Hundred of Humble-Yard

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Francis Blomefield

Year published

1806

Pages

1-2

Citation Show another format:

'Hundred of Humble-Yard', An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 5 (1806), pp. 1-2. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=78142 Date accessed: 29 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

THE HUNDRED OF HUMBLE-YARD

Humiliart, Humilyerd, now Humble-yard hundred, takes its name from a valley in the parish of Swerdeston, where the hundred court was anciently kept, which in evidences still retains the name of Hvmble-yerd, the low yard or court: it makes up exactly the whole deanery called by the same name, and paid to the ancient task or tenths 51l. 1s clear. It is bounded on the east with the hundred of Henstede, on the north with the county of the city of Norwich; on the west with the hundred of Forehoe, and on the south with the hundred of Depwade: there is no town in it which holds a weekly market at this time, it being so near the city of Norwich, that hath totally swallowed up all profits that could accrue to any village in so small a distance. The fee of this hundred was in the Crown, upon Earl Ralph's forfeiture in the Conqueror's time, before which it belonged to the manor of Hethersete. In Henry the Third's time it was worth 12l. per annum, when it was farmed by William de St. Omer. In Edward the First's time Nic. de Castello or Castle farmed it, and Edward III. conveyed it in exchange to John de Clavering and his heirs; but it afterwards reverted and continued in the Crown till James I. granted it to Sir Charles Cornwaleis, Knt. to be held at the rent of 7l. 6s. 7d. ob. q. during the lives of Charles Cornwaleis, Esq. eldest son of Sir William Cornwaleis, Knt. Tho. Cornwaleis, Esq. eldest son of the said Charles, and Thomas Cornwaleis, son of the said Sir William.

Humble-Yard Deanery

Is in the archdeaconry of Norfolk, and at the time of the Norwich taxation had 28 parishes in it, and the annual profit to its rural dean was taxed at 26s. 8d. The following deans were all collated by the several Bishops of the see.

1256, John Ordermer.

1312, John de Chetestan.

1320, Ric. Umfrey.

1333, Roger de Ayremine.

1337, John de North Killesey; he resigned the same year to Rich. le Grage of Barew, who died in 1341, and was succeeded by

Ric. de Normandeby, who resigned the next year to John Backworth.

1349, Robert de Hardeshull, succeeded by Tho. de Thornham the same year, and he in

1350, by Walter de Newhawe of Baketon, inceptor in arts.

1360, John de Methelwold, shaveling.

1388, Robert de Hedersete, clerk.

1389, John Brereleye.

1390, Walter Cutet of Brockford.

1395, Will. Estryk.

1419, Nic. Frenge, he resigned in 1421, for Waynford deanery in Suffolk, to

Robert Lambe, who resigned this for Thingo deanery in Suffolk; and in 1447, this deanery was perpetually united to that of Depwade, and

Ralf Somerby was collated to both as one deanery, and ever after it attended that deanery.