HEGHAM or HEIGHAM,
Which was in the hundred of Humbleyard in Norfolk, till it was
afterwards made part of the county of the city of Norwich, as it now
remains, it being in the ward of West-Wimer, and as such enjoys
all privileges, &c. of the city and ward.
It took its name from its situation on the river, Ea-ham, or Heham,
being no more than the village at the water. This town was given by
Wulfricus, a Saxon, (who then owned it,) to the abbey of Holm in
Norfolk, (fn. 1) and I take it to be that Wolfric, who began to repair the
chapel of St. Benedict at Holm, after Inguar and Hubba the Danes,
had demolished the old chapel, and killed the hermits that resided
there, of whom there is a full account in the Monasticon, vol. i. fo.
283; for it appears by Domesday Book, (fn. 2) that it belonged to the abbey
from its foundation, and was held at three carrucates, two of which
were demeans, and the other in the hands of the tenants; the whole
in the Confessor's time was worth 4l. per annum, and 5l. in the Conqueror's. There was also a freeman under the abbot's protection, (fn. 3)
who had 33 acres of land and meadow valued at 2s. per annum, and
it paid 2d. 3q. to the geld or tax. Abbot William, the first of that
name, granted to Thomas, son of Thurburn the priest, this town of
Heham, in fee-farm for life; and William, the second abbot of that
name, granted it to Richard Basset in fee-farm for life, at 10l.
per annum, and agreed to receive him into the fraternity of their
convent, and annually kept his obit. This deed being curious for
its form, handwriting, and seal, Sir Simonds D'ewes, to whom Sir
Will. Neve, Clarencieux, gave it, had it engraved, and the exact
representation of it appears on the copperplate here inserted: concerning which, I have added a note of Sir Simond's own writing. (fn. 4) In
the time of Hen. II. a fine was levied of this manor, and it was confirmed to the abbot by Will. de Neovillâ or Nevile, and Henry his
brother; and the King gave special order, that the abbot should not
lose his land, enclosed within the New Ditch that the burgesses of
Norwich had made without the town, after the death of Henry I. (fn. 5)
This included all Lower or Nether Heyham, which was always in the
suburbs of Norwich, and was made as the boundary for the liberties of
the city. In Henry the Third's time the Abbot had view of frankpledge, and the assise of bread and ale, a common gallows, and other
liberties, so that the King's Bailiff of Humbleyard hundred was
present in court, and received 2s. yearly. And it appears, that this
manor was then held as parcel of the abbot's barony of Tunsted.
In 1227, the abbot granted to Peter and Nicholas Chese, (fn. 6) 24 acres of
land, and half a water-mill, in Heham, with common of pasture for
200 sheep; and in 1242, the abbot conveyed to Robert Hauteyn,
common of fishery in the waters and rivers of Heham and Heylesden,
viz. free fishing from the head of the mill-dam of Heham (fn. 7) on both
sides the river to Kelbes-acre; and Will. le Boteler released to Abbot
Nicholas, all his right of commonage in King's Holm and Unkelbeve
meadow, and elsewhere in this town; these mills were called
Chese's, Bumpstede's, Appleyard's, or Westwic Mills, and
stood near Heyham-gates in Heyham; Robert son of John Chese,
sold his part in 1292, to Peter de Bumpstede and Kat. his wife. John
son of Peter had it; and now there were two mills under one roof,
one held of the abbot, and the other of the Prior; they after belonged to Will. Appleyerd, and Nic. Appleyerd, Esq. and in 1470, to
Margaret Appleyerd; in 1536, the Bishop of Norwich, as Abbot of
St.Bennet, leased out all his watermill in Heigham next Norwich, and
all the houses belonging thereto, and a meadow between the mill-dam
and the water descending from Scalby, and the great meadow, and
the meadow environed with water coming from the said mill, lying on
the east part thereof, and all the right of fishing from and against St.
Laurence's-acre, on the west part of the mill, unto, and against the
creke of water, between Heigham-common, and the great meadow on
the east part of the same.
In 1393, it was agreed and acknowledged by the city, that the
abbot's tenants and the parishioners of Heigham, were not to be summoned or distrained by the bailiffs of Norwich, in any case.
The abbot was taxed for his temporalities here at 13l. 9s. 7d. and
the whole village paid 2l. 5s. to the tenths, but had a deduction of 9s.
out of it on account of the lands belonging to the religious.
In 1549, Thomas Holl farmed the manor of the bishoprick, at
16l. 16s. 3d. q. per annum, and had for his fee as bailiff of it 4l. per
annum, and 4l. 16s. for 6 combs of corn to be delivered at the palace
for the Bishop's use. (See Pt. I. p. 147.)
The manor is now held by lease of the bishoprick, and the advowson of the rectory is still appendant to it. The following
Were Presented By The Abbots Of Holm.
1313, John de Hovetone, accolite.
1314, Will. de Broke, accolite, who changed for Swanton rectory, in
1320, with Alexander de Berneye, priest.
1327, Silvester at Gates of Norwich, priest, who changed for
1354, with John de Thefford, who was succeed by
1397, Roger Batt, on whose death in
1443, John Poppy was instituted, who resigned in
1445, to Master John Aylesham, at whose death in
1449, the said Rob. Poppy, who was then a licenciate in the decrees,
was instituted again, and in
1454, changed it for Weston Longvile, with Master Simon Thornham, who the same day changed it for Yaxham, with
Master Hugh Acton, who died in 1455, and was succeeded by
Tho. Folkard, who was buried in the chancel in 1461, and
gave a silver cup and cover to the altar; and was succeeded by
Ric. Brakeburge, on whose resignation in
1465, John Munde had it, and was buried here in 1504.
Elias Bartram succeeded, and died rector in
1517, and Henry Wyat, Knt. as assignee to the abbot, gave it to
John Thuxton, who resigned in 1523, to Cornelius Balls, who
died rector in
1526, and Will. Page, A. M. was the last presented by Holm
In 1555, the Bishop, as Abbot of Holm, having all the spiritualities and temporalities of that abbey, presented
Will. Askoe, (fn. 8) and the Abbot's portion of 20s. out of this
church, was taxed at 2s.
1576, John Morgan. The Bishop reserved two parts of the tithes
of the demeans to himself, at this institution.
1585, Tho. Plumbe; he died rector in 1660, and was succeeded by
Paul Chapman, A. M. and afterwards, B.D. who in the
year 1603, returned 140 communicants in this parish, and that he
held it united to Titshall; (fn. 9) at his death in 1630, (fn. 10)
Tho. Stokes, A. M. was presented, and was ejected out of this, and
Carleton-Road rectory, by the Earl of Manchester, Apr. 28, 1644,
though he had a wife and three children, for refusing to contribute
to the rebellion, &c. (fn. 11) and after many intruders in 1652, Bishop Hall,
after he had retired to this suburbian village, instituted
John Whitefoot, (fn. 12) sen. his friend, into this rectory, who enjoyed it
peaceably till his resignation, to his son
John Whitefoot, junior, (fn. 13) in 1682, at whose death, in
1731, the Rev. Mr. Anthony Aufrere, A. M. the present 
rector, was instituted, being presented by the Archbishop of Canterbury, in right of his option.
It is valued in the King's Books (by the name of Higham by Norwich) at 6l. 13s. 4d. and pays 13s. 4d. yearly tenths, and not being
discharged, is incapable of augmentation; it pays no synodals, as being
in the Bishop's patronage, but 6s. 8d. procurations, being subject to
the visitation of the Archdeacon of Norfolk; but pays no first fruits.
At Norwich Domesday's valuation, there was neither house nor glebe;
it was valued at eight marks, besides the abbot's portion of 20s. which
was a perpetual composition made with the rector, in lieu of two
parts of the tithes of his demeans, which were due to the convent,
The carvage was 2d. and the Peter-pence 18d. The church was dedicated to St. Bartholomew, and there was a gild kept in it, in honour of
that Saint and the Blessed Virgin. It is called in many wills, "Staunford St. Bartilmew next Norwich," and the town is sometimes called
Heham or Staunford.
The religious concerned here were, the Abbot of Bury, (fn. 14) who had
land of the gift of Gilbert le Claver, and confirmation of Alexander de
la Cressimere. The Abbot of Langley, who had 46s. 3d. of lands and
rents here, and in Erlham; and the Prior of Bukenham 2s. 6d.
The church and chancel are 26 yards long; the breadth, including
the isle, is 11 yards; there is a north porch, and square tower with
three bells in it; the church is thatched, the isle and chancel are
In 1377, Alice de Rockland was buried in the church, and Ralf
Stalon, barkere, or tanner, in 1471.
Thomas Holly, or Holl, of Aylesham, married Lucy, daughter
of Mr. Newport of Pelham in Hertfordshire; he bare or, on a chevron
sab. three unicorns heads erased, attired arg. Crest, a sea-dragon
gul. gutté de or, which was confirmed by Rob. Cook, Clarencieux, A°
1576, in which it is said, to be first granted to John Holly of Norwich,
he died in 1557, (fn. 15) and is buried in this church, and left John, Thomas,
and Henry, his brothers, Tho. and Edmund, his sons, and the advowson of Swanton, he gave his wife. Tho. Holl, Esq. his eldest son, lies
by him; who by Jane, daughter of Mr. Barker of Norwich, had two
sons, John Holl of Metton in Norfolk, who married Alice, daughter of
Mr. Anthony Styles of Norwich; and Thomas Holl, Esq. his second
son, who died March 3, 1630, as a brass plate shows, on which is his
effigies. Thomas Holl, lord of the manor, died 1628, 62. Elen, Dr.
of Augustine Holl, Esq. 1633. Holl impales Wodehouse of Waxham, for Frances, wife of Aug. Holl, Esq. eldest daughter of Will.
Wodehouse of Waxham; which Augustine was son of Rob. Holl, by a
daughter of Jenney's. Rob. Holl, brother and heir to Augustine, (who
had no issue,) married Anne, daughter of Sir Tho. Guybon of Thursford, and had Augustine Holl, lord of the manor of Twyford in 1720.
In the chancel, Bishop Hall's monument, and other stones of his
family, for which see Pt. I. p. 580.
In Memoriam Thomæ Hearinge Armigeri qui obijt xxi° die
Martij A. D. 1636, Æt. suæ 85. Hoc Monumentum Thomas
Dey, and Rob. Norse Generosi Executores Testamenti sui
Quis jacet hic? Thomas Hearinge, qualis, Deus ipse,
(Dicere si fas sit) Largitione Piâ.
Quæ fecit, dum vixit, egenis munera sparsit,
Qualia, vix unquam secula nostra vident,
Mors qualis fuerat moribundus pace beatus,
Dona serens, summi scandit ad astra poli.
On a hatchment, 1st sab. three pheons arg. quartering Herring,
az. three herrings arg. impaling, arg. on a bend az. between three demilions passant gul. three bezants, a chief indented per fess arg. and sab.
Gwynn, gul. on a chevron between three lions saliant or. Eliz.
wife of Rice Gwyn of Fakenham, Esq. 1654. Eliz. daughter of Robert and Mary Johnson 1669. Charles Rawlins senior, 1646. Anne
his wife, daughter of Nic. Dannock Esq. 1654. Mr. John Brabourne;
he gave 100l. to the Children's hospital, 12l. to 12 poor parishes, and
5l. to the poor of this parish. Mrs. Anne Guybon 1688.
Sir Peter Seaman (see p. 282) bought the lease of the manor and
estate, &c. of Mr. Holl; and Thomas Seaman, Esq. about 1720, sold or
mortgaged it to Sir John Blount, Bart. upon his purchasing Beeston
There is a mural monument for Tho. Seaman, Esq. who died
in 1700. His arms and those of Copland, art impaled, viz. arg. two
fesses and a canton gul. a bend az.
Thomas Seaman of Heigham, Esq. some time sheriff of Norfolk,
and also some time Sheriff of the City of Norwich, married Eliz. daughter of John Copland of Yoxford in Suffolk Gent. and had six sons and
four daughters, died Aug. 18, 1700, æt. 68.
There are stones in the body of the church for, Anne wife of Will.
Fitz-John, 1698, and Will. their son. In the south isle, Edmund Cullier 1687, 56. Will. Callyer 1715, 65. Thomas son of Laurence
Marsh. Martha late wife of the said Laurence, Dr. of Tho. Elwin,
1667, Laurence Marsh 1690, 82.
Augustine Elwyn son of Will. 1666, 35. Will. son of
Thomas Elwyn 1655, 60. Eliz. wife of Edw. Culver Dr. of Will.
Elwyn 1679. Tho. son of Will. Elwyn 1648, 82. Mary wife
of Daniel Reeve, Dr. of Will. Elwyn 1668. Eliz. wife of Will.
Elwyn, eldest son of Thomas, 1666, 66. Will. Elwyn 1686, 46.
Tho. son of Will. and Eliz. Elwyn 1676, 2. Eliz. their Dr.
Robert Powell, Gent. some time Sheriff of Norwich, 1695. By will
proved in the Archdeacon of Norfolk's court, Dec. 2, 1675, John Powell
of Heigham, Gent. tied his house and lands in Heigham for an annuity of 20s. for ever, to be paid to the church-wardens on St. Thomas's
day, by them and the overseers to be then divided, where most needs is,
and not to ease any rates.
Will. Rogers, who was mayor in 1542, and 1548, gave 300l. to
the relief of merchants and other inhabitants of Norwich, to be lent
interest free yearly, by 5, 10, or 20l. at the most, by the mayor and three
justices of the peace; no man to have any of the sums above two years
at the most; and tied 200l. of it to be forfeited to the town of Yarmouth,
if any part of the money be lost, and the rest to Lyn, for the same
purposes; he purchased and gave Pakenham's manor in Shropham, to
God's-house, and tied it to pay 10l. per annum (for the discharge of
tolls and customs in the market and fairs kept in the city) on every Michaelmas day, and the rest to clothe the poor in God's-house. And
Kath. his wife gave 100l. in like manner as her husband's 300l. and
12 acres in Heigham, out of which, 30 shillings yearly to be divided on
the day after the Epiphany, when the account of the loan money is to be
publickly passed by the mayor and three justices, who are to declare
to 60 poor people, who are to be summoned to attend at the door, who
have the several sums. The mayor to have 5s. the three justices 5s.
the town-clerk 5s. for engrossing the account and declaring to whom
the money is lent, the chamberlain for keeping the bonds and books
20d. to the sword-bearer 1s.; 2s. to two officers to warn the persons, 4d.
to the door-keeper of the council-chamber, and 10s. to be equally
divided among the 60 poor people. (Ex Indent. in le Gild-hall, and
Will Book, fo. 16.)
(138) The Leper-houses at Westwic or Bennet-gates, were purchased in 1584, by the city, of Thomas and Nic. Layer, and were called
the Spitel-cotes, or cottages, and had a garden belonging to them.