This village, to distinguish it from many other of the same name in
this county, hath the addition of rode fixed to it, from a remarkable
rode or cross standing in Rode-lane, where the road from Wimondham to Diss laid.
The church is dedicated to all the Saints, and hath a square
tower and five bells; there are two isles with chapels at their east
ends, the chancel and nave are thatched. When Norwich Domesday was wrote, Robert Fitz Osbert was patron; the rector had
a house and 26 acres of glebe, which joins to the north side of the
churchyard; the living, with the portion of the prior of SEES, was
valued at 26 marks, (fn. 1) paid 3s. 9d. procurations, 4s. synodals, 13d. ob.
Peter-pence, carvage 2d. and now stands thus in the King's Books,
16l. Carleton Rode Rect - - 48l. clear yearly value,
As sworn; so that it is discharged of first fruits and tenths, and is
capable of augmentation.
Here were gilds of our Lady, St. Peter, and St. John the Baptist; and in 1502, the tower was finished, and the bells fixed.
There was a free-chapel in this town, dedicated to the Virgin Mary,
the way which leads to it is still called Chapel-gate-lane, but it hath
been long since demolished.
On the steeple wall is this,
Reparata et ornata fuerunt hæc Turris,
Ecclesia ejusque Cella, Anno Domini 1717.
JOHANNE OLIVER Clerico Parochiæ ejusdem
Johanne Howse, Samuele Denny et alijs Generosis
Gulielmo Pullyn et Jacobo Blazicr Ecclesiæ
Et Henrico Kerrison de Carleton Orientali,
This Church was built, in it God to adore,
And ought to have been repair'd long before;
By which neglect, we did great sums expend,
Then lett Successors look in Time to mend,
For if Decays they early don't prevent,
They will like us, when 'tis too late, repent.
There is a stone for Tho. Howse of this parish, 16 Mar. 1671, and
his six youngest children; and another for Tho. Talbot, Gent. Jan. 2,
1657, with the arms of Talbot of Windham, impaling a chevron ingrailed between three goats heads erased. There was taken up some
years since, a fine stone coffiin in the midst of the chancel, which
stood level with the earth, the gravestone that covered it being jointed
into the trough or coffin part. There is an altar tomb on the south
side in the churchyard for Thomas le Hunt, Esq. son of Sir George le
Hunt of little Bradley in Suff. Jan. 2, 1703, 76. Margaret his Relict,
Nov. 6, 1716, 80.
1307, Henry de Clavering. Catherine, relict of Roger, son of
Peter, son of Osbert.
1317, John Walram. The said Cath. Fitz-Oubern.
1338, John, son of Roger Lither. Lady Catherine, relict of Sir
Walt. de Norwich, Knt.
1352, William Ernald, buried in the middle of the chancel in 1375;
his stone lies now at the entrance, his effigies in a priest's habit in his
desk, with a book lying before him, and a cross standing before, remains in brass, but the inscription is lost. He was presented by Sir
Roger, son of Sir Walter de Norwich, Knt. on whom this advowson
was entailed by fine levied about 1320, when John Noyon and Peter
Jernegan, and Catherine, relict of Roger Fitz-Osbert, settled it on
Sir Walter de Norwich and Catherine his wife, and Roger their son.
1375, Elias de Byntre, son of Will. Fychet; he was buried in this
church till he could be carried to the new chantry at Metyngham.
Margaret, relict of Sir Walter Norwich.
1385, William Browne. Ditto.
1392, King Richard II. granted license to appropriate this rectory
to the college of Norton Soupecors, but for want of the Bishop's consent, it never took effect.
1411, Master William Bernham, afterwards vicar general, &c. see
vol. iii. p. 632. The master and brethren of Metingham chantry or
college, which was founded by Sir John de Norwich, Knt. ViceAdmiral, and Lord of Metynham.
1425, Master Will. Shelton, LL. B. Ditto. At his death in
1436, William Brigham succeeded, and held it united to Kilverston.
(Vol. i. p. 546,) on whose resignation in
1442, Hen. Gardiner had it, who was buried in the chancel in 1464.
1464, Thomas Myndryn; he resigned it, but lived till 1473.
1467, Thomas Pecke; he resigned in
1493, Thomas Rede, S. T. P.; he new roofed the chancel; the
initial letters of his name, are often on the roof. Ric. Braunche,
and the eight follows of Metingham college.
1543, John Proctor, by grant from the college.
1560, William Bennet; no graduate, and a man under excommunication. John Denny, Esq. He had a long suit with Stokes,
as coming in by simony.
1596, Richard Stokes. Ditto; united to Bunwell. In 1603, he
was chaplain to the Archbishop of Canterbury, and returned answer,
that there were 340 communicants in this parish, and that Fyrmyn
Denny was patron.
1619, Tho. Stokes, LL. B. united to Newton Flotman; he was presented by Sir Will. Doyly, assignee of Thomas Denny; and was
afterwards rector of Heigham by Norwich, (see vol. iv. p. 506,) from
which, as also from this, and a temporal estate of about 30l. per annum, he was ejected by the Earl of Manchester, April 28, 1644, for
absence, keeping an insufficient curate, observing the rules of the
church, refusing to contribute to the rebellion, and being an ale-house
haunter; he had a wife and three children. (Walker's Sufferings of
the Clergy, Part II. fo. 367.)
1660, Edward Atkinson, united to Bunwell. Robert Barton,
Esq. He lies buried under an altar tomb on the south side of the
churchyard, with the arms of Atkinson, and this,
Reverendi EDWARDI ATKINSON, hujusce
Ecclesiæ per triginta et septem Annos,
Honestis et Generosis Parentibus apud Lincolnienses nata, apudque Cantabrigiensis
Viri Pietate, Prudentiâ, Humilitate, et Divinarum humanarumque Literarum Studijs
Decessit Ille Bonus, quarto die Maij
Anno Æræ Xianæ 1698°, Ætatisque suæ 770°.
Bonis, Doctisque omnibus (quibuscum
Versatus erat) non indignè lugentibus.
1698, John Oliver. Thomas Hoogan, Gent. At his death he
was was succeeded in
1719, by William Rant, (fn. 2) who held it united to Bunwell, and died
in 1730; and in
1731, The Rev. Mr. James Baldwin, sen. A.M. then rector of Icklingham St. James, and Quidenham, (see vol. i. p. 334,) was presented
by John Buxton, Esq. of Chanons in Tibenham, then lord and
patron, (see vol. i. p. 295,) father of Rob. Buxton, Esq. of Chanons
and Shadwell Lodge, the present lord and patron, to this and Bunwell, which he now holds by union.
In 1472, Edmund Cok was buried in this church, and gave a legacy
to the chapel of the blessed Virgin Mary in this town.
This village paid 6l. to every tenth.
At the Conquest, this town was in five parts, the first and principal
part belonged to Roger Bigot's manor of Forncet, (fn. 3) and was held of
it by 21 freemen, two of which, with the two churches, (fn. 4) and 30 acres
of glebe belonging to them, he gave to Oslac; the rest attended
Forncet manor to this day; in right of which, his Grace the Duke of
Norfolk is lord paramount over all his own tenants, and still holds
court lete here.
The second part belonged to Fibenham manor, which Alric a thane
of the Confessor's held, and was given to Eudo son of Spiruwin who
held it at the Conqueror's survey, and Hainfrid under him. (fn. 5) Carleton was then two miles and an half long, and one mile and a quarter
and four perches broad, and paid 22d. to the geld or tax. This
part was after aliened from Tibenham manor, and joined to Carleton;
and accordingly in 1550, Thomas, son and heir of Edmund Knevet,
held a parcel of the manor of Tibenham lying in Carleton-Rode.
And hence it is, that as all the manors are united, and joined to Bunwell and Carleton, with their members, (fn. 6) that Tibenham is
always mentioned. This part was very early joined to Bokenham
castle, which it always attended till sold from it by the Knevets; (fn. 7) and
accordingly in Henry the Third's time, 1257, that King granted to
Robert de Tateshale, Lord of Bukenham Castle, liberty of free-warren
in his demean lands in this town, (fn. 8) and King Rich. II. in 1394, confirmed it to Constantine de Clifton his heir; and in 1275, King Edw. I.
granted view of frankpledge or a lete, and assize of bread and ale of
all his tenants in Tibenham and Carleton, for which he paid 3s. per
annum to Depewade hundred.
The third part belonged to William de Warren, who had it of the
king's gift, and Almar a freeman held it in the Confessor's time
under Bishop Stigand; (fn. 9) this aftewards became the manor called
The fourth part belonged to Alan Earl of Richmond, (fn. 10) as appendant to his manor of Cossey, (fn. 11) and made part of the manor of
The fifth part belonged to the manor of Howe, which Godric the
sewer took care of for the King. (fn. 12) And this was the state of the village
at the Conqueror's survey. The capital manor called
Contained that part and advowsons, which Oslac had of the Bigots,
and that part which belonged to Cossey, the former of which was
always held of the Norfolk family, and the latter, of the honour of
Richmond, (fn. 13) to which the King's part was afterwards added, when
Maud, mother of King Henry II. gave it to Gundred the Countess,
the whole being then worth 10l. per annum. That Countess infeoffed
the whole in one Osbert, and Petronel or Parnel, his wife, the father
and mother of Roger Fitz Osbert, founder of St. Olave's in Herlingfleet, about 1216; and he, by Maud his wife, left Osbert his son,
who gave 40 acres in Tibenham, to the church of St. Olave, with his
body to be buried there, leaving Peter Fitz-Osbert his son and
heir, who gave the advowson of Witlingham to the church of Saint
Olave, and dying in 1275, was buried there, as was Beatrix his wife
in 1278, leaving this manor and others, to their son Roger, who passed
sometimes by the name of Fitz-Osbert, sometimes Le Fitz-Osbert, or
Oubern, and is often called Roger son of Peter, son of Osbert, (fn. 14) he
died in 1305; Catherine his widow survived him, and held it for
life; she presented twice to this rectory. At her death it was to descend to the heirs of the two sisters and heiresses of Roger aforesaid,
viz. Sir Peter Jernegan, (fn. 15) son of Sir Will. Jernegan, by Isabel,
sister of the said Roger, and to John Nuin, or Noion, (now Nun,)
of Salle in Norfolk, son and heir of Alice the other sister of the said
Roger, and they about 1320, by fine, settled the manor and advowson on
Sir Walter de Norwich, and Catherine his wife, (fn. 16) and Roger
their son and his heirs, together with the manor and advowson of
Bunwell Perse-hall, all which, have passed together to this day.
In Carleton-Rode, took its name from the owners, who were sirnamed
from the rode or cross they dwelt by. In 1237 Walter de Rode
held it a quarter of a fee of Roger Fitz-Osbert, he of the EarlMarshal, and he of the King. In 1271, Ralf, father of Walter, released all right to Walter: It after belonged to William de Rode,
called also de Carleton; and in 1338, to Benedict de Uvedale and John
de Carleton-Rode, and then to Robert de Rode; (fn. 17) and in 1402, Will.
Woodherd had it, and after him Robert Morton, Esq.; and in 1470,
I find it in Henry son and heir of John Heydon, Esq. who joined
it to his other manor here, called
Bokenham's In Carleton-Rode,
Which took its name also from its owners; in 1279, Robert de
Bukenham died seized, leaving it to Isolda his wife, who claimed
the guardianship of their son, against John de Hastyngs, Roger Bigot,
William Ross, and Maud his wife, William de Nerford and Petronel
his wife, and Robert de Caston, all claiming the same, on account of
lands held of them by the heir. It appears that this manor had then
two acres of meadow in demean, 100 acres of wood, four hens paid
for rent, 64 days work in harvest, done by the tenants, pannage for 84
hogs, and liberty for 80 men, and two servants appointed by the lord
to look after them, to gather nuts for six days together in the woods
belonging to the manor of Lopham. In 1404, Agnes wife of Tho. de Lye,
had a third part of it, and conveyed it to John de Colby; and afterwards all the parts were bought in by John Heydon, Esq. and in 1479,
Henry Heydon his son, held these manors joined as aforesaid at the
death of John, together with Bosevile's manor in Bunwell, to which I
In 1544, I find a fine levied of the third part of the manor of
Beauchamp's or Beacham's, which was settled by Rob. Newport,
Esq. and Margaret his wife (in whose right he had it) on Sir John
Clere, Knt. This belongs to Beacham's manor in Wimondham,
which extended hither. (See vol. ii. p. 506.)
The lords of the honour of Clare, had lands here held of them.
In 1438, John Duke of Bedford died seized of two courts called
Turns, and one court called Lete, to be held yearly in the village of
Carleton-Rode. (Esch. No. 36, 14 H. VI.) and the whole lands held
of that honour were extended or valued at half a fee.
In 1570, return was made that Thomas Knyvet, junior, James Hubbard, Gent. Anthony Denny, Gent. Robert Grey, Rob. Jexe, and John
Randolf were lords here, and that the honour of Richmond and the
Earl of Arundel were chief lords of the commons.
In 1699, the manor of Richemond's, formerly the Talbot's, is mentioned, and said to belong to Mr. William Jubbs, and then to Mr.
Martin; but finding this never named elsewhere, am apt to think,
that they only hired the property of Richmond honour.
The religious concerned here were, the prior of Norwich, whose
temporals were taxed at 4s. those of the Prior of Bukenham at 2s. 9d.
and those of the Prior of Wangford, at 6d. ob. q.