(102) The Church of St. Martin at the Plain
Was anciently called St. Martin's at the Palace-gate, from its standing
opposite to the north gate, or grand entrance to the Bishop's palace.
In the time of the Confessor, Bishop Stigand held it, and it then had
twelve acres of glebe; and in the Conqueror's time it was held by
William de Noiers, as belonging to Stigand's fee, which was then in
his hands, (see Pt. I. p. 10, 16,) and was purchased again of him by
Bishop Herbert, and settled on the see, and afterwards given to the
prior and convent, to whom it was appropriated, and settled by them
on their infirmary; it was taxed at 20s. and paid 3d. synodals, but no
procurations, it being then an exempt belonging to the jurisdiction of
the dean of the manors of the prior and convent, and was not in the
liberty of the city anciently, but in that of the Bishop, and belonged
to the hundred of Blofield; notwithstanding which, the sole spiritual
jurisdiction of all the parishioners, living on the west side of St.
Martin's bridge, now called White-friars bridge, belongs to the Archdeacon, it being anciently his parish of St. Mathew, which at its
dissolution was united to St. Martin's; which church, before its union,
was of the Archdeacon's own patronage, and so consequently remains
still under his jurisdiction.
At the appropriation, there was no vicar endowed, so that it is a
donative in the donation of the dean and chapter: Dr. Prideaux says
it hath no certain endowment, that the contributions then, were 14l.
per annum, and now the whole is worth about 20l. and has been
lately augmented with 200l. of the Queen's bounty. The religious
concerned here were, the Priors of St. Faith's, Mendham, and Norwich; the Prioresses of Chiksand and Bungey, and the Abbot of Holm.
1383, Rob. de Benham. 1431, Sir Will. Frank, buried in the south
porch. 1445, Sir Will. Pyke, buried in the churchyard. 1468, Will.
Harbald, buried in the chancel, and settled an anniversary for himself in St. Giles's hospital. 1538, Nic. Pennyman, who was said to be
rector, as was Nic. Thorp in 1539. 1617, Nic. Bracket. 1618,
John Woodson. 1636, Edw. Smith, A. M. 1662, John Harwood, John
Barker, who died 1730, and lies buried in the altar rails with this
Memor Fragilitatis humanæ Johannes Barker A. M, hujus
Ecclesiæ Curatus, annos plus minus triginta octo, vivens adhuc,
et victurus insuper, quoàd Deo Placuerit, hanc sibi Sepulchralem
Epigraphen posuit. De Vitâ, quam in hâc suâ Peregrinatione
gessit, solus Deus [KARDIOGNOSTIS] Judex esto. Nihil unquam
Boni, sibi arrogavit, Mali quas contraxit Labes, pretiosissimus
Christi Salvatoris Dei æquè ac Hominis sanguis, uti sperat,
eluet. Placidè quievit in Domino 1° Sept. 1730, Æt. suæ 65.
Mr. Charles Ray, curate, was succeeded by the Rev. Mr. Will.
Smith, who is the present  minister.
This church hath a square tower, clock, and five bells; the nave,
two isles, with the chapels at their east ends, chancel and south porch,
are all leaded.
In 1300, I find mention of a publick school for children to learn to
read and sing, kept in the parvis of this church; now the parvis, (fn. 1)
according to Staveley, in his History of Churches, p. 157, was the
nether part of the church, (fn. 2) between the north and south doors, which
usually was set apart for that purpose; and sometimes courts, both
spiritual and temporal, were held there, in which the lawyers often
pleaded, even in Chaucer's time, who mentions
A Sargeant at Lawe, ware, t wise,
That had oft been at the Parvise.
And we read, (fn. 3) that in the church of Canterbury, at the south door,
all the differences in the hundreds were there determined, as in the
King's court. But afterwards, this being thought inconsistent with
that reverence which is due to consecrated places, the courts and
pleadings there were prohibited; (fn. 4) though the teaching and instructing of children was still continued, as being a good Christian work,
and tending much to edification.
In 1506, Mr. John Blomefield gave a robe of worsted, lined with
purple satin, in honour of St. Nicholas, for the boy-bishop to wear
his day and night, in this parish; and in 1498, money was accounted
for, which was laid out in victuals, gloves, &c. for the boy-bishop
and his attendants, on St. Nicholas's day; (see p. 41.)
In 1500, a perclose, or chapel, included with cancelli, or lattices,
was made at the upper end of the south isle, like that in the north
isle. Here was a gild of St. Anne, and images of St. Martin, St.
Mary, St. William of Norwich, St. Margaret, St. John, St. Christopher,
St. Thomas, St. Anne, and St. Nicholas, with lights before them.
Persons buried here, as appears by their wills: 1468, Thomas Lessingham, chaplain, by his mother's stone. 1470, John Pers, dean of
Norwich and Taverham. 1471, John Chitok, alderman, and gave ten
marks to buy ornaments, and six marks to the Carmelites, and a
legacy to St. Giles's hospital to keep his obit. 1504, John Webster.
1505, Tho. Daywel, clerk, before the principal image of St. Martin, in
the chancel, and gave the glazing of two new windows in the clerestories,
or upper lights of the nave, one on the north, and one on the south
side of the rood-loft, "Item I bequethe to the chirche of St. Martyn,
one newe lectorne (or reading desk) for the queere there, and one
double cloth for the lectorne, with one image of St. Martyn on the
one side, and upon the other side Mary Maghdelyn, my selfe kneeling to one image, and Rob. Shynbone to the other."
1506, Mr. John Blomefield of this parish, publick notary, and
principal register to the Bishop, buried in the church by Anne his first
wife, and gave a legacy to St. Giles's hospital, to put his name into
the obit book; he paved the chapel of St. Nicholas in Tybenham
church, and ordered his wife Eliz. to have his obit kept every year in
this church, and to find a priest, and give him five marks to sing a
year for his own soul, and those of his father, mother, and ancestors
here, and left estates in Norwich, Garboldesham, &c. to Eliz. his wife,
and then to Agnes his daughter, wife of Mr. William, son of John
Bokenham of Garboldesham, "Moreover it is agreed between me and
Dr. Hare, of his grete gentillness and courtesie, for the probacion
of my testament, which longith to him by reason of his officiality
of the consistory of Norwich, to have xxs. in money, and a gold
ring. Witness Mr. John Swanton notary, my ghostly father."
1526, John Chambre, in the church, before St. Christopher. 1549,
(see Pt. I. p. 243.) 1589, Robert Bishop, LL. D. buried 17th Jan.
1618, Ralf son of Sir Edw. Bleverhasset, Knt. paid 10l. to the city
poor, on the 27th of March; the day following being the funeral of
Sir Edward. 1701, Francis, only son and heir of Heny Batch of
Lyn Regis, and Eliz. his wife, was buried by the font.
On a brass plate in the nave, having the arms of Shelton,
Here resteth in Hope of the general Resurrection, the Body of
John shelton the second sonne of Ralph Shelton of Brome in
Norfolk Esquier, who left this mortal Lyfe the 3d of April, Ao
1588, and in the 33 Yere of his Age.
For faithfull Friendshipe to his Frend; for meakenesse to
For Modesty among the Rest; renowned he remayne;
His Lyfe he lede in Godlyness; devoyde of every Blame;
And in his last Ertremitie; hys Death declared the same.
Here resteth the Body of Mary the Wife of Mathew Marcon,
& Dr. of Mat. Peckover Alderman, by Prisca his Wife, who
dying together with her Infant in Child-Bed, lies with it under
this kinde Stone interr'd July 19, 1642, 31.
Here lies a Mother, in this Earth supprest,
Who oft in Labour was, yet heere found Rest;
Here lies a Wife, lovinge, Religious, Chaste,
Who to her Husband Christ, made early haste,
Who livinge was so good, so sweet, so quiet,
That when but Warre approached, she straightway died;
She was so dear a Mother and a Wife,
That for to bee the first, she lost her Life.
And whilst to this poor Infant shee gave Breath,
Shee, and that also, lost their own by Death.
The Child would not forsake her, but the Woombe,
Which it had lost, it found out in this Tomb,
Where once more 'twill be born againe and tend,
To a more pretious Life, which knows no End,
Mean while they gently sleepe, cover'd with Clay,
Never to wake or Rise till the Great Day.
There is a neat mural monument of white marble erected against
one of the pillars, between the south isle, and nave, with an inscription composed by the late Dr. Camell; the exact resemblance of
which, the plate here inserted will continue to posterity.
There are also stones for, Anne wife of William Manby 21 July,
1709, 71. Will. Manby 1717, 74. Mary Dr. of Tho. Larwood Merchant, 1707, 43. Ursula Forby 1675. Tho. Mickleburgh Senior,
1710, 50. Thomas his Son by Eliz. his Wife 1736, 47. Mary Goodwin 1717, 46. Sam. Barnes 1718, 63. Rich. Mott 1689. Mr.
Will. Chapman of London, 1734, 55. Sarah wife of James Daglis
Barnes, az. three leopards heads arg. Samuel son of Samuel and
Jane Barnes 1719, 18, Jehoshaphat their Son 1713, 7.
In the south isle is a table of benefactors over the door.
1550, Lady Calthorp gave a silver cup and velvet carpet, which
is adorned with roses and lilies, and the Holy name of Jesus, and
Sicut Lilium inter spinas, sic Amica mea inter Filias. 2 chap.
Solom. Song, verse 2.
Mr. Ric. Moore, in 1608; gave an estate in Cossey, (about 6l. 10s.
per annum,) the rents to be given to the poor by the officers, in the
coldest time of the year.
Sir Peter Seaman, Knt. gave two estates, one in St. Swithin's,
and another in St. Julian's, the neat rents to bind out poor boys apprentices in six parishes of the city, of which this parish is one; the
money to be called for at the court of mayoralty by the officers, (see
p. 282, and Pt. I. p. 437.)
Mr. Francis Gillians gave 100l. the interest to bind out poor
boys apprentices, the claim whereof falls to the parish once every five
years; the money is ordered to be lodged in the court of mayoralty,
and called for by the church-wardens.
20l. left by several persons, the interest to the poor.
Crest, a demi-eagle. Clarke, arg. on a bend gul. between
three bezants, three swans proper, impaling on a chief three estoils,
in fess a herne. Hannah Dr. of Edm. and Hannah Clarke 1734, 4.
In the chapel at the east end of this isle;
Eliz. Chamberlayne 1729, 17, Cath. Wife of Rob. Darby 1666,
Robert their son 1680. Calthorp's arms in the windows.
Pray for the Soule of Tho. Balkey, (ob. 1529.)
Here lythe Lennerd Spenser who God called to his Mercy
Orate pro anima Johannis Tillys Generosi ac Civis et Alder-
man: Norwici qui obiit xvo die Mens. Aug. Ao. Dni. Mocccco
nonagesimo cuius anime propicietur Deus Amen.
John Powl sometime Inholder, died Aug. 4, 1620.
Tho' Death hath seiased on me as his Praye,
Yet all must know wee have a Judgment Daye,
Therefore whilst Life on Earth in you remaine,
Prayse all your God, who doth your Lives mayntaine,
That after Death, to Glory he maye us rayse,
Yeelde to his Majestie, Honor, Laude, & Prayse.
Sic vos. Non vobis.
Judith wife of John Wild 1712, also the said John 1725, 63. He
gave by will the branch to this church, and to the parish clerk for
cleaning the same quarterly, and keeping it in good repair, 20s. yearly
In the chancel,
John Dillan 1708, 59, Anne his wife 1721, 64. Ric. Moore 1692.
Nic. Kett, 1635, Nic. his son 1656, 20. Nic. Larwood Merchant
1739, 78. Susanna wife of Nicholas Larwood, Dr. of Henry Henley
Esq. of Colway near Lyme-Regis in Dorsetshire 1707, 35, and two of
their children. Tho. Larwood Merchant 1698, 67, Mary his wife
1699, 64. Abigail their Dr. 1675, 5, Eliz. born and died in 1677,
Lydia their Dr. 1694, 21. Mary the wife of Franois Larwood Esq;
Dr. of John Prattant Clerk, A. M. & Mary the Dr. of James Artis
of Yarmouth Esq; 24th April 1743, 24.
Alex. Peckover Gent. who died Sheriff and Alderman of this City,
7 Nov. 1649.
'Twere vayne to tell his Vertues, when ech Heart,
Better then Stones or Wordes, doth Act that Part,
Looke here and learne, how mortal is pore Man,
When one short moment, Life and Death doth Span.
There is a large stone with brass plates, on which is circumscribed
that passage in the 19th Job, verse 25, 6, and 7.
I am suer that my Redemar lyveth, and that I shall ryse out
of the Earth in the latter Day, that I shall be clothed agayne
with this Shynne, and se God in my Fleshe, yee I my Selfe
shall beholde hym, not with othar, wyth these same Eyes.
Nere lyeth hydd under thys Stone,
The Wyfe of Sic Phylyppe Calthorpe Knyght,
And clepyd Dame Jane, the Dowthter of one
Jhon Bleverhaysset, Esquier he hyght,
She loved God's Worde, and lived lykewise,
She gave to the Poore, t prayd for the Rytche,
She ruled her Howse in Messuer and Sysse,
She spent as it came and gathered not moche,
The Day of Apryll twenty and seven,
God did her call from hense on to Havven.
Calthorp impales Bleverhasset, Lowdham, Orton and Keldon;
and in the east window are the same arms, and Bleverhasset impales a
griffin passant or, quartering a fess between three croslets gul.
Crest, a fox sejant gul.
In the north isle by the door, lies a stone disrobed of a circumscription, four shields, fifteen labels, the effigies of a man and woman, and
fourteen children at their feet.
John Smith 1726, 75, Mary, his wife 1728, 54. John their son
1718, 18. John son of Joshua and Anne Smith 1737. John Gogill
1725, 45. The children of William and Mary Leedes.
In the chapel at the east end of this isle;
Thomas Browne Dier 1701, 73. Tho. his Son 1681. Will. Trower
his Grandson 1725, 30. Ben. Austin 1709, Samuel Austin 1722, 34.
Mary wife of Ben. Austin 1697, 35, and 8 of her children. Jeremiah
son of Henry Austin 1679, 16.
Here resteth One, tho' young, yet old in Grace,
Whose dying Words, declared he ran Faith's Race.
On a monument at the east end,
Elizabethæ Caltrop er illustri et antiqua Caltropporum Familia
oriundæ, Unicæ Parentis Filiæ, Primum Nobilissimo viro Hen-
rico Parkero Equito Aurato nuptæ, deinde post eius mortem,
Gulielmo Woodhouse Equiti perillustri, in Matrimonio Locatæ,
mulier castissimus moribus, fælici ingenia insign cæteris-
que preclarissimis virtutibus egregie decorat Fæminei serus
Ornament Præcell Drugo Drury Armig. qui postremus
in urorem durerat, (fn. 5) hoc Monumentum observantiæ t Benevo-
lentiæ, animo mærenti, non sine Luctu tam charæ coniugis
Unica quæ fuerat Caltroppi Filia, cuius
Nomen perfælir Elizabetha fuit,
Hic iacet hoc Tumulo, mulier tot Laudibus aucta,
Vt vic speremus posse videre parem.
Hæc postquam binos sepeliverat ipsa maritos,
Lege maritali tum mihi nupta fuit,
Antea chara fuit, quia nos cognatin iunrit,
Sed post coniugium charior Uror erat,
In Christo vales mea nunc fidissima coniur,
Coniunc pars animæ dimidiata meæ,
Et quia non licuit tecum discedere, nostra
Una sepultura corpora Terra tenet.
Arms on the monument,
Crest, or and gul. a demi-talbot arg.
And Drury and his 13 quarters, impales Calthorp and his five
1st, Drury. 2d, sab. six cinquefoils arg. 3, 2, 1. 3d, arg. a chief
indented, and six croslets fitché 3, 2, 1, az. 4th, arg. a chevron gul.
between three caps of maintenance az. 5th, erm. on a chevron gul.
three escalops or. 6th, gironé of eight, or and sab. 7th, az. a bend
cotized between six croslets fitchée or. 8th Derham. 9th, pally of
six arg. and az. on a chief sab. two swords in saltier arg. hilted or.
10th, gul. a chief az. over all, a pair of barnacles ar. 11th, arg. a
pair of barnacles gul. 12th, arg. six cinquefoils gul. on a canton
sab. a mullet and annulet arg. 13th, ar. a fess indented gul. in chief
three leopards faces sab. 14th, arg. a chevron gul. between three
squirrels seiant sab. each eating an apple gul.
1st, Calthorp, 2d, Bacon, 3d, Davilers, 4th Wachesham,
5th Wythe, 6th az. a fess between six croslets florée or; the same is
in the east window.
At the north end, Calthorp impales three chevrons humetté
voided; at the west end,
Calthorp impales 1st, Baynaugh. 2d, Morley with a label of
three, her first husband. 3d, Wodehouse of Waxham, her second
husband. 4th, Drury, her third husband.
In a window of this chapel, towards the north are, the rose, crown,
and thistles, and under them,
Blessed are the Peace Makers, for they shall be called the Children
This was put up in James the First's time, at the Union.
Corbet impales Heydon. Spencer's arms, and a broken inscription, which shows that that window was made by Dr. Spencer, last
dean of Chapel-field-College. Calthorp and Bacon quartered,
impale Shelton. Drury impales sab. six cinquefoils arg. Drury
quartering the cinquefoils, impales gul. an eagle displayed arg.
Calthorp quarters Bacon, Wachesham, and Withe, impaling,
1st, barry of ten, gul. and arg. 2d, Hastings. 8d, Grey. 4th,
Valence. Calthorp as before, impales Morley, quartering per
pale or and vert, a cross moline gul. It seems the Calthorps had a
city house in this parish many years, for in 1492 Sir Will. Calthorp,
Knt. lived here.
In the south porch, Robert Wild Parish Clerk 1725, 41. On a headstone in the churchyard on the south side. Anna Dr. of Thomas
and Margaret Skedge 1739, 21,
Reader beneath this Monument is Laid,
The Body of a Pious, Prudent, Maid;
Whilst her bright Soul, above the lofty Sky
Shall dwell in Peace & Joy Eternally,
Then let us not in vain lament her Fate,
But her great Virtues Strive to imitate,
And let her early Exit always be,
An earnest Admonition unto thee.
An altar tomb enclosed with iron palisades is erected to the memory of Samuel Wade, 1727, 59, and William, Samuel, and Anne,
their children, who died young.
Wade, az. a saltier between four escalops or. Crest an escalop or.
On the north side is an altar tomb for Theophilus Colcock 1725,
55. Arms per pale on a chief three swans proper, impaling a chevron
between three eagles heads erased.
On the north side of the steeple is the street leading to
(103) White-friars Bridge, which was so called because the
monastery of those friars was near it; it was afterwards called, as it
now is, St. Martin's Bridge, and is built of stone, being one of the
five principal bridges; it hath only one large arch; there were formerly two turrets to keep the passage, but they were demolished in
James the First's time.
(104) The rectory of St. Mathew the Apostle,
By the Palace, or at the School-gate, was so small that it was not
taxed. It is said to be in the liberty of the prior of Norwich; (fn. 6) but
upon a trial before the justices itinerant in 1286, it was found otherwise;
for in that year, a thief took sanctuary in this church, and acknowledging his fault, prayed liberty of sanctuary from the prior, but it was
not admitted, it being proved to the jury, that this church, and those
of St. Helen, St. Martin, and St. Paul, with their parishes, were within
the precinct of the hundred of Blofield. (fn. 7) But after this, the prior did
not claim it, for Norwich Domesday gives us this account of it: " The
Archdeacon of Norwich is patron of the church, and hath the absolute spiritual jurisdiction over all the parishioners;" and it pays 13d.
per annum synodals; but now the church of St. Martin at the Palacegate pays the synodals, because the church of St. Mathew being in
ruins, the parishioners go to St. Martin, and have done so ever since
the great pestilence in 1349, and before that pestilence, and till now,
the church of St. Mathew was governed by a rector, and the schoolhouse is in this parish, and is called Rome-halle.
All which were presented by the Archdeacons of Norwich.
1305, Ralf de Baketon.
1310, Clement de Cnapeton.
1328, Roger Edryk of Happisburgh.
1348, John de St. Faith, changed for Ringland in
1349, with John Graunt.
1358, Stephen atte Crouch or at Cross of Marham, changed the
same year with
Will. Carpenter, for St. Mary Wigenhall.
1359, John Mersey, who was succeeded by
Will. de Banham, and he in
1364, by Walter Kempe, in exchange for East-Walton.
1365, Roger Marcolf, who the same year, changed with
Simon Parker for Haverlond.
1366, John Wayte, who changed the same year with
Stephen atte Cross, for St. Mary Wigenhall, so that Cross
became rector again.
1376, Will. Baxtere of Holkham, who the same year changed with
Henry de Limpenhow, for Holkham; he died in 1377, and the
church was annexed to St. Martin, and afterwards pulled down. It
stood on the right hand of the street, leading from the Plain to the
Old-men's hospital, directly at the turn of that street, the churchyard
joining to the precinct wall; and directly opposite to it, at the northeast corner, on the left hand of that turn, stood
(105) The Old Grammar School for the City,
Which belonged to, and was founded and endowed, by the Bishops of
the see, who always collated the masters as to a living, with cure of
souls, and they were inducted into the house by the Archdeacon of
Norwich. The singing school and grammar schools belonging to the convent were kept in the almonry, and they often were
collated to by the Bishop, on the Convent's nomination; both being
often in one person; and at the time of their induction there was
generally published an inhibition from the Bishop, prohibiting all
other persons to teach grammar or singing in the city. But at the
Reformation, these were dissolved, and the present school afterwards
appointed, as you may see at p. 60.
The Masters were,
1274, Will. Blafield, who resigned in 1385, to Mr. Will. de Plumstede. 1338, Hugh de Waynflet, A. M. 1341, Thomas Buttolph. 1349,
Mr. William Pecyn of Herlyngfleet. 1369, William Buntyng. 1403,
John Hancock, resigned. 1413, John Seguard, an excellent poet and
rhetorician, (fn. 8) but for too freely reprovingthe monks for writing filthy
verses, he was deprived, and Hancock was collated again, who in 1424, (fn. 9)
let his school to John Rikkes, rector of Wodenorton, paying him nine
marks a year, and repairing the school-house and walls including it,
and the gardens; but Hancock, as master of the grammar and singing
schools, of the convent, reserved power to take lads from the cathedral precinct, and from St. Leonard's, and twelve from the city or
county, but no more. 1434, John Spirling. 1439, Constantine Dalby,
A. M. 1440, John Scarlet, clerk. 1475, Mr. Charles Herys, master
of grammar in the University of Cambridge; in 1497, he was summoned into the Prior's court, the schools being in the exempt jurisdiction of the convent, and was deprived of his mastership, for
speaking reproachful words of the monks, and Mr. John Swanton was
collated in his room, who was the last that I find collated to them.
(106) St. Giles's hospital,
Commonly called the Old-men's hospital, was founded in the
year 1249, by Walter Suffield alias Calthorp, (fn. 10) Bishop of
Norwich, on the land which he had purchased in Holm-street for
that purpose, having pulled down the house, to make room for the
hospital and church, which he built thereon, which was made parochial; the old
(107) Church of St. Helen,
Which belonged to the monks, (fn. 11) and stood in their precinct, opposite
to the present hospital, being then demolished, and the parish united
to the hospital church of St. Giles, as it still remains; and this is the
reason that that church is called St. Helen's at this time.
This hospital is situated on the north-east part of the cathedral,
from the precinct of which it is divided by the street called Holmestreet; it consists of 50 aged men and 50 aged women, and is
governed by a master, elected by the court, who has the sole management of the hospital; there is a chaplain, who hath his dwelling in
its precinct, and serves the church, the whole of which is standing,
with a square tower at the south-west corner, in which hangs only one
small bell; the choir part is turned into lodgings for the women, and the
part of the nave and isles from the steeple to the south porch or entrance, for the men, the middle parts of the two isles and nave, with a
south chantry, (all which are covered with lead,) are still used for
divine worship: in this chantry is placed the altar, in the rails of
which there are stones for the following persons, viz.
Sarah an Infant Daughter of Mr. James Vertue, rector of
Catfield, and Margaret his wife, 1723.
Edward son of Peter Attlesey Junior 1719. Prudence wife of
Edw. Attlesey Aug. 22, 1694, 71. Edw. Attlesey Senior, Oct. 27,
1693, 67. Edw. Attlesey Aug. 14, 1694.
Nic. Rix Master of this Hospital 32 Years and a Quarter, 1675, 74.
Mihi Christus est, et in Vita, et in Morte, Lucrum
Samuel Rix his Son, 1676, 24.
Mori vixit, vivere obijt.
Mrs. Anne Rix 1694, 83.
There is a mural monument erected against the east wall, to the
memory of the three last persons, with this inscribed thereon,
To the Memory of Nic. Rix, who was 32 Years a carefull
diligent and faithfull Master of this Hospital, untill the tormenting Fits of the Stone made him resign that Office, and afterwards
his painfull Life, which he exchanged for eternal Rest, Nov. 14,
1675, aged 74. To the Memory of Ann his Wife, who concluded her long, as well as pious Life, of 83 Years, Jan. 14, 1694.
And of Samuel their only son, who died 1 June 1679. This
Monument was erected by Mary their Daughter, Widow of Tho.
Shewell late of London Gent. she died 8 June 1718, aged 76,
and lies in a Vault near the midle Part of this Altar.
Against the same wall, on the south side of the altar, is a monument of black and white marble thus inscribed,
S. M. Of Peter Attelsey Esq; Alderman, Sheriff, & Mayer
of this City, so well had he deserved of the Community; in private Life a kind Husband, a tender Father, a sincere Friend, and
in his Religious Capacity, an eminent Example to all Men, he
died Febr. the 14th, 1729, aged 66. By him resteth Anne his
loving and beloved Wife, who died Sept. 26, 1728, aged 75.
As also Edward and John their Sons.
Opposite to this is another monument of the same form and materials, erected to the memories of,
Anne youngest Daughter of Peter Attlesey Esq; and Anne his
wife, late wife of John Barker, Dec. 4, 1733, aged 40, she lies
buried in her father's vault.
Sarah their eldest Daughter, widow of Philip Dyball, Sept. 9,
1735, 45. Phillip Dyball her Husband, Dec, 28, 1718, 28. Anne
Dyball their Daughter Feb. 15, 1731, 14. Philip their Son Nov.
18, 1716, 1.
There are also stones for the following persons;
Edward son of Peter Attlesey and Anne his Wife, 1698. Will.
Attlesey, 1700, 47. Margaret his Wife 1728, 78. Will. Masey
1706. Nic. Son of Edward and Prudence Attlesey, 1718, 54.
Sarah his wife 1725, 64. Martha their Daughter, wife of Will.
Attlesey, 1735, 39. Rich. Angell 1717, 26. Sarah his wife, Dr.
of Nicholas and Sarah Attlesey, 1738, 48.
Thomas Son of Christopher Baret of Yarmouth, Gent. 1721,
38, and 7 of his children.
Crest, a helmet with two feathers by way of plume. Baret,
arg. a bend az. between three mascle buckles gul. This family was
Joseph Rant Clerk and Alice his wife 16 - - - Mr. Augustine
Steward Gent. 1689, 57, Mary his wife 1697, 65. The arms of
William Burnham Gent. late Master of this Hospital 28 Years,
who was to the poor, a tender parent, and prudent Governour,
industrious in his Calling, true to his Trust and Friend, an endearing and affectionate Husband, a loving and kind Relation,
whose Life God having blessed with full Years, he has changed
for a Crown incorruptible. 21 Oct. 1714, aged 74. Mary his
Wife died March 8, 1721, aged 72.
There is a fine stone on the south side of this chapel, but it hath
lost its inscription, effigies, and four shields.
There is also towards the north, another stone, having lost a circumscription and effigies, of a priest; there are four labels, one at
each corner, on which, Eupr Thesu help. And there were four labels
from his mouth, two are lost; on those remaining are these words,
In novissimo die de terra Surrecturus sum
Secundum Actum meum noli me iudicare.
This was laid over Bartholomew Pecock, rector of Surlingham, who
was buried in 1385.
The roof of this chapel is a stone arch, with curious carvings thereon;
in the midst is the coronation of the Virgin Mary; in another place
her ascension; the outward row of figures are the twelve Apostles, and
the four on each side are the emblems of the Evangelists; there is also
the salutation, and several other histories.
It appears, that the church was beautified when Peter Attlesey was
mayor, in 1715, and again when Robert Harvey was mayor in 1738.
In the south isle is a stone reaved of its brass; it now lies in the vestry, and is something broken; the inscription, when perfect, was this,
Here lyeth Hew Herysun, the whyche departed the rrvii Day of
August Ao Dni. Movorlviii. of whose Soule Jesu have Mercy.
Stephen Priest 1671. John Foster 1719, 64. By the south door
lies a piece of a coffin stone very ancient, with the effigies of a priest
cut thereon. This was laid over John de Ely, rector of Acle, who was
instituted there in 1362, and was buried at the entrance of the new
choir here, to which he was a benefactor in 1385; in 1381, Isabel de
Brook gave a legacy to the new chancel's building.
There are many old stalls, in which the brethren of the hospital
used formerly to sit.
The church was seated by John Hecker, master, whose name remains
carved on several seats; on one he is represented on his knees in a
priest's habit; on the tops of other seats, are carved St. Margaret and
the dragon, the emblems of St. Mark, St. John, &c.
In the church, on a brass plate,
Hic iacet Willmo: Garlond Capellanus quondam Frater istius
Hospitalis cuius anime propicietur deus Amen.
Hic iacet corpus Dni: Edmundi Keche Presbyteri, cuius anime
propicietur deus Amen.
Daniel Markon Nov. 18, 16 - - aged 36. Tho Church 1683.
Repositum Johannis Filij dilectissimi Johannis Brandon Clerici et Anne Uxoris ejus, qui animam expiravit 8vo. die Nov. A°.
On a black marble by the step of the altar,
Crest, a hand holding a dagger proper, and on a label is this
motto, I make sure. Arg. a saltier, and on a chief, az. three woolpacks of the field.
Here resteth in hopes of a joyfull Resurrection, the Body of
John Kirk-patrick of this City Merchant, and Treasurer to
this Hospital; he was a Man of a sound Judgement, good Understanding, and extensive Knowledge, industrious in his own business, and indefatigable in that of this Corporation, in which he
was constantly employed, he dyed very much lamented by all
that knew him, on the 20th Day of August in the Year of our
Lord 1728, aged 42.
This Mr. Kirk-patrick, was a most judicious antiquary, (fn. 12) and
made great collections for the City of Norwich, jointly with Peter
le Neve, Norroy; being so very intimate, they mutually exchanged
their collections for this place, Mr. Kirk-patrick giving all his draughts
to Mr. Le Neve, and Mr. Le Neve giving his to Mr. Kirk-patrick; to
the labours of both which gentlemen I am exceedingly obliged, which
if I did not acknowledge in this publick manner, I should inwardly
condemn myself, as guilty of the highest ingratitude.
On a brass in the north isle,
Orate pro animabus Willi: Fualeyn et Margarete Uroris sue
quorum animabus propicietur Deus Amen.
In the nave, Anne Wife of Jacob Votier 1730, 45. William Son of
John Calver, rector of Gissing in Norfolk, and Eliz. his wife, 1719, 15.
The north door of the church opens into the cloister of the old
hospital, which is all standing perfect, being a square of 20 yards,
with a burial-place for the parish in the midst of it; the whole cloister
is covered with lead; the master's lodge was on the east side; over the
door is carved in stone, prior Molet's arms, and Bishop Lyhart's, in
whose time it was rebuilt. The refectory, or eating-hall, is standing
on the west side of the cloister, and in it is a brass plate thus inscribed,
brought, I suppose, from the church.
Orate pro anima Roberti Cowper, cuius anime propicietur Deus.
In the women's lodging hangs a little bell with this on it,
Jhesvs Nazarenus Rex Judeorum M° v° xlviij.
On the stone work in the church, are the arms of Bishop Goldwell,
by whom part of it was built, quartering his rebus or device for his
name, viz. er. on a chief sab. three golden wells. And also the arms
of Prior John Molet, arg. a mullet sab. between three birds gul.; he
rebuilt the lodge, and part of the church, (see Pt. I. p. 604.)
Gul. a chevron parted per pale and per chevron sab. and arg. counterchanged, between three crescents sab. and arg. This is in stone
over a chamber door. The colours are not to be depended upon, being
There are arms in the windows of the master's lodge, of Goldwell,
Hobart, Le Hart or Lyhert, and his rebus, and other benefactors.
In 1405, Robert de Etone, rector of Yelverton, was buried in the
church here, and gave 20s. a year, out of his tenement in St. Peter's
Orate pro anima Dni: Thome Lucas confratris huius Loci et
Rectoris Ecclie: Parochialis de Thugarton qui obiit rvo die Marcii
Moccccolrrrio cuius anime propicietur Deus Amen.
Owen Cary dyed in 1738, æt. 75.
The following lines are on a board within the hospital:
Henry the Faith's defender, great and good,
Bequeathed St. Helen on the poor,
Edward the sixth, that Youth of Royal Blood,
Confirmed the Gift but added more,
Eliza, Happy Queen, with pleasure view'd,
The Royal Boon of two such Kings,
Gladly She flew to those which Sued,
For Charity has ever Wings:
Since which each Soveraign Prince has kindly lent
To feeble age, his generous Aid,
Well Knowing Kings were truly Sent,
To Comfort Subjects when dismaid,
St Helen thus the poor protects,
From Poverty and Want,
A Patroness whom Kings elect,
Time never can transplant.
Tempore Majoratûs Richardi Mott Armigeri.
Be ye mercifull, as your Father also is mercifull Luke 6, 36.
On the outside over the chief western entrance, is this,
The house of GOD.
King HENRY the Eight, of noble Fame,
Bequeath'd this City, this Commodious Place,
With Lands and Rents, he did endow the Same,
To help decreped Age in wofull Case.
Edward the Sixth that Prince of Royal Stem,
Perform'd his Fathers generous Bequest.
Good Queen Eliza, imitating them,
Ample Endowments added to the Rest.
Their pious Deeds we gratefully record,
While Heaven them Crowns, with glorious Reward.
The choir of the church was rebuilt about 1383, and was called the
New Chancel in 1385, by the benefactions of Bishop Spencer and others;
and in 1451, the cloister, master's lodgings, nave, and tower, were
built by Bishop Lyhert, Prior Molet, and other benefactors. 1461, in
some wills it it called St. Helen's hospital in St. Giles's church. In
1272, there was an altar of St. Catherine, and in 1290, another of St.
Nicholas, in the hospital church.
The foundation deed was executed by Bishop Suffield, in 1249, (fn. 13)
and is dated at Norwich on the calends of Oct. by which he gave and
confirmed to God, the Virgin Mary, St. Anne, St. Giles, and All-Saints,
and to the hospital of his foundation, to their honour at Norwich, all
those messuages which he purchased in Norwich of Henry de la Sale,
and Rob. de Stanford, for the use of the master and brethren of the
hospital, together with the churches of Calthorp, (fn. 14) Cosseye, (fn. 15) Cringleford, (fn. 16) and South-Walsham St. Mary; all which were by him appropriated to the hospital, with the consent of the prior and chapter, to
maintain four chaplains, daily celebrating service for his soul for ever,
and all the poor and decrepit chaplains in Norwich diocese, who had
not wherewith to maintain themselves; and also to support 13 poor
people to be lodged there, and have one meal every day.
And by another deed in 1253, he appropriated the church of Senges
or Sething in Norfolk, which was alternately presented to by himself
and the prior, to the hospital; after the death of Richard then rector
there, paying to the almoner of Norwich convent, a pension of 10
marks a year, (fn. 17) and keeping his anniversary with placebo and dirige by
note, duly and feeding on that day 100 poor people, with meat and
drink; all which was confirmed by the bull of Pope Alexander IV.
in 1256, (fn. 18) when the statutes of the hospital were signed by its founder, (fn. 19) in which he appointed a master for their confessor and ruler,
and four chaplains for the divine services in the choir, to be all priests;
and two clerks to assist them, one to be a deacon, and the other a
subdeacon; (fn. 20) there were also to be four sisters, of 50 years old each,
to take care of the clothing, bedding, and other necessaries for the
sick, and no other women to be there; the whole of all the offices being to be done by men. The master and chaplains were to eat, drink,
and sleep together, in one room; and every day, after grace at dinner,
before any one drank, the bell was to ring, and the chaplains were to go
into the choir, and sing the psalm of Miserere mei Deus, &c. (Psalm li.)
He appointed the collation of the mastership, to be annexed to the see
of Norwich; the Bishops of which were to be visitors, and have the spiritual jurisdiction and correction of it: thirteen poor people were
daily to have their dinner, and liberty in the winter to refresh themselves at the fire; seven poor scholars named by the master of the
grammar-school, were to have their dinner daily in the hospital, and
when they went off, others were to be named. There were 30 beds
or more, (if the income increased,) with sheets and all things complete;
and if any poor man infirm or ill comes to the hospital, he shall be
taken care of till his recovery, particularly all poor chaplains of the
diocese of Norwich, who have nothing to support themselves, or are
so old they cannot officiate, or if they have any disease or incurable
infirmity, shall be received, dwell, and be maintained in the hospital
as long as they live. And at this hospital shall be an arch a Domini,
or Lord's box, (fn. 21) from which the poor that pass by, shall be daily relieved, as far as the revenues will bear. From Lady day to the Assumption, at a certain hour, the great bell shall ring, and a quantity of
bread sufficient to repel hunger, shall be given to all the poor then
present. And because this house shall be properly Domus Dei, or
the House of God, and of the Bishops of Norwich, he ordained, that
as often as any Bishop of the see went by, he should go in, and give
his blessing to the sick there; and that day, for the welfare of the living and dead, the 13 poor men should be wholly fed in the hospital,
and the day after, there should be a mass of the Holy Ghost, for the
same purpose. He appointed also four lay brothers, to do the outward
business of the house; every Sunday the master was to hold a chapter to correct offences, and to have the sole nomination, and power to
receive and admit the brethren and sisters. The master was to be a
priest, and swear to continual residence, if he had no other ecclesiastical benefice, and not to alien any thing from the hospital. The common seal was to be kept by the master and eldest priest, and was never
to be used but in a publick chapter. In every vacancy, the Bishop
was to choose one of the priests to govern, till a new master was inducted. The hospital was to be exempt in all things within its precinct, no spiritual or temporal jurisdiction being to enter; but all was
to be in the master's power, except the right of patronage, power of
visiting, correcting, and reforming, all things and persons, which was
particularly reserved to the Bishops of the see; and to all that observed his statutes, and that were benefactors either by council or
goods, he gave the blessing of God and our Lord, and every year
on St. Giles's day, an indulgence of 40 days pardon; (fn. 22) excommunicating all those that acted contrary: and at this time he confirmed his
former gifts, and added the church of Hardele, which he appropriated
to them; and all his land in Hethill and Carletun, of the fee of the
Earl of Norfolk, which Roger Bigot Earl of Norfolk, and Marshal of
England, (fn. 23) had conveyed to him in the presence of his brothers, Sir
Hugh and Sir Ralf Bigot, Knts.
And now he consecrated the chapel, and all the oratories in the
hospital, adding liberty of burial for all persons that chose to be buried
there; so that the parish churches where they died, were not defrauded of their mortuaries and dues. As to the election of a master,
he ordered two brethren to certify every vacancy to the prior, and
the archdeacons of Norwich and Norfolk, who were to meet on a fixed
day in the hospital chapter-house, within three weeks after such
notice, to treat about a future master, and to swear the brethren concerning the fitness of the priests in the hospital, or any other out of
it, who on their oath were to elect a priest, whether gremial or not,
such as they thought fit for the mastership, who was to be presented
by the prior and archdeacons within eight days, to the Bishop or his
official, &c. But in 1272, this method was set aside by the Bishop of
Norwich and Archbishop of Canterbury: and it was ordained, that the
priests or chaplains should always choose their master, whoever they would, if he was a priest, and present him to the Bishop;
which was always done, notwithstanding the archdeacons contested
their right at the first vacancy.
The founder died in 1257; his will may be seen in Pt. I. p. 487.
And in his lifetime I find the following benefactors. William de
Donewyco or Dunwich, burgess of Norwich, (fn. 24) who gave for his own
soul, and that of Catherine, his former wife, his meadow by Bishop'sbridge, which extended from the river to the hospital, and 6s. 8d. rent
in Holme-street, paying 13 pints of wine to the prior yearly, the day
before St. Mary Magdalen's day, and finding a priest for ever, to sing
daily for their souls in the hospital church: and after this, he gave
them three messuages in Conesford, and many rents of value, payable
out of the houses in most of the parishes in the city; and by his will,
which is dated in 1272, he ordered his body to be buried in the hospital church of St. Giles, before St. Catherine's altar, and gave a very
considerable sum of money to maintain five sick people in the hospital
continually, and find two chaplains at that altar, daily singing for
him, his wife, and their ancestors; and four wax tapers always burning there in service time; he gave the master a silver standing cup,
and a gold chain; and a cup and cruets of silver to the altar, and
made Hamon, master of the hospital, Gosceline, vice-dean of Norwich,
and Robert de Dunwich, his executors.
This man being a co-founder with the Bishop, was daily commemorated with him till the Dissolution; it appears by his will he
was exceeding rich.
Roger of Dunwich, and Alice his wife, gave a piece of land by their
site. Will. le Mercer gave a house in St. Peter's per Montergate, and
Tho. de Tweyt released his right in it. Robert, vicar of Tybenham,
gave 10s. yearly rents, out of divers houses in Norwich. At the same
time, Roger de Eggmere, (fn. 25) by various deeds, gave them the service and
homage of many of his tenants in Bastwic, with all his pastures,
reliefs, eschaets, &c. to be held of him at 6d. per annum, and afterwards they purchased much more of him there, and Agnes his relict,
and James his son released all rents and services whatever, due from
the hospital. Will. de Tyvile gave them land in Intewood, (fn. 26) Walt.
Barun of Cringleford, gave the 4th part of a water-mill there; and
Will. Barun gave a rood of land by it. Peter at Cross, and Petronel
his wife, gave land by Cringleford Holm; William son of Ralf de
Cringleford, gave lands and the water-mill called Bek-mille, with the
pool and fishery belonging to it. William son of Rob. de Bukenham
granted them two villeins and their families in Brakene, and Sir John
de Lodne, Knt. released Hardele advowson to them, it being purchased of him by the founder.
Ric. de Hethill gave half an acre in Hethill. Ralf son of Roger
de Hethill gave three roods, and Ralf son of Reginald de Hethill, a
messuage, 32 acres of land, five acres of wood, four acres meadow,
and five acres pasture there, which belonged formerly to John le
Briton, against whom he recovered them in the King's court. And
at the same time they had houses and rents in Norwich of the gifts of
Adam le Knite of Sprowston, and Maud his wife, Roger de Tybenham, chaplain, Walter de Derham, Hubert de Morley of Norwich,
and Maud his wife, Peter son of Will. de Rakey, Eda de Plumpstede,
Roger le May, and Aveline his wife, Isabel de Cressi, Alice Sadde,
daughter of Reginald de Burgh, and relict of Adam Germyn, Andrew
son of Rob. Faderman, Alice de Iselham, John de Briston, chaplain,
Will. Engelond of Norwich Thorp, Robert son of John de Stanford.
and Basil de Bek, relict of Laurence Hunger.
The good Bishop lived to see his charitable foundation thus endowed.
Benefactors after his death were, William de Berford, lord of
Cringleford, who gave them a meadow there. In 1260, Will. de Suffield, alias Calthorp, the founder's brother, Archdeacon of Norwich, (fn. 27)
ordered his beloved chaplain and steward, Bartholomew de Sparham,
to convey to the hospital, a messuage, croft, and the advowson of
Reppes and Bastwick, with his body to be buried in their church, as
his gift. The said William was rector of it, and resigned it to the
Bishop, who at his request appropriated it to the hospital, (fn. 28) he purchased them of Hugh de Caylli and Agnes his wife, who confirmed
them to the hospital.
In 1275, Master Walter de Calthorp, the founder's nephew, (fn. 29) gave
two messuages in Holme-street. Sir Will. de Calthorp and Sir Bartholomew de Calthorp being witnesses.
Bishop Walton gave them six acres in Sething. Between 1270,
and 1280, Sibil wife of Simon of St. Leonard, Rob. de Aswardby, and
John his son, John le Scot of Norwich, (fn. 30) and Reyner de Langele, chaplain, gave houses, lands, and rents, in Norwich; and Beatrice, relict
of Henry de Dunham, confirmed her husband's gifts in Ringland;
Walter, son of Tho. Shanke, gave a messuage and 14 acres in Reppes,
Bastwick, and Rollesby. Stephen Crok, a brother of the hospital, confirmed the moiety of Uphalle in Calthorp, which was formerly Sir
Peter de Hautbois's. The Master of the hospital licensed Lady
Petronel, relict of Sir Roger de Brome, Knt. to have an oratory during her life, in her manor-house of Sundirlond-hall, in the parish of
South Walsham St. Mary. In 1279, the Bishop granted an indulgence of 40 days pardon to all that would become benefactors to
the hospital, or come thither, hear mass, say a Pater Noster, and an
Ave Maria, for the souls of the founder, and benefactors. In 1280,
King Edward I. granted them a license in mortmain, for their site,
and leave to enclose the whole from the water to Holm-street, and to
have all paths, ways, &c. that lead through it.
In 1282, (fn. 31) the abbot and convent of St. Mary at York let for ever
to the hospital, two parts of the ancient demeans of the Earl of Brittany in Cosseye, (fn. 32) and all tithes that the Prior of Rumburgh used to
receive for them, paying annually six marks to the said prior, in the
name of the Abbot of York, on St. John's nativity.
1283, Sir John de Vaux, Knt. gave part of the site, pool, river, &c. (fn. 33)
belonging to Bec-mill in Cringleford, in the same state as they were,
in the time of the late Sir Jolein de Vaux, Knt. In 1285, the Prior
of Norwich perpetually leased to the hospital, the third part of the
tithe corn of the demeans of Henry de Heylesden, and of the demeans
of Adam de Berford in Cringleford; and all other tithes due to them
there, for a pension of two marks and an half a year, to be paid to
the sacrist. 1286, John, parish chaplain of St. Peter in Hundegate,
as executor to Agnes Glover deceased, settled a rent charge out of a
house there. 1288, Richard Dunston of Norwich, son of Jeffery de
Wychingham and Alice his wife, gave a rent of 12d. yearly, out of a
messuage in St. Martin at the Oak, or in Coselany, as it was then
called, which abutted east on the hospital land called Gildenecroft;
Thomas de Lyncolne, &c. being witnesses. In 1290, Ric. de Tyke was
buried at St. Nicholas's altar, and left half a mark to find a light
before St. Nicholas, and many rents in Norwich, for a yearly pittance
on his obit day.
John son of John de Nerford and Petronel his wife, released a messuage called Brundall-halle to the hospital. 1292, Thomas son of
Adam de Knapeton of Norwich confirmed the gift of Will. de Denham
and Alice his wife, who was mother of the said Adam, viz. all the
arable land which they gave the hospital, lying out of St. Austin's
gates. 1294, Will. de Lyngwood gave a messuage and 3s. rent in
Norwich, and John his brother confirmed it. In 1310, the rents
were so increased, that the Bishop added four chantry chaplains
more; (fn. 34) so that now there were eight brethren, who were to wear the
habit of regular canons. In 1315, a messuage and 10 acres of land in
Erlham were settled by the King's license to found a chantry in the
hospital for John Custin. (fn. 35) John de Ely Bishop of Norwich purchased
of Sir Oliver de Ingham, Knt. a rent charge of two marks, out of his
manor of Redham, which in 1321, was settled on the hospital by John
de Sutton, and Will. de Culpho, clerks, Sir Oliver's feoffees in that
manor. In 1330, King Edward III. licensed Walter de Filby, and
Edmund parson of Lounde, to settle on the hospital, one messuage,
15 acres and an half, two acres of meadow, and 44 acres of reedharth
or juncary in Norwich, Hardele, Sithing, Reppes, Wickmere, Cringleford, Hethil, Limpenhowe, and Redham, purchased of Ralph de Burghwode, and Sir Adam de Clifton, Knt. (fn. 36) In 1332, the King licensed
Walter de Filby, Sir Tho. de Preston, rector of Colby, and Sir Stephen,
rector of Lounde, to settle a messuage, eight acres of land, and the
advowson of Mundham St. Peter, on the hospital, all which they
lately purchased of Sir John de Shelton, Knt. who held it of him. In
1333, an exchange passed between the hospital and Will. son and
heir of Adam de Berforth of Cringleford, of lands there. Sir Simon
de Hethersete, and Sir Hugh Peverel, Knts. and John de Heylesdon,
being witnesses. Bishop Ayremine purchased the advowsons of the
two medieties of Thurleton, Thurlton, or Thurton, of Tho. de Morley
of Norwich, and Beatrix his wife, daughter and heiress of Sir Thomas
Rosceline, Knt. (fn. 37) and half an acre of land, and settled them on the
hospital; and in 1335, he appropriated the church to found a chantry
and three chaplains, in his chapel at the palace in Norwich, the whole
account of which may be seen at p. 48, and in Pt. I. p. 503. In
1334, the King passed a special license, for appropriating Mundham
St. Peter to the hospital, and it was passed by the Bishop in 1340,
reserving out of the profits, a pension of six marks and an half, to be
yearly paid by the hospital to the serving curate or vicar. In 1350,
the King licensed his aunt, Mary Countess of Norfolk, to grant the
advowson of St. Laurence in South-Walsham, to the hospital, to found
a chantry for her there, and to be appropriated to the hospital;
but she making no conveyance of it afterwards, it did not take place.
And this year, the Bishop discharged the hospital from finding three
chaplains to sing for the souls of Hugh de Caily and Agnes his wife;
and the church of Senges or Sething was now confirmed to them;
and in 1381, they had a license in mortmain, for tenements in Calthorp, Lodne, Mundham, Sislond, Hardele, Cosseye, and Repps; and
in 1392, another, for a messuage, six shops, and six acres in Norwich,
of the gift of John Frode or Fryde, clerk, Tho. Spynk, John de Foxle, (fn. 38)
and Richer Crispyng. In 1397, Beatrice Godale of Poswick had a
grant from the hospital of 8s. a year for life, and that they would for
ever keep on the vigil of All-Saints day, an anniversary for the souls
of Wido and Maud her father and mother, and of herself, and William
In 1409, Thomas Lord D'Acre, lord of the honour of Horsford,
licensed Will. Westacre, archdeacon of Norwich, William Rees, Esq.
John de Thornham, rector of Sparham, Edm. Perke, clerk, William
Sedman, merchant, and Walter Eton, citizen, to settle in mortmain
on this hospital, their manor in Cringleford, formerly Adam de Berforth's, which they purchased of Simon Sampson, Esq. which was held
of his manor of Horsford; and in 1411, the said Sedman and Eton
conveyed it to the hospital, with an acre in Wikmere, and Wickmere
advowson, on condition they find one fit chaplain, being no brother of
the hospital, to live as a brother in it, and daily celebrate for the soul
of Master John de Derlington, late archdeacon of Norwich, and all
his family, and for Roger Prat, clerk, late master, and Will. Paston
of Paston, and all the deceased, allowing him a good stipend and
chamber, and yearly clothing. And all was confirmed by the King's
license, who also then confirmed the grant of the prior and convent
of St. Faith at Horsham, made to the hospital, of 200 faggots of
wood yearly, (fn. 39) and 200 chimney faggots, called astilwode, to be yearly
taken out of their lands in Horsham, and carried on Michaelmas day
to the hospital, at the charge of the Prior, for the use of the poor;
and if default be made, the whole estate of the prior of Horsham, was
to be seized for it; and this also licensed the hospital to get Wickmere appropriated, if they could.
In 1424, John Duke of Norfolk, &c. (fn. 40) Walter Bishop of Norwich,
Ralph Shelton, Esq. and John Heydon councellor at law, released to
John Selot, master of the hospital, a messuage, 133 acres and 1 rood
of land, one acre and an half of meadow, 10 acres of pasture, 30
acres of wood, and 7s. 6d. quitrents in Hethil; and two messuages,
119 acres of land, four acres of meadow, and 4l. quitrents in EstCarlton, which they had of the grant of John Turnour, prior of St.
Mary at Alvesbourne, and the convent there.
In 1430, King Henry VI. for his own soul, and that of Queen
Margaret his wife, granted a license in mortmain, for the hospital to
purchase 20l. per annum more, towards the maintenance of the
society, which now consisted of a master, eight chaplains, two
clerks, seven poor scholars for choristers, eight poor bed-rid people
continually lodging in the hospital, 13 poor people daily dined there,
and refreshed at the fire after dinner, besides such poor strangers as
pass by, who are to have a night's lodging there gratis, as many as
the beds kept there for that purpose, would hold; and all poor chaplains in the diocese, overworn with age, or labouring under any constant infirmity, so that they could not officiate, were to be maintained
wholly here, or at least, as many as the revenues could bear; and
also two sisters to wait on the poor in the hospital; so that the state
of it at this time, sufficiently appears from the said license.
In 1446, the Bishop visited the hospital. In 1460, Will. Jenny, John
Jenney, and John Browne, sold their manor of Heylesden in Cringleford,
which was lately Tho. Wetherby's, Esq. whose wife Margaret released
her right in it to the hospital. In 1450, Sir John Fastolff, Knt. (fn. 41) sold
the manor of Mundham, and the advowson of St. Ethelbert's church
there, to Sir Hugh Acton, master of the hospital, for 200 marks, and
it was afterwards appropriated. In 1469, Nic. Abbot of Langley, released several rents paid out of divers houses in Norwich.
The hospital was obliged to find a chaplain in St. Barbara's chapel
at the gild-hall, the whole account of which may be seen at p. 232, 3.
For the foundation of Bishop Goldwell's chantry priest here, see p.
178, and Pt. I. p. 541.
In 1499, the hospital presented to the rectory of Couteshall, of which
John Smith, (fn. 42) late master, had been rector, and because they could not
get it appropriated, the master always had it, and held it with his
In 1532, the hospital leased the site of their manor of Rokels in
Trowse, (fn. 43) with the dove-house, &c. and a faldcourse in Trowse and Bixley, and three hills of bruery called Blake-hills, with Blake's swan-mark
thereto belonging, (fn. 44) and the tenant covenanted among other things in
the manor-house, to leave the three panes of glass, with the image of
St. Giles in them.
In 1535, upon the exchange of the bishoprick's lands and revenues,
the advowson of the hospital came to the King, who in 1537, granted
the mastership to Rob. Codde, who was instituted by the Bishop, and
inducted on his mandate, it being then valued in the King's Books at
90l. and paid first-fruits, and 9l. yearly tenths, as an ecclesiastical
benefice, from which it was afterwards discharged by Edward VI.
In 1536, the hospital leased out the old school-house yard or close
(now Adam and Eve's Gardens) to Dame Jane Calthorp, widow, as it
abutted on the east part of the head mansion of Sir Philip Calthorp,
Knt. her late husband, and on the King's river north. In 1544, Rob.
Codde, master, Rob. Dowe, John Fisher, &c. brethren, leased to Alderman Thomas Codde, all that ground called the Lathe, with the buildings and the Gildencroft, a pightle, and dove-house, and 31 acres in
the field without St. Austin's-gates, and other lands, for 21 years, containing together 53 acres.
King Henry VIII. designed to have dissolved this hospital, and to
have granted it to the city, clear of all first-fruits, tenths, and other
out-payments, to the Crown, but died before it was done: however,
in pursuance of his will, which ordered that all exchanges, promises,
&c. which he had made, should be punctually performed, on the 6th of
March, 1 Edward VI. 1547, William Rugge Bishop of Norwich, as
diocesan and patron, and Nicholas Shaxton, D. D. late Bishop of Salisbury, (fn. 45) master or custos of the hospital or college, and all the brethren, chaplains, or fellows thereof, with the consent of the dean and
chapter, in a full chapter held in the chapter-house of the hospital,
surrendered into the King's hands, the site of the hospital, "and also
all and synguler the manors, land, tenements, hereditaments, church,
lead, bells, tymbre, iron, glasse, tylestones, ornaments, and all other
possessions and things of the same late hospital, in Norfolk, Suffolk,
and Essex," which being thus vested in the King, he by indenture
tripartite dated March 8, in the first year of his reign, (fn. 46) made between
himself on the first part, the honourable Prince, Edward Duke of Somerset, his uncle, counsellor and governour of his Grace's person, and
Lord Protector of his Highness's realms, the Rev. Father in God
Thomas Archbishop of Canterbury, Sir William Pawlet, Knt. of the
Garter, Lord St. John, and great Master of the King's most honourable
household, Sir John Russell, Knt. of the Garter, Lord Russell and
Lord Privy Seal; Sir John Dudley, Knight of the Garter, Earl of Warwick, and great Chamberlain of England; Sir Tho. Wryothesley, Knt.
of the Garter, Earl of Southampton; the Right Rev. Father in God
Cuthbert Tunstall Bishop of Durham; Sir Anthony Browne, Knt. of
the Garter, Master of the King's horse; Sir Will. Paget, Knight of the
Garter, Chief Secretary to the King's Highness; Sir Ant. Denny, Knt.
Sir Will. Herbert, Knt. Sir Edward Montague, Knt. Chief Justice of
the Common Pleas; Sir Thomas Bromeley, Knt. one of the Justices
of the Common Pleas, Edward North, Knt. Chancellor of the King's
Court of Augmentations, Sir Edw. Cotton, and Nic. Wotton, LL. D.
executors of the will of King Henry VIII. on the second part, and the
Mayor, Sheriffs, Citizens, and Commonalty of the city of Norwich
on the third part, for the increase of his honour, and continuance of
his health, "and ffor the Soule of the sayd King Henry the VIIIth,
"his Grace's Father," did give, grant, and covenant, to give and grant
by letters patent to be made before Midsummer following, to the
Mayor, Sheriffs, and commonalty of the city, and their successours
for ever, "All the Site, Circuit, Compas, and Precinct of the late Hospital of St. Gyles, wythyn the Cytie of NORWYCH, in the
Paryshe of St. Elyn nexte Bushhope Gate there, & all the Churche
of the same late Hospytall, and the Lead, Bells, Tymbre, Ironne,
Glasse, Tyle, and Stone, of the same Church, & late Hospytall, and
all th'ornaments of the some Churche and late Hospytall, & all
Plate, Stuf of Houshold, and other Thyngs to the late Church, &
late Hospytall, or to eyther of them, belongyng or appertaynyng,
and also all and syngler Houses, Buyldyngs, Gardynes, Meadows,
Manors, Messuages, Lands, and Tenements, & all other his Graces
Possessyons & Heredytaments, wythyn the Site, Circuyt, & Compas, or Precinct of the sayd late Hospytall; and also all & syngler
his Graces Manors, Personages, Messuages Mylls, Houses, Buyldyngs, Lands, Tenements, Meadows, Fedyngs, Pasturs, Wodds, Undrewodds, Rents, Reversyons, Services, Courts, Leets, Perquysits &
Proffuts of Courts and Leets, Vewse of Frankepleg, Advousons,
Tythes, Oblacons, Pentions, Portions, Wavyes, Strayes, Wards,
Marriages, Releyffs, Harryots, Eschetts, Warrens, Folde Courses,
and all other his Graces Heredytaments; wyth all and syngler theyr
Appurtenances, as well Spirituall as Temporall, of whatsoever Kynd
or Nature they byn of, or by whatsoever Name or Namys the same
byn reputed or taken, scituat lyeng or beyng in the sayd Citie of
Norwych, and in the Counties of Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, and Norwich; and the Rectory and Personage of the same Parysche Church
of Saint Elyn in Holmstret afforesayd, or by whatsoever other Name
or Names the same Church is called or knowen, and the Steple,
Bells, Lead, and Site of the same Church, and all the Tythes, Oblacons, Obvencons, and Offryngs of thynhabytaunts of the same Paryshe from hensforth for the Tyme beyng, and all the Messuages,
Lands, Tenements, Heredytaments, Pencons, Porcons, and other
Proffutts, Revenews, Commodyties, & Possessions, as well Spirituall
as Temporall, of the same Paryshe Church of Saint Elyn, or to the
same Rectory, Personage, or Parysshe Church, or to the Persone
of the same, in the Right of the same belongyng or in any wyse
To have and to hold, &c. to the Mayor, Sheriffs, Citizens, and Commonalty, and their successours for ever, of the King in soccage by fealty
only, and not in chief. The said hospital being to be henceforward a
place and house for relief of poor people, and to be called
God's-house or the House of the Poor in Holmstreet, within the city
of Norwich, of the foundation of King Edward the VI. and King
Henry the VIII. his most noble Father, and it was agreed and confirmed
"That the Church there shall be the Parysshe Church of Saint
Elyn, as heretofore it hath ben used for Dyvyne Servis, wyth all
manner of Sacraments & Sacramentalls, to be from hensforth, sayd,
song, and mynystred there, as well to the Paryshners of St. Elyns
Paryshe in Holmstreet afforesayd, ffor the tyme being, and to thynhabitants wythyn the Site of the sayd late Hospytall for the tyme
being, as also to the poore People, Officers, and Mynysters, from
hensforth to be resydent or commorant wythyn the Precynct of the
sayd Hospytall, and that all Housys, Buyldyngs, Ground, and Soyle,
wythyn the sayd Site of the sayd late Hospytall, shall hereafter be
called GODD's HOWSE, or The Howse of the Poore, as is aforesayd, and from hensforth shall be accepted and taken to be part and
Parcell of the seyd Parysshe & Parysshe Church of Saynt Elyn
in Holmstreet afforesayd, and of none other Paryssne. Any Thyng
heretofore used to the contrary hereof in any wyse notwithstanding."
And there is for ever hereafter to be
"In the sayd Paryshe Churche of St. Elyn, one Pryest sufficiently
lerned, to serve the Cure there, which shall be called the Curate
or Chapeleyn of the Paryshners of Saynt Elyns in Holmstret
next Busshope Gate, and to the Poore of Godd's Howse." His
yearly pension or stipend to be 6l. 13s. 4d. and a sufficient mansionhouse for his habitation within the site and precinct of the late hospital.
And there shall be in the same parish church,
"One other Prieste, which shall be called the Vysytor of the Guyld
Hall in Norwich, (fn. 47) afforesayd, who shall attend to vysit the prisoners of the Guyldhall afforesayd, & from tyme to tyme, to say and
doo Dyvyne Servis & Masse in the Chapell of the sayd Guyldhall,
and to Mynyster Sacraments to the Prisoners there, as heretofore
hath ben accustomed and also shall be Confessor to the sayd Prisoners, and accompany suche as shall go to Execution, and shall be
always resydent there, for the same Purposis," who shall have a
yearly stipend or pension of 6l. and a sufficient mansion-house in the
site of the hospital.
And there shall be from henceforth for ever in the said hospital,
one schoolmaster, (fn. 48) and one usher under him, sufficiently learned in the
Latin tongue, to learn children the art or science of grammar, both
which shall be attendant there for the instructing and teaching of the
said children there, by them to be taught freely without any reward,
other than their stipends and salaries, the schoolmaster to have 10l. per
annum, the usher 6l. 13s 4d. per annum, and convenient mansion-houses
for their habitations and dwellings, within the site of the hospital.
And the King appointed the curate or chaplain, the visitor, schoolmaster and usher, to take of the city their different grants in writing,
under the common seal, for their several stipends and mansions, to have
and to hold to them, "so long and duryng such tyme, as the same
"chapeleyn, visytor, scolemaster, and usher, shall demean themselves
well, and do theyr offyces," The mayor for the time being, with
the assent of the most number of the aldermen then being, always to
have the nomination and appointment of the chaplain, visitor, schoolmaster, and usher, and of all other officers, and ministers of the hospital;
and to amove, expel, and put out from their rooms and offices, any
of them, "for any notable cryme, offence, or neglygence, to be commytted by any of them, or for disobeying, or not doyng and performyng of suche good and reasonable rules, ordynaunces, and precepts,
as shall be prescrybed, assigned, or appoynted to theym, or any of
theym, by the sayd mayor, sheryffs, cytyzyns, and commonaltie, or
theyr successours, to be done, executed, or performed." And the
court is obliged to present to any place void, in three months space,
either in case of vacancy or amotion, and the grants to the chaplain,
&c. are to be made with clauses of distress, in case of non-payment
on the hospital revenues, all other offices but the chaplain, visitor, master, and usher, are to be filled up in a month's time after any avoidance,
and the court is to find sufficient and convenient lodging, meat, drink,
bedding, wood, and all other things necessary for 40 poor persons, to
be resident, lying, abiding, and found, from time to time, in the hospital; and 4 women to make the beds, and attend upon the poor persons,
each of the four to have for their wages and apparel 33s. 4d. per
annum. "The same fourty poor persons, and every of them, are to
be always removeable from day to day, wyke to wyke, moneth to
moneth, and tyme to tyme," and others to be taken and received
into their rooms and places, at and by the discretion of such person
and persons, as shall be named and elected from time to time, by the
mayor and most part of the aldermen, to admit, receive, take and
remove to and from the said house, the said 40 poor persons, the
mayor and greater part of the aldermen, are to choose one sufficient
person to be cater or steward, (fn. 49) of and for the provision of the
poor there, and he to have yearly one coat or gown of 10s. price, for
his livery, and 40s. for his wages, and sufficient meat and drink in the
said house. And also a sufficient person to be rent-gatherer, or collector (fn. 50) of the rents and revenues of such possessions as belong to the
hospital, he to have 3l. per annum, for his fee. And also one convenient person to be porter or butler, he to have a coat or gown of
10s. price for his livery, and 26s. 8d. for his wages, and sufficient
meat and drink in the said house. And also one other convenient
person to be cooke, baker, and brewer, who is to have a coat or gown
of 10s. for his livery, and 26s. 8d. for his wages, and sufficient meat
and drink in the said house.
The city had now also license to receive by purchase, bargain,
sale, alienation, gift, grant, legacy, bequest, or otherwise, of the Kings
of the realm, or any bodies politick, or any other persons, any manors,
parsonages, lands, tenements, tithes, rents, reversions or other revenues, to 200l. per annum value, over and above all the ancient
revenues of the hospital, though they be held in chief of the King,
or of any other person by any tenure, notwithstanding the act of
"And the sayd Mayor, Sheryffs, Cytizens, and Commonaltye, did
Covenaunt, Promyse, and graunt for theym, and theyr Successours,
to and with the Kynge, his Heyrs and Successours, that the whole
yearly Proffits and Revenuse of the sayd Manors, Lands, Tenements, Tythes, Possessions, Heredytaments, and other the Premysses appoynted to be gyven and graunted to the sayd Mayor,
Sheryffs, Cytyzens, and Commynaltye, and their Successours; and
whiche the sayd Mayor, Sheryffs, Cytyzens and Commynaltye,
shall by, and purchase, or that shall be gyven them by Reason of
the sayd Lycence over and besyds the fynding of the sayd Chapeleyn, Visitor, Scolemaster, and Usher, and other necessary Mynysters
and Offycers, as are before appoynted to be found by the sayd
Mayor, Sheriffs, Cytizens, and Commonaltie, and over and besyds
mayntayning of the necessary Reparations, and Buyldyngs of the
said Hospytall, and every of theym, and the Successours of every
of theym, and all and every theyr Pencons, Salaryes, and Stypends,
as also the sayd Manors, Personages, Lands, Tenements, and other
the Premysses to be given." Or that shall hereafter any way come
and belong to the hospital, shall be expended on the hospital, the
officers, and poor people there, which are to be augmented as the
revenues increase; the said mayor, sheriffs, citizens and commonalty,
and their successours, to be always rulers and governours, of the hospital or God's-house, and of the people there; and the King, (notwithstanding the statute of 26 Henry VIII. which gave all tenths
and first fruits to the King,) for ever discharged the hospital and all
churches appropriated to it from all such payments, (fn. 51) upon showing
these letters patent to the chancellor of the Augmentation Office.
All this was confirmed by letters patent under the broad seal, dated
at Westminster, 7th May, 3d Edward VI. Ao. 1549, without any fee.
And by (the charter or) letters patent all the old possessions were
granted in the same and as ample a manner, as to spirituals and temporals, as any master ever held them, they being then valued at
142l. 19s. 2d. ob. and were to be held of the King's manor of Gimmingham, in free soccage by fealty only.
And thus it continued till Febr. 5, 14 Eliz. 1571, when that Queen
augmented it with the lands of Robert Redman, grocer, of Norwich,
in Cringleford, Intwoad, Hetherset, Cantley, Colney, and Eaton, which
were forfeited on his being attainted of high-treason. All which her
Majesty settled for the support of an exhibition (fn. 52) to be paid out of the
hospital revenues, and to increase the maintenance of the poor there,
for which purpose she granted license in mortmain to purchase 20l.
per annum more for the use of the hospital, and 40l. per annum for the
use of the city. Since which time, divers purchases have been
made, sufficient to support a chaplain or master, cater or steward, and
100 poor people, men and women, (the nurses included,) all clothed
in gray, none of which should be admitted under 60 years of age.
The Revenues of this Hospital
As they were accounted for in the year 1728, and such annual Sums
as they are obliged to pay, are as follow, viz.
|East Winch, of John Cotton, Esq. for a Fee-farm
Rent reserved out of the Lands conveyed by the
City, given by Augustine Blomefield, Gent.
|Alderford, for Lands given by Francis Rugge,
Alderman, to maintain two poor people in the hospital, 8l.|
|Pakenham's Manor in Shropham, given by Will.
Rogers, late mayor, and was purchased of Sir Arthur Hevenningham, Knt. with the impropriate
Great Tithes, and the Advowson of the Vicarage,
(see Hist. Norf. vol. i. p. 452, 8,) Quitrents about
12l. per annum Rent, &c.|
|Bradcarr-Hall Manor there, Quitrents about 14l.
per annum yearly Rents of Tithes, Demeans, &c.
out of the Tonnage for Interest of 200l. lent the
City, for half a year, 5l. &c.||163||1||20|
|Houses, Lands, &c. in Holmestreet in Norwich||23||0||0||0|
|Ditto in Holmestreet and St. Vedast's||64||19||6||0|
|Ditto in St. Vedast and St. Peter per Montergate||79||5||0||0|
|Ditto in St. Peter per Montergate, St. Bennet, St.
Martin at the Oak, St. Austin, St. Andrew, and
|Ditto in St. Peter Mancroft, St. Stephen, and St.
Martin at the Palace||22||2||9||0|
|Ditto in St. Peter Southgate, St. Helen, St. Simon,
St. Andrew, St. John Sepulchre, St. Julian and
Saint Martin at the Oak||21||13||4||0|
|Ditto in St. Martin at the Oak, St. Michael at the
Thorn, St. Catherine, St. Margaret in FibriggeGate, All-Saints there, and Saint Saviour's||46||4||8||0|
|Ditto in St. George of Colgate, St. Clement, Little
St. Mary, St. George of Tombland, St. John in
Maddermarket, and Heigham||53||0||0||0|
|Revenues given by Mr. Fawcet (see Pt. I. p. 368, 9,)
for the maintenance of two poor Worsted Weavers
of Fibrigge Ward, in St. George of Colgate, St.
Austin, and St. Paul, and other Revenues in Sprowston, Carrow, and Cringleford||35||19||0||0|
|The Manor of Cringleford 22l. 2s. Site of Trowse
Rockel's Manor, and the Demean Lands 104l. per
annum. Lands purchased of John Debney there,
26l. Blake's Messuage and Lands there 45l.||197||2||0||0|
|More from the Manor of Rockel's aforesaid 19s. 11d.
Lands in Catton 14l. per annum. Cosseye Rectory, Houses, Glebes, Tithe Corn, and Barn 80l.||94||19||11||0|
|Calthorp, a Messuage, Lands, and Aldercarrs, and
four Acres and an half in Erpingham 45l. 13s. 1d.
Lands in Horsford 11l. Hardley Rectory and
Vicarage, with all the Houses, Glebes, &c. let to the
Curate or Parish Chaplain for his life, at 10l. per
annum, and 20 combs of Barley, yearly to be delivered to the Keeper of the Hospital. In South
Burlingham 1s. per annum. Sethyng Tithe Barn
and Corn 56l. per annum. Mundham Rectory
and Tithes let at 45l. per annum||167||14||1||0|
|Mundham Manor, Bixley Land, let at 50l. per annum, of which 33l. 6s. 8d. belongs to the Boys
Hospital, and 16l. 13s. 4d. to this. Part of Choseley's Manor Demeans in Wimondham 9l.||44||5||8||3|
|From Choseley's Manor in Wimondham, and EastCarelton cum Hethil and Wrenn's close there 80l.
|Manor of East-Carleton cum Hethill||9||10||2||ob|
|South Walsham, the Advowson of the Vicarage and
the Parsonage, and Tithe Corn let to the Vicar at
8l. per annum, and 40 combs of Wheat, and 24
combs of Barley to be yearly delivered to the
Keeper of the Hospital. Reppes cum Bastwick|
|Rectory let to Geo. Hill, clerk, at 14l. per annum.
Lands in Melton Magna 30l. 10s. In Fobbing in
Essex, a Messuage, Barn, and two Marshes 70l.
In Salthouse and Wroxham, a Messuage, Lands,
two Fisheries, a Tenement, and nine Acres, late
purchased of John Houghton, Esq. 30l. In Haddisco a Marsh 26l.||178||10||0||0|
|of the City Chamberlain for the other half Year's
Interest of the 200l. lent the City||5||0||0||0|
|of the Keeper of the Hospital for the corn Rents, viz.
80 combs Barley delivered by the Occupiers of the
Lands without St. Austin's-Gates. 26 combs one
bushel Wheat by the Farmer of the Tithes of
Seething formerly delivered. 26 combs one bushel
Wheat formerly delivered from Mundham Tithes.
20 combs of Wheat from South-Walsham Tithes,
and 10 combs abated the Tenant; and other Corn
out of Repps and Bastwick. The whole Corn
Rents valued this year at||55||0||0||0|
|The Keeper hath the site of God's-house or Hospital, with the Meadow, Orchards, Grounds, Gardens, Barns, and Stables, within the Precincts of
the same, as belonging to his office, without any
thing paid therefore.|
|The Foreign Receipts for Wood, &c. from the Estates, and a Legacy of 50l. given by Alderman Drake,
amounted to 79l. 1s. 10d. q. this year, but is not to
charged as annual Income.|
Which Revenues are subject to the following annual Payments, besides
Taxes, Repairs, &c. the clear Overplus being to maintain as many
Poor as it can:
|To the Master, Chaplain, or Curate (besides his house
rent free in the Hospital, and what he can make of his
parish of St. Helen or St. Giles in Holmestreet, (fn. 53) which
is voluntary contribution, amounting in Dr. Prideaux's
time to 8l.) a clear rent charge or annuity of 30l.||30||0||0|
|To the Master of the Free-school 50l. per annum, besides
his house by the school, which he hath in lieu of that
appointed him by the charter in the hospital, a clear
|To the Usher of the said school, the clear salary being
24l and 6l. per annum allowed instead of a dwellinghouse, which he was to have in the hospital, gratis||30||0||0|
|To the City Chaplain or Visitor of the Gild-hall a clear
stipend of 16l. per annum, 6l. in lieu of his dwelling in
the hospital. 6l. for his stipend as Visitor of the Goal,
and 4l. as Chaplain of the Chapel of St. Barbara. (See
|To the perpetual Curate of Cosseye, which is in the donation of the city||40||0||0|
|To the Curate of Reppes cum Bastwick, which is in the
donation of the city, a clear stipend of||25||0||0|
|To the Curate of Sethyng, which is in their donation, a
clear stipend of||5||6||8|
|To the Vicarage of Calthorp, which is in the city's presentation, a clear pension of||2||0||0|
|To the Vicarage of South Walsham St. Mary, which is in
the said presentation, a pension of||5||0||0|
|To the Curate or Chaplain (see p. 97) of St. Peter per
Montergate, a clear annuity of||10||0||0|
|To the Curate or Parish Chaplain (see p. 75) of St.
Etheldred, which is in the city's donation, a clear pension of||5||0||0|
|For a Student in Cambridge, a clear exhibition of 4l. per
annum, to be nominated to by the city||4||0||0|
|To St. Peter per Montergate Parish, Mr. Codde's yearly
gift 1l. 6s. 8d. and charges about his anniversary sermon
kept there 2l. 1s. 8d.||3||8||4|
|To the Recorder of the City||6||0||0|
|The Treasurer's Salary||20||0||0|
|His Salary as Bailiff of Pakenham's Manor||1||0||0|
|The Cater or Keeper's wages, besides the houses, &c. as
|The Parish Clerk's wages, as Clerk to the Hospital||1||0||0|
|For the Anniversary or Foundation Sermon at the Hospital church, (fn. 54) to the Preacher 1l. Parish-clerk 2s. 6d.||1||2||6|
|The Town-clerk's salary for making up the Hospital Accounts and Pakenham's||3||0||0|
|To Edward Molden a year's salary as Bailiff appointed to
look after the Hospital Estates||26||0||0|
|To the Curate of Cringleford yearly for tithes of the mills||1||15||0|
|The Barber to the old men hath a salary of||1||6||8|
|To the City-chamberlain out of Pakenham's Manor, for
the discharge of all toll at the city gates||8||0||0|
|To the Chamberlain for a year's rent of the Swan Bank
1l. 10s. and for rent of a Lane in St. Helen's 6s. 8d.||1||16||8|
|Archbishop Parker's yearly annuity to (see Pt. I. p. 311)
Bennet college in Cambridge||8||0||0|
|His Sermon at St. Clement's in Ascension Week (see Pt.
I. p. 312.)||2||0||0|
|To Sir John Morden's Hospital on Blackheath, a fee farm
rent of 10l. (but taxes are to be deducted)||10||0||0|
|To the Master of Aylesham Free-school, (fn. 55) a clear annuity of||10||0||0|
|To Norfolk Archdeacon for a year's procurations and synodals for their appropriated churches||1||15||7||0|
|To Norwich Archdeacon Ditto||1||1||3||0|
|Quitrents yearly to Carrow Manor 5s. 10d.; Trowse
Newton Manor 1l. 19s. 11d. 0b.; to Amners or Almoners Manor 1l. 1s. 10d.; to the Norman's Manor 2s. 8d.
q.; to the Lord Bishop 13s. 8d.; to Wroxham Manor
12s.; to Framlingham Manor 5s.; a fee farm rent to
Thomas Heath, Esq. 7s. 5d.; to East Carlton Manor,
late Townesend's 2s.; Rents of Assize to the Chamberlain 3s. 9d. 3q.; to the Dean and Chapter for parcel of the charnel 3s. 4d. (see page 48,) to them for
a year's pension out of Trowse Blake's and St. Helen's
4l.; in all||9||17||6||ob.|
|So that there remains for taxes, repairs, and Maintenance, in meat, drink, washing, lodging, and clothing the poor people,||£1046||7||7||0|
The Masters of the Hospital,
The Masters of The Hospital, were presented to the Bishop, after the chaplains, brethren, or fellows of the hospital or college had elected them, and by him were
instituted, and afterwards inducted by whoever the Bishop directed
his letters mandatory to, for that purpose.
1249, Master Hamon de Calthorp, who was nominated by the
founder in the foundation deed; (see Pt. I. p. 486-10.) In 1257, he was
called Sir Hamon de Belton, probably he had that benefice; and
1289, Martin de Brunsted.
1292, Tho. de Hemmesby, who died in 1311, and was buried here
with this inscription on a brass plate,
Dic iacet Thomas de Demesby Capellanus quondam Magister
istius Hospitlais, cuius anime propiciertur Deus.
1312, Peter de Herlingflet, brother here, elected master.
1360, Roger de Metyngham; he resigned, and in
1372, Master John de Derlington, archdeacon of Norwich, was
collated; see Pt. I. p. 639.
1375, Roger de Erpingham.
1394, John son of Rob. de Thornham, resigned.
1395, Benedict Cobbe; he died master.
1399, Roger Prat, rector of Heigham by Norwich; on his resignation, he had letters of confraternity, and the apartment late Archdeacon Derlington's, with a chamber and stable, for life.
1412, Rob. Spencer, he died in 1431, and Rob. Spencer, clerk, was
1431, Mr. Willam Sekyngton, LL.B. rector of Sutton, inducted by
Roger Prat, rector of Heigham, who was again inducted into the
mastership on Sekyngton's resignation, in 1432.
1436, Master John Walpole, rector of Shipdham, brother to Bishop
Walpole, (see Pt. I. p. 495.)
1437, Mr. Hugh Acton, clerk, notary publick.
1464, John Selot, alias Salet, LL. D. Archdeacon of Sudbury, and
rector of Winterton and Colteshale, chancellor, &c. (see Pt. I. p. 632.)
Mr. John Smith, LL. inceptor, chancellor, (see Pt. I. p. 633,)
rector of Yaxham and Colteshale, died in 1489, and gave his manor
of Rollesby for 80 years to the hospital, to found a chantry priest
there, for the souls of John and Joan Smith, his father and mother,
Master Peter Shelton, and all his brethren, and his own soul; and
after that term, to come to his right heirs, if license in mortmain could
not be obtained; he gave also in the same manner, his lands in Couteshall, to keep his obit every Tuesday after Trinity Sunday; and his
lands in Bilting ford, to Trinity-hall in Cambridge, to keep his obit
there, and his lands in North-Walsham to Holm abbey, to find a monk
to sing for him in St. Anne's chapel in that monastery church, and was
buried in the choir of the hospital, at the reading desk.
1489, Oliver Dynham, A. M. rector of Coltishall, and Archdeacon
of Norfolk; see Pt. I. p. 644.
1495, Thomas Schenkwyn, Archdeacon of Sudbury, and rector of
Colteshall; see Pt. I. p. 648; he died in
1497, and Nic. Goldwell, Archdeacon of Sudbury, succeeded, (see
Pt. I.p. 648.)
1498, Robert Honywood, LL. D. rector of Coltishall, Archdeacon
of Norwich, &c. (see Pt. I. p. 640.)
1499, he resigned, and John Julles, alias Jullys, was elected by John
Dowe, president of the hospital, and the brethren there; he was rector of Coltishall, and died master, and was succeeded in his rectory
and mastership, in
1513, by Will. Sooper; and he in
1526, by John Hekker, chaplain to Bishop Nix, who died in
1532, and was succeeded by Tho. Cappe, doctor of decrees, who
resigned and had a pension of 4l. per annum for life.
1535, Tho. Simondes, the Bishop's domestick chaplain, who resigned in
1537, in which year King Henry VIII. by virtue of the revenues of
the see, then in his hands, by the late exchange, granted the mastership for life, to Rob. Codde, priest, and the Bishop instituted him, and
granted letters for his induction, and sware him to observe the statutes; he and five others subscribed the King's supremacy: he died
in 1546, and was brother to Mayor Codde. (See Pt. I. p. 93, 8.)
1546, Nic. Shaxton, D. D. and some time master of Gonvile and
Caius college in Cambridge, according to Godwin, (de Præsul. p. 408,)
though I do not find him among the masters there, was elected master
here by the brethren, and instituted by the Bishop. This doctor was
Bishop of Salisbury, which he resigned July 1,1539, the same day
that Bishop Latimer resigned Worcester, and for the same cause; but
not retaining the same constancy, he afterwards preached at the
burning of Anne Askew, and others, and recanted that doctrine, for
defending of which he lost his bishoprick. He died at Gouvile-hall
in Cambridge, Aug. 4, 1556, where he had been president and fellow,
and lies buried in the chapel there; in his will he styles himself suffragan to the Bishop of Ely; he was the last master here, that had
institution and induction from the Bishop. He resigned this mastership
March 6, 1st Edward VI. 1546.
And from this time, the power of appointing the master, who was
henceforth called the curate or chaplain of the parishioners of St.
Elyn's in Holme-street, and of the poor of God's-house, was vested
in the mayor and aldermen, who are to name and appoint him under
their common seal, to the Bishop, who is to license him thereupon;
and the Bishop hath the same power of visiting the hospital, as before
the charter, and may fill up the chaplain's, visitor's, master's, or usher's
places, if the court do not make grants of such places in three months
space, after any vacancy or amotion; and all other offices, if they be
not filled up by the court in one month's space after any avoidance.
This church, parish, and hospital, is exempt from the jurisdiction of
the dean and chapter, and of the Archdeacon of Norwich, who hath
no power to visit here, they being under the visitation, jurisdiction, and
correction, of the Bishop himself only, as to all spirituals, in the same
manner as before the charter.
1744, (fn. 56) the Rev. William Harvey, rector of Lyng and Marsham,
is the present master, chaplain or curate.
1744, (fn. 57) Alderman Simeon Waller is now treasurer. And
Mr. Jonathan Ward is the present keeper, cater, or steward. (fn. 58)
The number of poor people are now reduced to 86, and their
four nurses, in all 90.
The religious concerned here were, the Abbots of Brunne and Saltrey, (fn. 59) and the Priors of Norwich (fn. 60) and Westacre. (fn. 61)
God's will be done, mine is as follows:
I Henry Jay late of London, goldsmith, now in Stoke Newington
Middlesex, do give and bequeath to Mrs. Anne Lewis, 50l. per annum
for life, Oct. 27, 1733.
"Febr. 10, 1734, explanation and direction how the 50l. per annum
is to be given after the decease of Mrs. Anne Lewis. 200l. to the
hospital of old men and women in the city of Norwich Bishop-gate
street, to have some veal for change. For 10 poor boys of the
parish of St. Martin's at the Palace, 50l. to put them out to handy
craft trades; and to 40 old men and women 25s. each, 20 the first
year, and the other 20 the second year, and not twice to one, if
there is poor enough in their own parish, and no others; 50 pounds
in the city of Norwich." Proved at London with two codicils, 12
Sept. 1738, by Tho. Ridge, the surviving executor. In Cur. Prerog.
Cant. (Will Book in the Gild-hall, fo. 114 b.
28 Sept. 1736, John Gray of Southwich in Sussex, clerk, settled
on the Bishop of Norwich, the curate of the parish of St. Martin by
the Palace of Norwich, and the churchwardens there, and their successours for ever, and on divers other trustees, the sum of 5l. a year,
which the city, for the sum of 125l. paid them by Mr. Gray, gave
security to pay yearly on the 29th day of September; 2l. of which is
yearly to be paid on the 10th day of December, to the curate of St.
Martin by the Palace, and his successours; on condition, that on
that day he yearly preaches in the said church, "a sermon concerning the great Christian duty of love and charity, or the usefulness
and advantages of a good education, or preparation for the holy communion at the festival then approaching, or God's love to mankind,
in sending his only begotten Son into the world; or any other subject, that the said curate or his successor shall think needfull and
seasonable." And the curate is every Lent, or whenever he thinks
proper, "publickly to examine and instruct the children and youth
of the parish, in the church catechism, and not only to hear them
repeat it, but by some short exposition, or plain texts of Scripture,
make them understand it; and upon the day he shall finish his
course of catechising, or upon the 10th of December yearly, shall
distribute among such children and youth of the parish, as he
shall judge most deserving, for their distinct repeating the catechism, and their good understanding of it, a small portion of the
said 40s. not less than half a crown, nor shall be obliged to give
more than 5s. on this account." The trustees on the 10th of December after sermon, are to distribute other 20s. part of the 5l. to the
clerk of the parish for ringing the bell, &c. 4s. and the other 16s. to
such poor of the parish, not exceeding 20 in number, "who are
diligent and industrious, and not only profess themselves members
of the church by law establised, but lead good and sober lives, and
frequent the prayers of the church and holy communion," and this
distribution may be in bread, or in little practical and devotional
books, or in money, as the trustees please. The other 40s. per annum
may be applied to clothing poor people, or putting out a child or
children, "or if at any time there be a promising youth in the said
parish, who hath a genius for learning, and is educated at the freeschool in the city of Norwich, and whose parents or relations are
in mean circumstances, the aforesaid remaining produce, of one,
two or three years, may by the trustees be applied toward the maintenance of such youth at Corpus Christi college in Cambridge. And
this he did in testimony of his gratitude to Almighty God, for
his great goodness to him, in raising him up many friends, by whose
encouragement and assistance he had the advantage of a better
education than others of his rank and condition, and in blessing
him not only with a competent, but a plentifull subsistance, far
beyond what he could ever expect or hope for, and out of the great
love and benevolence he bears to the inhabitants of St. Martin by
the Palace, being the place of his nativity." And if Anne West his
sister, or her children, or their descendants, should through any misfortune stand in need of relief, upon making known their wants to the
curate and church-wardens, they shall have the preference in this
donation. He ordered an ingrossed copy of the deed of settlement
to be hung up in the vestry, to be read by the curate every 10th day
of December, to the parishioners in the vestry, after service and sermon, to prevent abuses or wrong application thereof. A copy of the
deed to be deposited in the Bishop's office, and entered also in the
Gild-hall; the corporation's security for the annuity, to be kept by
the curate and church-wardens, and when the feoffees are dead to six,
they to renew to themselves, and six others of the parish. (Will Book
in the Gild-hall, fo. 110.)
(108) The Tower in the Hospital meadow, called the Dungeon, is about 52 feet high, and 24 feet within; the staircase is on
the south side, and is very large; it was built at first, to command the
passage of the river there, in order to levy the tolls then belonging
to the prior and church, and was used as a prison for the jurisdiction
of the cathedral, till the toll-house for that purpose was removed into
Holm-street, and then it was assigned to the hospital, and was in a
ruinous state till 1378, when the master of the hospital conveyed it,
by the name of the Great Tower called the Dungeon to the city for
ever, and it was rebuilt by the city, at a great expense, being finished
in 1390. In 1565, the tower in the hospital meadow was leased out to
the Lord Matravers, and he was to have a way from Bishopbridge to it.
(109) Bishop's Bridge
Was so called because it led directly to the Bishop's palace, and in
1249 belonged to the see; it being then repaired by the Bishop and
Priors of Norwich and St. Leonard, but afterwards being a general
inlet also into the city, it was agreed to be in the citizen's hands, and
accordingly it hath belonged to, and been maintained by, the city,
ever since 1393, and they always appointed a porter to live over, and
keep the gates; but the hermit which dwelt by them was always
nominated by the prior, and the hermit's house, at the Dissolution,
was assigned to the church
And now having finished all the part of the city on the south side
of the river shall proceed over
(110) White-Friars, or St. Martin's Bridge,
To the only remaining great ward, commonly called the Northern