(79) The Parish of St. Giles
Is also a small ward, (fn. 1) and is part of the New Burgh, (see Pt. I. p. 20,)
made in the Conqueror's time, when the church was founded by Elwyn the priest, in his own estate, and was given by him to the monks
of Norwich, after he had procured an indulgence of 20 days pardon,
to all persons that would come and offer here, on St. Giles's day, or
seven days after, and Theobald Archbishop of Canterbury appropriated
it to the monks; (fn. 2) it being then a rectory that paid 6d. synodals to the
Bishop, whose jurisdiction this parish is subject to, as also to that of
the Archdeacon of Norwich.
It was afterwards settled by the monks on their infirmary, and no
vicarage being endowed, it was always served by a parish chaplain,
and is a donative in the dean and chapter, who appoints the chaplain,
and the Bishop licenses him. In ancient evidences it is called St.
Giles on the Hill, and that very properly, it being on a very great
eminence, whence the lower part of the city appears as a large valley,
which makes a most beautiful prospect; it is often called St. Giles
of Over New-port, and sometimes of Potter-gate. The rectory, at the
appropriation, was valued at 40s.
The tower is large, square, and very lofty, being 40 yards high, for
which reason in 1549, a cresset or large lantern for a fire beacon was
fixed on its top; (fn. 3) there is now a clock and eight bells, two trebles
beind added in 1737. The great bell (fn. 4) is rung daily the winter half
year at six in the morning, (fn. 5) and eight at night, and at five in the
morning and nine at night the summer half year. The nave, two
isles and south porch, are all leaded; the chancel was quite demolished in 1581, when the dean and chapter gave to the trustees of this
parish, "all the lead, timber, iron, and stone, which did come and
remain of the decayed chancel of this church, for a stock to be put
out for the encouragement of poor traders in this parish," (fn. 6) by which
means they eased themselves of all repairs at once, for the chancel
belonged and was to be maintained by them. There was a hermitage
in the churchyard, and in 1428, Sir Richard was hermit here. There
was also a cross, and an image of the Trinity in a niche in the wall
on the west side of the steeple.
In the west end of the south isle there was a chapel, altar, and
image of St. Catherine, with a light burning before it; and against
one of the pillars, there was a famous rood called the Brown-rood.
There was a gild of St. Mary kept before the altar of the Virgin of
Pity. The west window in the north isle, was adorned with the
history of our Lord's passion; and there were lights (either wax tapers,
or lamps) burning before the images of St. Mary, St. John Baptist,
St. Christopher, (whose effigies, of a monstrous size, (fn. 7) with his staff
sprouting by him, was painted over the north door,) St. Giles, St.
Unkumber, and St. Wilegesortis; besides those that continually
burned before the holy-rood or cross, the holy sepulchre, and the
Persons buried in this church as appears by their wills, are: 1424,
Rob. son of Will. de Dunston and Cecily his wife, by Christian his
first wife, and ordered Margaret his second wife, to give 5l. towards
repairing the tower. 1448, Henry Pykyng, by the south nave door
by St. Catherine's altar. 1459, Christian, relict of John Brosyard,
buried in the south porch by her husband. 1496, Ric. Gosslin, in
the yard at the steeple's end, before the image of the Blessed Trinity,
and gave a legacy to the brown-rood on the pillar. 1506, John
Carter, in the nave; in which there are modern stones for, Susan
wife of Will. Copman, 1737, 87. Will. Copeman 1719, 72. Near
the font Eliz. relict of Colonel Cobbe, late of Sandringham-hall,
1698. A wife of Roope daughter of Ansell, Esq. 1687. James Finch,
1699, 45. John Ansell, Esq. 1693. Anne his widow, 1695. Francis
On brass plates in the nave, beginning at the west end,
Under thses Stonys lyght Thomas Colchester (fn. 8) and
His Wyt Jone, on hose Sowlys God have Mercy. Amen.
Near this was another plate, now loose in the vestry, on which
Orate pro anima Alice Tyllys filie Johannis
Tyllis et Dionisie Uroris eius, Generosorum.
Of yomer Charyte pray for the Sowlys that her lyth,
Of Thomas Herby I Clare his Wyfe. Amen.
Orate pro anima Will. Knappe.
Hic iacet Agnes Heryng que obiit nono die Decembris Anno Dni.
Millimo' cccc. rir. cuius anime propicietur Deus Amen.
In the middle of the nave, is a stone with the effigies of a mayor in
his robes, and his wife by him. There are three shields lost, and one
with his merchant mark remainining,
Hic iacet Robertus Barter quondam Maior Cibitatis Norwici
qui obiit tercio die Mail Anno Dni: Millmo. cccco. rrriio, et Cris
tiana Uror eius, quorum animabus propicietur Deus Amen.
Robert Baxter, merchant, was buried before the great rood in
1429, and gave 20l. for a suit of vestments; 12 marks for a missal,
and 7 marks for a gilt silver cup; and in 1470, Ric. Baxter, Gent.
was buried by his mother in the church, and gave a jewel and pair
of silver cruets.
Orate pro anima Margarete Landysdale quondam Uroris
Roberti Landysdale Armigeri que obiit rbio die Mensis Marcii
anno dni. Milio. cccco Liiiio. ruius anime, prapicietur Deus Amen.
A stone without any inscription, hath these arms on a brass plate,
Crest, a blackamoor's head with a turban, on his neck a
1. a maunch erm. surmounted by a bend, quarters a chevron,
between three cushions lozenge tasselled, impaling a chevron, between three pheons inverted.
On another stone now partly covered by the altar step, are the
effigies of a mayor, with a dog at his feet, and his wife by him, and
this, though now covered,
Orate pro animabus Ricardi Purdaunce quondam Maioris
istius Cibitatis, qui obiit in Festo Sancti Marci Ebangeliste
Anno Dni. Millimo: cccco rrro. serto et Domina Margareta Uror
eius quorum animabus propicietur Deus, Amen.
In 1481, Margaret wife of Ric. Purdaunce, buried at the west end
by her husband.
On a brass plate,
Sorori Francisce sve.
S. R. Q. P.
My Name speaks what I was, and am, and have,
A Bedding Field, a Peece of Earth, a Grave,
Where I expect, untill my Soul shall bring,
Unto the Field, an everlasting Spring.
For Rayse, and Rayse, out of the Earth & Slime,
God did the first, and will the second Time.
Obijt. die 10 Maij 1637.
The Body of Elizabeth Forby
Under this Stone doe ly,
Whom God has pleased out of this World to take
Betimes, that she a blessed Saint might make.
Aged 7 Yeares, died Aug. 20. 1675.
In the north isle near the east end, lie two black marbles, that
most north hath a hand holding a crown, and over it on a scroll,
Coronam Spero Coelestem.
And under it three cherubs.
JUDITHÆ CROSS-GROVE amicissimæ necnon dilectissimæ Consortis HENRICI CROSS-GROVE, Typographi Norvicensis (Subter memorati) Quod Reliquum, in hoc Sepulchro
repositum est. Commissa erat Mortalitati vicesimo primo
Januarij 1682, super Æthera autem erepta, (candidissimam animam Deo reddere) septimo Februarij 1742. Laudabiliter multæ
fecerunt, ipsa vero superavit Omnes. Supremum munus Maritus
Spe non exiguâ lætæ Resurrectionis
Exuviæ Henrici Cross-Grove,
Typographi Norvicensis, subter sunt humatæ,
In Orbe minimè tranquillo,
Dolenter migravit Aug. 14, 1683.
Ad snperos necnon alacriter evasit,
Sept. 12, 1744.
That most south is laid in memory of, Joseph Brooke, Dec. 22,
1709. William his Son Dec. 8, 1717. Joseph Son of William 1741,
28. Ecc. xii. i. Remember thy Creator, &c.
On brasses here,
Hic iacet Henricus Pool Capellanus qui obiit decimo die Junit
Anna Dni: Mo Moccccorliio. ruius anime propiecietur Deus Amen.
Rachell Dr. of Kugh Spendlobe of Wrorham Gent. late Wife
of Henry Moulton ob. 3. nob. 1615.
Orate pro anima Roberti Cowper, cuius anime propricietur Deus,
Ao. Dni. Mo. bc. rrio.
Rob. Lee 1683. Daniel Son of Augustine and Sarah Curtis
1675. Margaret Wife of John Baker, 1679.
On brass plates in the south isle, beginning at the west end,
A cup and wafer, and this,
Orate pro anima Johannis Smyth Capellani qui obiit biio. dic.
Novembr. Anno Dni. Mocccco lrrrriro. cuius anime propicietur
Grate pro anima Agnetis Sheltun, et pro omnibus Benefarto
rithus suis pro quibus cenebatur que obiit rrbiio hie Decembr. Anno
Dni. Millimo, cccco lrrr biii. cuius anime propicietur Deus, Amen.
Eliz. Robinson Widow, 1712, 76. John Raining 1722, 63.
Frances his Wife 1730, 59. Mrs. Cath. Blome 1676.
Carter, arg. a chevron sab. between three cart wheels vert,
Manning, gul. a cross patonce between four trefoils or.
Tho. Carter Gent. who married Anne Dr. of Sam. Manning
of Diss Gent. Oct. 2, 1730, Æt. 54.
Braham, sab. a cross or, with a crescent for difference.
Robert eldest Son of John Braham of Wickham-Skeith in
Suff. Gent. 1691.
There is a most neat mural monument against the south wall, of
the modern Italick composure, in imitation of a picture framed, properly enriched; on the top of it are the arms of
Churchman, arg. two fesses; on a chief sab. two pallets of the
field, impaling sab. on a chevron between three croslets floree or,
three roses gul. with this motto,
Mens sibi Conscia Recti.
Sacred to the Memory of Alderman THOMAS CHURCHMAN, who died universally lamented, the sixth of Aprill 1742,
More west, against the same wall, is another monument of divers
kinds of marble, in which an urn is placed upon a sarcophagus.
The crest is a demi-talbot gul. collared and chained or, on a
wreath az. and or.
Snell, quarterly gul. and az. a cross floree or, impaling
Browne, sab. three lions passant in bend, between two double
M. S. ROBERTI SNELL Generosi, Viri, popularibus suis
ob mores integros, Fidemq; spectatam charissimi: Egenis per
vitæ spacium usque Liberalis, nec minus in Funere evasit, Ecclesiæ qualis, quantusq; Benefactor, huic Parochiæ DONA satis
Patrem habuit Rob. Snell Gen. qui ob. 4°. Oct. 1720. Æt. suæ 59°.
Matrem, Elizabetham, quæ ob. 9°. Maij 1720. Æt. suæ 49°.
Fratrem, Edwardum M. D. qui ob. 27, Sept. 1733. Æt. suæ 40°.
Uxorem Duxit Elizabetham, Gulielmi Browne de Elsing in
Com. Norf. Arm. et Annœ Uxoris ejus, Filiam, quæ obijt 31°.
Oct. Anno Dom. MDCCXXVII°. Ætat. 32°. et apud Elsing
cum suis sepulta jacet, alteram habuit Uxorem Margaretam,
Antonij et Margaretœ Ransome, de Civitate Norwicensi, Natam,
quæ obijt 15° Oct. Ano. Dni. MDCCXXXV°. Ætat. 38°. Tandem
Familiæ solus superstes Robertus, Ipse morti succubuit, 17° Nov.
MoDCCXXXVIIIo. Ætat. 47°. et suorum potius quam suæ
Memoriæ, hoc Monumentum poni piè mandavit.
He gave a noble set of plate for the service of the altar, upon
which, the branch hanging in the church was bought with the old
plate; there are two flaggons double gilt, as the whole set is, one
weighs above 51 ounces, and the other above 49. On each are these
Poculum Benedictionis cui Benedicimus, nonne Communicatio
Sanguinis Christi est.
Two cups with covers, one weighs 22 ounces, and the other above
21, on each of which is this,
Calix Laïcis, non est denegandus.
On a neat paten weighing above 22 ounces,
Panis quem frangimus, Nonne Communicatio Corporis Christi est?
On an offering bason weighing above 31 ounces,
Beatum est dare, potìus quam accipere.
ROBERTUS SNELL GENEROSUS,
Hæc Vasa deaurata ex abundanti suâ Generositate
Ecclesiæ Sti. Ægidij,
D. D. C.
Ut omnia fierent decenter.
They are buried before the altar, where there lies a black marble
with the arms of Snell, and their several names inscribed thereon.
In the north isle, near the door, is another mural monument, on
which are the arms of
Paine, or, a chevron verry arg. and az. between three lions
rampant az. impaling.
Crest, an ostrich's head erased or, holding in its beak a horseshoe arg.
Prov. xiv. xxi. He that hath Mercy, &c.
Adrian Payne Gent. and some time Sherife and Alderman
of this Citie, was interred in this Vault the 4th Day of May 1686,
who gave a hundred and twenty Pounds to this Parish of St.
Giles for ever, for the clothing of poor Men and Women in
Gownes once every Year, in the Moneth of November, as farre
as the annual Profits of the said Summe would extend. For the
Performance whereof, a Peice of Land or Inclosure knowne by
the Name of the Lower Church-Close in Hanworth, of the
north side of that Church, contayning about fourteene Acres, &c.
is settled and secured by Rob. Doughty of the said Towne in the
County of Norfolk Gent. (being Son in Law to the said Adrian)
for the Payment of six Pounds per Ann. for ever, upon the last
Day of October in each Yeare, (fn. 9) to those in Trust, to see this
Charitie disposed, who are to be tenn in number, Inhabitants of
this Parish, and are to be renewed by the remainder, at the Request of the Parishioners hereof, when six or seven at most of
the said ten be dead.
In 1528, Edward Grewe, chaplain here, gave his messuage,
yard, &c. to the parish for ever, "toward repayring the church, or
releving the Pore." They were vested in trustees, and have continued so ever since, and were lately leased out for 500 years to Thomas
Andrews, carpenter, at 3l. per annum rent charge, to be paid by half
yearly payments at Lady and Michaelmas, in the church porch, and
for want of payment the feoffees may seize the premises. This messuage stands on the north side of the street, between the church and
the gates, not far from the lane leading by the steeple: and adjoining
to the west side of this messuage, are the parish houses formerly
The alms-houses, which were heretofore three tenements near
the common-well, given Oct. 17, 1583, by the will of John Balliston, to be vested in feoffees, who are to permit and suffer the churchwardens to receive the clear yearly profits, and to "make distribucion to the poore in manner and fourme following, (fn. 10) that is to sey,
the weke before Michaelmas, the weke afore Christmas, and the
weke after Easter, in the church of St. Giles, and the ministre shall
then request the pore people, all they that receive almes, (fn. 11) and all
other that have need of Almes, to come to church these three days
beforeseid, being flesh daies, and he shall say service, and request
them to pray to God, for the preservacion of the prince and of the
nobell councell, and give thanks to God, for that it pleased God, to
incline his harte, that gave this distribution, and they shall place
their selves fower and fower together, that be above the age of
eleaven yeres, and every fower of them, shall have sett before them
a twopenny wheat loffe, and a galland of beste bere, and fower
pound of beef and broth, as it rise off the meate, and in their own
vessels, as it is already begonne and the minister shall have for
every of the seid thre daies, fower pence for his paynes, and this to
be done yerely." March 20, 1735, they were conveyed by the feoffees by way of lease for 500 years to Stephen Cullyer, mason, for a
clear rent charge of 40s. per annum payable at Lady and Michaelmas
in St. Giles's church porch, with power to seize on the premises for
non-payment. The money is distributed to the poor as directed;
and the distribution is called St. Giles's-feast.
The houses called the Pit-houses from a common pit formerly on
their south side, stand on the triangular piece opposite to the southeast part of the churchyard. They were given to the parish in 1509,
by James Wadnow and John Mason, chaplains, being then a messuage and 3 renters, &c.; the feoffees are to permit the church-wardens
to receive the profits, who are to lay the whole out annually in repairing or adorning the church of St. Giles, at their own discretion; there
are always to be ten feoffees, and when eight are dead, the parish to
choose eight new ones, and the two old ones must renew to them.
Sept. 14, 1726, the feoffees leased the whole out for 500 years to Will.
Foster, mason, at 6l. per annum, clear of all taxes, to be paid every
Lady and Michaelmas, by even portions, and for want of payment,
the premises may be seized.
1650, Dec. 20, the parishioners purchased of William Gargrave,
innholder, and Alice his wife, an annuity of 30s. per annum, payable
to the church-wardens, out of all the houses lately called the Ram,
and now the Black-swan inn, in St. Giles's-street, opposite to the
church, to be paid every 9th day of Dec. and if it be unpaid
20 days after, they may seize the premises. This was purchased
with money given by Mary Godwyn, late of this parish, for the benefit of the poor; and accordingly it is distributed every New-year's day
by the church-wardens and overseers, in bread or money.
1612, Thomas Pye, alderman, and Anne his wife, settled the almshouses in St. Gregory's for the uses expressed at p. 222, "the places
to be filled by the three most ancient justices of peace for the
county of the city, being aldermen, or any two of them." (fn. 12)
In 1479, Edmund Bukenham, Esq. gave a tenement in this parish
to find a lamp before the high-altar here, and before the sepulchre
yearly at Easter in St. Mary's college in the Fields, but it was seized
at the Reformation.
In 1502, Nic. Coliche, alderman, gave 5l. to purchase 5s. a year, to
help the poorest of the parish to pay their taxes, but this money is
lost long agone.
(80) God's-house, was given for an alms-house, by John le Grant
in Edward the First's time, and in 1310, was confirmed by Thomas his
son, to the parish; it was in St. Giles's-street in lower Newport, and
was rebuilt by Bishop Lyhert, whose arms, with those of the see, were
on each side of the old Gate-house before it was pulled down; but
the nomination of the poor people to inhabit here, being in the
Bishop, (though they were to be parishioners,) it was seized with the
rest of the revenues of the see, and so became a private property ever
since. The old house was pulled down by Mr. Rob. Gamble, who
built the present house standing on its site.
There was formerly a hermit dwelling over St. Giles's-gates: and
just on the outside of them, was a leper-house, founded in Edward
the Third's time, by Balderic or Baudry de Taverham, who in 1343,
settled it for that use on the city, as his original deed now in the Gildhall, in old French, shows us. It was not dissolved, but continued an
hospital or sick-house, as long as the house at St. Stephen's-gates,
which see at p. 167.
The nave of the church and two isles, are 27 yards long, the isles
are four yards wide each, and the nave is eight yards wide. The
whole was rebuilt at once in Richard the Second's time, together with
the tower; which is the reason it is so neat and uniform a building;
it appears that the families of Scales, Thorp, Clifton, Caily,
Shelton, Calthorp, and Vaus, were great benefactors to it; their
arms now are, or lately were, in the windows, together with or, a lion
rampant gul.; gul. in a bordure or, a cross arg.; gul. on a chevron arg.
three roses proper. The principals of the roof are supported by
angels holding shields, on which England and France quartered, St.
George. The arms of the Priory, arg. a cross humettè gul. &c.
The two least bells were added in 1738, and the third and fourth
were made in 1619; there were three bells originally here, and an
old Gabriel bell, which was added as a treble to them.
5. Hac in conclabe, Gabriel nunc pange suabe.
6. Missus hero pie Gabriel fert leta Marie.
7. Celi Regina, languentibus sit Medicina. (fn. 13)
8. Cripler Persona Crinitas, nunc Gaudia Dona.
On an altar tomb on the north-east part of the churchyard:
To the Memory of Mr. William Goddard, who having for
some time apply'd himself to Trade, with strict Punctuality and
great Probity, closed thist emporary scene in a prudent Retirement: His Ability and Disposition to be serviceable, endearing him
to the Affection of his Acquaintance, render'd his latter Days more
extensively usefull, and made his loss sustain'd by his Death sensibly felt, and justly lamented. He died the 6 of March 1742, in
the 47th Year of his Age. Also two of his Children, viz. Mansfield
Goddard died the 28 July, 1743, aged 12 Years, and Sarah died
in her Infancy.
1403, Sir Walter.
1442, Sir Henry Pool, buried here.
1466, Tho. Thirlby, buried in the nave.
1466, Peter Williams.
1490, Rich. Lister.
1493, Tho. Smith, buried before the window of Christ's passion,
at the west end of the south isle.
1499, John Smith, buried in the south isle.
1506, William Cristian.
1528, Edward Grewe, the benefactor to the parish.
1439, Sir Peter Hobbs.
In 1586, the dean and chapter leased the whole rectory, tithes, and
offerings, &c. to Will. Crumpton, clerk, for his life, he serving or procuring the living to be duly served, at his expense.
In 1587, Crumpton assigned his lease to the parishioners, who chose
John Lowe their parish chaplain; (fn. 14) he died in 1626, and was succeeded
by Mr. Ric. Gamon.
In 1650, deans and chapters being laid aside, Henry Drewry was
instituted rector, and appointed Will. Stinnet his curate; he continued
rector till his death, about 1678, and then the dean and chapter leased
it to Tho. Blome.
1680, John Shaw.
1690, Isaac Girling.
Bishop Trimnel and dean Prideaux were parish chaplains here some
1709, John Havet.
1714, John Paul.
Mr. Will. Bentham.
The present  minister is the Rev. Dr. John Gardiner, rector
of Great Massingham and Brunsted, and minister of St. Gregory's in
The religious concerned here were, the Abbot of Sibton, taxed for
temporals at 2s. 6d.; the Prior of Hickling 6s.; the Prioress of Carrow
6s. 3d.; the Dean of the chapel in the Fields 8s. 6d. and the Prior of
Norwich 10s. which were small rents appropriated to the infirmary and
cellerer. Escawin, with the consent of Muriel his wife, gave his lands
and houses by this church, to the convent, for their souls; (fn. 15) and the
monks received them into their fraternity, granting them to be
honourably among them. In 1293, Henry, son of Henry le Counte
of Norwich, formerly one of the butler's to Henry I. gave them a
house in Pottergate.
In Dr. Prideaux's account, the whole is said to be arbitrary contribution, then about 24l. per annum, but it is now about 50l. per annum,
and has been lately augmented by lot with 200l. of Queen Anne's
bounty. Here is service and a sermon once every Sunday, and
prayers every Friday.
The small ward, called,