Church is dedicated to St. Peter the Apostle; it hath a low square
steeple and five bells, is 17 yards long and eight broad, and is tiled, as
is the chancel also: it was re-dedicated and newly hallowed in 1535, (fn. 1)
and there was then an ancient Gild of St. Peter held here. It was
appropriated to the Prior of Pentneye, who as rector, had a house and
52 acres of glebe, and the vicarage had a house and 28 acres of glebe.
It was given by Rob. de Vallibus, or Vaux, the founder of Pentneye,
(who came with the Conqueror into England,) and was confirmed by
William his son and heir. (fn. 2) The rectory was valued first at 10, after at
15 marks, and the vicarage at five marks, but was not taxed; it now
stands at 6l. in the King's Books, pays no first-fruits, and being
sworn of the clear yearly value of 27l. 12s. 4d. it is discharged of
tenths, and is capable of augmentation. It paid 3s. synodals, 6s. 8d.
procurations, 7d. Peter-pence, and 3d. ob. carvage; and the portion
of tithes belonging to the monks of Thetford was 4s. per annum, given
them by Robert de Vaux; (fn. 3) and it paid 3l. 6s. clear to every tenth.
Presented By The Priors Of Pentneye.
Hubert de Chedestane.
1326, John de Diss.
1349, Nic. Wesgate.
1424, John Caldwell.
1426, Jeffry Skinner, res.
1435, John Elyot.
1438, Simon Fuller, ob.
1465, Brother John Lincoln.
William Ive, buried in the chancel, his effigies in brass, and
Orate pro anima Domini Willi: Jbe, Canonici, cuius anime pro
picietur Deus. Amen.
1490, Richard Bocher.
1490, John Cooke, he was outed, and Bocher had it again.
1501, Henry Smithson.
1515, Richard Wright; he lies buried in the chancel, with this on
a brass plate,
In the Honoure of God that ys moost of Myght,
Pray for the Sowle of Sir Richard Wryght.
On whose Soule Jesu have Mercy.
1520, Henry Hagger.
1530, Richard Hagger, who was the last presented by the convent.
After the Dissolution, King Henry VIII. in the year 1545, granted
the impropriate rectory and the advowson of the vicarage to Robert
Rumbold, alias Reynbald, and his heirs, to be held in capite by
knight's service; and in 1558, Anne, wife of Ben Reynbald, daughter
of the said Robert, and Elizabeth her sister, had livery of it, and in
1568, Adam Each, lapse. 1576, Andrew Thetford, Gent. presented
Henry Webb, on whose resignation in
1584, Rob Grey had it of the gift of And. and Tho. Thetford, Esqrs.
1586, Will. Parry. The Queen by lapse.
1591, Robert Jackler, by Andrew and Thomas aforesaid; he resigned in
1602, to Richard Parker, who returned 67 communicants, and was
presented by Thomas Thetford, Esq. who in 1607, sold it to Sir
Henry Hobart, Knt. Will. Paston, and other trustees, for the use of
Sir John Heveningham, Knt. who in 1611, presented
Richard Johnson, A. M. In 1623, Sir Arthur Heveningham
was returned impropriator and patron. In
1652, Robert Pecket had it, of the gift of Will. Heveningham,
1697, Richard Clark. Henry Heron, Esq. ob.
1707, Nath. Saltier. Ditto. He held it united to Olton, and resigned in
1716, to Tho. Tunstall. Henry Heron, Esq. at whose death in
1728, the Rev. Mr. Samuel Clark, A. M. the present vicar, was
presented by Edw. Atkyns, Esq. the present patron, and now holds
it united to the vicarage of East-Dearham, with the chapel of Hoe,
and sinecure rectory of East-Dearham aforesaid.
The chief manor of this town, belonged to Olf the Dane in the
Confessor's time, and to Ralf Fitz-Walter at the Conquest, who then
held it of Roger Bigot, and it had a church and-40 acres of glebe,
was worth 3l. per annum, being a league long, and half a league broad,
and paid 6d. ob. geld. (fn. 4) The other manor belonged to Ketel the
Dane, at the Confessor's survey, and was held of Ralf Peverell by
Warine, at the Conqueror's; (fn. 5) had a faldcourse, and though it was
included in the value or estimation of the chief manor, was of but
7s. per annum less value in yearly rents, to its lord.
The chief manor, called afterwards
Argentein's, or Keteringham-Hall Manor,
Came to Robert de Vallibus, or Vaux, from Ralf Fitz-Walter,
and he held it of Roger Bigot. This Robert came in with the Conqueror; he left it to William his son and heir; and in 1197, Aubrey
de Vere Earl of Oxford died seized of a manor here, which was the
head manor, though one third part of the town remained still in the
Vauxes, and was after called Castelyn's manor; in 1239, Hugh de
Vere Earl of Oxford had it, and gave it Hugh de Cressi, in frank marriage with Margaret his daughter, and died seized in 1262, when, for
want of issue of their bodies, it reverted to the Veres, and Robert de
Vere Earl of Oxford gave it in frank marriage with Lora his sister,
to Sir Reginald de Argentein Knt. and they held it in 1265; in 1315,
Sir John de Argenteyn, Knt. his son, was lord, and held in 1345, of
the Earl of Oxford at one fee; he was succeeded by Sir John his son,
who in 1381 settled it on Sir Will. his son, and Isabel daughter of Sir
Will. de Kerdeston, Knt. his wife, after the death of himself and Margaret his wife, who held it in 1383; and in 1390, it appears that their
three daughters and their issue, were heirs; namely Maud, wife of
Ivo Fitz-Warine, Alice, wife of Baldwin St. George, and Baldwin their
son, then 21 years of age; and Joan, wife of Baith. de Naunton, and
Margaret their daughter, 40 years old, which Margaret had this
manor, and married to a Bukenham, of whose trustees the manor was
purchased by Sir Will. Appleyard of Keteringham, Knt. and with
Emma his widow, passed to her husband Sir Henry Grey, Knt who
lived at Keteringham, and lies buried in the chancel there, with this
Dere lyth Syre Denry Brey, the Sonne of Syre Thomas Brey
myght, of Peton, t of Jone his wife, that was Syngate to the Duke
of Dortfolk, that oped at Uenys, and Cnima the Wyfe of the foresaibe
Syr berry brey, the Widom of Sir William Appleyard of the said
Country Norfolk Esquer, on whose Sowtes Bob have Wercy.
Their effigies in brass, with their hands conjoined as praying, remain
on the stone; he is in complete armour, standing on a lion, and there
are the arms, of Brotherton impaling Grey, gul. a lion rampant in a
bordure ingrailed arg. and Grey impaling Appleyard, az. a chevron
or between three owls arg.
The present chancel was rebuilt by these two, (fn. 6) and their arms
remain in the east window the same as on their tombstone, and also
the arms of England, and Grey impaling or, a lion rampant double
quevee gul. Grey impaling gul. a saltier arg. and these: arg. on a
fess between three leopards faces gul. three bells of the field, quarterly,
1st, gul. a lozenge arg. 2d, 2 coats quartered, 1st, per bend A. G. 2d,
arg. a bend gul. 3d as 2d. 4th arg. on a chevron ingrailed between
three crescents er. two lions passant, their heads towards each other.
There are also the arms of Fitz-Walter, and a rebus of a tun, with an
oaken branch with acorns fixed in the bunghole. In the middle pane
is Sir Henry Grey on his knees in complete armour, with Grey's arms
single, and crest, on a wreath vert and gul. a lamb's head arg. and arg.
on a cross gul. five escalops or. Crest a demi-lion, on which a mullet of five sab. By his will dated in 1492, he gave his manor of Keteringham-hall after their deaths, to
Thomas Hevenyngham, Esq. son and heir of Sir John Heveningham, Knt. and to Anne his wife, daughter to Dame Jane Grey, wife
to the said Sir Henry Grey, and their heirs, with remainder to William
Grey of Merton, and his heirs; and thus it became the residence of
the ancient family of the
Heveninghams, who had their sirname from the town of that
name in Suffolk, and hath been very honourably matched; and if we
may credit many accounts, (fn. 7) Jeffery de Heveningham was lord there in
Canute's time, Ao 1020; but as the former part of their pedigree does not
relate to this town, I shall not begin with the account of the family
Thomas Heveningham aforesaid, Esq. the great favourite of the
Duke of Gloucester, who settled an annuity of 10l. on him for life, out
of his manor of Rothing-Berners in Essex. He died in 1499, and is
buried in the chancel here, with this inscription,
Orate pro anima Thome Heveningham Armigeri, Fillii et Heredis
Johannis Heveningham Militis et Banneretti qui obiit ultimo die
Januarii, Anno Domini M. cccclrrrrir. cuius anime propicietur
The tomb is on the south side of the altar, built in part into the wall,
the brass plates are fixed over it, and the foregoing inscription over
his head, and the following over her's:
Orate pro anima Anne nuper Uroris Thome Heveningham, Filie
et Heredis Thome Yerde Armigeri, (fn. 8) que obiit die Anno Do-
mini Mccccc (viii) cuius anime propicietur Deus Amen.
They are both in praying postures; behind him are four sons, and
behind her are four daughters. There are also the arms of
Heveningham, quarterly or and gul. in a bordure ingrailed sab.
nine escalops arg (fn. 9) quartering Redisham.
Courtney, or, three torteauxes, with a label of three az. for
difference, impaling or, in a bordure ingrailed gul. three catherinewheels sab.
John Heveningham, son of the said Thomas, (fn. 10) succeeded, and
married Alice, daughter of Sir Ralf Shelton the younger of Shelton in
Norfolk, Knt. he died in 1530, and is buried in the chancel, with this
on a brass plate,
Hic iacet Johannes Debeningham, filius Thome Debeningham
Armigeri, cuius anime propicietur Deus Amen.
Sir Anthony Heveningham, his son and heir, was made a banneret by King Henry VIII. and married first Katherine, daughter and
heir of Sir Philip Calthorp, by whom he had Henry, his son and heir,
who died without male issue, by Anne his wife, daughter of Eden of
Suffolk; as did Amy their daughter, who married to Sir Edmund Windham of Felbrigge, Knt. In 1546, he settled by fine on himself and
Mary daughter of Sir John Shelton the elder, of Shelton, Knt. his then
wife, the manors of Heveningham, Ubbeston, Cookeley, Walpole, and
Sibeton in Suffolk, and on their heirs; and in 1557, he held the manor
of Westbarrow-hall, of the honour of Ralegh, and Totham Parva, and
Goldhanger in Essex, and died the year following, and according to
his will, is buried by his last wife, under a tomb on the north side of
the chancel, which hath lost its inscription, but the arms of Heveningham, with helmet, crest, and supporters, and those of Shelton, with a
helmet and crest, and two talbots arg. collared and chained gul. for
supporters; and the same two coats impaled, lately remained. She
remarried to Philip Appleyard, Esq. but died soon after, leaving
Sir Arthur Heveningham, Knt. her son and heir, who about
1570, appears to have been lord of this, with the manors of Fretenham,
Gissing, Shropham and South-Walsham in Norfolk, Heveningham,
Ubestone, Walpole, Cookeley and Sibton in Suffolk, and Goldhanger in
Essex; he married Mary daughter of Hanchet of Hertfordshire, who
lies buried in the chancel with this,
Here lyeth buried the Body of the Lady Mary Heveningham,
Wife to Sir Arthur Heveningham Knt. (fn. 11) Nov. 9, 1633.
On an adjoining stone is this: Here lyeth buried the body of Sir
Arthur Heveningham Knt. who died Oct. 8, 1630. Sir John Heveningham Knt. (fn. 12) his son, inherited at his death; he married first, Katherine, daughter of Lewes Lord Mordaunt, she died 1602, and he married
again to Bridget, daughter of Christopher son of Sir William Paston
of Paston in Norfolk, Knt.; she lies buried in the chancel, with the arms
of Heveningham impaling Paston, and this
Here lies buried the Body of the Lady Bridget late wife to Sir
John Heveningham Knt. deceased, and Grandchild to Sir William Paston of Paston in the County of Norfolk Knt. ob. June
9, 1624. On another stone, Here lieth buried the Body of Sir
John Heveningham Knt. Son and Heir of Sir Arthur, ob. 17 June
William Heveningham, Esq. (fn. 13) his son and heir by his second wife,
inherited; he was of this town and Hockwold in Norfolk; and married first, Katherine daughter of Sir Henry Walop, of Farley in Hantshire, by whom he had no issue: this man was one of the judges of
King Charles I. for which, at the Restoration, he was deservedly
tried and convicted, and all his estate forfeited for that unparalleled
villainy; but being one of those nineteen regicides that surrendered
themselves upon the proclamation of the 6th of June 1660, he had
his life saved; and the year following, Mary, daughter of John Earl
of Dover, his second wife, obtained a patent from King Charles II. for
most, if not all, her husband's estate, particularly that of Heveningham
and this manor, which she enjoyed during her life. On the north side
of the altar is a handsome monument of black and white marble, with
the effigies of a man and woman, each having a child by them, (fn. 14) in a
praying posture before a reading-desk, and to the table on which the
inscription is wrote, is fixed an angel with his wings expanded, holding
an infant in swadling clothes; at the top are the arms of Heveningham impaling Cary, arg. on a bend sab. three roses of the field, with a
crescent gul. for difference.
This Monument was erected by the Right Honourable the Lady
Mary Heveningham, for her deceased Husband, her Self, and
Children, the Daughter and Grandaughter of the Right Honourable Henry and John Carey, Viscounts Rochford, Barons of
Hunsdon, and Earls of Dover, and of Abigail Countess of Dover.
Under this Pyramid of Marble lies,
Both Root and Branch of noble Progenies,
His matchless Lady him secur'd, brought home,
In Peace deceas'd, lies umbrag'd in this Tomb.
Where undisturbed, may their slumbering Dust,
Rest 'till the Resurrection of the Just.
Inclyta magnifici cernis Monumenta Sepulchri
Fortè Brevi Spatio, Fata futura Tua.
Reader consider what thou here dost see
In a few Moments thine own Fate may be.
Anno Domini 1678.
They are both buried in a vault under the altar; the coffin of this
traitour and his bones are now wholly broken to pieces, which seems to
have been done designedly, for his head or scull is laid upon his wife's
coffin, (fn. 15) which is very entire; she died at her house in Jermyn-street,
London, in Jan. 1696; in the same vault is a child's coffin.
Sir William Heveningham, their son and heir, was knighted at
Whitehall in 1674; he married Barbara, daughter of George Villiers
Viscount Grandison of Ireland, by whom he had Abigail, his only
heiress, who married to Henry Heron, Esq. and they sold it to
Edward Atkyns, Esq. son and heir of Sir Edward Atkyns, Knt.
Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer, who is the present lord and patron,
and resides at Keteringham-hall, which is a good seat in a pleasant
country, about four miles distant from the city of Norwich.
There are monuments in the church for, Barbara the youngest
daughter of Sir Arthur Heveningham, Knt. the wife of Tho. Bradley,
17 Sept. 1634. And a brass shows, that William son of Clere Talbot,
LL. D. died in this parish Aug. 29, 1635. On the font were the arms
of Redisham and Grey, with a label of five points. In the chancel is
a brass plate with a small effigies, and this,
Hic iacet Johannes Colbile Fillius Richard Colbile Armigeri
cuius anime tc.
There are altar tombs in the churchyard for, Henry, fourth son of
Sir Arthur Heveningham, Knt. Aug. 17, 1657, aged 71. Tho. 2d son
of Sir Arthur, 11 Sept. 1651, aged 67. Lady Gilbert eldest daughter
to Sir Arthur, April 1646.
Tho. Aid 26 July, 1665, 72. Anne his wife, 10 April, 1664, 63.
Here Two in One at rest reposed be,
In Expectation of the One in Three.
This man was a wholesale tailor in Norwich, and raised great fortunes
there, and was father of John Ayde or Aid of Horsted, Esq. lord of
On the north side is an altar tomb with the arms of a lion rampant
only, and these two verses out of the Psalms:
What Man is he that liveth and shall not see Death? shall he deliver
his Sovl from the Grave? Selah.
But God will redeem my Sovl from the Power of the Grave, for he
shall receive me? Selah.
Belonged to Ketel the Dane, after to Warine, of whom it was held
at the Conqueror's survey, by Ralf Peverel, (see p. 91,) and passed
with Peverel's manor in Great Melton, as at p. 18; and in 1237, Oliver
de Vaux, lord of Keteringham, granted a third part of this town to
Richard de Rupella, or Rokele, which was added to this manor. In
1385, Nicholas de Castello, or Castelyn, (from whom it took its name,)
was lord of it, and had view of frankpledge, assise of bread and ale,
and lete in his manor, allowed by the justices in Eire, on condition he
paid yearly to the King's hundred of Humbleyard 14d. ob. q. In
1306 it was held by Will. de Ros, Maud his wife, and Petronel de Vaux,
of Roger Bigot Earl of Norfolk. In 1345, Will de Bokenham held it
at a fourth part and half a quarter of a fee, of Nic. de Castello, who
held it of Will. de Rokele, he of the heirs of Roos, they of the Earl-Marshal, and he of the King. In 1364, Sir Thomas de St Omer of Brundale
had it, and Alice, daughter of Petronel his wife, after married to Sir
Will. de Hoo, Knt. and Eliz. their daughter then 12 years old, and after
married to Tho. de Warine, were coheirs, and in the King's custody;
and in 1372, Warine and his wife released all his right to Sir Thomas
and his wife; see p. 76. In 1402, he released all his right in this
manor calle Castelyn's, and all his lands thereto belonging, in Keteringham, Stanfield in Windham, Carleton, Curson, Intwood, Cantelose,
and Hethersete, to William Parker and Stephen Spelman, citizens and
mercers of London; and in 1404, Sir Thomas Hoe his son confirmed
it. In 1495, Sir Henry Grey joined it to Keteringham-Hall manor,
with which it now continues.
Very anciently belonged to William de Keteringham, after to Sibil de
Keteringham, and then to Peter their son, who granted part of it, by
deed without date, to Will. de Curzon of Stanfield, and Robert his son,
in the presence of Sir Richard de Curzon (fn. 16) of Stanfield in Windham,
and Sir John de Curzon (fn. 17) of Keteringham; and this William (fn. 18) gave in
marriage with Alice his daughter, to Will. de Kangham, who released
one part of it again to Oliver de Keteringham, on condition the said
Oliver paid for the said William, to the church of Keteringham St.
Peter, 2s. yearly for wax to be burnt before the cross and altar of St.
Mary there. This part was sold in 1342, by Tho. de Keteringham
and Sciencia his wife, to John de Houton and Ivetta his wife; but
Kangham's part, which was much the largest, was held by Alice de
Kangham in 1274, at three parts of a fee, of the Vauzes, which she
divided into many parts, selling some to John son of Simon de Hedersete, Nic. de Castello, Will. Carpenter, &c. with consent of William
her son, and Clemence her daughter; another part she granted to
Andrew her son, who conveyed it to Richard son of Ric. le Curzon,
who had all the part that remained unconveyed, by deed from the
said Alice de Kangham; and in 1256, this Richard held it with Stanfield-Hall manor in Windham, as at p. 502, vol. ii.; it was then valued
at 4l. 13s 2d. rents, and had 27 acres in demean, and it continued
with Stanfield, till Henry Heveningham of Keteringham purchased a
part of it, which was after joined to Keteringham manor, and the other
part still remains with Stanfield.
The Prior of Pentneye had a manor here composed of divers
parcels, given by the lords of the other manors, viz. Robert de Vaux,
Richard de la Rokele, and Alice de Kangham, who in 1249, granted
to Simon Prior of Pentney, 28 acres of land, 8 acres of wood, and 5s.
rent, and the whole was held at half a quarter of a fee of the honour
of Forncet, and was taxed at 38s. 10d. and at the Dissolution it was
granted from the Crown with the impropriate rectory, and with that
became united to the other manors.
William Curson (see vol. ii. p. 517) and others, gave lands here
to Windham monastery, which at the Dissolution were granted to Sir
Edward Clere: the Prior of St. Faith's had 6s. rent here; and in
1314, the Prior of Hauley was found to hold the fourth part of a fee
in Keteringham, of John Peverell, which was after released from that
priory, and joined to Casteleyn's manor.