Or Case-Wic, i. e. the cottages upon the wic or winding of the
river, to which the situation, which is on the river's side, exactly answers. In the Confessor's time this manor was a berewic to Hethill
manor, and was owned by Olf, a thane of that King, and by Roger
Bigot in the Conqueror's time; it was then 6 furlongs long, and 5
broad, and paid 6d. ob. geld or tax, and Aitard de Vals or de Vaux,
held it of Bigod. (fn. 1)
Godric the sewer had a man that held 10 acres here, and the King
and the Earl had the whole soc, lete, and superiour jurisdiction. (fn. 2)
It continued in the Vaux family for many ages; Hubert de Vallibus
or Vals, was lord, and had an exemption from paying toll in Norwich,
for the produce of his demeans here, and of his manor of Surling ham;
and in 1220, Jollan de Vaux was lord of both manors, and proved his
exemption: there were great contests between him and the Prior and
Convent of Norwich, concerning rights of commonage in Eaton; but
things being agreed he became a good benefactor to their monasiery,
by conarming all right he had in Eaton to the monks, and a watermill in Kesewic called the Old Mill; and Emma, daughter of Bartholomew, son of Will de Hethill, released all her right in the mill, which
was first given to the convem by Albert de Novilla or Nevile, subject
to pay 10s a year to the monks at Thetford, which Vincent Prior of
Thetford released in 1289, and Robert Prior of Alvesborne, and the
canons there, released to the monks of Norwich, a rent of 20s. in Kesewic; and in 1286, Ralf de Amodesham and Alice his wife, conveyed
to the Prior of Norwich 40s. rent here to be remembered daily in the
bed-roll of the church of Norwich; and accordingly the monks of
Norwich were taxed for 40s. of temporal rents in this town Sir John
de Vaux, Knt. was succeded about 1234, by his son Sir Alex. de Waus,
Knt. (fn. 3) who granted to the Norwich monks, joint fishery with him in
his stream from Hereford-bridge, and an acre of land there, Roger de
Vaus being witness; he confirmed to the Prior and monks of St. Faith
at Horsham, 18 acres of land in Casewic, which John Godchep gave
them in free alms, and also a portion of tithes out of his demeans, for
which that convent was taxed at 6s, 8d. spirituals, and 11s. temporals.
In 1265, John de Vaux was lord of this and Boton, and Mary his widow had an interest in it; and in 1295, the manor was settled by a
fine, then levied between William son of Herbert de Vaux, and Burga
his wife, on the said Mary, for life, remainder to them and their heirs;
and in 1296. Petronilla, daughter of Alexander de Vaux, claimed a
part of it; and in 1315, the said Burga, her husband William being
dead, was lady here, and in 1318 obtained a charter of free-warren to the manor. In 1320, she and John de Vals, her son and heir, as
executors of Will. de Vaux, paid 102l. to the King, as the remainder
of the account of the said Will. who was the King's receiver for the
revenues of his castle and honour of Knaresburgh in Yorkshire. In
1347, John Sparrow of Norwich was lord. In 1349, Sir John Ufford,
Knt. and Hugh de Curson, by whom in 1365, this and Vaux's manor
in Burgh St. Mary were settled on Will. Clere of Ormesby. In 1390,
Diomst Clere had it. In 1445, Rob. Clere, Esq. gave it after the
death of Eliz. his wife, to Robert Clere his son, when it was held of
Forncet honour. In 1469, Eliz. Clere had it, and in 1523, Sir Robert
Clere, Knt. her son. In 1549, Sir Ric. Gresham, Knt. died seized, and
Eliz. his relict had it, and after her, Sir John Gresham, their son and
heir. In 1563, Isabel Gresham, widow, and in 1577, Sir Tho. Gresham,
Knt.; and m 1580, Will. Gresham, Esq. and from that time it hath
passed along with the manor of Intwood, and remains with it at this day.
The church was dedicated to All the Saints, (fn. 4) and the rector had a
house and 26 acres of glebe; it was valued at 5 marks, and is now
valued at 5l. in the King's Books, and pays first-fruits, as consolidated
to Intwood, and 10s. yearly tenths; synodals are 18d. procurations,
6s. 8d. Peter-pence 12d. carvage 1d. 0b. the portion of St. Faith at
Horsham 5s. and that of the monks of Thetford 5s. There was an
image of the Virgin in the church, and in 1505, Rob. Curson was buried before it, and gave a good legacy to repair the church; this village
paid 1l. 7s. to every tenth.
Rectors of Kesewick.
Guaidus the priest.
Kalf. Alex. de Vaux, Knt.
1300, Jeffery de Colney. Sir Will. de Vaux, Knt. who presented
the three following rectors:
1301, Edmund de Merkeshall.
1303, John de Basingham.
1310, Ric. de Catfield.
1347, Ric. at Church of Swaynesthorp. John Sparwe or Sparrow, citizen of Norwich.
1349, Simon de Bintre. Sir John Ufford, Knt.; he exchanged
for St. Margaret Westwick in Norwich. (See vol. iv. p. 257.)
1355, Rob de Kyngton. Sir Rob. de Ufford and Hugh Curson:
buried in the chancel in 1383, when Will. Clere of Ormesby gave
Tho. Ward of Ridlington, who was buried by him in 1390, and
Rob. Vyn of Brunsted, was presented by Dionise Clere; and in
1408, Nic. Hey'et had it; and, in 1422, exchanged it with
Roger atte Medewe for Ridlyngton. Oliver Groos, Esq.
1425, Rob. Metton. Nic. Wichingham, resigned.
1434, Simon Clerk. Eliz. Rothenhale; he resigned in 1439,
Tho. Burgh was presented by Rob. Clere of Ormesby, Esq. in right
of Casewick manor, which came to him by inheritance.
1458, Ric Wymond, lapse.
1465, John Wode, lapse.
1469, Brother Aian Aylesham. Eliz. Clere, widow.
1493, Brother John Hevyngham. Rob. Clere, Esq. He died in
1523, and Sir Rob. Clere, Knt. presented his chaplain,
Sir Will. Hunt, who held it united to St. Edmund in Norwich; at
whose death in 1525, he presented
Sir Robert Fosdyke, alias Poynter, who was deprived in 1555, and
Tho. Warner had it of the gift of Eliz, relict of Sir Ric. Gresham,
Knt, at whose death in 1563, Lady Isabell Gresham, widow, gave
John Shynkwyn, who had it united to Intwood, and at his death,
1597, Edw. Munday was presented to this church by Tho. Tirrel,
Esq. patron of the turn, who had institution and union to Intwood
with Gowthorp chapel; and the 23d of Oct. following, they were con
solidated by consent of Will. Gresham, Esq. patron of them all; and
this church was immediately pulled down. The steeple is round, and
is still standing, being very small, as was the church, which had a
nave, chancel, and south porch; the churchyard is ploughed up to the
walls; it stands on a hill between Hertford-bridges and Intwood, on
the south side of the river, and the ruins are seen at some distance.
There are a very few houses besides the hall; the whole village belonging with Intwood, to John Lord Hobart of Blickling.
More east, on the same side of the river, on a promontory, bounded
on the south-east by the river Taüs, are seen the ruins of another
church, properly enough called