In King Edward the Confessor's time, Harold, who was afterwards King of England, was lord of this town; which on the Conquest was given by the Conqueror to one of his lords and followers,
Ralph de Tony, and at the survey he held it, and had 32 villeins,
11 bordsmen, and 4 carucates of land in demean, and 10 amongst the
men, pannage for 1000 hogs, 20 acres of meadow, a mill, and a saltpit, (fn. 1) when he entered on it, there were 4 beasts for work, and 19
young cattle, or stock, 100 hogs, 105 sheep, and 80 goats; one
church, endowed with 36 acres, valued at 36d. and 5 socmen who
held 5 carucates. It was in length one mile, and an half mile in
breadth, and paid 9d. gelt, when the hundred was taxed at 20s. (fn. 2)
This Ralph de Tony was with the Conqueror at the battle of
Hastings, and for his services had the grant of this lordship, and
many others in this county, &c.: he was son of Robert de Tony, a
great Norman baron, who was standard-bearer of Normandy.
In the reign of Henry III. we find it in the same family; Robert de
Tony held it of the King, but by what services the jury know not; (fn. 3)
and in the 48th of the said king, Roger de Tony died seized of it, and
of Sparham, a member of it, Godwick, Steer-Hall, in CressinghamMagna, Cressingham-Parva, and Wortham, or Wretham.
In the 15th of Edward I. Ralph de Tony, lord, claimed before
the itinerant judges at Norwich, Solomon de Rochester, Richard de
Boyland, Robert Fulk, Mr. Thomas de Sadington, Walter de Stirchelegh, and Walter de Hopton, free warren, view of frankpledge,
assise of bread and beer, gallows, weyf, &c. here; (fn. 4) and he occurs lord,
in the 34th of the said King, Clarisia being his lady.
In the 3d of Edward II. Robert de Tony, who married Maud,
daughter of Malisius, Count of Strathern, in Scotland, was lord; and
the said lady, in the 9th of that king, then a widow, held the same;
and by Alice, heir and sister of the said Robert, who married first,
Thomas Leibourne, and after, Guy de Beauchamp Earl of Warwick,
it became vested in the Warwick family; and accordingly, in the
34th of Edward III. Sir Guy de Beauchamp, eldest son of Thomas
Earl of Warwick, died possessed of it, and Cressingham-Parva, with
the advowsons of the abbeys of Shouldham and Westacre, and the
church of Necton; (fn. 5) the Lady Philippa, his wife, a daughter Catherine,
aged 7 years, and Elizabeth, aged 1 year, surviving him.
From this family it descended, in the reign of Henry VI. to the
Neviles Earls of Warwick, and was in the 3d of Henry VII. released
by Anne Countess of Warwick, to that King, and remained in the
Crown (fn. 6) till it was granted on the 27th of June, in the 2d and 3d of
Philip, and Mary, as is expressed in the patent, to her beloved and
faithful counsellor, Sir Henry Bedingfeld of Oxburgh, being
parcel of the possessions called Warwick Lands, with the wood called
Necton Wood, and Park, the manor of Westacre, in Grimston,
and Congham, the manor of Hillington, called the Abbot's manor,
the manor of Uphall, alias Ashill, Collards and Games, with the advowson of the church of Ashill, in consideration of his surrendering a
pension of 100l. per annum, granted him by the said Queen for life,
for his services at Framlingham, in the late rebellion, and also in
exchange for the manors of Wald Newton, and Baynton, in Yorkshire, granted as above: in this family it continued, till it was sold to
Henry Eyre, Esq. of Bures-Hall in Hale, whose brother, Dr,
Eyre, had it; but it now belongs to Daniel Collier of Wroxham,
Sparham-Hall, Cocket's, alias Corbet's, and
Sparham-Hall lordship was a part granted from the capital manor
of Necton, by Roger de Tony, father of Ralph, to Roger de Clifford, who gave it to Henry de Burnhill or Burwell, and after the
death of the said Henry, it returned to Roger aforesaid, who sold it to
John Le Bretun, who held it in the 3d of Edward I.; (fn. 7) and in the last
year of that King a fine was levied between Simon le Breton, querent,
and the said John, who settled the same on Simon in tail, remainder
to Edmund, brother of Simon, after to Nicholas, remainder to the
right heir of John; and in the 9th of Edward II. the aforesaid Edmund was lord.
In the 20th of Edward III. Thomas Breton held Sparham by the
40th part of a knight's fee, of the heirs of Roger de Clifford, and Roger,
of Guy de Beauchamp, and Guy, of the King. (fn. 8)
In the 5th of Richard II. (fn. 9) a fine was levied between Ralph
Churchman (fn. 10) of Neketon, and Margaret his wife, and Elizabeth,
daughter and heir of Thomas Breton, of Essex, Esq. who conveyed this
manor, with 16s. 2d. rent in Shingham, Bodney, Holm Hale, &c. to
Ralph; but in the 3d of Henry IV. it was held by Richard Thwyte.
In the beginning of King Edward the Fourth's reign, Sir Thomas
Tudenham died seized of it, and Margaret his sister was found to be
After this, it was possessed by the Cockets, and in the 1st of Edward I. a fine was levied between George Cocket, Gent. querent, and
Anthony Cocket, defendant, of this manor, 20 messuages, and lands, in
Sparham, Necton, Fransham, Dunham, Hale, Shingham, and Bodney. (fn. 11)
The Cockets held also another manor here, which took its name
from them, and was probably a part of that of Sparham, as they
both, from this time, were held by the same lord; the first mention I
find of this family is in the 34th of Henry VIII. when John Conway,
Esq. on the 5th of September, granted to Ann Cocket, widow of Edward Cocket, Esq. one close called Birds, 7 acres of land, the liberty
of a faldcourse, with the appurtenances belonging. In 1571, George
Cocket was lord of Sparham-Hall, and Cockets; on the 15th of December 1621, Osbert Prat, junior, Gent. held his first court as lord;
but in the year 1633, Henry Beke purchased it of Prat, William Beke
and Jeremy Beke were after lords: and Anne, widow of Jeremy, held
them in 1657. In 1682, Roger West, Esq. of Mersworth in Bucks,
enjoyed it as heir at law to the Bekes; and in 1700, Edmund Miller,
serjeant at law, purchased it of West, who dying in 1730, left it to
Richard Hassell, Esq. the present lord.
To this lordship belonged a free chapel called Sparham chapel,
which was endowed with the tithes of the woods of the manors of Neketon and Sparham, and of the money made of the sale of them, the
whole offerings of the manor of Sparham, two parts of all the tithes
both real and prædial of the demeans of the manors of Necton, and
Sparham, and of 552 acres, and one rood of other lands, two parts of
all the small tithes of the aforesaid manors, and of all beasts, cattle,
and living things whatsoever, belonging to the lords of those manors;
which endowment was first made and settled by Sir Roger de Tony,
who founded this chapel, which was after given by Ralf, his son, to
his monastery at Westacre, (fn. 12) to which it was wholly appropriated,
and they served it by one of their own monks, till the dissolution of
that monastery, when the chapel was entirely demolished, and all
its revenues granted by King Henry VIII. together with the patronage
of the rectory of Necton, and advowson of the vicarage thereto
belonging, (fn. 13) 1st December, 1546, to Robert Hogan, Esq. and his
heirs, in which family they continued, till they were purchased by Sir
Julius Cæsar, Knt. master of the rolls in 1618, and were after owned
by his lady, Dame Anne-Adelmare CÆsar, who left them to Sir
Henry Hungate, Knt. her son and heir; and he, in 1620, sold
them to Philip Gerard of Grey's Inn, Esq. and William Gerard,
and their heirs; and in 1630, Philip Gerard, Esq. and William Gerard,
presented John Gerard to the rectory; who in 1635 had the advowson and impropriation conveyed by Philip and William, to him
and his heirs; and he in 1639, conveyed them to Thomas Gerard,
of Staple Inn, Esq. his brother, who in 1650, passed them to Thomas
Thorowgood, clerk, rector of Great Cressingham, and his son
Thomas sold them to John Thorowgood of Ditchingham, who in
1677 settled them on Mary, his intended wife; Thomas Knights, and
William Wincop, being her trustees; in 1715, Mr. Thorowgood, the
son, settled them on William Maggs, and William Reynolds, in trust
for Phillippa his wife, with remainder to John Thorowgood;
and in 1717, Mary Thorowgood, the mother, Mr. Thorowgood,
the son, and Phillippa, his wife, and their trustees, conveyed
John Rolf, clerk; and in 1719, Mary Thorowgood, the mother,
John Thorowgood, the son, and Priscilla his wife, sold it to
Rolf and his heirs, and the said John Rolf sold it to
Mr. Benjamin Young, attorney at law in Swaffham; and at his
death, Mrs. Mary Young, widow, the present owner, had them for
life, they being settled on Mr. William Young of Caius college, her
second son, and his heirs.
This impropriation being a lay fee, was, ever since the Dissolution, rented by the rectors, as it now is, there being paid 35l. per
annum to the patron for it; and before the Reformation, the rectors
rented it at 40s. per annum, paid to the Prior of Westacre.
Richard, janitor of the monks of Acre, gave by deed to the
monks there; Gurvant, his villein, of Neketun, in the presence of
Stephen, parson of Neketun, Roger le Strange, &c.; and Ralph, and
Richard, sons of Humphrey de Neketon, (fn. 14) confirmed the said grant, in
the presence of Master Alexander de Walpol, and others, by deed sans
Ricolda, daughter of Isabel de Neketon, with the consent of
Richard, her son and heir, gave to the monks of Castleacre, 4 acres
and one rood of land here, part of Marketsgate, and half an acre in
Estcroft. (fn. 15)
The tenths of this town, with Sparham, were 8l. 18s. Deductions 40s. Remainder 6l. 18s.
Humphrey Necton, bred amongst the Carmes at Norwich, (fn. 16)
flourished in 1259, a great writer, was born in this town, he was created
D. D. in 1259, which faculty he openly professed, by reading lectures,
&c. long after he resided among the friars of his own order at Cambridge, and as some say, was prior of that house, and chaplain to William de Luda Bishop of Ely; but in his latter days, he retired to his
own convent at Norwich, in the church of which he was buried
The church of Necton is dedicated to All-Saints, and is a beautiful and elegant structure; it consists of a nave, a north and a south
isle of flint, &c. covered with lead; the roof of the nave is of oak, curiously wrought and embellished with painting; here are angels with
their wings expanded, supporting the principals; and under them on
pedestals stand the 12 Apostles, carved out in oak above 4 feet in
length, painted and gilt with gold, with the instruments of their martyrdom in their hands: on the north side of the nave stand six, with the
effigies of our Saviour, an orb and a cross in his hand, in the midst,
St. Peter, standing next to him on his right hand; on the south side
stand the other six, with the Virgin Mary in the midst, St. John the
Evangelist standing next to her, on her right hand: and below these
Apostles, on pedestals, are several bishops to complete the work: it
may not be improper to observe on this station of St. John, that the
Romish church maintain him to have been our Lady's confessor, on
which account, no doubt, he is placed so near her, and at the same
time assert that she was without all original sin, and also without sin
actual or mortal; but this has bred such confusions between the Franciscans and Dominicans, that the Pope, with all his infallibility, dare
At the west end of the nave stands a large and lofty square tower of
flint, coped and embattled with free stone, in which is a ring of five
In the porch of this church, which is leaded, about 1504, was buried
Sir Jeffery Norman, parson of Dunham; and in 1506, Robert Bird,
of Sparham in Nekton by the holy water stopp; (fn. 17) he left gifts to the
Holimass gild, St. John Baptist gild, and our Lady gild here.
At the west end of the church lie several gravestones; one, in memory of Thomas Handcock, Gent. who died December 9, 1719, aged
66. Another in memory of John Mason, of Necton, Gent. who
died 19th November 1712, in the 65 year of his age. A third in memory of Frances, wife of John Mason of Necton, Gent. who
died November 2, 1720, in the 67th year of her age. A fourth in memory of Elizabeth, daughter of John and Frances Mason, who
died March 17, 1702, in the 8th year of her age.
At the lower end of the nave is a stone in memory of Mr. Nicholas
Tinkler of Bittering, but late of Necton, who died 13th March, 1711,
in the 45th year of his age. Adjoining, one in memory of Edward,
son of Edward Rust, and Ann his wife, who died April 7, 1708, aged
9 weeks. Another in memory of Richard Mason, Esq. who died
December 15, 1722, in the 37th year of his age. Near to this, one in
memory of John Mason, son of Richard Mason, and Frances his
wife, who died January 4, 1714. One with
Mason, arg. a fess, and in chief two lions heads couped azure,
Bearing Pell, in an escutcheon of pretence, and impaling Ermine
Pell, on a canton azure, a pelican vulning herself, or. In memory
of Richard Mason, Esq. who died 4th July, 1722, Ætatis suæ 39.
The pulpit is of oak handsomely carved and ornamented, and the
desk stands on a gravestone of gray marble, having a portraiture and
a plate of brass inscribed, but so covered as not to be legible: in the
cross passage, near the south isle, lies a gray marble, half covered
with the adjoining seats; on this are the portraitures of a man and his
wife in brass, and a plate thus inscribed,
Orate pro animabus Roberti Goodwyn, et Sabine Uxoris eius,
que quidem Sabina obiit rv, Die Aprilis Ano Dni. Mocccccxxxii,
quorum animabus propitietur Deus.
Under this are two brass plates, on that on the right hand is the
portraiture of seven sons, and on that on the left of three daughters
In the east window of the south isle, Beauchamp Earl of Warwick, gul. a fess between six cross crosslets or.
Tony, arg. a maunch gul.
Fitz-Robert, or, two chevrons gul. Ralph and John Fitz-Robert
were barons in King John's time; before this window is an ascent to
the Holy Trinity altar.
On the pavement in the north isle, just behind the pulpit, lies a gray
marble with the portraiture of a woman in brass, and on a plate,
Orate pro anima Ethelburge quondam filie Roberti Goodwyn
que obiit rv die Mensis Julii Ano Dni. Mvrrvii cuius anime pro
picietur Deus Amen.
At the upper end of the said isle, lies a gray marble with the portraiture of a woman in brass, in a very antique dress, with long sleeves
hanging down, her hands erect, and conjoined; and on a plate,
La Feme William de Wynston qe moroust le Jour de Innocens en l'Ann de Grace M ccclrrv gist icy, Dieu de sa ame eit
At the end of this north isle is a neat screen which separates it
from a chapel, that lies further on the north side of the chancel: here
on the pavement lie several gravestones, with their brasses all reaved;
near the east end, is one with the portraiture of a woman in brass, and
on a plate,
Here under lieth Mary Rust Widow, Daughter of Robert
Goodwyn, Gent. sometime the Wife of John Bacon, Gent and
after the Wife of Robert Rust, which John, died in the Year of
our Lord 1528, and the said Robert Rust, died 1558, and the said
Mary died in the Year 1596. There has been a Shield, but that is
gone. This was called Tony's, or St. Catharine's Chapel.
On the pavement of the chancel, on a gray marble, is the portraiture of a man in brass, and on a plate,
Orate pro anima Johannis Bacon, Generosi qui obiit xx die
Mensis Julii Ano Dni. Movxxviii. cujus anime propitietur Deus.
Before the rails of the communion table lies a very large gray
marble, and thereon is a very curious portraiture of a lady in brass, in
a supplicant posture, at her full length; at her feet are two dogs
couchant, and over her head the arms of Beauchamp, with a label of
three points arg. impaling gules, seven muscles or, Lord Ferrers of
Groby: on the right side of this is a shield with Beauchamp, and on
her left another of Ferrers, and on a rim of brass that runs round the
stone, this French inscription,
Phelippe de Beauchampe qe fuit la lemme Mounst' Buy de
Marrempke gist ici Dieu de S' Alme eit Mercy qe moroust le n
Tohr D' just I' An de Grace Mcclrriii en fine creaunce et bone
memorie manance en la glorie Amen.
This Lady Philippa was the daughter of Henry Lord Ferrers of
Groby, (fn. 18) and married Guy de Beauchamp, eldest son to Thomas Earl
of Warwick; he was a stout and valiant soldier, and received the
honour of knighthood, 29th of Edward III. and died at Vendosme in
France, 33d of Edward III. Dugdale observes, that he left two
daughters, Catharine and Margaret, nuns at Shouldham in Norfolk, and appointed by his last will, dated 26th September, in the said
year, that this church of Necton should be appropriated to the said
monastery, for the maintenance of his two daughters during their
lives, and from and after their decease, that the house of Shouldham
should be obliged to find a priest to celebrate divine service daily, for
the souls of his father and mother, his own and wife's, his said two
daughters, and of all the faithful departed. (fn. 19)
It is certain this will never took effect, and that this church was
never appropriated to the abbey; and at his death, as it is above observed, his eldest daughter was but 7 years, and his other aged but one
year, so not capable of receiving the veil.
By the chancel door is a little stone in memory of John, son of
Francis and Elizabeth Rivans, who died June 6, 1727, aged one year.
On the north side of the communion rails, is a marble gravestone,
Depositum Edmundi Bird, A.M. hujus Parochiæ Vicarii
obijt 19 Julij 1708, Ætat. 52. Hic jacet Sara Uxor Edmundi
Bird, obijt 15th November, Ano Dni. 1721, Ætat 68. Qualis erat
supremus indicabit Dies.
Within the rails on a stone,
Here lieth the Body of Easter, late Wife of John Rolf Clerk,
by whom she had 2 Daughters Mary and Ann-Phillis, which said
Easter Rolf, exchang'd this Life for a better the 27th Day of
March, in the Year of our Lord 1714, and of her Age the
In the great east window are the arms of Tony.
In the churchyard, south of the church, is an ancient tomb raised
with freestone, and on that lies a thick cover of stone, in the form of
a coffin, with the effigies of a lady in an antique dress carved thereon,
without any shield or inscription: that this is in memory of some lady
of quality is certain from her dress and habit; the inhabitants here
have by tradition an account that a certain lady in ancient days going
a pilgrimage to the Lady of Walsingham, died in this parish, and desired to be buried here; leaving them a considerable estate, which
they enjoy at this day.
The Beauchamps Earls of Warwick being lords of the town, and
patrons of the church, which, as I imagine, was built also by one of
that family, and a lady of that family lying in the chancel; it is highly
probable, that this tomb here was also erected to the memory of some
lady of that family: Dugdale, in his View of Warwicksh. p. 330 acquaints us, that the Lady Isabell, Countess Dowager of Warwick, by
her will, dated 1439, gave her tablet with the image of our lady, having
a glass for it, to be offered to our Lady of Walsingham, as also her
gown with wide sleeves, and a tabernacle of silver, like in the timbre
to that of our lady of Caversham. I shall only add, that the dress and
habit of the lady here much resembles this age, and this lady might
have her jointure and die here, as the Lady Philippa aforementioned
In the reign of Edward I. Ralph de Thony was patron; (fn. 20) the rector
held 28 acres of land without a manse, and the vicar had a manse
without any land; the rectory was valued at 26 marks, and the
vicarage was taxed at 5 marks, Peter-pence 10d. ob.
Stephen, rector about the reign of Henry II. or III.
1315, Ralp de Fuldone. Maud de Tony. Called also Ralph de
1355, Alban Atte-Fen, res. Guy Earl of Warwick. He was
afterwards rector of Bodyngton, in the diocese of York.
1371, John Semere de Carlton. (fn. 21) The Lady Philippa de Beauchamp.
1384, John Eyr, res. The King.
1388, Thomas de Wroxham. Thomas Earl of Warwick. He
was rector of Aleby in Norfolk, and exchanged with Eyr. By his
will, dated on St. Alphage the Bishop, 1422, he desires to be buried
in the monastery of Sybton in Suffolk, near to his parents.
1422, Nicholas Hatheway, on the death of Wroxham, res. Rich.
Earl of Warwick.
1427, John Verney. John Throgmorton, Robert Andrews,
and John Vaumpage, feoffees and attorneys general to Richard Earl
of Warwick. He was rector of Coytyff, in Landaff diocese, and exchanged with Hatheway,
1427, William Berskwell, res. John Verney, clerk, John Throgmorton, &c.
1439, John Smyth. Richard Earl of Warwick. He held the
church of Houghton Magna, near Northampton, and exchanged with
William Hill, died rector.
1459, Michael Clements. Thomas Huggeford, Nicholas Rody,
and William Berkswell, feoffees, &c. to Richard Earl of
Michael, a friar-preacher, died rector.
1477, Thomas Typpe. Richard Duke of Gloucester,
1485, Thomas Hylling, collated by lapse, ob.
1507, Thomas Neche died rector. The King, the first fruits then
were 26 marks.
1550, Anthony Hogan. Bridgett Calybut, wife of John Calibut,
Esq. and relict of Robert Hogan, Esq.
1550, Gabriel Griffin.
John Barnes, rector, ob.
1576, William Randall. Anthony Hogan, Esq.
William Pritherigge, LL. D. he resigned.
1580, Henry Crooke, A. M. Anthony Hogan, Esq.
1587, Anthony Hogan, rector. Henry Hogan, Esq.
1630, John Gerard, ob. Philip Gerard, Esq. and William
Gerard, united to the vicarage.
1644, Nicholas Rust. Thomas Gerard, Gent.
John Brockel, res.
1661, Ralph Outlaw, A. M. Tho. Thorowgood, rector of Cressingham Magna.
1662, John Steer, A. M. Sir Edw. Barkham, Sir Tho. Wodehouse, and Edward Chamberlain, Esq.
1693, William Delke. The King by lapse; on Delke's death, in
1718, Mr. John Rolf resigned the vicarage, which was then perpetually consolidated to the rectory, and then Mr. Hen. Wastell,
A. M. his father-in-law, presented him, and he obtained a union to
the rectory of Holme-Hale; he died January 6, 1748, and lies interred in the chancel. And in June,
1749, The Rev. Mr. Thomas Patrick Young, the present rector
and vicar, was instituted at the presentation of Mrs. Mary Young,
of Swaffham, widow, and now holds this consolidated rectory and
vicarage, united to Holm-Hale.
To this vicarage belong a good glebe and house, adjoining to the
east part of the churchyard; the rector paid no annual synodals nor
procurations, but visitatorial procurations only, viz. 2s. 1d. the
vicar answering the whole, viz. 1s. 9d. annual synodals, and
7s. 7d. ob. archdeacons procurations, and 2s. qr. visitatorial procurations.
The rectory is undischarged, and so incapable of augmentation, it
standing thus in the King's Books; it pays first fruits and yearly
8l. 6s. 8d. Necton alias Neighton rectory, 16s. 8d. yearly tenths.
The vicarage is discharged of first-fruits and tenths, and stands
8l. 1s. 8d. Necton alias Neighton vicarage, 45l. clear yearly value.
But they are now cansolidated, as is before observed, and Sparham
chapel, being consolidated to the vicarage long since, occurs not in
the King's Books.
1300, Robert Page, of Saham Tony, presented by Sir Robert
1328, Robert Hubert, of Dunham Parva: Maud de Tony.
1348, William de Sutton. Thomas Beauchamp Earl of Warwick. One of this name was rector of Colveston, about this time.
See vol. ii. p. 231.
1349, John Gayte. Thomas Earl of Warwick.
John de Douchirch. See vol. ii. p. 387.
1352, Hugh Skoner. Tho. Earl of Warwick. He was rector of
Bowthorp in Norfolk, and exchanged with Dovehyth.
1356, William Leighton. Sir Guy de Warwick. He was rector
1359, William Walvyne. He was rector of Becham-Well St. John,
in Norfolk, and exchanged with Leighton. Ditto.
1368, John Galt. Philippa, relict of Sir Guy, &c. He was
vicar of East Tudenham, and exchanged with Walwyne.
1380, John Fauconer. The Lady Philippa, &c. First fruits 5
1381, John Seymer, res. Ditto.
1409, John Atte Dam of Oxburgh. Richard Earl of Warwick.
1419, Robert Smith. John Baysham, rector of Olney, and John
Throgmorton, Esq. attorneys to Richard Earl of Warwick.
1441, Thomas Bolton, res.
1446, John Wright. Tho. Huggeford, Nich. Rody, and Wil.
Berkswell, chaplain, feoffees of the manor of Necton, for Rich.
Earl of Warwick. He was rector of Brinkley in Cambridgeshire, and
exchanged with Bolton.
1448, Robert Curteys, on the resignation of Wright. Tho. Huggerford, &c.
1459, Robert Mayster, on the resignation of Curteys. Ditto. He
was rector of Beacham-Well, All-Saints, and exchanged with Curteys.
1461, Robert Gorham, on the death of Mayster. Tho. Huggeford, &c. William Wryght, vicar, by his will, in 1499, desires
to be buried in the chancel, was a benefactor to St. Mary, All-Saints
and St. John Baptist gilds.
William Beer occurs in
1504; there were at that time in this church, the gilds of our Saviour, the Holy Trinity, All-Saints, St. John Baptist and St. Mary;
also the altar of St. Mary, and that of the Holy Trinity, lights of
St. Mary, the Youngmen's light, &c. (fn. 22)
1507, Richard Goodwyn, on the death of the last vicar. Thomas
Neche, rector of Necton; the patronage of the vicarage, being
now perpetually vested in the rector, for the time being.
1546, Thomas Dysse, S. T. P. on the death of Goodwyn, res. Tho.
1555, Gabriel Griffin. Edmund Goodwyn, farmour of the rectory,
1557, Thomas Hobbes, ob. Ditto.
1559, Thomas Briggs, res. (fn. 23) Mary Rust, hac vice, by grant of
Anthony Hogan, rector.
1563, John Barnes. Ditto.
1576, William Randal. Anthony Hogan.
1580, Henry Croke, A. M. Ditto.
John Gerard, vicar, united to the rectory.
1631, Edmund Agborough, A. B. The Bishop by lapse. The
rector being the true patron.
1661, Ralph Outlaw, A.M. on the resignation of Agborough. Tho.
Thorowgood, B.D. rector of Cressingham-Magna, by grant from
Ralph Outlaw, rector here, united to the rectory.
1684, Edmund Bird, A. M. on the cession of Outlaw. John
Thorowgood, M. D. by grant from the rector.
July 31, 1708, John Rolf, A. B. on the death of Bird, by John
Thorowgood, M. D. united to Hale; he resigned it in 1718, and
it was consolidated to the rectory.
On the north side of the chancel of this church, in 1326, a chapel
was founded by the Lady Maud, relict of Sir Robert Tony, son of
Sir Ralph de Tony, and dedicated to St. Mary and St. Catherine, for a chantry priest to officiate there, and to pray daily for
the soul of her husband, herself, and of her father and mother; of
Malisius Earl of Stratherne and Agnes his wife, and all their parents;
and to this end, she gave her manor at Grimeston, which she purchased of William Sherman of Tilney, with its appurtenances, valued
at 6 marks per annum, to the convent of Cokesford in Norfolk; she
also gave to the said convent, a messuage, and 12 acres of land in
Neketon, and the chantry priest, who was to be a secular, was to be
presented by the prior and convent; he had a mansion-house assigned
him in the said town, and was enjoined residence; he had a cup
weighing 20s. to officiate with, and a missale then given him by John
Prior of Cokesford. (fn. 24) This chantry, had also 7 acres and 3 roods of
land belonging to it, lying in Swaffham: the aforesaid chantry, with
its endowment, &c. was confirmed by King Edward III. and by Rob.
de Reppes, lord of the fee, and the aforesaid convent covenanted to
find a chaplain to officiate in the chapel of St. Mary and St. Catherine, in Necton, and to pay him a stipend of 6 marks per annum;
this is the chapel at the east end of the north isle, which is still
Chantry priests or chaplains, all presented by the
Priors of Cokesford, and instituted by the Bishops of
1326, Nicholas de Bainham; he resigned to Ralph Nauthe in 1327.
In 1331, Rich. de Saham. 1371, Will. Elstre. Will. Burwell, 1532.
John Marshall, on the dismission of Burwell, collated by the Bishop
by lapse, who dispensed with Marshall's residence three months in
every year, on account of the poverty of the place.
Ambrose Irbie, the last chantry priest, on the dissolution of it, had a
pension of 3l. 19s. 4d. per annum which he enjoyed in 1553.
I find one John Tudenham, chantry priest of the chantry of Curteys in the church of Necton, on its dissolution, to have a pension of
6l. per annum; but I question whether Necton there mentioned is not
Nacton in Suffolk. This parish has an estate belonging to it, let
at 65l. per annum, and one let for 5l. 10s. per annum, and several almhouses near the church, the profits of which are principally to repair
and adorn the parish church, and what annually remains overplus, to
be applied towards the maintenance of the poor, highways, and other
common benefits of the parish.