Is the next village southward of Carleton, and belonged to Olf, one
of the Confessor's thanes, who had two carucates in demean. (fn. 1) The
church had then 30 acres of glebe, and belonged to the manor; there
was wood sufficient to keep 60 swine, and three breeding mares ran in
it; there were 8 socmen, and the manor extended into Keteringham, (fn. 2)
Newton, (fn. 3) and Kesewic was a berewic to it; it was then worth 5l. 6s. 6d.
a year, after that, was raised to 6l. and at the Conquest to 8l.; it was
a league long, and 6 furlongs broad, and paid 6d. 3q. to the geld or
tax. but though the manor was now in one, it was after divided into
the several manors called Hethill, Jerningham's, Penne's, Goldingham's,
Ward's, Twait's, and Nevile's; the five first of which now belong to
Miles Branthwait, Esq. and the two last to the city of Norwich;
and all of them have been always held of the Norfolk family, and now
are, as of the manor of Forncet.
The whole continued in the Bigods till Hugh Bigod, the third
Earl of Norfolk of that family, divided it into many parts, and gave
the capital manor, called
Hethill, and afterwards Curson's Manor,
To William de Curson of Carleton, and it continually attended
the manor of Carleton Cursons, as may be seen at p 101, being held of
the manor of Forncet at one fee; and in 1306, it extended into Carleton,
Mulbarton, and Swerdeston, and had a lete belonging to it; from the
Cursons it passed to the Appleyards of Brakene, and continued with
that manor, as you may see at p. 83,4, and was sold with it and Carleton
Cursons, to Tho. Townesend, Esq. who in 1569 had license to alien it
to Rowland Heyward, John Langley, and Francis Bowyer, and their
heirs, as trustees; and about 1601, Tho. Townesend of Brakene, Esq.
sold it to Miles Branthwait, Esq. who came and settled here.
Jernegan's, or Jerningham's Manor,
Was sold in 1297, by Ralf de Wedon and Alice his wife, to Will. de
Halton; Ralf de Creping held it of Roger Bigot Earl of Norfolk,
at the fourth part of a fee. It after belonged to Sir Hugh Jernegan,
who settled it on John Leiston, who married Joan his daughter and
heiress. In 1345, Henry Jernegan had it, and in 1355, John Jernegan;
and it had a lete belonging to it. It was purchased by the Appleyards, and so became united to Hethil manor aforesaid, with which
it now remains. In 1609, Miles Branthwait, Esq. held it of Forncet manor at the 8th part of a fee.
Was granted by Hugh Bigod aforesaid, to Eustace Curson of
Carleton, commonly called Eustace de Carleton, whose son William
was knighted, and was commonly known by the name of Sir William
de Hethil, whose son, Sir Bartholomew de Hethil, left two daughters,
Alice, the eldest, married to William de la Penne, and Emma the
youngest to John de la Penne, the sons of Jeffery de la Penne, who
had his life in this manor by their gift; in 1274, they were found lords
here, and had a lete belonging to it, and the assize of bread and ale of
all their tenants. In 1285, Emma widow of John de la Penne, and
Alice her sister, then wife of Ralf le Clerk of Aymondesham, held it at
3 quarters of a fee of the Earl of Norfolk, and it was then found to have
liberty of free warren belonging to it; it contained a capital messuage,
(now called Hethill-hall,) and 237 acres of land adjoining, 10
acres of meadow, 20 acres of wood, 31s. 1d. ob. quitrents, and 4 capons;
and extended into Swerdeston, Dunston, Mulbarton Carleton, Brakene,
Wrenningham, Nelonde, and Swainsthorp. In 1306, Jeffery de la Penne,
had it, and John de Penne released to him that moiety which Emma
wife of Bartholomew, son of William, held in dower: Peter de la
Penne had it after him; and in 1338, Adam de la Penne conveyed a
quarter of a fee of it to Richard de Bitering and Rich. de Bumpstede.
of Norwich. In 1379, Thomas de la Penne sold his 3d part to Barth.
Appleyard, citizen of Norwich, and William his brother; and
then Adam de la Penne, and Peter de la Penne, and Christian his wife, (fn. 4)
sold all their parts in this town only, to Appleyard, in whose family
it continued till Philip Appleyard, Esq. (fn. 5) sold it to James Altham, (fn. 6) who
kept his first court in 1563, and the next year sold it to Thomas Townesend of Brakene, Esq. who sold it to Miles Branthwait, Esq. who
in 1609, held it of Forncet manor at one fee.
Was granted by Hugh Bigod to Alan de Goldingham, with
view of frankpledge, and assize of bread and ale of all the tenants;
and in 1285, Alan de Goldingham (his son, I suppose,) brought an
action against Edmund de Wimundhale and Maud his wife, (Alan's
mother, 1 imagine,) for waste committed in that part of this manor,
which the said Maud held in dower, of his inheritance; and in 1315,
John de Goldingham owned it, and held part of it of the honour of Eye,
and the other part of the Earl of Norfolk. In 1400, Richard de Goldingham had it, who sold it to the Appleyards, and so it became joined
to their other manors; in 1609, Miles Branthwait, Esq. held it at
one fee of Forncet manor.
Or free tenement, anciently belonged to the Raymonds; and in 1306,
the heirs of Thomas Raymond had it; and in 1390, John le Ward, who
in 1401, conveyed it to Walter Orlage, who was lord in 1432, and in
1461, John Meke had it, whose son John owned it in 1509, and in
1514, his son John paid his relief for it, being 12d.; he sold it to William Browne, whose son Robert sold it to Miles Branthwait, Esq. who
in 1609, held it of Forncet manor by the 100th part of a fee.
Was granted by Hugh Bygod to Will. de Thweyt, and after belonged
to John de Tweyt and Eglantine his wife, who owned it in 1315; in
1318, John de Tweyt settled it on Andrew le Curson and John de Brakene, who reconveyed it to the said John for life, and John his son,
lawfully begotten on Katherine de Bukenham; and for want of his
issue, to William his brother, remaindar to Ernald brother of William, and to Jerom brother of Ernald; it then contained 4 messuages,
111 acres of land, and 16s. yearly rents; and extended into Wrenningham Brakene, Malbarton, Swerdeston, Keteringham, and East-Carteton;
and in 1321, he purchased of Bertram le Moneye of Gouthorp, many
lands and tenements in Hethill and added them to his manor. In
1345, John son of John de Tweyt was lord. In 1461, it belonged to
Thomas Tweyt, from whom it came to the Pains, and in 1511, John
Chauntrell farmed it of the Duke of Norfolk, during the minority of
John Pain; in 1526, Sir Will. Pennington, Knt. had it, and afterwards
Robert Andrews; and in 1556, it belonged to Thomas March and Eliz.
his wife, and John March and Frances his wife, daughters and coheirs
of Robert Andrewes; and after this, it came among their children, and
Tho. Norton of Brakene, Rob. Bishop, and Ric. Sewal, sold one moiety,
and Ric Catlyn and John Worsley of Norwich, butcher, the other, to
John Appleyard, of whom it was purchased by the mayor and commonalty of Norwich, who in 1609 held it of Forncet manor at the 4th
part of a fee.
Hugh Bygot infeoffed Albert de Novilla, or Nevile in it, who seems
to have been concerned in the foundation of Alvesbourn priory in
Wodebridge in Suffolk, to which he gave this manor, with the advowson of Carleton St. Mary, as at p. 98; and in 1315, that prior was
returned lord of it, and let it at six marks a year. In 1391, Robert
Brethenham, prior of Alvesbourne, held it of Forncet manor at half a
fee, and paid 5l. for a relief, as his predecessors had done, and was
taxed at 3l. 5s. 5d. for his temporalities; and this remained with
Carleton in Alvesbourne priory till 1424, and then John Duke of Norfolk, Walter Bishop of Norwich, Ralf Shelton, Esq. and John
Heydon, counsellor at law, purchased them of John Turnour, prior of
St. Mary at Alvesbourne, and the convent there, for the use of John
Selot, master of the hospital of St. Giles in Norwich, and his successours, there being then one messuage, 133 acres and one rood of land,
one acre and an half of meadow, 10 acres of pasture, 30 acres of
wood, and 7s. 6d. quitrents in Hethill, and two messuages, 119 acres
of land, 4 acres of meadow, and 4l. quitrents in Carleton, (fn. 7) belonging
to this manor of Nevile's, which was by this means joined to the
Manor Of Briton's,
THE HOSPITAL MANOR IN HETHILL,
Which John le Bretun, or Briton, held of Roger Bigod Earl
of Norfolk, at whose death the said Roger, in the presence of his
brothers Sir Hugh and Sir Ralf Bigod, Knts. about the year 1250,
conveyed to Walter de Suthfield Bishop of Norwich, the whole
tenure late John le Bretun's in the towns of Hail, (or Hethil,) Carleton, and Nelonde; all which, the Bishop, in 1253, settled on St. Giles's
hospital, which he founded: (fn. 8) and at this time also, Ric. de Hethill,
and Ralf son of Roger de Hethill, and Ralf son of Reginald de Hethil,
gave and confirmed to the hospital, a messuage and 47 acres, and
three roods, which formerly belonged to John le Briton; (fn. 9) and in 1330,
other lands here were added by purchase. (fn. 10) This manor was held of
the manor of Forncet, by the 4th part of one fee, and the 20th part
These manors, with all the revenues of the city in Carleton, were
tied by the mayor, sheriffs, &c. (who received 200l. as a consideration
for so doing, of Archbishop Parker) to pay annually for ever, a clear
rent of 10l. 8s. whereof, for three exhibitions to three scholars of Bennet college, to be named by the mayor and majority of aldermen, out
of the schools in Norwich or Aylesham, and the other 40s. to be
retained yearly by the mayor, to pay to a preacher, yearly to be sent
by the college, 6s. 8d. for a sermon at Thetford, 6s. 8d. for another at
Wimondham, 6s. 8d. for another at the cathedral, and 10s. for a sermon in St. Clement's church in Norwich, and the other 10s. to be
distributed there, as may be seen at p. 313, vol. iii. where there is an
exact account of this donation. (fn. 11)
In 1577, I find an agreement between the city and Mr. Thomas
Townsend, lord of the other manors, "for the apporcionyng owt
Hetheld Grene, betwene the cittie and Mr. Townesend, to be
done by Sir Thomas Cornwaleis, Knt. and Mr. Thomas Sotherton,
alderman." (fn. 12)
These manors belong now to the mayor, sheriffs, &c. as guardians
of St. Giles's hospital; and in that hospital accounts in 1728, among
the revenues, I find it entered thus, Manor of East-Carleton cum
Hethill 9l. 10s. 2d. ob. per ann. From East-Carleton cum
Hethill and Wren's Close there, 80l. per ann. out of which paid
Archbishop Parker's yearly annuity to Bennet College in Cambridge 8l. his sermon at St. Clement's in Ascension week, &c. 2l. (fn. 13)
The church of Hayele or Hethill, is dedicated to all the Saints,
and had an image of all the saints, and a gild kept before it, of the
same dedication. The rector had a house and 50 acres of glebe,
when Norwich Domesday was made. The whole without the portion
stood at 18 marks, in the most ancient Valor, but was then raised to
20 marks, and it stands in the King's Books thus: 10l. Hethell,
alias Hethwold rectory, 1l. yearly tenths; so that it pays first fruits,
and is not capable of augmention. It paid 16d. Peter-pence, 4d. ob.
carvage, 18d. synodals, 6s. 8d. procurations; the monks of Thetford
had a portion of tithes here, valued at 13s. 4d. given them by Roger
Bigod, their founder, (fn. 14) out of his demeans; Windham abbey had lands
here of the gift of William de Albani, (fn. 15) valued at 40s. per annum; in
1528, Richard Amore of Norwich, priest, gave three acres of grove by
the parsonage in Hethill, to be sold to find a light before the image
of All-Saints in Hethill and our Lady at Brakene, and one acre in
Forthbrigge, to the maintenance of the perke (fn. 16) light for ever. It paid
clear to every tenth, 2l. 4s.
The advowson was never aliened from the Norfolk family, but
attended the inheritance of it, belonging to their manor of Forncet,
till the Earl of Arundel sold it to Thomas Townsend, Esq. who joined
it to his manors, with which it still continues.
Hugh Bigod Earl of Norfolk, granted to Hervy the land which
Roger de Constantine held of the lay-fee, and the land which Helias
his mace-bearer held in Hethill, by the service of being his wheelwright; (fn. 17) witnesses were Henry Bigot his brother, Roger his bastard
son, and Hugh his son, William de Nevile his constable, Sulim his
In 1277 it appears that the manor of Cursons was obliged to find a
certain quantity of oil for the lamps in the church, and chapel of the
manor-house, and a certain number of loaves to distribute to the poor
on the day of the obit of Will. de Curson, which was always held on
St. Catherine's day; and also the dole-bred given yearly on the anniversary of Sir William de Carleton, viz. as much as a bushel and half
of barley would make.
1312, Arnald Lupi de Tillyo, an Italian, was presented by the
1320, Will. de Skothow. Tho. be Brotherton, the King's son,
Earl of Norfolk and Earl-Marshal. He changed in 1345, for Estry
in Cantberury diocese, with
John Radulphi, or Fitz-Ralf, who was presented by Sir John
Segrave, Knt. and in 1347, changed for Rostronthrour in St. David's
Thomas de Merston, who in 1357, changed for Great Reyns
in London diocese, with
John Jay, who was presented by Sir Walt. de Manny, Knt.
1383, Sir John de Trodesham. Margaret le Marshal Countess
of Norfolk. In 1427, he resigned to
Robert Gournay. John Duke of Norfolk. 1439, the Duke,
on Gourney's death, gave it to
Richard Hadilsy, and on his resignation in
1444, to John Gosse; and in
1446, to Will. Halyday, in exchange for Charlewode in Canterbury
diocese; and he in 1457, changed for South Hanningfield in London
Edmund Woodrove, who resigned in 1463, and John Duke of
Norfolk gave it to
Robert Coppin, A.M. and on his death in
1469, to Jeffery Hert, a monk, who was licensed by the Pope to
hold it, notwithstanding he was a monk; in 1474, having thrown by
his habit, on his being outed from this living by reason of it, he obtained another Pope's dispensation from his habit and all monastick
rules, and so becoming a secular, he was re-instituted, and resigned in
1482, to Rob. Hawys, alias Wakerly, priest, a canon regular, who
was presented by the King; and at his death in 1490, Eliz. Dutchess
of Norfolk gave it to
John Rede, who died in 1544, and Thomas Duke of Norfolk,
Treasurer of England, presented
Sir Nicholas Reyner, his chaplain, who in 1554, was succeeded by
Henry Cumbreford, S. T. B. who resigned in
1558, to Oliver Hayber, who resigned in 1659, and the Duke
gave it to
Sir Robert Sterling, his chaplain, who in 1603, returned
answer, that Miles Branthwait, Esq. was patron of his living, and
that he had 46 communicants in his parish.
1618, Henry Townley, on whose death in 1619, the Earl of Arundel
gave it to
Rob. Witherel, A. M. who was succeeded by
Edmund Allen in 1658, Witherel dying Jan. 30, in that year.
Allen is buried in the nave with this inscription:
M.S. Depositi Edmundi Allen, Viri, insigni probitate pariq;
modestia, castis, Sanctisq; moribus, ornati, Ecclesiæ Anglicanæ
Sacerdotis, non mediocriter Docti, non immerito laudati, Qui Naturæ cessit quinto die Maij A. D. 1683, Æt. suæ 67.
Abi Lector, et ut tu discas vivere, vive tanquam citò moriturus.
1683, Sam. Hancock, A.M. William Branthwait, Esq. On his
1697, Richard Branthwait was presented by Will. Branthwait,
Esq. his father, in
1737, John Reddington, rector of Rackhythe, and master of Norwich grammar school, was instituted here, and held it by union with
Rackhythe; he is buried under a black marble near the font, on
which is this,
In hope of a joyfull Resurrection, here lieth the Body of John
Reddington A.M. late Rector of this Parish, & Mary his
Wife; he died 24 Sept. 1739, aged 57, and she 18 Feb. 1742,
and was succeeded by
John Lombe, clerk, late rector and vicar of Scarning, on
whose resignation in
1743, the Rev. Mr. Metyer Reynolds, (fn. 18) the present rector, was presented by Miles Branthwait, Esq. the present patron,
Who hath a handsome seat called Hethill-hall, about two furlongs south of the church; and the parsonage, which is very convenient, and was much beautified by Mr. Reddington, stands about one
furlong north-east of the church, which is very neat, as the chancel
was also made, by Mr. Reddington. It is leaded, and hath a handsome Venetian window at its east end, the windows in both chancel
and church being sashes; the church is 33 feet long, and 22 broad;
and the chancel 26 feet long and 13 broad; the nave and north isle
are leaded, and the north porch tiled; the steeple is square, about 56
feet high, and hath only one bell.
The arms of Thorp of Ashwellthorp quartering Banyard, and
also those of Appleyard, and gul. a chevron arg. between three
boars heads in a bordure ingrailed of the 2d, were in the windows, but
are now lost. There is a stone by the font for Rob. Hammond Gent.
Aug. 15, 1678, Rob. his Son, Oct. 14, 1687, 44.
The Branthwaytes are descended from John Branthwayte
of Sebber, or Sedber, in Yorkshire, who married a Clere of Stokesby
in Norfolk; and their son,
John Branthwayt, settled at Norwich; (fn. 19) he married Elizabeth
Turner of Essex, by whom he had four sons,
I, Richard Branthwayte of Lincoln's Inn, serjeant at law,
who married Margaret, daughter of John Bull of London; he had a
coat of arms granted him by Rob. Cooke, Clarencieux, by patent dated
July 21, 1582, viz. or, two bendlets ingrailed S. Crest, a falcon
rising from a rock proper; (fn. 20) he was called to be a serjeant by writ dated
at Westminster 25 Nov, 1594, 36 Eliz. and was buried in St. Martin's
Ludgate, Oct. 7, 1595; he had one son, Richard, who owned land in
Wigenhale 18 James I. and four daughters, the eldest married to Sir
William Spencer; 2d, Mary, to Henry Gilling, Gent. of Yorkshire.
3d, Margaret, to Robert Marsham of Norfolk. 4th, Elizabeth to Sir
Will. Webbe. (fn. 21)
2, Henry Branthwayt, who was feodary for Norfolk in 1603,
and died without issue about 1617; he married Mrs. Davy of Elingham, grandmother to the old Lady Potts.
3, Miles Branthwaite, who purchased Hethill, where he lies
buried under an elegant marble monument on the north side of the
altar, with the crest and arms of Branthwait at top, with a martlet for
difference; and Branthwait impaling Southwell, and this inscription:
The inclosed is the Body of Miles Branthwait Esq. whose
Place of Birth, was Peter's parish in Norwich; his wife Mary, one
of the Daughters of John Southwell of Barham in the County
Suffolk Esq; his Place of death, London; his Day of death the 5th
of August 1612, his Age 55 Years; his surviving Issue, one Son
& two Daughters.
If Death would take an Answer, he was free,
From all those sorts of Ills, that he did see;
And gave no Measure, that he would not have
Given to him, as hardly, as he gave; [Deathe,
Then thou Miles Branthwayte, migh'st have answer'd
And to be so moral, migh'st bayle Breathe;
Thou wast not yet to dye, but be thou blest,
From weary Life, thou art gone to quiet rest.
Joy in thy Freedom, from a Prison thou
Wast by God's Hand pluckt out, and liest now,
Free from the Dust and Cobwebs of this Vaile,
And richer art thou, by thy Heavenly Baile,
Than he that shut the up; This Heap of Stones,
To thy Remembrance, and to Chest thy Bones,
Thy Wife doth consecrate, so sleep 'till when
All Graves must open, and yield up their Men.
On the altar tomb lie two effigies at their full lengths; he hath his
robes on, and one hand under his head; she hath her hands closed in
a praying posture, being buried by him; on the front of the tomb are
the effigies of their son Arthur, and their two daughters; Margaret,
who married to Sir Robert Leigh of Chigwell in Essex, and Elizabeth,
who lies buried by them, with this on a brass plate:
Here resteth 'till her Redeemer cometh, the Body of Elizabeth
Branthwayte, on of The Daughters of Miles Branthwayte Esq; who
departed this Life the first Day of May, 1621, Ætatissuæ 20.
A modest, humble, chaste, and vertuous Maide,
Is by Death's ruder Hand untimely laide.
In this cold Bed; a Mother's Piety,
Plac'd here this Marble, to her Memory.
Many a sad Tear hath that Mother shed,
Since her dear Fruit was here deposited,
Only this Comfort doth those Griefs Controul,
That Gracious Heaven received her spotless Soul.
4, Will. Branthwait, master of Caius college in Cambridge,
died single, in his vice-chancellorship, Feb. 15, 1618; an account of
him may be seen vol. iii. p. 302, and in Fuller's Church History,
Cent. 17, fo. 46.
Arthur Branthwayte of Hethill, Esq. son of Miles Branthwayte, by Mary (fn. 22) daughter of John Southwell, was married at Besthorp
Febr. 20, 1625, to Mrs. Bridget, daughter of Sir Anthony Drury, Knt.
(vol. i. p. 500.) It seems as if he died in 1645, for on the 10th of Feb.
in that year, there was an inquisition taken at his death, by W. Davy,
Gent. feodary for Norfolk; by which it was found, that he died seized
of the aforesaid several manors of Hethill, with the royalties thereto
belonging. He had three sons, Arthur Branthwait of London, who
married Mrs. Pitt, Miles Branthwait, who died single, and
William Branthwait of Hethill, Esq. who is buried under a
marble in the chancel, with the arms of Branthwait impaling Berney,
Here lies the Body of William Branthwait Esq; who upon
the first Day of Dec. in the Year of our Lord 1657, married Julian
the Dr. of Thomas Berney of Swardeston Esq; by her he had 18
Children, viz. 8 Sons and 10 Daughters, 12 of which lived to be
Men & Women, two of his Sons & three of his Daughters married
in his Lifetime, & he left at his Death, five Sons and five Daughters, (fn. 23)
twenty three Grand-children, & two Great Grand-children; he
departed this Life, the 28 Day of Febr. in the Year of our Lord
1710, aged 76 Years. Julian Branthwayte aforesaid, died 29
Nov. 1727, Æt. 88, left living at her Death, 7 Children, 19 Grandchildren, & 20 Great Grand-children.
There are memorials here, for the following children of the said
William and Julian:
Here lyeth the Body of Thomas Branthwayte Gent. eldest Son
of William Branthwayte Esq; & Julian his wife, who was Dr. of
Thomas Berney of Swardeston Esq; he departed this Life, in the
Life-time of his Father & Mother, the 6 Day of March, in the
Year of our Lord 1676, aged 20 Years. This Stone was laid down
in Memory of him, by the Will of his Father, under the Character
of his Dear & deservedly beloved Son.
John Branthwayte, doctor of physick, son of William Branthwayte, Esq. and Julian his wife, died at London Jan. 27, 1714.
Sacred to the Memory of William Branthwait Esq; Serjeant at
Law, eighth Child and fifth son, of William Branthwayte Esq; (fn. 24)
of this Parish, and of Julian his wife; he took to wife, Jemima,
only Daughter and Heiress of Augustine Brograve Esq; by
whom he had one Daughter, who died an Infant; this Gentleman
will be remembered for his Eminence in the Law, sweetness in
Temper, and readiness in forgiving Injuries. He dep. Nov. 1,
1729, and was here under buried the 8 of the same month. Æt.
62. (He was of Greys Inn.)
This on a mural monument in the chancel, having Branthwayte's
crest and arms, and on a coat of pretence, Brograve, arg. three lions
passant guardant in pale gul.
Under an altar tomb enclosed with iron palisades, in the churchyard
at the east end of the chancel, lies buried Elizabeth Branthwayte, the
10th daughter and 17th child of William Branthwayte Esq. by Julian
his wife, daughter of Thomas Berney of Swerdeston Esq. ob. 21 Febr.
1728, Æt. 48.
Arthur Branthwayte, Esq. of Hethill, second son and heir of
William and Julian was of Grey's Inn, barrister at law, an eminent
councellor, chosen steward of the city of Norwich in 1691, (fn. 25) which
he resigned in 1703, died at his house at Norwich, on Sunday 29th
Sept. 1717, and was buried at Hethill in the chancel; there is a stone,
with his own and wife's arms impaled, and in a very handsome north
chancel isle, lately built over a vault, designed for the burian-place of
this family, which is entered by a door on the north side out of the
churchyard, as the isle is by two sash doors at the east, are the following achievements, hanging against the wall, viz.
Branthwayte, and Bacon, ar. on a fess ingrailed between three
inescutcheons gul. three mullets or.
Branthwayte, and Berney. Ditto and Bacon, with an
inescutcheon of pretence of Newton, (fn. 26) and this motto, Incipe.
Ditto and Brograve. Motto, Mors janva vitæ.
This isle hath a seat in it for the family to sit in during service:
Sacred to the Memory of Arthur Branthwayte Esq; second
Son of William Branthwayte Esq; and Julian his wife sometime
Chief Justice of the Isle of Ely, (fn. 27) he took to wife Anne, the only
Daughter and Heir of Thomas Bacon, Esq; (fn. 28) second son of Sir
Francis Bacon, sometime one of the Judges of the King's
Bench, by whom he had Six Sons and six Daughters, whereof
Elizabeth, Arthur, Julian, Dorothy, Miles, John, Henry, were
living at his Death. Elizabeth his eldest Daughter, married
to Tho. Sotherton of Taverham Esq; by whom she had Issue
Elizabeth and Thomas, both likewise alive at the Time of his Decease; he departed this Life on the 29th Day of Sept. in the
Year of our Lord 1717, aged 58 Years; and will be remembered
as a faithfull and able Councellour, a just and mercifull Judge.
The above mentioned Anne Branthwayte died Nov. 18, 1729,
aged 68. Thomas son of Arthur Branthwayte and Elizabeth his
wife, died at Norwich Apr. 1, 1714.
Arthur Branthwayte, Esq. of Hethill, the eldest son and heir,
succeeded, and lies buried in the altar rails, with the arms of Branthwayte quartering Bacon, and this,
Sacred to the Memory of Arthur Branthwayte, Esq;
whose Body is deposited under this Stone, next to that of his most
honoured and worthy Father Arthur Branthwayte Esq; some
Time Chief Justice of the Isle of Ely, whose Estate as well as
eminent Vertues, he inherited, and was particularly distinguished
for his Integrity, brotherly Love, extensive Charity, and constancy
in Friendship; which Qualities, with great Zeal and readiness, he
always exerted, whenever his Brothers, Friends, Relations, or the
Poor, stood in need of them; he died at Bristol the 17 of Oct. in
the Year of our Lord 1724, much lamented by all that knew him,
and was here buried the 31st Day of the same Month, in the 38th
Year of his Age. (fn. 29)
Miles Branthwayte, Esq. of Hethill, the present lord and
patron, his next brother, succeeded him. He is a barrister at law,
high or capital steward to the Bishop of Norwich, steward of all the
courts, general receiver of all the farm rents, &c. and supervisor of all
the manors belonging to the see. (fn. 30) He married Rebecca, one of the
two daughters and coheiressess of Thomas Newton, Esq. late mayor
of Norwich, (fn. 31) who is now deceased and buried here, by whom he hath
Mr. Arthur Branthwayte, fellow commoner of Caius college in
Cambridge, and one daughter, Elizabeth, both single.