the
city thought proper; and to hinder any boats going till the city toll
was paid; a certificate of which was produced to the keeper, before
he suffered their boats to pass.
Entering the city at this gate, on the right hand of Cowsford or
Conisford-street, (see p. 50,) is the ancient site (though now built
(3) St. Olave's chapel,
Which was a parochial chapel before the Conquest, subject to the
archdeacon of Norwich, paid 3d. synodals; but it was perpetually
united to the rectory of St. Peter Southgate, in Edward the Third's
time, and the ornaments of the chapel were carried thither, and the
chapel itself was pulled down before 1345; and the yard seems to
have been leased to the city, to augment their key which they then
had, against the water-side, by the dissolved chapel of St. Olave. This
parish was in Lower or Nether Conisford, as all those parishes on the
east side of the street are; those on the west being in Over, or Upper
Conisford; that next the gates is called,
(4) St. Peter Southgate, and anciently St. Peter de Bither,
Which is a rectory belonging to the abbey and convent of St. Benedict
at Holm, and now to the Bishop of Norwich, in right of that house;
it was anciently valued at 40s. taxed at half a mark, paid 6d. synodals,
and 8d. ob. procurations, and a pound of incense to Holm abbey;
which was released to the rector when the advowson came to the
bishoprick; from which time there hath been usually 5l. per annum
given by the Bishop to the serving minister here, as there now is; the
voluntary contributions of the parishioners in Dr. Prideaux's time
amounted to 5l. and it hath been augmented by lot, with 200l. of Queen
Anne's bounty; so that the whole amounts to about 16l. per annum;
it was valued in the King's books at 2l. 17s. 3d. ob. and being sworn
of the clear yearly value of 2l. 3s. 1d. ob. it is discharged of first
fruits and tenths; and hath service performed once in a fortnight.
Presented by the Abbot and Convent of Holm.
1217, Roger, rector.
1254, Simon Sonestryst.
1318, Tho. son of Rob. Ketel.
1323, Adam de Houton, son of Thomas le Barkere, resigned,
1326, Peter son of Herman at the Stighele at Fretenham, resigned.
1330, Luke Bertram of South Walsham.
1350, John Mason of North Walsham.
1351, Henry de Uppecloft.
1355, Hugh de Tame, changed for Howe in
1366, with Richard, son of John Richard.
1380, Stephen, son of John Horn, buried in the Friars-Austins.
1381, Ric. de Lyng resigned.
1381, Seman the priest, changed for Netesherd in the same year,
with John Mirigo, who changed for Sidestrond in
1391, with John Swyket.
1392, John Snell, resigned.
1393, Will. Tillere.
1396, James Goodman.
1403, John Grond changed for Bircham Tofts in
1405, with John Wittlesey.
1408, John Graunt of Wramplingham.
John Tudde, changed in Elmendon in Litchfield and Coventry
1416, with Sir William Palmer, who changed for Abynton in Ely
1418, with Sir Tho. Hall.
1419, Sir Reginald Marchale of Great Snoring, priest, lapse.
1430, Will. Grey.
1445, Rob. Ryngman.
1448, Will. Brygge, lapse.
1464, John Foster held it by sequestration.
1476, Will. Haytour alias Lyons, lapse.
1479, Will. Swan, lapse; buried in the chancel.
1498, John Cook, lapse, resigned.
1502 John Stanton.
1510, John Forham, lapse.
1523, Will. Wights, united to Trowse, resigned.
1528, John Wente, resigned.
1533, John Selby. The last presented by the abbot.
Presented by the Bishop.
1593, John Alrick, the Bishop in right of St. Bennet's abbey.
1608, James Smith.
1612, John Jefferie.
1613, Will. Merrick, resigned.
1623, Tho. Sadlington.
1638, Tho. Smith.
1671, John Paris, res.
1673, Will. Keeling.
Since which, I find no institution, it having been held, as it now is,
by sequestration, on the Bishop's nomination.
Mr. Henry Watts was some time since sequestrator, and now 
The Rev. Mr. John Brooks, rector of St. Augustine, and minor
canon of the cathedral.
(5) Here was anciently a rectory-house, which stood on the
west side of the churchyard, in which Roger the rector dwelt in 1217;
Simon Sonestrist owned half an acre of land extending from the north
side of his parsonage yard to Hildebrond's spitel, which at his death,
he settled to find a lamp burning for ever in this church, which continued to the Dissolution.
In 1632, one Anne Bullen recovered it by action from the city, who
had leased it out.
The parsonage-house was in ruins very early, and the site of it,
which contained about a rood of land, was conveyed for an annual
rent to the parishioners; after which, it was called the free land of the
parish; and in 1654, was recovered from Richard Dowsing, by a commission of charitable uses.
The steeple of this church is square, and hath in it three bells, the
nave and south porch are tiled, the chancel thatched; there is a north
chapel, which is tiled, and was founded by Tho. Large, alderman, and
dedicated to our Lady; in which, before the altar, he was interred in
1518, but his stone is robbed of its brasses, though his merchant-mark
remains in a window there.
In a north chancel window are the effigies of Will. Basset the elder,
and his wife, in blue habits, and a desk before them, on which a book,
and this date, 1521, and an [M] to denote the name of Mary. He was
buried in the aforesaid year, under this window, and gave 13s. 4d. to
glaze it, and 3s. 4d. to repair the organs in this church, which stood
between the church and chapel, on a beam of which Basset's merchantmark still remains.
The gild of St. Peter, commonly called the fishermen's gild, was
held in this church, to which John Hoode, senior, fisherman, was a
benefactor; in 1479, he was buried in the church, and ordered a marble to be laid over him, on which the inscription still remains;
Orate pro anima Johannis hood ruius [anime] Deus propicietur
qui obiit xxviii die Decembris Ano. Dni: M CCCCoxxxixo.
In 1431, the window over the cleristories, that is, the seats in the
wall on the south side of the altar, on which the clerks sat in stories,
one higher than another, viz. the priest, deacon, and sub-deacon, was
new glazed, and a new bell purchased.
At the chancel door lies a stone with the effigies of a priest on it,
the inscription being lost; but it was laid over Roger Clerk, priest,
who was buried in 1487, and gave 20s. towards a new mass book.
In a north chancel window is a broken inscription for Tho. Owbens.
The font hath this round its top:
One good Peple of yowr lebing Cheryte pray ffor the Sowlls
off Robt. Gant and Thomas Fawde and Cyssely, with their
Goodis deed thys fount reedifey, In the honur of God, and
owor blissid Ladi Seint Mari and Hooli Seint Peter owor
It is an octagon, on each side of which is a carving, viz.
1. A cock on a pillar, and P. P. for Peter and Paul.
2. The crown of thorns, scourges, and rods.
3. The shield of the five wounds.
4. The shield of the instruments of the passion.
5. St. Peter on the cross with his head downwards, and S. S. P. for
the most Holy St. Peter.
6. The emblem of the Trinity.
7. The cups and wafers, the emblem of the Sacrament.
8. Arg. frette vert, a canton.
On a brass,
Orate pro anima Margarete Adreo, cuius anime propicietur
Orate pro anima Johis Isbellys cuius anime propicietur Deus
There is an inscription on this stone, for Anne wife of William
Beverley, 25 Dec. 1736, Æt. 28.
On a brass by the altar on the south side;
Orate pro anima Domini Willi: Swan, quondam Rectoris
istius Ecclesie, ruius anime propicietur Deus Amen.
On a loose brass that came off a stone in the middle of the chancel,
Orate pro anima Johannis Longe Capellani qui obiit rriiiio die
Mensis Augusti, Ao Dni: MoCCCCoro ruius anime propicietur.
There are stones here for,
Margaret Wife of James Jeckes, Daughter of John Gonton, ob.
19 Sept. 1688, and also for James her Son.
John Gunton Parchment Maker, March 16, 1707, Æt. 77. Martha his Wife, 3 Dec. 1697, Æt. 70.
In the porch lie buried, John Baker, July 19, 1736, Æt. 61. Rob.
Scales Carpenter, 29 Jan. 1730, æt. 53.
(6) On the west part of this church lie the hills called ButterHills, corruptly for Boteler's or Butler's hills, part of which were
owned by John le Boteler, and after that by Hubert de Hoe, and Agnes
his wife, Thomas the fellmonger and Isabell his wife, who gave it in
free alms to the Prioress of Carrowe, there being then a windmill on
that part of it which reached the city ditch, the walls being then not
built; all which Sabrina Prat, for the souls of Sibraund her father
and Maud her mother, confirmed to the Prioress and her convent,
which owned the greater part of these hills, of the gift of King
Stephen their founder, and always received the rent thereof, till the
mayor and commonalty encroached upon them, and raised various
suits about them, but were always overthrown: but at last, in 1521,
the Prioress leased them for ever to the city, for 10s. per annum, with
a clause of entry for non-payment. (fn. 1) The hills being thus abutted on
the city walls south, Berstreet west, the close of John Girdeler north,
the city land called the
(7) Lime-kiln ground (fn. 2) belonging to the city, the land of the
church of St. Peter Southgate, the land of Holm abbey, of the Prioress
of Carrowe and others, east; and soon after, the city leased it to alderman Grewe, at 26s. 8d. per annum. On the summit of these hills
(8) Black-Tower, or Governour's-Tower, which commands the
city and the river to a great distance; this was used in time of the
plague for a pesthouse; (fn. 3) other houses being erected for that purpose
on these hills, and such as died there were buried in this churchyard.
The religious concerned in this parish were, the Abbot of Holm,
who was taxed for his temporals at 16d. and the Prioress of Carrow
at 2s. 6d.
The next parish to this is
(9) ST. EDWARD'S,
Whose church stood also on the west side of Conisford-street; its
churchyard joined, on the south side, to the site of Hildebrond's
hospital, and had a lane or passage leading from the street by the
side of the hospital, to its churchyard; the east end of which extended level to the west end of St. Etheldred's churchyard; to the
south-west corner of which, it reached within about 100 yards, there
being three tenements with their yards, between the churchyard and
the street, one of which paid a yearly rent of 21d. to the high altar
in this church, the ruins of which are visible in Mr. Webber's garden.
It was at first a rectory in the donation of the Prioress of Carhowe,
valued at 40s. and paid 3d. per annum synodals. In 1269, Robert,
rector of St. Edward's, is mentioned, at whose death it was perpetually united to St. Julian's; and in 1305, Hugh de Creyte was
instituted to the annexed churches of St. Edward and St. Julian, at
the presentation of the Prioress of Carrow, and ever since they have
been but one parish.
Joining to the west end of this church, was a chapel called Hildebrond's chapel, founded by Hildebrond the mercer, when he founded
his adjoining hospital, for the use of that house; in this chapel there
was daily service performed for the hospital; the Norwich Domesday
tells us, that there was a missal, portifory, and vestment, with a chest
to lay them in, belonging to it; after the Union, the hospital chaplain
performed service in the church, and celebrated mass at such times
only as he liked, in the chapel; and so the rector was discharged from
the service of the church, and it became the hospital church, and as
such continued to the Dissolution: it was in use in 1540. and when
the hospital was dissolved, the church was ruinated, and the site of it
passed with the site of the hospital, to the mayor and commonalty, of
whom it is now held by lease.
Joining to the north side of this church was a cell, the ruins of which
may now  be seen, in which a recluse continually dwelt, and
most persons that died in the city left small legacies towards her support. In 1428, Lady Joan was anchoress here, to whom Walter Sedman left 20s. and 40d. to each of her servants. In 1458, Dame Anneys
or Agnes Kyte was recluse here.
The advowson was joined and continued with St. Julian's, as doth
that of St. Clement's in Conisford, and all the three, after their union,
were valued at 3l. 6s. 3d. in the King's Books, paid 12d. synodals, and
In 1516, Margaret Norman, widow, was buried here, and gave a
legacy to the lady anchoress by the church.
In 1530, Margaret Benham was buried in the chancel, and in
1540, Christian Pollard, a parishioner of St. Edward's parish, was
buried in the church, and gave a legacy to it.
Walter, the chaplain in Henry the Third's time, settled 2s. per annum
out of a messuage in this parish on the Prioress of Carrowe, for an
(10) The Common Stathe, or Key, called the New Common
Stathe, in Henry the Sixth's time was in this parish, belonged to the
city, and was then let at 8l. 11s. 10d. per annum. I find it sometimes
called Calvestathe: in Henry the Fourth's time, Richard Blackamore
built a crane here, from whom it took the name of Blackamore's
stathe; in Edward the Sixth's time, the city built a house and a new
crane, and leased it out. In 1667, upon complaint that this house
(being a publick-house) harboured dissolute persons, who put off from
thence at unseasonable times, the mayor ordered that the boom near
the stathe should be shut up at 10 at night in the summer, and nine
in the winter; and should be opened at four in the morning in summer, and six in winter.
In 1660, there was a committee about the common-stathe lease, to
consider whether Mr. Malby's gift to the city ought to take off any
duties granted in the lease, and to examine of how long continuance
a boom or a chain have been used to be crossed over the river above the
The religious concerned here were,
The Abbot of Ramseye, who was taxed for his temporals at 5s.;
the Abbot of Langele at 2s.; by deed without date, John, son of Nic.
de Buthorp, gave to the abbot and canons at Langley 7s. yearly rent,
issuing from divers lands and tenements; among which was a yearly
rent of 31 pence and an halfpenny, and one penny to every free
scutage, issuing out of 10 acres and an half of land in Bowthorp,
which the recluse at St. Edward's held of him. On the south side of
this churchyard was,
(11) HILDEBROND'S HOSPITAL, or HILDEBRONDE'S
SPITEL, called IVY-HALL, or ST. MARY'S HOSPITAL,
Founded by Hildebrond the mercer in Norwich, and Maud his
wife, who gave the patronage of it to the Bishop, as appeared by an
inquisition taken in 1274. It was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin;
and as Norwich Domesday tells us, had a common-hall or large chamber over it for the master or custos; besides other buildings, both low
and upper rooms, in which poor people wanting house-room were to
be lodged, and have firing allowed them by the master.
The master had a chapel also dedicated to St. Mary, appropriated
to his hospital, joining to the west end of St. Edward's church, as
aforesaid. His mastership was valued at 5l. per annum, and the other
revenues of the hospital at 14s. 2d. per annum. The masters were
collated by the Bishop, and inducted by the official of the Bishop's
manors, and it was compatible with any preferment.
Masters of The Hospital.
1260, Master Tho. de Mutford.
1262, Nicholas, rector of Bernham; he granted under the common
seal of the hospital, to Master Adam of St. Alban, a piece of land in
St. Peter per Mountergate, to be held of the hospital at 40d. per
1320, John Wykelwode.
Rob. de Langele, resigned.
1353, Henry de Plumstede.
1385, Peter Mighel.
1385, John Eyr.
1397, John de Elmham.
1401, Master Will de Fryseby.
1405, John Haukyns, who changed for St. Bartholomew, in
1412, with John Bowde
1413, Will. Hayton.
1419, Will Toly.
Roger Malmesbury, resigned. In 1428, Will. Setman hath
this clause in his will, that if the master of Ivyhall, late called the
Hospital in Conysford, will observe and perform the ancient duty
belonging to that hospital, then the ancient rents due to the hospital
should be paid out of his two houses, otherwise not.
1471, Tho. Massenger.
1497, John Jollys; he was succeeded in
1504, by Tho. Deye.
John Underwood, suffragan to Bishop Nix, was the last
At the Dissolution it came to the city, with all its revenues, and
(12) Hildebrond's Spitel Croft; and in 1632, the tenements of
the mayor and commonalty, called Hildebrond's Spitel, were then
The site of this hospital was purchased by Hildebrond the mercer,
of Roger son of Ric. de Duneviz, (or Dunwich,) as the original deed
shows me, about the beginning of Henry the Third's time.
In 1244, Alice, widow of Simon of St. Leonard, citizen of Norwich,
conveyed to Sibill her daughter, a messuage in Conisford, between the
land of Hildebrond the mercer, and the land of her sister Katerine,
the anchoress at St. Giles's, opposite to the hospital; this was purchased by Robert, rector of St. Edward's; and in 1267, sold by him to
Maud le Waleys of Swerdeston, there being a rent of 3d. per annum
payable out of it to the church of St. Edward, on St. Edward's day;
which shows that the church was built alter the Confessor's time, to
whom it was dedicated; this messuage after came to John, son of Simon the mercer, who seems to have been son of the founder, for he
settled a rent of 8s. 6d. per annum out of it on the hospital.
In 1274, the citizens, in the King's name, sued the Bishop for the
advowson of the hospital, the revenues of which were 12 marks per
annum; but the Bishop recovered.
The master always paid 4d. a year to the Prioress of Carrowe, for a
free rent for the site of the hospital; which always received yearly a
sum from the Bishop, and another from the city to be employed in
works of charity; but they both were gifts only, and not fixed
In 1440, Rob. Steynton, rector of St. Julian and St. Edward, gave
a bed and other furniture.
In 1458, Emma Swey gave a vestment to the hospital chapel at the
end of St. Edward's church, and new tiled it with Flemish tiles.
In 1459, Will. Grey, alderman, gave a sum of money to repair the
beds in Ivyhalle (fn. 4) hospital, for the poor to lodge in.
(13) St. Etheldred's Church
Is a small building, its steeple is round, was rebuilt little higher than
the church, the nave and south porch of which are covered with reeds,
the chancel is tiled, and there is only one small bell.
On a mural monument on the south side, at the east end of the
Paul, arg two fesses az. a canton sab, Crest a dove proper.
Subtus inhumatur vir Reverendus JOHANNES PAUL A. M.
Ecclesiæ Cathedialis Norvici Minor Canonicus, necnon Parochiarum S. Ægidij, et S. Gregorij infrà hancce Civitatem Pastor,
verè dignus, verbi Dei fidus Concionator, Ecclesiæ Anglicanœ
filius obsequentissimus, amicus perquam fidelis, pijs omnibus
bonisque Charus, placidè in Domino obdormivit, Septembris die
28 A°. Dni: 1726, Æt. suæ 46.
Here also resteth the Body of Mrs. ABIGAIL PAUL (who
erected this monument to the memory of her brother) and departed this life the 8th day of June 1729, aged 44 years.
The Holy Bible and several books, are carved at the bottom of the
And opposite in the alley, are stones for, Mr. John Paul Senior,
Nov. 22, 1730, Æt. 77. Mary his wife 17 July, 1724, Æt. 68, Mary
their daughter Jan. 15, 1696.
Inscriptions within the altar rails; the first is on a brass plate:
Here lyeth buried the Bodye of that Blessed meeke Man William Ramsie, who beinge about the Age of Fowerscore Yeres,
departed this Life in the Faith of his Savior Christ Jhesus,
the xiith Day of October, A°. Dni: 1613.
Joan Ramsie died in 1656.
Hic jacet Georgins Green Generosus, idemque dum vixit apprimè doctus, adeo ut ambigeres Jurisperitum, potius diceres
Medicum, an Theologum, sed nec humaniores literas minus
calluit: I Lector, et posse mori, dole hunc,
[MOYSEION EMPSYCHON] / Posse mori dixi? Fato /
Hunc ne cedere credas, /
Cujus vel lecto /
Nomine, Fama viret.
Mr. John Bradbourne 30 Jan. 1667. Æt. 68.
On a mural monument against the east chancel wall on the north
side of the altar.
Here resteth the Bodie of William Johnson late Alderman of this
Cittie, who had Issue, by Ann his last Wife, one Sonne and three
Daughters, he departed this present Lyfe the tenth Daye of March,
in the Hope of a joyful Resurrection, A°. Dni. 1611.
Johnson, gul. on a saltier arg. five crosses moline of the field,
Arg. two fesses gul. on the 1st two birds or, on the 2d three
escalops of the field.
He is represented in his alderman's habit, kneeling at a desk; a book
lies before him, his son on his knees holds a book behind him: opposite to him, is his wife kneeling, a book lies before her on a desk, behind her are her three daughters on their knees, the first holding a
book, the two others a scull each, and on the wall between them are
the city arms.
Frances daughter of Will. Johnson 13 Sept. 1606.
There are stones in the chancel below the rails, for
Henry Pinckny and Eliz. his wife, she died 27 Sept. 1700, Æt.
86. Geo. Hall 21 June 1655. Joan his wife 8 Aug. 1666.
Barbara wife of John Hall grocer, by whom she had 4 sons and 4
daughters, one is and 7 are not, she died April 4, 1674. John
son of Geo. Hall, husband of Barbara 16 May, 1688. Eliz. Dr.
of John Hall, 7 Nov. 1688.
Bolter, a bend between two bird-bolts,
Siste Viator, et memineris,
Quòd fui, quod es, et sum, quod eris,
Memento mei, et sapiens eris,
Fac Bonum, et non morieris.
Richard Bolter gentleman, of South Creake, Sept. 30, 1623,
Hic quiesco, et expecto Resurrectionem
Mortuorum et vitam Æternam.
Mr. Will. Bolter 10 Dec. 1505. Margaret his Wife 24 Febr. 1664:
There are stones for the following persons in the church,
Eliz. Dr. of Rob. and Eliz. Wasey 1687. Rob. their son 1684.
Mary their Dr. 1668. Edw. Kettleburgh 1638. John Kettleburgh
1638, Æt. 35. Sam. Whetlock 1643. Rob. Whetlock 1644. Tho.
Penton 1675. Daniel Curtis 1681. August. son of August. Curtis
and Sarah his wife 1684. Hugh Curtis 1687. John Feake Brewer,
1638. Tho. Feake Brewer 1654. Debora his wife 1686; on this stone
is carved a scull, and these words, sic tv. Mr. John Deye 1677,
Æt. 80; on this stone, Hodie mihi, Cras tibi.
Hic jacet Corpus Ursulæ, Uxoris Willielmi Linton, sculptoris,
sepultæ 22° Dec. 1679.
Fetteplace, two chevrons and a crescent. Crest, an eagle's
Mr. Tho. Fetteplace Gent. surveyor of the King's customs in
Norwich, May 5, 1680.
Bridget Wife of Mat. Salter. who had by him 22 children, 31 Dec.
1670, Æt. 42.
Thowgh dead, yett deere,
Thowgh deere, yett dead to me,
Dead is her Body,
Deere is her Memoree.
On the church-porch are the arms of
Albany impaling Caily, and chequy, quartering a cross ingrailed,
impaling Caily, carved in stone.
In 1459, Katerine, wife of Sir Simon Felbrigge, Knt. whose city
house was in this parish, gave 16l. to a priest to sing for her here for
three years; two marks to repair the church, a vestment and furniture, and two large curtains to draw before the high-altar, of gold
In 1479, Hawise Balygate was buried in the church by John Balygate her husband, and gave a legacy to its repair.
There is an alms-house in ruins at the north-west corner of the
churchyard, founded in 1611, by Anne Johnson, widow of Alderman
Johnson aforementioned; it was inhabited formerly by five widows.
This was a rectory till 1272, in the gift of the prior and convent of
Norwich, when the Bishop appropriated it to that convent, (fn. 5) to the
office of the cellerer or keeper of the refectory there, to find the monks
table cloths, napkins, glasses, spoons, and pots, for the refectory or
common eating-hall of the convent; the whole being to be let by that
officer, who was to serve the church by a stipendiary priest, as was
always done to the Dissolution; from which time it continued in the
dean and chapter, till the 10th of March, 4 Edward VI. and then they
granted the church, churchyard, walls, bells, steeple, &c. to the mayor
and citizens for 500 years at 4d. per annum rent, it being part of
the revenues of their hospital of St. Giles in Norwich; from which
time, the nomination of the serving minister is in the mayor and aldermen, who are obliged to pay him 5l. a year out of the hospital revenues, towards serving the cure, as the convent did when it belonged
In 40 Eliz. the court sold all the bells but one, and stripped the
chancel of its lead, which they sold at 9s. a hundred.
It was valued at 40s. taxed at 20s. and paid 3d. synodals.
Before the Dissolution, the vicar of Trowse paid 10s. a year, for
the parishioners of Trowse-Milgate, or that part of Trowse on this side
of the river, all which came to this church and received the sacraments
Many lands, meadows, &c. lying in Trowse, Brakendale, Lakenham,
and Carrow, are titheable to this church; together with part of Boteler's-hills, and other lands and gardens, within the walls, all which
are exactly described in the VIth Register of the Cathedral, fo. 82.
The chancel was always repaired by the convent, who new-leaded
it in 1376, and consequently belongs now to the court.
There was very anciently an anchorage in this churchyard, which
was rebuilt in 1305, where an anchor continually resided till the Reformation, when it was pulled down, and the grange or tithe barn at
Brakendale was built with its timber.
In 1361, the minister had a chamber in the churchyard, which was
rebuilt by Brother Roger Waltone, a monk, in 1412; and as I am
informed, there is a house belonging to him, out of which, 20s. is to
be paid yearly to the poor of the parish, to be distributed on St. John's
There is service here once a fortnight.
It hath the Queen's bounty by lot, and the arbitrary contributions,
according to Dr. Prideaux, were valued at 6l. per annum.
In 1260, Rob. de Hindringham, the last rector, was presented by
the prior and convent, since which time it hath been a donative; so
that the succession of its ministers does not occur; those I have met
1307, Sir Giles, parish priest, died.
1412, Sir Will. Multone
1419, died Sir Ric. Smith, priest.
1421, Sir Robert.
1492, Brother Will. Davy, monk.
Stephen Galle, curate.
John Hales, minister.
1614, John Moyse, licensed on the nomination of the court, as all
his successours have been.
1625, Mr. Will. Merricke.
1627, Mr. Tho. Horne.
1627, Laurence Townley.
1636, Mr. Morrant, A. M.
Mr. Henry Watts.
Mr. John Burcham.
1744, The Rev. Mr. John Brooks is the present minister.
The religious concerned here were,
The Prior of Norwich, the Prioress of Carrowe, the Dean of the
chapel in the Fields, the Abbot of Wimondham, and the Abbot of
Langley, all which had houses, lands, or rents in this parish; in which
formerly many persons of distinction had their city houses; as
(14) Sir Thomas de Helgheton, Knt. whose house was called Gosehill-hall, which was confirmed to him and Alice his wife, by John
de Helghelon, (or Hillington,) his eldest brother, rector of Wramplingham.
(15) The ancient seat of the family sirnamed Of Norwich, was in
this parish, and in Henry the Third's time, was owned by Henry de
Norwich; and in 1259, by Richard his son; whose son, Henry de
Norwich, clerk, and Katerine his wife, sold it in 1282, to Henry de
Heylesdon, citizen, and Agnes his wife, in trust, for William son of
Thomas St. Omer, Knt. and Elizabeth, his wife, and Thomas, their son
and heir; who, in 1337, sold it to the Lady Maud, widow of Sir Rob.
de Thony, Knt. who sold it to James de Briseworth, otherwise called de
Blickling; and in 1370, Will. de Blickling and Lettice his wife sold
it to Lady Joan de Monteacuto or Montague; Nic. Ratcliff, Esq. lived
in it in Henry the Sixth's time; in 1485, it was the city house of the
Abbot of Wimondham, in right of his monastery; and after the
Dissolution, belonged to Sir James Hobart, Knt.
(16) The capital messuage, commonly called the Musick-house,
was anciently the great messuage of Moses the Jew, a man of great
wealth and ability in the time of Will. Rufus; he left it to Abraham
the Jew, his son; and he to Isaac the Jew, his son; from whom it
was anciently called Isaac's-Hall; from him it became an escheat
to King John, whose son Henry III. gave it to Sir William de Valeres,
Knt.; it afterwards came to Ralf de Erlham, and by him was sold to
Richard, son of Henry de Norwich, who in 1259, conveyed it to Will.
de Dunwich. In 1290, it was owned by Alan de Frestone Archdeacon
of Norfolk, at which time there was a chapel in the house; and in
1316, Sir Constantine de Mortimer, Knt. lived in it, whose chaplain,
Clement de Suffolk, priest, was then suspended for marrying two servants of Sir Constantine's in it; and the chapel was put under interdict for the future, it being proved that it was detrimental to the
church of St. Etheldred, in which parish it was situated.
In 1368, John de Catfield, rector of Stratton, was trustee to the
Lady Eve de Audelee, and Sir James de Audelee, Knt. her son, for the
place in St. Etheldred's and St. Clement's parishes in Conisford, called
Isaac's-hall; it after belonged to Sir Will. Benhall, Knt. then to the
Lady Kat. Felbrigge, widow of Sir Simon Felbrigge, Knt. then to Sir
William Yelverton, Knt. and in 1474, was the city house of William
Yelverton, Esq. by whom it was sold to Sir John Paston, Knt. who
resided in it in 1488. In 1626, John Paston, Esq. owned it; and in
1633, it was the city house of the Lord Chief Justice Coke.
Opposite to the north side of St. Etheldred's churchyard, on the
north side of Holgate-lane, stood the house of that valiant knight, Sir
Robert de Salle, who was killed by the rebels in Edward the Third's
time. (See Pt. I. p. 107.) After his death it belonged to his daughter,
Alice de Salle, and was after called Baist's-place, from some owner
of that name.
North of the musick-house is
(17) The Old Common-stathe, commonly called Town-stathe,
which is in the dissolved parish of
(18) St. Clement of Conisford.
Commonly called St. Clement at the Well, from a common well or
cistern that was near it.
This church was one of the ancient ones before the Conquest; the
advowson of it belonged to William de Wendling, in King John's time,
whose son William gave it to the abbey of his own foundation at
Wendling in Norfolk, with the houses by it, which he purchased in
1266, of Henry son of Ric de Witton; and the same year, he bought
of the city, the key or stathe, now the old common-stathe, late John
Teppay's; all which, Simon Abbot of Langley, at the request of Sir
Jeffery de Lodnes, and for three shillings annual rent paid to his convent, confirmed to Sir William de Wendlyng and his heirs, who, in
1267, settled it with 10 acres of land in Wendlyng, in which the site
of the abbey was built, and 3s. rent in Baldeswell, on the abbey of
Premonstratensian canons, that he then founded in his manor of
Wendlyng in Norfolk, by fine levied between himself and Nicholas,
abbot there; Gilbert de Fraunsham, capital lord of the fee, being present in court, and consenting.
In 1303, Robert Abbot of Wendlyng leased out the stathe; in 1352,
Thomas Abbot of Wendlyng leased out the whole to William de Middleton and Isabel his wife, for their lives; and in 1360, Roger de
Hardegrey and Joan his wife, had been possessed of the advowson,
&c. for some time, by lease for 100 years from the abbot, and by
release from Middleton and his wife; in 1378, they assigned it to
Hugh de Holland, (from whom it was called Holland's stathe,)
who conveyed all his term in it to the city, in which Will. de Holland his brother joined; and in 1456, Edmund Abbot of Wendlyng,
and the convent, released all their right in the advowson, stathe, and
houses, to the city, for 100 marks, to be paid by 20 marks a year.
And the advowson of the chapel of
(19) St. Anne, which stood by St. Anne's stathe, and had been demolished and united to St. Clement about 1370, was particularly conveyed along with it; and in 1458, it was made the common-stathe,
and a crane and publick-houses were erected at the city's charge.
In 1472, the city requested the Prioress of Carrow to permit St.
Clement to be perpetually united to their united rectories of St. Julian
and St. Edward, and that the presentation might be alternate; but
the Prioress would not consent to it; however, they were so intent
upon it, that they gave up their right in the advowson; and in 1482,
it was perpetually united to St. Julian, and the Prioress presented.
The rector of St. Julian always served this church by a parish chaplain of his own appointment, till 1549, in which year the city pretending it to be a free chapel, and consequently dissolvible by the late
act, would have no service performed there, but seized upon the ornaments of the church; the old mass book of which was brought into
the Gild-hall, to be laid up as a testimony of the right this church
had to receive the tithes of 10 acres of arable land, lying between
Nedham or St. Stephen's-gates, and Greenowmill-hill, the account of
it being entered there.
In 1550, the city sold to Leonard Sotherton and John Rede, the
bells, the lead of the north isle, and the whole steeple as low as the
church roof, in which condition it now remains ; the whole
being standing still, though converted to secular uses.
In 1559, the court resolved to sell the church and churchyard; and
accordingly, at the assembly held on St. Matthias's day, the year following, they sealed a deed of it to Thomas Keteringham and his heirs
for ever, since which time it hath continued a private property as it
The synodals payable from this church were 6d. The
I have met with are,
1309, Alan de Dunham. The Abbot of Wendling.
1317, Simon de Salthus. Sir John de Thorp, Knt. by grant
from the Abbot.
John de Thornedon, resigned.
1334, Nic. de Specteshale.
1340, Simon Fest of Ixworth, priest.
John de Ashult, resigned. Will. de Midleton.
1359, Tho. de Derham. Roger Hardegrey.
1482, John Boor was instituted to the perpetual united rectories of
St. Julian, St. Edward, and St. Clement of Conisford, with the chapel
of St. Anne annexed, from which time it became part of St. Julian's
parish, as it now remains. In
1508, the Mayor would have had it disunited from St. Julian's,
and accordingly presented Dr. John Tacolneston, alias Browne, a monk
of Norwich, who was instituted to it, and enjoyed it some time, but it
was ever after presented to with St. Julian. In.
1438, Adam Gosselyn was buried in the church, and ordered his
executors to lead the top of the then new built steeple. In
1451, John Stathe, chaplain, gave a green vestment, a processionary, and a scarlet worsted curtain for the altar.
In 1458, Kat. Marchale gave a silver tablet and chain to St. Anne's
chapel in St. Clement's church.
In 1499, Tho. Pekke, chaplain, was buried in the church.
The religious concerned here, were the Prioress of Carrow, the
Abbots of Langley and Wendling, the Dean of the chapel in the Field,
and the Prior of Norwich.
In this parish was
(20) Thorp's-Place, which was first the city house of Sir William
de Roying or Rochyng, Knt. sheriff of Norfolk in 1284, after that, of
Ralf de Rochyng, who sold it to Sir William de Thorp in 1290; it was
afterwards John de Lek's, whose son, Master Laurence de Lek, sold
it in 1331 to the Lady Margaret, widow of Sir Hubert de Multon, Knt.
Lady of Surlingham, and Edmund, her son, rector of Warham St.
Mary, and they conveyed it soon after to Will. de Bois of Surlingham,
and in 1438, Will. de Surlyngham aforesaid, by will, gave it to Cicily
In 1333, Sir Simon de Hethersete, Knt. had a house in this parish.
(21) The Priests Tenements, were so called, because the priest
of St. Clement usually dwelt in them; Edmund Aggys, priest, vicar
of Easton, owned them in 1470; and in 1548, they belonged to Sir
Thomas Palmer, parish chaplain here.
(22) St. Julian's Church
Was founded before the Conquest, and was given to the nuns of Carhoe by King Stephen, their founder; it hath a round steeple and but
one bell; the north porch and nave are tiled, and the chancel is
thatched; at the west end by the font, is a brass plate for
John Lulman 1637, æt. 58. Michael Lulman Worsted Weaver
1614. James Son of Captain John Lulman 1680. Rob. Son
of Robert Lulman 1660. Edward Son of Rob. and Anne Lulman 1675. James, Son of James and Anne Fremow Dr. of
Robert Lulman 1711. Edw. Gay Gent. 1709. Mary Wife of
John Brough Gent. Relict of Edw. Gay, Dr. of Capt. Rob. Lulman 1730, æt. 74. Anne Dr. of Edw. & Mary Gay 1694.
Crest a demi-fox proper.
Lulman, az. a fox seiant arg. impaling two gauntlets in
Charles Lulman late rector of Posswick, 18 Febr. 1697.
Martha Wife of Robert Lulman Junior, 1704, æt. 33. Ann
Wife of Captain Robert Lulman 1709. Capt. Robt. Lulman
1709, æt. 88. Rob. Lulman of Great Yarmouth Gent. 1725,
Here lies John Lulman, all may say,
(Baker) who died the 11th of May,
A°. nostri Domini, the Son,
There are other stones for,
Thamasine Dr. of Ric. Cristen 1687. Edw. Hickes 1669. William Money 1723. Eliz. Wife of John Morley 16 -- Edw.
Tomson 1669. another Edw. Tomson 1669. Math: Tomson
1677. Mrs. Ann Doily 1663. Mary Dr. of Will. Selth 1720.
And within the altar rails lies Alderman Tho. Dunch 1715, æt. 66.
and Henrietta-Maria Waldegrave his Grandaughter.
This rectory, when it was single, was taxed at half a mark, and the
rector had a house belonging to it; after the first three were annexed,
they were valued at 3l. 6s. 3d. in the King's books; Dr. Prideaux
says, it had 7l. per annum certain endowment, and the arbitrary contributions were about 8l. per annum: it was sworn of the clear yearly
value of 19l. 13s. 1d. and so is capable of augmentation. Here is
service once a fortnight.
There was an image of St. Julian in a niche in the wall of the
church, in the churchyard.
In 1323, Andrew de Acre settled 5s. a year out of a house in this
parish, viz. 30d. to keep a torch burning before the holy-rood in this
church, and 30d. for the like in St. Michael's church in Conisford.
Nic. son of John Page, and Christian his wife, was buried in the
churchyard of St. Julian the King and Confessor, [which shows
that it was not dedicated to St. Julian the Bishop, nor St. Julian the
Virgin,] by the tomb of Kat. his wife, daughter and heiress of Will.
de Lindesey, burgess of Lyn; he gave 200l. in clothing and victuals
to the poor of Norwich and Lyn, legacies to Henry his brother, rector
of Bixley, and to all the orders of friars.
In 1459, Kat. widow of Alex. Buxton, was buried in the churchyard, and gave a vestment of worsted work to the altar.
In 1493, Eliz. Knowte, widow, was buried by her husband in the
church, and gave 5l. to make a foot of silver gilt for the crucifix in
the church, that was bought by her husbands, Tho. Ellys, and John
Knowte, for St. Agnes's altar there.
The religious concerned here were, the Abbot of Waborne, whose
temporals were taxed at 8s. 4d. the Prioress of Carrowe, the Prior of
Norwich, and Dean of the chapel in the Fields.
Of St. Edward and St. Julian.
1305, Hugh de Creyk. Prioress of Carrow.
1308, Sir Nic. de Holm.
1344, Will. de Catton.
1349, Jeffry Attewell of Tofts.
1361, Thomas Whiting of Specteshall. He was buried in the church,
and gave five marks for a new window in the chancel.
1379, Roger Grylle of Woodrising.
1396, Will. Tillere of Cretyng, changed in
1397, with Nic. Hales, for Langham-Parva, and he in
1412, with Edm. Coupere, for Surlingham.
Edm. Beel, died in 1420.
1420, Rob. Steynton of Norwich.
1421, Robert Steynton of Wilton. He was buried in the chancel
before the image of the Virgin Mary, at the south-east corner of the
high-altar, and gave a vestment of gold tissue to this church.
1441, John Valans, R.
1454, Ric. Lombe, died rector.
1460, Rob. Markham, lapse, resigned.
1464, John Chateriz.
1476, Rob. Pygot.
of St. Julian, St. Edward, and St. Clement in Cunesford,
1482, John Boor.
1492, Will Thursford, lapse.
Tho. Toly, resigned.
1508, Tho. Taverner, lapse.
1581, Gawin Browne; Anne Shelton, widow, who owned Carrow abbey.
1589, Tho. Woodward. Charles Cornwaleis, Esq. and Anne
1624, Nic. Toll, resigned. Humfry May.
1634, Laurence Townly. Judith May, widow; he died rector.
1642, Rob. Tyte. Ditto. He was sequestered, and forced from
his wife and two children, but lived to be reinstated, and died rector.
1685, Car. Robyns, resigned. Nat. Axtell, Esq.
1688, Steph. Grigges. Ditto. United to All-Saints.
1691, Will. Dalton, died rector.
1704, Henry Shepey. Nat. Axtell, Esq. united to All-Saints.
In 1737, St. Julian with St. Edward, and St. Clement, and the chapel of St. Anne annexed, were consolidated to All-Saints in Berstreet.
In the east part of this churchyard stood an anchorage, in which
an ankeress or recluse dwelt till the Dissolution, when the house was
demolished, though the foundations may still be seen: in 1393, Lady
Julian, the ankeress here, was a strict recluse, and had two servants to
attend her in her old age, Ao. 1443. This woman, in those days, was
esteemed one of the greatest holiness. The Rev. Mr. Francis Peck,
author of the Antiquities of Stanford, had an old vellum MSS. 36 quarto
pages of which, contained an account of the visions, &c. of this woman, which begins thus, "Here es a Vision schewed be the Goodenes
of God, to a devoute Woman, and hir Name is Julian that is
Recluse atte Norwyche, and yitt ys on Life, Anno Domini M. CCCC.
XLII. In the whilke Vision er fulle many comfortabyll Wordes
& greatly styrrande to alle they that desyres to be Crystes
Looverse." In 1472, Dame Agnes was recluse here. In 1481, Dame
Elizabeth Scott. In 1510, Lady Elizabeth. In 1524, Dame Agnes
Now because there were many of these anchorets and anchoresses in
this city, and few know what they were, I shall observe, that they
were a sort of monks, properly called anachorites, from [anachoreo], which
signifies to retire, as they did, wholly out of the world: they were also
termed recluses or incluses, from their being shut up in their cells or
anchorages; of these there were two sorts, the eremite or hermit, so
called from the [erimos] or wilderness, that he lived in, after the example of Elias, and John the Baptist; and the recluse or anchoress,
who pretended to follow the example of Judith. The most perfect
account I have seen of them, occurs in Becon's Reliques of Rome,
As touching the Monasticall Sect of Recluses, and such as be
shutte up within Walles, there unto Death continuall to remayne,
geving themselves to the Mortification of carnal Effectes, to the
Contemplation of Heavenly and Spirituall Things, to Abstinence,
to Praier, and to such other ghostly Erercises, as Men dead to the
Worlde, and havying their Lyfe hidden with Christ: I have not to
write: forasmuch as I can not hitherto fynde probably in any Au
thor, whence the Profession of Anckers and Anckresses had the
Beginning t Foundation, although in this Behalf I have talked
with Men of that Profession, which could very little or nothing say
in the matter. Norwithstanding as the White Fryers father that
Order on the Propbet falsy) so likewise do the Ankers
and Ankresses, make that holy and vertuous Matrone their
Patronesse and Foundresse. But how unaptly, who seeth not?
Their Profession and Religion diffreth as far from the maners of
Judith, as Light from Darknesse, or God from the Devill, as it shall
manefestly appere to them that will diligentlye conferre the History
of Judith with their Life and Conversation. Judith made her selfe
a privy Chamber where she dwelt (sayth the Scripture) being closed
in with her Maydens. Our Recluses also close theym selves
within the Walles, but they suffer no Man to be there with them.
Judith ware a Smocke of heare: but our Recluses are both softly
t finely apparaled. Judith fasted all the Dans of her Lyfe, few
ercepted. Our Recluses eate and drinke at all Tymes of the beste,
being of the number of them,
Judith was a Woman of very good Report, Our Recluses
are reported to be supersticious and idolatrous Persons, and such as
all good Men flye their Company. Judith feared the Lord greatly,
and lyved according to his Holy Word. Our Recluses fear the Pope,
and gladly doe what his pleasure is to command them. Judith
lyved of her own Substance and Goods putting no Man to Charge,
Our Reclases as persons only borne to consume the good Fruites or
the Erth, lyve idely of the Labour of other Mens Handes. Judith,
when Tyme required, came out of her Closet to do good unto other.
Our Recluses never come out of their Lobbeies, sincke or swimme
the People. Judith put her Self in Jeopardy for to do good to the
commune Countrey. Our Recluses are unprofitable Cloddes of the
Earth, doing good to no Man. Who seeth not now, how farre our
Ankers and Ankresses differre from the Manners and Life of this
vertuous and godly Woman Judith, so that they can not iustly
claime her to be their Patronesse? Of some idle and supersticious
Heremite, borowed they their idle and supersticious Religion. For
who knoweth not, that our Recluses have Grates of Yron in theyr
Spelunckes t Dennes, out of the which they looke, as Owles oute
of an Yvye Todde, when they will vouchesafe to speake with any
Man at whose Hand they hope for Aduantage? So reade me
that John the Heremite so inclosed himself in his
Heremitage, that not Person came in unto him, to them that came to
visite him, he spake thorow a Windowe onely. Our Ankers and
Ankresses professe nothing but a solitary Lyfe led in Contemplacion
all the Days of their Lyfe, in their hallowed House wherein they are
inclosed, wyth the Home of Obedience to the Pope, and to their
ordinary Bishop. Their Apparell is indifferent, so it be dissonant
from the Laity. No kynd of Meates they are forbidden to eat. At
Midnight they are bound to say certain Praiers. Their Profession
is counted to be among all other Professions so hardye t so streight,
that they may by no means be suffred to come out of their Houses."
(23) The Friars of the order of our Lady, called Fratres de
Domina, were a sort of begging friars, under the rule of St. Austin;
they wore a white coat, and a black cloak thereon, with a black
friar's cowl, and had their beginning about 1288, the order being devised by Philip, who got it confirmed by the Pope: they were introduced here very early, for in 1290, Rog. de Tubenham gave a legacy
to the friars of St. Mary. Their house stood on the south side of
this churchyard, and the east end abutted on the street. They continued here till Edward the Third's time, and then dying in the great
pestilence, their house became afterwards a private property, and as
such hath continued ever since.
Robert Rufus, or the Red, in Henry the Second's time, built a
capital messuage here, which in Henry the Third's time was called the
(24) Stone-house, and belonged to Ralf Waukel, and after that
to Will. de Donewico or Dunwich, who gave it to St. Giles's hospital.
In 1296, the Lady Cecily de Howe, Prioress of Carrowe, had
(25) House for the Prioresses to come to when they pleased, on
the land formerly given them by Rob. de Possewick, which about
1300, was sold by the convent for a rent of 6s. per annum, to Will.
Virly, whose son Andrew jointly with Beatrix his wife, sold it to Sir
John le Breton, Knt. lord of Sporle, who by will in'1310, gave it to
Nicholas his son. In 1328, John de London, rector of S. Creyk,
owned it, whose executors sold it to John de Holveston, of whom
Lady Joan, widow of Sir Rob. de Inglose, Knt. purchased it, and
gave it to be sold to find masses to be sung for her soul; and in 1568,
John de Herling bought it of her executors, and sold it again to Mr.
Tho. de Rickinghall, clerk. It was afterwards sold by John de Yelverton to Agnes Lady Bardolf, and Sir Miles Stapleton, her trustee;
and was after called Bardolf's-Place.
The capital messuage called
(26) Gournay's-Place, from Ant. Gournay, owner of it, hath
the arms of the Gournays, viz, arg. a cross ingrailed gul. still remaining in the parlour windows; as also Gournay impaling Calthorp,
Malmains, Woodhouse of Waxham, &c.
In 1558, it was the city house of Thomas Gawdy, Esq. whose arms
impaling Warner and Bassingbourn and his quarterings, may still be
seen. It afterwards belonged to Will. Paston, Esq. and after to John
Adjoining to the north side of this, was the key anciently called
Kyrmer-hoppe, with a messuage belonging to the Berneys.
(27) The messuage of Sir Miles Stapleton, Knt. adjoined north to
the former, which was afterwards Edw. Grey's, Esq.
(28) And to the north side of that, joined the house of Sir Will.
Boleyn, Knt. and after that, of the Lady Anne Boleyn.
(29) Meddeyz-Inn took its name from Roger Midday, who in
the beginning of Edward the Third's time, purchased it of the abbot
and canons of Wouburn; whose son William, in 1335, sold it to
Will. Clere of Ormesby, who rebuilt it, and made it the city house for
that family; it after was owned by the Berfords, Briggs, and Elyses;
and in 1544, James Marsham, grocer, gave it at his death to Cicily
his wife, and John his son, and his heirs: in 1626, Nic. Elliet had it,
and it after came to the Cooks; Thomas Cooke, Esq. being the
present owner. It is now the sign of the three Merry Wherrymen,
and the arms of Monthermer may still be seen in the windows there.