Is so called from its site, the river Nar (fn. 1) running on the north side
of it. Sir Henry Spelman, in his Icenia, p. 142, relates, that John
Brame, a monk of Thetford, who lived in the reign of Henry IV. in
a MS. history, (quoted frequently by Dr. Caius in his History of
Cambridge,) maintains Narburgh to have been a city, in the time
of Uter Pendagron King of Britain, about the year 500: governed
by Earl Okenard; that it was besieged seven months by Waldy, a
king in the neighbourhood, who on the taking it, entirely rased it.
Though this account may savour too much of the cloister, it is evident,
that it was a place of eminence in the Saxon age, from its name, and
the works adjoining to it. At this time, a curious large military foss
or ditch, with its mound, runs from this town to Beacham-well and
Berton, Eastmore fen-ground; by this entrenchment, the hundred of
Clackclose, was so well secured, that no passage or entrance could be
into it, but by admission here, or over the rivers Ouse, Wissey, and
and Nar, which surrounded the other parts of it. At the head of
this foss, near to Narburgh-Hall, was a lofty artificial hill, serving
as a fort or encampment; at the foot of this hill, about the year
1600, several human bones, and pieces of armour were dug up, Sir
Clement Spelman then making a garden there. (fn. 2)
At the general survey, it was the lordship of Roger Bigot Earl of
Norfolk, held by Alwi in the Confessor's time, when 33 villeins
belonged to it, 10 borders and 6 carucates of land. It was a mile long,
and 10 furlongs broad, and paid 12d.; when the hundred gelt was 20s.
it was always valued at 8l. (fn. 3)
The family of Narburgh took their name from the town, and were
soon after the Conquest, lords of it.
Robert de Narburgh lived in the reign of Henry II. and held the
4th part of a fee of William Baron of Wormegay. (fn. 4)
John de Narburgh, (fn. 5) with the assent of Adeliza or Alice his wife,
granted and confirmed to the monks of Castleacre his turbary here,
called Open Fen, and two acres of meadow given to them by his father
Reginald, by deed sans date; (fn. 6) about 1239,
William de Narburgh held here 1 fee and two parts of a fee, (fn. 7)
with the appurtenances of the Lord Bardolf, (fn. 8) and he of Roger Bigot
Earl of Norfolk.
Hamon de Narburgh (fn. 9) held half a fee in 1285.
Adam de Narburgh was found to have view of frankpledge, assize
of bread, &c. and weyf in this township;
And in 1304, Hamon son of Hamond de Narburgh, conveyed by
William de Narburgh a manor here, and the advowson of the
church; and in 1323, William de Narburgh was lord. In 1328, one
of the said name appears by a roll of the honour of Wirmgay, to hold
this manor, and a part of the advowson of the church, by one fee, and
two parts of a fee, suit of court, castle guard, and waytfee at Wirmegay, of the Lord Bardolph, and he of the Earl-Marshal. In 1461,
William de Narburgh died lord, and bequeathed his body to be
buried in the church of Narburgh, by his wife Alice, daughter of
Robert Clere; he appoints
William his son executor, and his brother Edmund Clere, supervisor; this William was one of those 20 gentlemen of this county, who
were returned to be gentlemen of ancient coat-armour, and were summoned to serve King Henry VI. as lances, in defence of the kingdom. (fn. 10)
His son William did not long survive him; his will was proved
10th of January, 1461, and bequeaths his body to be buried by his
wife Elizabeth in the church aforesaid. This last William left two
daughters and coheirs,
Ela, married first to Thomas Shouldham, Esq. of Shouldham, and
after to Henry Spelman, Esq. recorder of Norwich, and
Elizabeth, (fn. 11) married to John Bocking, Esq. of Langham, who
died in 1477.
Thomas Shuldham, Esq. by his wife Ela, had Thomas, his son
and heir, who by will dated in 1514, bequeaths his body to be buried
in the monastery of Pentney in Norfolk, and gave Elizabeth his wife
10l. per annum during life, out of this manor, and the 3d part of all
his manor in Marham for her dowry, to his brother John Spelman the
manor of Narburgh, with the appurtenances, the watermill, advowson of the church, &c. and to his heirs for ever, according to an agreement made before Mr. Francis Calybut, viz. paying for the same
to his sonnys, Edward, Thomas, and William, and to his daughters,
Margaret, Elizabeth, Anne, Philippa, Ela, "and to the child in my
"wyffs bely, 400 marks evenly;" he appoints his brother John Spelman, and John Fincham, executors; accordingly, in 1526, a fine was
levied of this lordship, (fn. 12) between John Spelman, then serjeant at law,
(afterwards one of the judges of the King's Bench, and a Knt.)
and Elizabeth Shouldham, conveyed to Spelman, whose heir and
John Spelman, Esq. is the present lord.
On an inquisition taken in the 24th of Henry III. the Prior of Westacre was found to hold one knight's fee, here in pure alms of the
Lord Bardolf, of the gift of the Narburghs, and in the 3d of Edward
III. the prior held the same, as appears from a roll of the honour of
Wirmegay, (fn. 13) but the services of castleguard, &c. were released by
the Lords Bardolph, and several free tenants of the Prior are named
in the said roll; on the Dissolution of the priory it came to the Spelmans, and a fee farm rent of 1l. 5s. 7d. per annum is paid for it.
In 1239, Agnes Livermere was found to hold the 3d part of a fee
of Pain Tipetot, and he of the Lord Bardolph, that Lord of the Earl
of Norfolk, and the Earl of the King in capite; in 1328, it was held
by John Drayton, son of John de Drayton, and had been held by Peirs
Rouchin and John Crane, and castle-guard, waytfee, &c. were due and
performed for it at Wirmegay. In the beginning of Henry the Fourth's
reign, it was in the hands of John Grace, with its appurtenances in
Pentney: it afterwards was possessed by the Spelmans, and on an
inquisition taken at Norwich in 1546, on the death of John Spelman,
Esq. son of Sir John, he was found to have held this lordship of the
King in capite, by the 20th part of a fee; this also is united to the other
The temporalities of Westacre priory here were taxed at 12 marks,
their spiritualities at 2l. 3s. 8d. the lete belongs to the lord of the
hundred, the lete fee is 3s.
The ancient seat of the Spelmans stands about a furlong east of
the church, and is called Narburgh-hall; it is for the most part
built of stone and brick, and has had a moat about it; it was erected
by Judge Spelman in the time of Henry VIII. and was lately sashed,
and stands very pleasantly; over the porch are the arms of Spelman
and Narburgh quarterly, impaling Froyk and Sturgeon, quarterly. In
the bow window of the hall are the said arms, and gules a cross ingrailed
in a bordure arg. Leigh. In the great parlour, azure, an eagle displayed or, Shuldham, and barry of six arg. and sab. a bend over all
ermine, Fincham; also sab. a chevron ermine between three bulla
heads arg. Saunders.
The name and family of Spelman, is of great antiquity; in the
Register of Missenden abbey in Bucks, fol. 94, William Martel gave
to that abbey 40s. rent per annum issuing out of Snapes and Aldeburgh
in Suffolk; and the land which Turstan the Frenchman held, which on
his death, he gave to his servant,
Spileman, in the time of Henry II.; and in the Pipe Rolls of the
3d of King John, under the title of Hantescire, roll 15, we find the
sheriff gives an account of 20s. of
William Spileman for his serjeanty. In the Pipe Rolls of
Henry III. title nova oblata, William Spileman gave an account
of 100s. for a fine and seizen of his father
William's land, who was lord of Brokenhurst in Hampshire; and
in Testa de Nevil, he is said to hold Brokenhurst by the service of sending a servant with an habergeon for 40 days, in England, and to find
litter for the King's bed, and hay for his palfreys, when he came to
Brokenhurst. He died about the 16th of Henry III. and left
William his son and heir, lord of Brokenhurst, who married
Maud, daughter of Sir William de Sarum, Knt. and died about 1238;
they had three sons,
1st, Peter Spelman of Brokenhurst, who died without issue in
1290, and made his two sisters his heirs; Maud, married to John de
Grymsted, and Catherine to Richard de Testwood, who carried off
Brokenhurst, and the chief part of the old estate of the family.
The third son was William Spelman, who died also in 1290.
The second son,
Sir Henry Spelman, Knt. was buried at Christ's-Church in Hampshire in 1270, and left two sons; David, his second son, by Aveline his
wife, had John Spelman, who settled lands on Isabel his wife, lying at
Attleburgh in Norfolk in 1304.
Robert Spelman, Esq. his eldest son, left
Stephen Spelman, his son, who was the first of the family that
settled at Stow by Breccles in Norfolk about 1320; he left two sons;
Robert, his youngest, had his lands at Attleburgh, and went from
thence into Suffolk about 1349, and was succeeded by Sir Anthony
Spelman, his son, in 1391, whose son and heir, Robert Spelman, Gent.
lived in St. Gregory's parish in Sudbury in 1421, and married a
John Spelman, the eldest, was the first of the family that was
lord of Bekerton manor in Stow (see vol. ii. p. 279, &c.) he always wrote himself, of Spelman's Place in Stow. After the death of
Alice his first wife, he married a second wife, named Joan, by whom
he had one daughter, married to William Kemp, and four sons; he died
in 1392; his 2d son was John, his 3d William, whose daughter and
heir married to John Aleyn of Earlham; his 4th son, Stephen, who
was alderman and sheriff of London, died without issue in 1404, and
was buried in St. Michael Queenhith, London. (Stow's Survey of
Henry Spelman of Stow, the eldest, built the old part of Bekerton-Hall, or Spelman's Place, as in vol. ii. p. 279; he was buried at
Stow in 1432, and Isabel his wife was buried by him in 1444; he had
2 sons; Robert, the youngest, was master of St. Gregory's chapel in
Sudbury, and rector of Snitterton, of whom see vol. i. p. 421.
John, the eldest, lived at Bekerton, and was in most of the commissions for the county, by the name of John Spelman of Stow, Esq.
where he was buried in 1460, as was Catharine, daughter of Thomas
Styward of Swaffham in Norfolk, his first wife, in 1432; by Maron his
second wife he had two sons, John and William, and by his first wife
two sons and two daughters; Katharine, married to William Clipesby
of Clipesby in Norfolk; he died in 1441, and is buried at Askeby; and
she remarried to Edmund Paston. Agnes, the second daughter, married to Thomas Fincham of West-Winch in Norfolk, Gent.; Robert was
the second son, and
Henry Spelman, Esq. the eldest, lord of Bekerton, after his marriage with Ela, relict of Thomas Shouldham, Esq. daughter and coheir
of William de Narburgh, came and settled here; being the first of the
family that ever settled, and had any thing to do at Narburgh; he
was lord of Carbonels in Rockland, (see vol. i. p. 478,) and had for his
second wife, Christian, daughter and coheir of Thomas Manning of
Great-Ellingham in Norfolk, (fn. 14) by Elizabeth his wife, daughter and
coheir of Sir Thomas Jenny, for whom see vol. i. p. 488; he was buried
at Narburgh by Ela his wife, and was recorder of Norwich in 1491,
(See vol. iii. p. 191, and his inscription, among the monuments in this
church.) By his second wife he had two sons; Thomas, the eldest son,
lord of Ellingham-Magna, (fn. 15) and Brecles-Parva, married Anne, daughter and coheir of John Conyers, Esq. and by her had John, who died
without issue, and Henry, who was heir to his brother and father. See
vol. i. p. 484, 8. Christopher, the second son, married Elizabeth,
daughter and heiress of Jeffry Ratcliff, as at vol. i. p. 45. By his first
wife he had three daughters; Elizabeth, married to John Goldingham,
Esq. and is buried here; Anne to Edward Mackwilliams of Stanebridge
in Essex; Catherine to Richard Sefoul of Waterden; and three sons,
1st, William, who was lord of Narburgh, Stow, &c; he married
Anne, daughter of Christopher Coe of Boxford in Suffolk, but having
no issue, his second brother,
Henry, inherited, and was lord of Rockland Tofts, but dying unmarried in 1533, (fn. 16) the whole inheritance vested in the third brother,
Sir John Spelman (fn. 17) of Narburgh, Knt. second Justice of the King's
Bench, and before that, one of the most eminent barristers of his
time; he married Elizabeth daughter and coheir of Sir Henry Frowick
or Froyk of Gunnersbury in Middlesex, by whom he had 13 sons and
7 daughters; (fn. 18) 1st, Elizabeth, married to William de Grey of Merton,
Esq. (see vol. ii. p. 304;) 2d, Dorothy, to Thomas Heydon of Baconsthorp, Esq. and afterwards to William Cobb of Sandringham, Esq.; 3d,
Ela, to George Jernegan of Somerleyton in Suffolk, Esq.; 4th, Bridget,
to Osbert Mundeford of Feltwell, Esq.; (vol. ii. p. 193, 7;) 5th, Martha, to Alexander Brockdish of Brockdish in Norfolk, Esq.; 6th, Alice,
to Francis Soame of Wantesden in Suffolk, Esq.; 7th, Anne, who died
1, of John, his eldest son, more hereafter;
2, Henry Spelman of Congham in Norfolk, Esq. (fn. 19) first married to
Anne, daughter of Sir Thomas Knevet, by whom no issue; secondly to
Frances, daughter of William Saunders of Ewell in Surrey, Esq. and
by her had,
That great antiquary and most learned knight, Sir Henry Spelman, an honour to the college where he was educated, (fn. 20) as also to the
town and county he was born in: his Glossary; History of Sacrilege;
Treatise De non Temerandis Ecclesijs, and other numerous valuable
works, will show posterity his great learning; his Icenia or History
of Norfolk, which he intended, was the first design of that kind in
relation to this county, that I have met with, and great pity it is, that
all his collections on that subject, except the fragment of that name,
published in his Posthumous Works, should be dissipated and lost; but
to rescue his person from the same fate, the author of this work hath
here inserted his likeness, taken from an original picture painted in
his own time, in honour of him who was so useful a member to his
country, and so great a promoter of the laudable study of the general
antiquities of the kingdom, and the particular ones, of this his native
county; he was sheriff of Norfolk in 1605, and died at London in
1641, (fn. 21) having married Eleanor, eldest daughter and coheir of John le
Strange of Sedgeford in Norfolk, Esq. by whom he had, Sir John
Spelman of Heydon in Norfolk, (fn. 22) who died at Oxford in 1643, and
married Anne, daughter of Sir John Townesend of Raynham.
3d, Francis Spelman, clerk, buried here in 1578.
4th, Erasmus Spelman of Beeston by Mileham, married Ursula,
daughter of Sir Edward Baynton, of the Devises in Wiltshire, relict of
Edmund Thoresby of Lyn in Norfolk.
5th, Michael, born in 1521, he lived at Whinburgh, and married
Margaret, daughter of George Duke, Esq. of Brampton in Suffolk, in
1555, and had Jane, Edmund, and Elizabeth.
6th, Jerome Spelman, buried here in 1576.
7th, William married Catherine, daughter of Cornelius von Stonhove,
a judge in Holland.
John Spelman, Esq. the eldest son, buried here in 1545; he married Margaret, daughter of Sir Thomas Bleverhasset of Frense, who
after his death remarried to John Eyre, Esq of Lyn; she was buried
here in 1558, and he in 1561, as the inscription shows.
Thomas Spelman, their eldest son, died without issue, (fn. 23) and his
John Spelman of Narburgh, Esq. inherited, buried here in 1581;
he had two wives; Judith, daughter of Sir Clement Higham of Barrow in Suffolk, buried in 1570, by whom he had Clement and William;
and Catherine, daughter of William Saunders, Esq. (fn. 24) of Ewell in
Surrey, by whom he had twin sons, and one daughter, viz. Robert, (fn. 25)
Francis, and Bridget; (fn. 26) William, the youngest son by Judith, died
without issue, but
Sir Clement, the eldest, was sheriff for the county in 1598–9; he
married for his first wife, Alice, (fn. 27) sole heir of Edmund Kervile of Wigenhale, Esq. (fn. 28) by whom he had no issue; but by his second wife,
Ursula, daughter of Sir John Willougby of Rysley in Derbyshire, he
had Clement and John, and dying in 1607 was buried here, as his
Clement, the eldest son, was recorder of Notingham, and in
commission of oier and terminer for the midland circuit, and justice of
the peace in Notingham and Norfolk, and died unmarried in 1679.
He now stands right up, enclosed in a pillar in this chancel, so that
the inscription on the pillar, is directly against his face.
John Spelman, Esq. of Narburgh, his brother, married Anne,
daughter of Sir John Heveningham, by whom he had 4 sons and 8
daughters, of which I find, Ursula married John Potts, Esq. John
their son being baptized at Narburgh in 1618; Elizabeth married
Mr. Stephen Edgar of East Bilney in 1671, and had issue; Abigail,
married Christopher Crowe of East Bilney, Esq. April 13, 1662, and
had issue; Mary married Mr. Henry Towers, of Helgeye; Catharine
married 1st to Mr. Bird, and after, about 1674, to Mr. William
Houghton, vicar of Sharnborne, &c.; he sat twice in parliament,
and died in 1662, as his inscription shows, to which I refer you,
Mundeford Spelman, Esq. his son and heir, who had three
wives; 1st, Mrs. Rushworth of Suffolk, who had no issue; 2d,
Anne, daughter of Edward Walpole of Houghton in Norfolk, knight
of the Bath, who was buried here, and had several children that died
young; 3d, Julian, daughter of Miles Branthwayt of Hethel in Norfolk, Esq. who was buried here in 1734, and he in 1723, leaving
three sons and one daughter, married to Mr. Allen of Lyn, merchant.
The 3d son, Mr. Henry Spelman, the 2d Mundeford, sometime
rector of Crostwick in Norfolk, and now vicar and rector of Narburgh,
and vicar of Narford; the eldest, is
John Spelman of Narburgh and London, Esq. who is now
lord of the town and patron of the church; and by Anne, daughter
and coheiress of Charles Le Gross, Esq. of Crostwick in Norfolk, he
John-le-Gross Spelman, his eldest son and heir, besides other
The church of Narburgh is dedicated to all the Saints, and has
a nave, a north and a south isle, and a chancel built of flint, &c. the
nave is in length about 60 feet, and about 30 in breadth, including
both the isles, (fn. 29) and is covered with reed. This nave or body is of
great antiquity, much older than the isles or chancel, as is plain from
the form of its building, and its different order or way of workmanship; the inside of it is camerated and impannelled with wainscot, the
mitres of these pannels are ornamented with shields, many of which,
through length of time, are lost and decayed, what are remaining and
could be distinguished are here blazoned, though the colours in many
are now very obscure, most of them relating to marriages in the
Shouldham, Narburgh, and Spelman families.
1, Sable, three mallets arg. Reynham. 2, Heydon of Baconsthorp.
3, Arg. a chevron sable, between three cross croslets, gul. 4, Arg.
a cross patonce, vert, Sefoule. 5, L'Strange. 6, Drury.
7, Mondford of Feltwell. 8, Sab. on a bend arg. three flowers-delis of the 1st Rungeton. 9, Arg. three water budgets gul. Ross.
10, Gul. on a chevron arg. three cross croslets fitché of the 1st,
Wilton. 11, Sab. a fess dauncetté between three mullets pierced
arg. Wesenham. 12, Clifton of Bukenham castle. 13, Arg. on
a chevron gul. three roses of the 1st, Knowles. 14, Corbet. 15, Az.
three piles wavy gul. Gernon. 16, Arg. a fess gul. between
three eagles displayed sab. Elmham. 17, Jenny. 18, Scales.
19, Arg. a cross ingrailed, gul. Inglethorp. 20, Arg. a frett sab.
surmounted with an escoteheon gul. De la River. 21, Bleverhassey. 22, Sab. a chevron ermine between three bulls heads
caboshed, Saunders. 23, Arg. two bars between two mullets in
chief pierced, and an annulet in base sable. 24, Quarterly azure and
gules a cross flory between five trefoils or, Manning. 25, Arg. a fess
between two chevrons gul. Peche. 26, Sab. a chevron between
three estoils or stars, arg. Brewster. 27, Azure a maunch or,
Conyers. 28, Arg. a fess between two chevrons sab. 29, Sab. a
chevron between three lions rampant, arg. 30, Sab. three mullets
pierced or. 31, Quarterly gul. and azure four crosses pattee arg.
32, Bouchier. 33, Beauchamp. 34, Lovel. 35, Arundel.
36, Reppes. 37, Spelman.
These arms are in Narburgh church, besides those already mentioned. This church being thus remarkable for so many shields, it may
not be improper to speak a word or two on that subject. The bearing
of arms is no doubt very ancient, some ascribe the institution of
them to Cham, others to Osyris, Hercules, &c. who painted certain
signs on their shields, bucklers, &c. which were afterwards called
arms; (fn. 30) thus Osyris is said to have born a royal sceptre, ensigned on
the summit with an eye; Hercules a lion rampant, holding a battle
axe; these marks served not only to distinguish men in the wars, but
also tribes, regiments, and particular nations and countries; the
Athenians bare an owl, the Persians an archer, the Romans an
eagle; and God (we see) approved of these armorial ensigns; for when
Moses led the children of Israel through the wilderness to the land
of promise, he commanded that every one of them should pitch by
their own standard, with the ensign of their father's house, Numbers,
Chap. X. from whence it is observable there were two marks of distinction; 1st, Standards fixed on a pole for regiments, every regiment consisting of three tribes; 2dly, Ensigns or arms appropriated
to particular tribes or families; and as all the twelve tribes were
distinguished from one another by particular standards, so it is the
opinion of the Hebrews, that they had figures on them, and according to the Chaldee Paraphrase, and Lightfoot, the standards were
distinguished from one another by their colours, as well as figures, and
each standard was of the colour of that stone in the pectoral upon which
the name of the tribe, to which it belonged, was written: the figures
on the standards of the four principal tribes are these: in that of
Judah was born a lion, in that of Ephraim an ox, in that of Reuben
the head of a man, and in that of Dan an eagle with a serpent in his
talons, which are indeed the four most perfect animals; and it is
presumed, that the Cherubims, which God ordered to be put over
the ark, had the figures of these four standards about them; and in
this manner it is, that God represents himself in Ezekiel I chap. insomuch that the prophet saw the lion, the man, the eagle, and the ox
all at once, and this is the explanation of that so difficult and so
magnificent a vision, according to some; and from hence it is probable that the four Evangelists assumed or had the same emblems
and figures ascribed to them.
Arms, in length of time, became the rewards which princes and
generals bestowed on martial men in the field, to perpetuate the memory of their valour and meritorious actions to their children and
posterity. Alexander the Great (it is said) gave, by the advice of
Aristotle, such marks of honour to his soldiers; and Charles the
Fourth bestowed on Bartholas, a learned lawyer and a skilful
statesman, this coat of armour, or, a lion rampant, his tail forked
gul. which descended to his heirs. These arms were then explacito;
but Paulus Jovius affirms, that in the reign of Frederick Barbarossa
the Emperor, who died in 1189, that is in the beginning of our King
Richard I. the bearing of arms began to be fixed; those marks
and pictures used before that time in shields, banners, and standards,
were but devices and impresses, and not hereditary to single families;
and it is observable, that in and about those days, many, who were
engaged in the Holy War, and had taken the crusade, assumed crosses,
stars, &c. to show their zeal as many families in England did, which
their descendants continue to this age. Camden, and Pierre Pithdu,
a Frenchman, observe that arms in Christendom became hereditary
and descendible, in the beginning of the reign of our Henry III. and
since that time, Kings have dispensed such marks of honour by their
heralds, who ought to be fit officers qualified by learning and experience to invent such arms, as may be most proper, for the quality
and merit of those appointed to receive them; yet always reserving
to themselves the supreme jurisdiction of judging what rewards shall
be most suitable to their deserts: another way of bearing arms, and
much practised in former times, was, when gentlemen who had served
great lords and barons, either in the wars abroad, or at home in some
honourable employments, and being enfeoft by them in lands, &c.
assumed the arms of their chiefs, only varying the colours, or making
some little additions to their charges, as may be instanced in several
families in England, and particularly in this county, in the ancient
families of Calthorps, Breccles, Thorp, Ward, Winter, Barningham,
Baldock, Beckham, Caley, Clifton, Tatshall, &c, who all bear the
field cheque in imitation of the arms of that powerful baron the
Earl Warren and Surry; also in the families of Walpole, Gerbridge, De Grey, Hemenhale, Tendring, Peche, &c. who all bear a
fess between two chevrons, in imitation of the great Lord Baynard,
and Lord Fitz-Walter; and in the families of L'Strange, Hetherset,
Sharnburn, Monthall, Bukenham, Stapleton, Morley, &c. who all
bear the lion rampant, in imitation of that great lord the Earl of
Albany. The reason why arms are so frequently seen in churches
in this manner, or in painted glass, Burton gives us in his History
of Leicestershire, p. 97: I have observed (says that author) that
they who were either lords of the manor, patrons of the church, or
benefactors thereto, or held any fees or lands of inheritance within the
parish, did usually set up their coat armour, and sometimes their pictures, (drawn as near to the life as they could,) in the windows, and
many times several coats were set up in lieu of matches, before either
impaling or quartering was in use, which were therefore set up as in
places more eminent, remarkable, and freest from injury and
On the pavement of this nave lies a marble stone thus inscribed,
Hic requiescit Nehemias Ingram, Benjamini hujus Parochiæ
Vicarij, apprimè fidelis Frater, Londini quondam Mercaturæ
navavit operam, Vir verè pius, benignus omnibus, præsertim
Pressurâ laborantibus Ano Domini 1728, Ætat. 64.
On another in the said nave,
M. S. Hoc sub Marmore Juliana, Uxor Benjamini Ingram
hujus Ecclesiæ Vicarij, Henrici Harcock de Worstead in hoc
Comitatû Generosi Filia, cujus anima plusquam devotissima,
Ergastuli hujus impatiens, nec non Angelorum anhelans consortium, Cherubini Armata pennis, in Cælum avolavit, Feb. 14 Ano
Salutis 1695, Æt. 32. Prædicti Benjamini, secunda hic requiescit Uxor charissima, priori nequaquam impar, Elizabetha,
Johannis Davy de Walton orientali Generosi Filia Ano Dom.
1728, Æt. 58. Novembris vicessimo tertio 1735, Ætatis suæ 75,
Sub hoc Marmore supradictus requiescit Ille Benjaminus.
He was a great benefactor to the charity for support of the clergymen's widows of this county.
A little higher lies a gray marble, and a plate of brass,
1593, Here lieth the body of Richarde Awsten Gentleman, who
was a good Benefactor for the Poor in the town of Narburgh.
On another gray marble adjoining,
Under this Stone lyeth buried the Body of Roger Castell of
Raveningham Esquier, who departed this Lyfe the fourth Daye
of Maye in the Yeare of our Lord God 1581, Ano Ætatis
On the head of two stalls or seats, at the east end of this isle, are
the arms of Spelman and Narburgh, and Froyk and Sturgeon;
and at the west end is a large antique font of stone, and near it 12
buckets, with the arms of Spelman on them.
The north isle, of different form and workmanship from the nave,
is not above half the length of it; this is an additional building and
not so antique as the body of this church. Isles, as may be seen from
old wills, were frequently added to the nave or body of churches by
religious devout persons, and were particular chapels or oratories
distinct from the church, and dedicated to some saint; here the
founder and his family were generally buried, and chantries were
frequently kept, and some priest or priests had annual pensions to officiate and sing mass for the souls departed of the founder and his family; sometimes they were founded by some society or fraternity of
persons, called in those days a gild, who also had their priests to
officiate in the same manner for those of their society, &c.
Near the east end of this isle, is a lofty gray marble altar monument raised against the wall, with a wall piece of the same; on this
wall-piece is the portraiture of a man and his wife on their knees, before two seats or desks engraven on a brass plate; the man has a label,
viz With the Lord there is Mercy; also the woman, viz. and with hym
is plenteous fiedemption. On a brass plate under them,
Here do I lye John Eyer, late Receyvor Generale to Elizabethe
the Quenes Majestie in the Counties of Norfolk, Suffolk, Cantabridge, and Huntynton, and one of the Maisters of her hyghe
Court of Chancerye, and Margaret his Wyfe, one of the Daughters of Sir Thomas Bleverhaiset of Frens Knight, late Wyfe of
John Spelman Esquire, Sone and Heyre apparent of Syr John
Spelman Knyght, which John Eyre dy'd the xxth Daye of May,
the Yere of our Lord MV LXI. and in the thirde Yere of the
Raing of Elizabeth by the Grace of God Quene of England,
France, and Ireland, Defender of the Faithe, and the said Margaret dy'd the xvth Day of December in the Yere of our Lord
This John Eyre, as Sir Henry Spelman observes in his History of
Sacriledge, p. 247, was a great purchaser of religious houses that were
dissolved by King Henry VIII. and bought of that King, the Friars
Carmelites, the Gray Friers, the Friars Preachers or Black Friars, and
the Augustin Friars at Lynn, &c. He was possessed also of Bury
abbey, and died without issue.
On the aforesaid wall piece, over the portraitures, are three shields,
1st Quarterly in 1st and 4th arg. on a chevron in a bordure ingrailed sab. bezant three quaterfoils arg. Eyre, in the 2d and 3d
Townsend. This is over the man, quarterly Eyre and Spelman, this is the middle escutcheon, and quarterly Eyre and
Townsend; impaling 1st, Bleverhasset, and his quarterings in
the second place Lowdham.
Sir Ralph Bleverhasset married Joan, or Jane, daughter and heir
of John Loudham, son of Sir Thomas Lowdham of Lowdham in Suffolk, which Joane died 1501. In the 3d quarter Kelweden, Jane,
daughter and heir of Sir William Kelweden of Braxsted in Essex, was
married to John Lowdham of Lowdham, father of the aforesaid Sir
Thomas Lowdham. In the fourth Orton. In the fifth Skelton,
and in the 6th and last quarter, Bleverhasset.
On the pavement near to this monument lies a marble gravestone,
and on a brass plate,
Here under lyeth buried Elizabeth Goldyngham, sometime the
Wyfe of John Goldyngham Esquire, who departed this present
World the IIII Day of February 1556, whose Sowle God
And this shield, arg. a bend wavy gul. Goldyngham impaling
In a window of this isle is the figure of St. Catharine, and in the
east window the arms of Narburgh of Narburgh, gul. a chief ermine;
the south isle is of the same length with the nave, and is covered will
lead; in the uppermost window of this isle are some remains of the
figures of the Virgin Mary and of Elizabeth, mother of St. John Baptist, and over them, in a label, Unde hoe Micht ut beniat Mater
Domini ad me. This was to represent the Virgin Mary's visitation of
Elizabeth, and the Romish church has a festival styled Our blessed
Lady's visitation of St. Elizabeth, which is fixed on the second of
July. To this isle is annexed a porch; there are two arches in the
walls of this isle facing the church, where it is probable the founders
were buried; and at the west-end of it stands a four-square tower of
flint, (fn. 31) embattled with quoins and copings of free-stone, in which hang
four bells. At the east end of the nave stands the chancel, in length
about 30 feet, and in breadth about 18, of the same materials with
the church. On the pavement of this chancel lie several marble
gravestones; near the east end are these,
Here lyeth the Body of Mundeford Spelman, Esq; Son of
John Spetman, and Anne his Wife, born August 1st, 1640, he
was a Man of a most exemplary Piety in Prayers to, and in
praising the great God of Heaven and Earth, and in relieving
the Necessities of the poor Widow and Fatherless, was his constant Employ and delight of his Life. These are the Actions
which will turn to Account on that great Day, when endless
Wealth, pompous Titles and the Noise of Victories, the Pride of
Learning will at best be but useless Things. By Julian his
Wife, Daughter of William Branthwayt of Hethbel,
Esq; he left Issue three Sons and one Daughter, he dyed the
30th of January, in the Year of our Lord 1728, in the 33d Year
of his Age.
Anna Uxor Mundefordij Spelman Armig' filia Domini
Edwardi Walpole de Houghton hujus Comitatûs Equitis Balnei,
et Susannæ unius Filiarum et Cohæredum Domini Roberti Crane
de Clifton, in Agro Suffolcienci Militis, et Baronetti, obijt 29
September Ano Domini 1691.
Near to this lies a marble ornamented with four shields of brass,
Spelman quartering Narburgh, Froyk, and Sturgeon. Spelman and
Narburgh quarterly with an impalement now obscure, these two are
on the summit. At the bottom of the stone, Spelmaa and Narburgh
quarterly, and Bleverhasset quartering Loudham, Orton, and Kelveden,
and two impalements, Braham; Sir Thomas Bleverhasset married
Margaret, daughter of John Braham of Wetheringset in Suffolk, Esq.;
the second Roydon of Roydon in Suffolk. On the said stone is the
portraiture of a man in brass and on a plate,
Here lyeth John Spelman, Esq; (Sonne and heyre Apparen
of Sur John Spelman Knyght,one of the Justices of the Pices
before the Knng to be holden, and dame Elizabeth his wyfe,
which John married Margaret oon of the Daughters to Sir
Thomas Bleverhasset Knyght, and dame Margaret hi Wyfe,
and had Jusse at the Daye of his deth, and Decessed the 27
Day of December, in the here of our Lord God MUoRLU. and
the rrbii Yeare of the Raigne of Kyng uenty the viii on whose
Sowle Jesu habe Mercy.
On another stone this epitaph on a brass plate,
Here lyeth the Body of John Spelman Esq; who first had to
wyfe judyth one of the daughters of syr Clement Uigham, Knt.
and after, katheryne the Daughter of William saunders, Esq;
who had at the Day of his drath four Sons and one Daughter
lybing, viz. Clement and William of the Body of the said Judith,
and Robert, Francys, and Bryget, of the Body of the said Kathe
ryne which John Deceased the rrvii Day of aprill, Ano Domini
Quand, Dieu, Voldra.
On the said stone is the portraiture of a man in brass, his hands in a
praying posture; crest, a wild man proper, a chaplet on his head, and
a wreath of leaves round his middle, vert; his left hand by his side; he
holds in his right hand a ragged staff, but leaves sprout from the top
of the dry wood; which makes me think it was designed as an emblem
of the Resurrection. There are three shields of brass; the 1st is Spelman and Narburgh, quarterly; the 2d Spelman and Narburgh quarterly, impaling
Quarterly, in the 1st and 4th, sab. a fess checque or and azure between three horses heads erased arg. Heigham;
In the 2d and 3d, gul. a chevron ingrailed ermine between three
doves rising or, Francis.
The third shield, Spelman and Narburgh quarterly, impaling
Sable a chevron ermine between three bulls heads caboshed, arg.
On the said pavement also lies a gray marble with the portraiture
of a man and his wife in brass, in the dress of that age, and beads by
their side, and on a brass plate,
Orate pro animab Henrici Spelmn, Legis periti et Recorda
toris Civitatis Uorvici et Ele Uroris eius, qui quidem Hencicus
obiit rriii Die septemb' An Dni M.cccclxxxxvi
Weever observes that on this stone were the arms of this Henry
Spelman and Ela his wife, daughter and heir to William de Narburgh, and of Christian, daughter and coheir of Thomas Manning,
Esq. and of Elizabeth his wife, daughter and coheir of Sir Thomas
Jenny, Knt.; but at the end of the chancel, against the south wall, is
a pedestal or pillar of stone, about 7 or 8 feet in height, and thereon
stands the statue of Clement Spelman, Esq. in his robes, as a councellour and recorder, carved out of alabaster, and in full proportion,
and on the pedestal is this inscription,
In this Place doth rest the Body of Clement Spelman, Esq; Recorder of Nottingham, and in Commission of Oier and Terminer
for the Midland Circuit, and in Commission of the Peace for
the Counties of Nottingham and Norfolk, he deceased January
30, 1679, Aged 72 Years.
The said gentleman is immured upright in the cavity of the said
At the east end of the north part of the chancel is a small arch in
the wall about 7 feet from the ground, and in it lies a demi-statue of a
lady carved out of stone, and couped at the middle, in miniature, being
but about a foot long, her head-dress seems very antique, her hands
are conjoined on her breast, holding a heart, and she rests on her
back; within the arch against the wall, is this inscription only, in
letters of gold.
And on each side of this, the arms of Narburgh.
This is a piece of great antiquity, and this lady is said to have died
in 1293, and probably the date was formerly inscribed here, for in an
old MS. of monuments, collected about the reign of Queen Elizabeth, I find it mentioned in this manner, Dna' Agatha Narborough
Near to this against the same wall is a large altar monument of
gray marble, and in a wall-piece of the same, a plate of brass, thereon
the portraitures of a man and woman on their knees before two desks,
and this label over the man,
Jesu Fili Dei, misecere mei.
Over the woman,
Salbator Munci, memento mei.
On the robes of the woman are the arms of Froyk (fn. 32) and Sturgeon quarterly. On a plate of brass above, our Saviour's resurrection is represented, and on another plate this epitaph:
Nere lycth buryed the Booys of Syre John Spelman Knyght
and Secondary Justice of the Kyngs Bench, and Dame Elizabeth
his wyfe, which had riii Sonnes and vii Danghters of there
Bodyes between them begitten, the which Syr John decessyd the
rrvi Day of February, in the Nere of our Lord Bob MURLUu, and
the said Dame Elizabeth decessyd the v day of Povemner, in the
yere of our Lord MULUJ, on whose Sowls Jesu have Mercy,
Amen. (fn. 33)
Near to this, against the same wall, is a very large altar monument
of veined marble, on which lies the statue of a woman in a recumbent
posture, and a dress agreeable to the age she lived in, resting her right
hand on a cushion, and holding in her left hand a book; behind the
woman, on a little rise or ascent, lies the statue of a man in complete
armour, resting his right hand on a cushion; these statues are of alabaster, and painted over; to this monument there is annexed a stately
lofty wall-piece of the same marble, on the summit whereof are two
arches, one on the right hand, the other on the left; in the arch on the
right hand kneels a little girl; within the arch are the arms of Spelman,
and over it Spelman quartering Narburgh, Froyk and Sturgeon. In
the arch on the left hand is a tent or pavilion, and under that, an infant male child; in that arch are the arms of Spelman, and over it
Spelman quartering Narburgh, Froyk, and Sturgeon, and impaling,
Or, on two bars gul. three waterbudgets arg. Willoughby,
Quartering in the 2d quarter, gul. a lion passant guardant arg.; and
in the 3d, sable a fess humettè ermine, between three griffins heads
erased arg. Hawe of Helgey in Norfolk, and in the fourth, Willoughby. In the opening between these arches is this inscription:
Clementi Spelman Equiti Aurato, Norfolciœ (Anno Domini
1599) Vice-Comiti, qui primò duxit Annam filiam unicam et
Hæredem Edmundi Carvill Armig' eâque sine prole defuncta,
secundò duxit Ursulam filiam alteram Johan' Willoughby de
Risley in Comitatu Derbiœ militis, susceptisq; Johanne et Clemente filijs obiit 24 die Septemb' 1607, Conjugi suo charissimo
ipsa Dna' Ursula ob merita pietatis, et concordiæ, memoriæ et
amoris Symbolum, hoc mœrens posuit Monumentum.
Over this inscription is Spelman quartering in the second quarter
Narburgh, in the 3d, Froyk, in the 4th arg. two bars wavy gul. a chief
cheque or and azure, Adrian. In the 5th, gul. two wings conjoined in a bordure argent, Pouncy. In the 6th, azure, semy of cross
croslets, and three crescents arg. Mansell. In the 7th, arg. on a
cross fleury sab. five bezants, Cornwall. In the 8th, gul. two pales
vairy arg. and az. on a chief or, a lion passant sab. Patrick. In
the 9th az. frettè gul.
The crest is a woodman holding a tree plucked up by the roots,
environed with a serpent. The whole monument is enclosed with
wooden rails and balisters.
A little lower against the said wall is a neat altar monument of
marble covered with a black marble slab, having a wall-piece of marble, ornamented with foliages, deaths heads, &c. and this inscription:
M.S. Hic requiescit eximiæ Pietatis Vir, Clero benevolus, munificus Egenis, Johannes Spelman Armiger, qui Patriæ Charus,
Regni Comitjis Senator bis interfuit, Obdormivit in Christo
Jan. 31, Ano Salutis 1662. Ætat. 56, unicam habuit Conjugem
verè Generosam, Annam, Johan' Heveningham Equitis Aurati
filiam, quæ 4 Filios et 8 Filias enixa, Jun' 12, 1649, Reliquias
deposuit mortales, dum veniente Domino resurgent Immortales.
Mundefordius filius, piè posuit.
Spelman impaling Heveningham. Crest a woodman, &c.
Mottos, Homo, Bulla. Quand, Dieu, Voldra.
In the east window of the chancel have been painted the old
Prophets; the effigies of Isaias, Elias and Jeremias are still to be
seen; and in a south window at the bottom of the pannels,
Orate pro anima Chome Malwavton Vicarii, &c.
Jemina Spelman, youngest daughter of John Spelman, Esq. and
Anne his wife, obijt May 24, 1744, aged 7 years.
Mary, their fourth daughter, obijt 1st November 1738, aged 6 years.
The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away, Blessed be the Name
of the Lord.
Spelman and Branthwayt impaled.
Julian, relict of Mundeford Spelman, Esq. obijt October 30, 1734,
Æt. 72. Whose whole Life was an exemplary Pattern of Piety and
Crest, a demi-lion rampant arg. over him, a bend sab. on which
three martlets holding a battle axe or.
Le Gros quarterly arg. and az. on a bend sab. three martlets or.
Impaling Turner, sab. a chevron er. between three fer-du-molins
or, on a chief arg. a lion passant gul.
Vivit Post Funera Virtus.
Here lieth the Body of Charles Le Gros late of Croswight,
Esq; which Family for many Generations flourished in that
Place, he left by Elizabeth his Wife, Daughter of William
Turner, Esq; two Daughters, the Eldest of which married John
Spelman, Esq; of this Place, and the other, Thomas Western of
Great Abington in the County of Cambridge, Esq; he died the
14th Day of October 1736, in the 85th Year of his Age.
OF THE RECTORY OF THE THIRD PART.
In the reign of King Edward I. the prior and convent of Westacre in Norfolk held two parts of the great tithes appropriated to
them. The 3d part or portion was then in the patronage of Adam
Bygot, and to this, there was a rector instituted; this is said not
to pay any tenths, and that the vicar payed synodals, &c. for it.
Bygot's part was valued at vi. marks, the Prior of Westacre's 2 parts at
12 marks, and the vicarage at v. marks, but was not taxed.
1322, Richard de Hasseneye. William de Narburgh.
1325, Michael de Caley, he was rector of Hilburgh, and exchanged
with Hasseney. Ditto.
1325, Henry Bacun. Ditto.
1338, John de Folesham. Ditto.
1349, Thomas or John Glover. William de Narburgh.
1355, Robert Aldhouse. (fn. 34) Sir Thomas de Brembre, Sir William
de Bergh, rector of Cantele, and Richard de Rougham.
1370, Walter Kempe. Sir William de Bergh, Richard Rand
rector of Bodeney, Richard de Holdych, and John Grace
1373, Andrew Rode, resigned. Richard Holdych, Richard
Rand, &c. and John Grace. He was also vicar of Narburgh and
1376, John Barlyng, he was also vicar of Narburgh. Richard
Rand, &c. Richard de Holdych of Dudlyngton, and John
Grace, senior, of Beecham-Wells.
1376, John Robyn. Richard Holdych, and John Grace.
1398, Thomas Dickes, resigned. William de Narburgh. First
fruits 6 marks.
1421, Thomas Bulwer, ob. Willian Narburgh, he was rector
of Bodeney, and exchanged with Dicks, and was vicar of Narburgh.
1429, Nicholas Elys. The King by lapse. Buried in the chancel.
1469, Thomas Kyppyng. Thomas Shouldham. He was a chantry
priest at Oxburgh, and there buried.
1490, Robert Brampton, in decretis baccal. Robert Bockyng.
1491, Edmund Crowe, res. Ditto.
1504, John Blake. Thomas Shouldham. He was a chantry
priest at Oxburgh, and there buried.
1514, William Starkworth or Shortwayt, chaplain. He was also
vicar of Narburgh, to which vicarage this portion was now consolidated; and on the dissolution of Westacre priory, (fn. 35) the whole came
into the King's hands, and was given to the Spelmans; and in the
reign of Queen Elizabeth, John Spelman had it, paying 4l. per annum
to the Crown; he became the impropriator of the whole rectory, and
Mundeford Spelman, Esq. about the year 1680, (fn. 36) gave unto Mr.
Carlton, then vicar of Narburgh, all his impropriated tithes of the
said parish, and settled them upon him and his successours for ever;
which impropriated tithes at an easy composition are said to be worth
60l. per annum, of which the far greatest part is paid out of the lands
of the said worthy donor, which he hath in the said parish.
Vicars of Narburgh.
1308, Hugh de Narburgh, presented by the Convent of Westacre,
and nominated by the Bishop of Norwich, as they all were to the
1309, John de Bylney.
1316, John de Wenhaxton.
1322, John de Wretham, vicar.
1330, Richard Thede.
1330, William de Lekynfeld.
John de Acre of Cokesford resigned in 1368, and was collated
by the Bishop of Norwich, to the rectory of Geywood by Lynn.
1368, John de Acre, junior.
1369, John de Barlyngs on the resignation of John de Acre, junior;
he was vicar of Lynn All-Saints, and exchanged with Acre, and
was rector of Narburgh 3d portion.
1376, Andrew Reed, on the resignation of Barlyngs; he was rector
of the 3d portion of Narburgh, and exchanged with Barlyngs.
1378, William Wardeboys, res.; he was vicar of Marham, and
exchanged with Reed.
1384, Thomas de Halwahton.
1424, Robert George, res.
1427, Nicholas Essex of Schuldham; he was vicar of Wesenham,
in Norfolk, and exchanged with George.
1428, Thomas Harlston; he was vicar of Foulden in Norfolk, and
exchanged with Essex.
1431, Stephen Paly, he was rector of Framingham Picot in Norfolk,
and exchanged with Harlston.
1449, James Denne, ob.
1481, Hugh Bateman.
1493, William Shortwhayt, ob. In his time the portion was consolidated to this vicarage.
1540, John Prior, presented by the King, and nominated by the
Bishop; he was a secular married priest, and deposed the 15th of
March 1553, by Queen Mary, for being married.
1554, Richard Harryson, ob. The Queen. Buried here 6 May
1565, Peter Becke. Ditto.
1577, Francis Goldyngham, ob. In his answer to King Jumes's
Queries, he says, there were 112 communicants in this parish. By
Christian his wife he had Christopher a son, &c. He was buried here
10th of September, 1607.
1607, Jeffrey Jackson, ob. Sir Clement Spelman.
1614, John Canham, A. M. licensed preacher, ob. Ursula Spelman, relict of Sir Clement Spelman. He was also rector of Clenchwarton in Norfolk.
1642, Hillary Baily. John Spelman, Esq.
1660, Edward Carleton. John Spelman, Esq. (fn. 37) buried 16 May
1692, Benjamin Ingram. (fn. 38) (See his inscription.) Mundeford
1736, The Rev. Mr. Mundeford Spelman, the present vicar, was
presented by John Spelman, Esq. his brother, who is the present lord
and patron, and holds it united to Narford vicarage.
This vicarage is valued in the King's Books at 9l. 10s. and pays
yearly tenths 19s. Synodals 2s. Visitatorial procurations 2s. 4d. ob.
Archdeacon's procurations 7s. 7d. ob. The portio decimarum appropriatarum in the King's Books 1l. 13s. 4d. Tenths 3s. 4d.; the whole
being undischarged, it is incapable of augmentation.
The Prior of Pentney had lands here.
At the east end of the churchyard are the foundations of a dilapidated chapel, about 30 yards distant from the chancel's end; it was
12 yards long and 8 wide; the churchyard contains 2 acres, the
vicarage-house joins to the south side of the churchyard, and hath
some glebe by it.
John Lyster of Narburgh, wills in 1416, his body to be buried in the
churchyard of Narburgh All-Saints, gives legacies to Corpus Christi
gild, and the light of St. Mary in that church.
John Bush of Narburgh, by will in 1433, gives legacies to the
gild of All-Saints, that of St. John Baptist, and of St. Andrew in this
Thomas Shuldham of Narburgh bequeaths his body to be buried
in this chancel, and appoints John Shuldham his brother his executor,
mentions his wife Ela and his father Thomas, his sons and daughters
Simon, Edmund, Margaret, and Beatrix, dated 15 January 1471. He
owned a good estate here, but no manor, and gave legacies to the
three gilds, of St. Mary, Trinity, and All-Saints.
From the Register.
"1709, Maria filia Francisci Legate, et Elizabethœ uxoris ejus
baptisata fuit 30 die Aprilis."
"Mary daughter of Francis Legate and Elizabeth his wife buried
4 May, 1709."
Huïc Mariœ à pectore ad femur usque, secunda fuit adunata filia,
mortua quidem, sed ejusmodi inter hanc et vivam communicatio, ut
hâc spirante, in illius corpoe visibilis dabatur motio: biceps fuit huic
fœtus cujus capita quatuor sustentabant humeri, totidem annexis non
tantum brachijs, sed et manibus, à pudendis etiam (quæ fuerunt
duplicia) in quatuor femora, totidemque dividebatur crura, necnon et
pedes omnino perfectos.
1549, Henry son of Timothy Blomefield, baptised,
1717, Thomas Colton of St. George's at Colgate Norwich, and
Margaret Platfoot of Pentneye, married. 1683, Mary daughter of
Francis and Mary Aires, baptized 23d of December. 1707, Mr.
John Davy, buried. Elizabeth wife of Mr. Thomas Gonvile of WestWalton, buried.