This town in Domesday Book is written ELESHAM, that is, the
village at the leas or pasture by the water, which exactly answers to
its situation; the whole town with its berewics of Scipedan, Brundal, and Crachefort or Crakeford, belonged to Guert or
Guerd, the Dane, (fn. 1) who was a great owner in this county, and at
that time the manor extended into Tatituna or Tutington; it had
6 carucates in demean, and among the several tenants and berwicks,
the whole was no less than 18 carucates; the woods here were then
large enough to maintain 400 swine, there were 20 villeins, 88 bordars or tenants, that paid poultry and other provisions, for the lords
board or table; two servants in the house, and 60 socmen or
tenants, that ploughed the lord's land, and held a carucate and half
among them; the manor was then worth with its berwicks, 12l. per
annum, and was 2 miles long and as much broad, and paid 20d. to
the geld or tax, towards every 20s. raised by the hundred; and
Crakeford hamlet was then four furlongs and an half long, and
four furlongs broad, and paid 4d. gelt towards every 20s. raised in the
hundred. The whole came to Ralf Earl of Norfolk, but on his
forfeiture, the Conqueror seized it, and Godric managed it for him;
and when the survey was taken by that prince, about the year 1086,
it appears that the manor was raised from 12 to 25, and was now
worth 29l. a year, besides 20s. as an annual fine: the parts in Tutington and Crakeford were now separated from the manor, and were first
held by William Earl Warren, of whom Humphry, nephew of Ralf,
brother of Ilger, held them; and after he forfeited them Drogo or
Drue had them, but the King claiming them from him, Warren recovered them as his ancient inheritance.
From this time the manor continued in the Crown, whole and undivided, till King Richard the First's time, and he it was that divided
it, by giving a part to Bury abbey, which was the original of Sexton's
manor here, and by granting another part off, which was the original of
Bolwick's manor; so that now there are 4 manors in this town, the
capital, or Lancaster manor, Rectory and Vicarage manor, Sexton's and Bolwick's; of all which, I shall speak separately.
Aylesham, ex parte Lancastrie, or Lancaster's.
Aylesham whole town was in the hands of Henry II. and he held it
in right of his Crown, from the Conqueror, his progenitor; and in
1156 he had assigned it to his brother William for life, for his better
support and honour, with Cawston. In 1199 Eustace de Nevile
farmed them both of King John, till 1213, and then that King
directed his writ, to the sheriff of Norfolk, to deliver possession of
Aylesham to Baldwyn de Ayre; but in 1226, the King give it to
Hubert de Burgo or Burgh Earl of Kent, and so it became
joined to Cawston and the hundreds. In 1227, the tenants pleaded,
that when King Richard I. went to the Holy Land, he conveyed
the manor for a time to Eustace de Nevile, who sold many parcels of
the demeans, to several of the tenants, who were now ordered to
produce their grants, which several did, and they were all allowed,
and those that did not, lost their land; and the same year, John le
Grey pleaded, that he held his manor of Sheringham of this manor,
by 12d. per annum paid at Lammas day, (fn. 2) and the service of one fee;
in 1296 it was in the King's hands, for Richard Cailly his bailiff distrained John Holmgey, for 4s. 11d. rent for a place called Holmecroft,
which was held by the said rent, and the service of being provost or
reeve of the King's mill, and mercate of Aylesham; and it passed
with Cawston (which see) till about 1330, and then Queen Isabel,
the King's mother, had it for life, and died seized, and then it continued in the Crown till 1371, when it was first made parcel of the
dutchy of Lancaster, by the King's giving it to his son, John of
Gaunt Duke of Lancaster, and the heirs of his body, and from
that time it became the head, or principal town of that Dutchy, (fn. 3) in
This John took his name from the town of Gaunt, where he was
born, being fourth son to King Edward III. and was created Earl of
Richmond in 1342, the revenues of which earldom he then exchanged with the King; this man was King of Castile and Leons,
Duke of Guyen, Acquitaine and Lancaster, Earl of Richmond, Derby,
Lincoln, and Leycester, and high steward of England; he had three
1. Blanch, daughter and coheir of Henry Duke of Lancaster, by
whom he had Henry, afterward King of England; 3d Phillippa,
wife to John King of Portugal; 2d, Elizabeth, married to John
Holland Duke of Excester.
His second wife was Constance, daughter and one of the coheirs,
of Peter King of Castile, by whom he had issue; Catherine,
married to Henry, son of John, King of Spaine, with the title to the
kingdoms of CASTILE and LEONS.
His third wife was, Katherine, daughter of Pain Roet, alias
Guien, King of Armes, and widow of Sir Otes Swynford, Knt. by
whom he had issue before marriage; first, John, sirnamed Beaufort,
Earl of Somerset and Marquis of Dorset; 2d, Henry Beaufort,
Bishop of Winchester and Cardinal of St. Eusebius, and Chancellor
of England; 3d, Joane Beaufort, first married to Ralf Nevile 1st
Earl of Westmorland, and after to Lord Robert Ferrers.
He died seized of the dutchy and manor, in the 22d of Rich. II.
1398, being the greatest subject of the English Crown; so great, that
"as great as John of Gaunt" then was and still remains, one of our
At his death Katerine his widow held it for life, (fn. 4) and at her
Henry Plantaginet, son and heir of John of Gaunt, inherited
it, who being crowned King by the name of Henry IV. united the
whole inheritance of Lancaster unto the Crown, since which, the
ducal title of Lancaster hath been drowned in the title of the regal
dignity. But in honour of the house of Lancaster, this King instituted the Dutchy Court; to the end, the lands belonging to the
dutchy, might in all following times be distinguished and known from
the lands of the Crown. (fn. 5)
It was after granted by the King, to Sir Thomas Erpingham, Knt.
for life, and in 1414, King Henry the Vth settled it on his feoffees,
the Archbishop of Canterbury, Richard Bishop of Norwich, Walter
Hungerford, John Phelip, Knts. Hugh Mortimer, John Woodehouse,
John Leventhorp, Esqrs. and others, together with the manors of
Wighton, Fakenham, Snetesham, Gimmingham, Tunsted, &c. and the
hundreds of north and south Erpingham, Gallowe, and Brothercross,
with many others in divers counties. In 1460, it was settled among
others on trustees, to fulfil the will of King Henry VI.; and in 1474,
Edward IV. settled it on Elizabeth his Queen for life; and from that,
to the present time, it hath belonged to the Crown, as parcel of the
Dutchy of Lancaster, of which it is now held, by the Right Hon.
John Hobart Earl of Buckinghamshire, the present lord.
This being the capital manor of the Dutchy, the Dutchy-Court
hath been always held here; and whereas the privileges belonging to
those tenants are large, it will not be amiss to speak of them here.
Upon the erection of the dutchy court, by King Henry IV. May 4,
in the 3d year of his reign, anno 1401, the Charter of the Dutchy
was confirmed by King and parliament, which sets forth, that
Edward III. granted for him, and his heirs and successours, to
John of Gaunt Duke of Aquitain and Lancaster, and Blanch his
wife, that they and the heirs of their bodies, and all their tenants of
the lands and fees, which were in the possession of Henry Earl of
Lancaster, in the sixteenth year of Edward III. anno 1341, should
be for ever free, from panage, (fn. 6) passage, (fn. 7) paage, (fn. 8) lastage, (fn. 9) stallage, (fn. 10)
tallage, (fn. 11) carriage, (fn. 12) pesage, (fn. 13) picage, (fn. 14) and ferage, (fn. 15) throughout all England,
and other places in the King's dominion; and King Rich. II.
granted to the said Duke, all Fines, forfeitures, and amerciaments, of
what kind or nature soever, of all his men and tenants in the said
lands or fees, and all estrap and wastes, whatsoever, in the said fees;
together with all forfeitures for murder and felony committed in the
said fees, or by tenants of the fees in other men's lands; and also all
the goods of felons de se, and forfeitures to the clerk of the markets, in
as ample a manner as the said King had them before this grant; and
further, the said King granted the assize of bread, wine, and beer, and
all victuals, to be under a clerk of the markets, appointed by the said
Duke, and that the King's clerks of the markets shall not enter the
fees, to exercise any jurisdiction there, and that the said Duke
should have the chattles of all fugitives and outlaws in the said fees;
the said Duke was also to have execution by his own officers, of all
writs, summons, processes, extracts and precepts, so that no sheriff,
bailiff, or other officer of the King, was to enter into the liberty, or
exercise any office or jurisdiction therein, unless in default of due execution, by the proper officers of the liberty; the said Duke was also
to have weyf, and stray, deodands, and treasure found in the liberty,
&c. and Henry IV. confirmed the whole, by consent of parliament,
and ordained for himself and heirs, that in the whole dutchy of Lancaster, all these royal franchises, privileges, and grants should for,
ever stand valid and in full force, and be executed by the proper
officers of the Dutchy; and Edward IV. in the first year of his reign,
confirmed all the liberties to the tenants of the Dutchy; as did many
of the succeeding Kings, so that there are now proper officers, as
coroners, stewards, clerks, of the markets, &c. appointed for the liberty
of the Dutchy, in the several counties it extends into.
The manors in this town, are fine certain, both for houses and
lands, and give a moiety dower, and the lands descend in gavel kind.
Had its rise out of the capital manor; it being given by King
Richard I. (fn. 16) in free alms to the monastery of St. Edmund at Bury
in Suffolk, to find four wax tapers continually burning at St Edmund's Shrine in that church, the manor being then 10l. a year;
this was confirmed by King John, to Sampson, abbot there, and was
held formerly under King Richard, before he granted it; (fn. 17) half by
William Bardolph, and half by John de Hastings; it appears that in
this King's reign, the manor-house here was called Abbot's Hall;
but the whole being soon after appropriated to the Sacristan or
Sexton of that monastery, it took the present name of Sexton's; and
it is a wonder in our law, as Sir Henry Spelman says, (fn. 18) for one manor
to be held of another, by the rod, at the will of the lord, and granted
by copy of court-roll, as the manor of Sexton's is, of the manor of
Ailsham; but military fees are often so held.
In 1296 it was found, that all the tenants of this manor were
obliged to grind at the abbot's water-mill; in 1285, the abbot of St.
Edmund had view of frankpledge, assize of bread and ale, free warren,
or liberty of game, and a ducking-stool, in this manor; which in 1428
was returned to be of 27l. value, to the sacrist of the monastery annually, but at the Dissolution it was fallen under 20l. per annum. By
the dissolution of Bury abbey, it fell into Henry the Eighth's hands,
who granted it in 1545 to Edward Wood and his heirs, to be held
in capite of the King's manor of Ailesham, by the 40th part of a
Knight's fee, and 55s. 8d. ob. rent; he left it to Robert Wood, his son
and heir, at his death in 1547, who was mayor of Norwich in 1578,
as you may see at p. 84, and from that time it hath passed as Braconash; and Thomas Wood, Esq. of Braconash is now lord. As also of
The Manor of Bolewike,
Which takes its name from Master Henry de Bolewic, who gave
name to it, also to the manor-house called Bolwick-Hall, and there
was a mill near it, heretofore called Bolewic-mill; it was first granted
from the great manor by King John, to Hugh de Boves, at a quarter
of a fee; passed then to the Bolewics, and from them to the Whitwells, and in 1261 Richard de Whitwell held it; in 1297, John
father of William of Whitwell; held this and Skeyton in 1389, Robert Salle, Knt. left his manor of Bolewicke; to Frances his wife,
for life, and then to be sold; he lived at Oxnead, and was killed by the
rebels in Richard the Second's time, (fn. 19) and at his wife's death William
de Danby, called Lord Latimer, and Thomas Trussel, his executors,
sold it. It passed through various families, (fn. 20) and was sold in 1518 by
Agnes Milton, widow, to Thomas Aleyn and his heirs, and in 1537
Henry Aleyn sold it, to Margaret Wimer, widow; and soon after it
came to the Woods. (fn. 21)
The Vicarage Manor
Doth now, and always did from the appropriation of the church,
belong to the vicar, it being then settled on the vicars for ever:
before that time it belonged to the rectory; the advowson of which
was appendant to the manor, till William Rufus, lord here, gave
to the abbey of St. Martin at Battle in Sussex, which was founded
by the Conqueror, the church of Eilesham, with the chapels of
Stivecaie, (Stifecay, or Stukecay,) with two parts of its tithes, and
Shipeden with two parts of its tithes, and Brundele in like manner,
and Banningham in like manner, and the mediety of the church
of Ingworth, and all the fee or manor that Brithric the parson of
Ailesham held, namely this manor, and the land of one socman in
Aylesham, added to this manor; (fn. 22) and Ailesham rectory afterwards became (the Bishop's consent being obtained) appropriated to
Battle abbey, which had about two 3d parts of the great tithes, and
the vicar had all the small-tithes of the whole town, and the greattithes of about a 3d part of the town, the site of the rectory-house,
and the whole manor thereto belonging, settled on him and his
successours, all which the vicars have enjoyed to this day; and further, the Bishop on settling the appropriation, reserved to himself the
nomination of all the vicars, and accordingly the Bishops always
nominated to the abbots, who presented on their nomination, to the
Dissolution; but for some time past, the dean and chapter of Canterbury have presented to the vicarage without such nomination
from the Bishop of Norwich. In 1285, Robert then vicar of Ailesham,
had the assize of bread and beer of all the tenants of his manor, and
all other liberties belonging to a manor. (fn. 23) The vicarage being then
valued at 28 marks. It now stands in the King's Books by the name of
Ailesham vicarage, and is valued at 17l. 19s. 7d. and pays first fruits,
and 1l. 15s. 11d. ob. yearly tenths, and is consequently incapable of augmentation; the Peter-pence were 19d. the visitatorial procurations are
4s. 6d. synodals 2s. 8d. archdeacon's procurations 7s. 7d. ob. In
1367, King Edward III. granted license for the vicar, to enlarge the
site of the rectory, which was then, as now, the vicarage-house, which
joins to the south side of the churchyard, and the present edifice is a
handsome new brick building, erected wholly by Mr. Jonathan
Wrench, late vicar there, father of the present vicar; the Terrier hath
5 acres of glebe.
The appropriate rectory was valued at 70 marks, and being granted
by Henry VIII. after the Dissolution, to the dean and chapter of Canterbury, and confirmed by Queen Elizabeth, it is now held by lease of
that church, and the chancel here is repaired, part by the appropriator, and part by the vicar.
Brithtric, in the time of the Conqueror.
John de Hastings was instituted in the time of John of Oxford Bishop
of Norwich, being presented by Battle abbey.
1213, William Reoinges. King John, patron of this turn, they
paid xl. yearly to the abbey, for the two third parts of the tithes.
(Tanner's Notitia, fo. 551.)
Vicars of Ailesham.
1225, Bishop Pandulf consented to the appropriation, and collated Rodfrid his nephew to the vicarage; (see vol. iii. p. 482;)
for on the settlement of the vicarage, the Bishop reserved the
nomination of the vicars to the see, and accordingly the following
vicars were nominated by the Bishops, and presented by the abbots of
1312, Richer of Aylesham, who was educated at St. Peter's College in Cambridge, to which he was a benefactor, and gave a house
to that college. (Pits, p. 47.)
1325, Master John de Burnham, who in
1328, changed it for Hopton, with Adam de Tirington.
1335, Robert de Rollesby, vicar.
1335, Master Robert de Heselarton, priest, doctor of physick, a noted
practitioner in those days; he exchanged for Eccles in
1340, with John de Lenn, (Vol. i. p. 409.)
1349, John de Thorney, alias de Dickleburgh.
1371, Master Thomas Gylmyn; he was put in by the Pope's
1398, John Bromley, res. in exchange for Blundeston, with Nicholas Stoke, who in
1418, resigned it for Burgh St. Margaret, to Master Thomas Fringe
of Great Walsingham, who in
1429, changed it for Bradwell, with Tho. Booth, who exchanged
1444, with Ralf Kemp, for East Bradenham; on Kemp's death, in
1451, Edmund Keche had it, and resigned it in exchange for
1452, to Thomas Lord Bishop of Dromer in Ireland, who exchanged it in
1461, for Marsham, with Master Nicholas Stanton, LL. B.
1484, Henry Falke, doctor in the decrees, official to the archdeacon
of Norfolk, (see vol. iii. p. 660) had it, and resigned in
1489, to Christopher Litton, who was presented by John Abbot of
Battle, at the Bishop of Norwich's nomination, as was in
1490, Master Henry Tylson, bachelor in the decrees, on Litton's
resignation; he is buried under a stone in the middle of the chancel,
with his effigies on it, and two labels of brass:
In Manus tuas Domine thas Domine commendo Spiritum meum, Redemisti me,
Reposita est hec Spes mea in Sinu meo: Credo quod Redemptor
meus bitit, et in nohissimo die de terra Surrecturus sum, et Occulis
meis bidebo Deum Salbatorem meum.
Orate pro anima Magistri Chome Tylson, in decretis Baccalarli, ac
etiam quondam istius Ecclesie Vicarii, cuius anime misereatur omnipo-
He was succeeded by Master William Bulleyn, who resigned;
1542, Richard Redman, clerk, who had a grant of the next turn of
the nomination, from Richard Nix Bishop of Norwich, gave it to
Master John Bury, that vile persecutor, whose name ought to be
branded to posterity, for an evil doer; (fn. 24) he was commissary to the
Bishop, (fn. 25) and by that power, did abundance of mischief: being a proper instrument for such a man as Bishop Nix was: (fn. 26) he resigned in
1547, to Master Thomas Whitby, S. T. B. but in
1554, The Queen presented John Bury again, he being then
LL. B. and he held it by union with Marsham. In
1574, Lancelot Thexton had it, and resigned: and in
1581, The Bishop presented William Burton in full right.
1582, The Queen presented William Burton.
1584, Moses Fowler, S. T. B. by lapse; he was succeeded by
John Furmarie, S. T. B. who was presented by Alice Norgate,
widow, by a lease from the late abbot and convent of Battle. He
is buried in the chancel under a stone, having two brass plates thus
inscribed: (fn. 27)
John Furmary Bachelor of Divinitie, in the Universitie of
Cambridge, Archdeacon of Stowe, Prebend of Walton in the
Church of Lincolne, and Vicar of the Parish Churc hof Aylisham, a learned Devine, a painful Preacher, a loveing Husband,
a kinde Father, and a charitable Neighbor, and now a blessed Citizen in Heaven, dyed the 4th of August
Margery Furmary sole Wife and Widowe to John Furmaty paynefull in hir Laboure, provident for her Charge, faithfull to hir Friends, and mercifull to her Enemies, now resteth in
the Lord, She dyed the 28th Day of October 1622, in the 74th
Yeare of her Age, not thro' the distemperature of a diseased
Body, but thro' the Violence of a murderous Hand, and hereby
Vixisti Pater Ærumnas Pietate secutus
Arseni intentata Manus tibi tertia nuper
Barboritana Lues finxit velut Arrius olim,
At Mater viduam fudit cum Sanguine vitam.
Intrabat Scelus iste Domos, et Stamina sacra
Rumpebat, cadit illa cruentæ Præda Rapinæ:
His ego progenitus quo post hæc Fata superstes
De stirpe excisa, solus relicta propago;
Cuncta regis Deus, O faxis Mihi nec mea Morte
Vita unquam careat, careat nec Mors mea Vita,
Inque tuos simul Amplexus, Vultusque Parentum
Seu Vitæ Ærumnis tenendam, seu Morte cruenta.
Vovit Deo, dicavitque Parentibus,
JOHANNES FURMARY F.
In 1610, John Hunt occurs vicar, and in
1634, John Philips.
1699, died Mr. Nathaniel Gill, vicar of Aylesham, and rector of
Burgh by Aylesham, he was ejected from both in the Rebellion, and
lost a temporal estate of 60l. per annum, had a wife and 4 children,
and being a great loyalist, was of course a great sufferer in those
times. (Walker, p. 253, 259.) After Gill,
Mr. Robert Fawcet had it.
Mr. Jonathan Wrench, who built the vicarage-house, was brother to
Sir Benjamin Wrench, M. D. of Norwich, (fn. 28) he is buried here, but some
time before his death, resigned to
The Rev. Mr. Jonathan Wrench, his son, the present vicar,
who holds it with Moulton-Magna, and was presented by the dean and
chapter of Canterbury.
The Church is dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, and had
gilds in it, held to the honour of St. Michael, St. Peter, St. Margaret,
St. John Baptist, and All-Saints; this noble pile was built by John of
Gaunt Duke of Lancaster, and is a regular building having a nave,
two isles, two transepts, a chancel, and two isles thereto adjoining; a
square tower, chimes, clock and ten bells, with a small broach or spire
on the top; there is an old charnel-house at the end of the chancel;
the porch is covered with lead, as is the whole building; the south
transept chapel is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and was fitted up new
in 1489, at the expense of Thomas Aleyn, senior, of Lyng, and other
benefactors; on the south window there remains a neat painting of the
Salutation; this window was made all new of stone and glass in 1516,
at the cost of Jone wife of Robert Bell, citizen of Norwich. In 1471,
Katherine, widow of Robert Purdy, was buried by her husband, and
gave legacies to the lamps burning before the high altar, to the light
before the holy rood, to the light burning before the image of the blessed
Virgin in her chapel, to the fraternity of St. Michael the Archangel
in the church, to Nicholas her son, a chantry priest here, and to the
light maintained by the money collected at the plowlode of Hundegate. The north transept was called St. Peter's chapel, and that
saint's Gild was kept in it, as appears from the will of William Praty,
who was buried in it in 1490; the south chancel isle was St. Thomas's
The following inscriptions may be read on several brass plates in
Orate pro animabus Richardi Moward, nuper Cibis et Vicecomi-
tis Cibitatis Norwici, et Cecelie uxoris eius, qui obiit riiio die
Jauuarii Anno Domini Mo cccco lxxxxix.
Orate pro anima Alicie Moward, que obiit biio die Mensis
Julii Anno Domini Mcccclxxxii cuius anime propicietur Deus.
Orate pro anima Margarete Noward, nuper uxoris Ricardi
Howard, ac quondam uxoris Edwardi Cutler, Maioris (fn. 29) Civitatis
Norwici, que obiit rr die Decembris Ano Dni' Mo ccccolxxxiiio
cuius anime propicietur Deus.
This Richard Howard was sheriff of Norwich in 1488, he built
the church-porch here, and R. H. remains carved on the roof, and this
over the door:
Orate pro animabus Ricardi Howard, Alicie, Margarete, et
Cecelie urorum eius, qui obiit, &c.
On his gravestone, himself and wife Cecily are represented in their
On the front of the porch, are the arms of England and France
quartered, St. George's cross, and a cross floré, and there are also two
shields with a saltier on each.
Orate pro anima Johannis Howard, qui obiit ultimo die Au.
gusti Anno Domini Mo Ho v cuius anime propicietur Deus.
Orate pro anima Ricardi Howard Junioris, qui obiit xxiio die
Octobris, Ano Dni' Mcccclxxxiii. cuius anime propicietur Deus.
Orate pro anima Margarete Herby, nuper uxoris Ricardi Merby,
cuius anime propicietur Deus Amen.
Wic iacent Robertus Farman, et Katerina uxoris eiusdem, quorum
animabus propicietur Dus Amen.
Orate Frengh, fratris Chome Frengh, quondam Hicarii
Orate pro Johannis Mamond Mcccclxxxv
Orate pro animabus Roberti Newman, et Marione uxoris sue,
quorum animabus propicietur Deus Amen.
Ye worldly greatnes that passeth here me bye
Pray for my Sowle with Charitie, I you pray
For I Robert Orwell departed, here I lye
And Marion my Myffe under thes Stones in Clay.
As we be now, so ye be, another Day
Schall lye as lowe, consumed wite dredsfull Deth.
In nomine Thesu so no nay,
Ouia ad te omnis Caro beniet
Wic iacent Robertus Potelond quondam Maior Civitatis Nor-
wici, et Margareta uxoris eius, quorum animabus propicietur
Orate pro anima Chome Mymer, quondam de Aylesham
Worsted Weaber, qui cum multis bonis suis propriis istam Eccle-
siam in Vita sua ct post Mortem charitatibe ornabit, qui obiit
iiiio die Junii Ano Christi, MVobii cuius anime propicietuc
He is represented in his winding sheet; the adorning of the church
here mentioned, still appears; the screens being beautifully painted
with saints, martyrs, and confessors, as was the roof; the remaining
inscription shows us, that this work was done in 1507, at the charge
of this Thomas Wymer, Joan and Agnes his wives, John Jannys, and
others, whose names are now lost.
Orate pro animabus Thome Wymer. Johanne et Agnetis ur.
orum eius, qui hanc partem Tohannis Jannys
buius Operis deaurari fecerunt, qui obiit Anno Dui'
Hic iacent Johannes Jannys, et Agnes uror eius, qui quidem
Johannes abiit octabo die Mensis Marcii Ano Dni' Moccccolr.
quoram animabus propicietur Deus Amen.
This John and Agnes were father and mother to Robert Jannis,
grocer, sheriff in 1509, and mayor of Norwich in 1517, and 1524;
who out of affection to the place of his birth, founded a Free-School
here, and endowed it with 10l. per annum, clear, paid from the city of
Norwich, as at p. 397, vol. iv.
He lies buried in St. George's church at Colgate in Norwich; (see
vol. iv. fo. 467;) his picture is in the Guildhall, (see vol. iv. p. 229,)
to which he was a great benefactor, and I have one of the same kind
and age in my own possession.
Of Bishop Jeggon's life and monument in this chancel, you may
see a full account in my second volume, fo. 401, [vol. iii. p. 563,] to
which I refer you.
Near the Bishop's, is a small mural monument with the arms of
Jeggon, impaling sab. a chevron between four de-lises arg.
Here lies interr'd John Jegon, Esq; second sonne to that
Reverend Father in God, John Jegon Doctor in Divinity, and
some time Bishop of this Diocese, he was not of many Years,
yet his modest Carriage and Behaviour equall'd him with the
Antientest, he was much addicted to the Enquiry of Learning
and the Arts, for which cause, he betook himself to the University,
from whence after some continuance, he passed to the Jnnes of
Court: but desirous still of more, then here colud be attain'd to;
like Elias, that he might the better mount unto Heaven, there
to contemplate on the perfection of his Creator, he laies aside his
Mantle, which is here locked up in the common Wardrobe the
Earth. 'till at the last Day he shall come to put it on againe, he
dyed the 14th of September 1631, being af Age 19 Yeares and a
half, in whose Memory his sad Mother, caused this Inscription to
See here's noe Pyramis, here is no costly Peece,
That boasts of Memphis, or all skilfull Greece,
He wrongs thy better Part, mistakes thy worth,
That thinks carv'd Statues, can set Thee forth,
False Mettals need the Artist's Help, to add
Ought to the purer Gold, would shewe him madd,
And stately Structures, in vain on Thee were spent,
Thou to thyself, art the best Monument.
The Font is neatly carved; on it are the emblems of the four Evangelists, the instruments of the passion, a crucifix, the arms of John of
Gaunt Duke of Lancaster, Lord Morley, Bourchier, St.
George, and a cross floré.
The following inscriptions are to be seen here:
Warkhouse impaling Doughty.
Sub hoc Marmore jacet Sepulta Anna Warkhouse, Roberti Doughty, Armigeri, Filia natù maxima, et Johannis
Warkhouse Generosi Uxor amantissima, quæ obijt 29° die
Januarij Anno Domini 1671.
Henry Norgate, Gent. died 7 January 1611, Nicholas Norgate
Clerk, Son of Thomas Norgate late of Aylesham, Gent. died 16
Norgate, gul. two gauntlets in saltier or.
Crest on a coronet, a wolf passant.
Lawes, or, on a chief azure, three stars of the first; these arms
were afterwards assumed by Rippingall, but were in reality the
arms of Lawes of Aylesham, grand-father to Mr. Rippingal's wife.
D. S. Sub hoc, Sepulta jacet Hanna uxor amantissmia Henrici Rippingall, Gen' quæ obiit 12mo Septemb' A. D. 1701.
Elizabeth wife of Joseph Elden of Aylesham, ob. March 12,
1724. Æt. 52. Joseph Elden, Nov. 22, 1726, Æt. 63. Thomas
Coulson, July 1. 1726. 66. Martha his Wife, Sept. 8, 1727. Æt.
76: Anne, Daughter of Thomas Wilde, Gent. and Mary his
Elizabeth Riseborow, 1698. Mary Springall her Daughter
1728, Æt. 83. Samuel Soame Senior Gent. 1726, 74. Elizabeth Wife of Thomas Soame, 1727. 24. Elizabeth Daughter of
Samuel & Mary Soame, 1724. 34. Samuel Soame their Son,
Elizabeth Wife of Simon Olyet, 1694. Prudence their Daughter 1694. Bridget Wife of Simon Olyet 1714, 53. Simon Olyet.
Thomas and William, Sons of Thomas Gournay 16 - - - -
The crest and arms of Jermy, with a crescent.
M. S. Sub hoc Marmore Sepultus jacet Gulielmus, Johannis Jermy de Bayfield Armigeri, Filius natú secundus,
Cœlebs, obijt 17° die Martij A. D. 1709. Annoque Æt. 28.
Jermy impaling Fuller, arg. three bars and a canton gul.
M. S. Sub hoc Marmore contumulatæ sunt, Maria Samuelis Fuller de Magnâ Jernemuthâ Armigeri, Filia Johannis Jermy Junioris verò de Bayfield Armigeri, Uxor, et
Maria, eorum proles unica, quarum illa, nata Martij 31, 1681.
denata est Aprilis 3, 1712. Hæc vero nata est Nov' 8 denata
Feb' 14, 1707.
Jermy, impaling Starkey.
M. S. Sub hoc Marmore sepulta jacet Maria, Gulielmi
Starkey de Pulham Clerici, Filia, Johannis Jermy Junioris,
vero de Bayfield Armigeri, Uxor, natam Oct. 8. 1690. mortuam
Aug. 17 1714, memorat hæc Tabella, brevi et ipsa interitura.
Jermy impales Chare, arg. three pickaxes sab.
M. S. Jvnæ Filiæ unicæ et Hæredis Johannis Chare, de
Wandsworth in Comitatû Surriæ Armigeri, et Johannis
Jermy de Bayfield, in Comitatû Norfolciæ Armigeri, Uxoris,
quæ obijt 2do die Octobris, A. D. 1734, et Ætatis suæ 85.
Jermy and crest impaling Chare.
Hic requiescunt Ossa et Cineres, Johannis Jermy de Bayfield, in Comitatû Norfolciæ Armigeri; Oriundi ex Johanne
Jermy Milite, ex Margareta uxore ejus, unâ Filiarum et
Cohæredum Rogeri Bigot Comitis Norfolciœ, et Comitis
Mareschalli Angliæ, Tempore Edwardi Secundi Regis Angliœ. Qui quidem Johannes Jermy de Bayfield, nupserit
Janæ Filiæ Johannis Chare de Wandsworth in Comitatû
Surriœ Armigeri, cum quâ in connubio Annos 58 feliciter Vitam
agebat, et ex quâ, hic juxta positâ, suscepit Liberos, Johannem,
Aliciam et Gulielmum, de quibus Gulielmus Parentum ad
Latera jacet, Johanne et Alicia Superstitibns, obijt 18 die
Decem. Ano Dni' 1735. Annum agens 83°.
Hic jacet Maria Jermy, nata ex Johanne et Maria uxore
ejus, Filiâ Benjamini Wrench Militis 20 Dec. 1722, denata
vero 6 Sept. 1723,
On the north side in the churchyard is an altar tomb enclosed in an
iron pallisade, having the crest and arms of Scot, a boar cooped
with an arrow pierced in at the upper part of the head, and out of the
Arg. on a fess sab. three boars heads cooped or.
Exuviæ FRANCISCI SCOTT Armigeri, jacent hìc repositæ,
Francisci Scott de Camberwell in Agro Surriensi Armigeri, et
Luciæ uxoris ejus, Filij natû maximi, Stirpe inclytâ et per antiquâ Prognati, hujusce oppidi Incolæ, Comitatûsque Irenarchœ:
Pauca ergò meminisse Illo digna sat erit: Munia Magistratûs
cauti vigilanter confecit, Leges atque Jura municipalia omnibus
indiscriminatìm administravit, Fraudem inhibens omnimodam,
parùm Abhorrens Famam, pro nihilo Pompam habens, Ostentationem omnem neglectìm et vaniloquiam præterijt, utpote, qui
Se non animo efferens, Honorem ullum haud quæreret, Operam maluit totam Reip. offerre suam, e Rebus humanis ad plures
migravit, Die Decemb' 12 Annoque Salutis 1740, Ætatis 69°.
This Francis Scott, Esq. married Katherine, Daughter and
heir of John Thompson of Burgh by Aylesham, but had no issue; he
was son of Francis Scott, Esq. of Camberwell, by Lucy only daughter
and heir of Peter Vancourt, merchant in London; who was 2d son to
Sir Peter Scott of Camberwell in Surry, Knt. by Elizabeth daughter
of Edmund Kiderminster of Langley in Bucks, Esq. Sir Peter being
son of Acton Scott, and Anne Edmunds his wife; Sir Peter died about
1622, and Acton Scott was living in 1596,
This Francis left only one brother, James Scott of London,
Gent. who is now living.
The county bridewell stands near the market-place, and hath on
it this following inscription cut in wood:
GOD. PRESERVE. OUR. SUPREM. HED. KYNG.
PRAY. FOR. THE. GOOD. PROSPERYTE. AND.
ASSTATE. OF. ROBERD. MARSHAM. AND. IONE. HIS.
WYFE. THE. WICHE. THIS. HOWSE. THEY. CAWSID.
TO. BE. MADE. TO. THE. HONOR. OF. THE. TOWNE.
BE. THIR. QWYCK. LYVES. FINES. 1543
The freé-school slands not far from the churchyard; it was first
founded by Robert Jannys, mayor of Norwich in 1517, and endowed with ten pounds a year, paid by the treasurer of the great hospital at Norwich, of which the mayor, &c. of the city are governors,
it being due quarterly, and the manor of Pakenhams in Shropham is
tied for it, (see vol. iv. p. 397,) and Archbishop Parker founded two
scholarships in Corpus Christi, commonly called Bennet College, in
Cambridge, and appropriated them to this and Windham school
(see vol. iii p. 310, 11, 12, 15, 16,) one of the scholars must be born
in Aylesham, but it is sufficient for the other to be educated at the
free-school there, and he must be sent up to the college by the nomination of the mayor and court of Norwich: the other to be admitted
by the college without any such nomination. I am informed also,
that the schoolmaster receives an annuity of 10l. out of the watermill
at Aylesham, which originally belonged to the manor; and in 1370
was granted by King Edward III. to Sir Robert Knolles, and Constance his wife, but fell to Queen Elizabeth, in 1562, by the attainder
of John Withe. (fn. 30)
In 1585, there was a great dispute about the nomination of the
schoolmaster, before Edmund Bishop of Norwich; the officers and
townsmen of Ailesham having chosen Robert Sutton, A. M.
schoolmaster, and the vicar, with the consent of the Bishop, and
John Suckling, Esq. mayor of Norwich, Sir William Heydon, Knt. &c.
William Danson, who was admitted accordingly.
The Rev. Mr. Ray, rector of Oxnede and Booton, is the present
Among the schools in Norfolk, certified to Queen Elizabeth in
1562, is this,
"A grammar school in Ailesham, being an incorporation of the
city of Norwich, erected by Jannys late citizen and alderman,
now departed, stipend of the master, ten pound."
In 1417, Nicholas Stone, chaplain, gave legacies to the lights of
Corpus Christi, the holy rood, and the Virgin Mary.
In 1443, Sir Alan Elgold was a priest here.
In 1479, John Northawe was buried in the church porch, and gave
a black velvet altar cloth, and founded a wax candle, to burn
a whole year before the image of the Virgin Mary, at the east end of
the chancel, and lights before St. John Baptist, and St. Peter's images,
and a legacy to St. Margaret's gild, and 23s. 4d. to John Green
his chaplain, to go the next jubilee year to St. James at Compostella,
and there pray for his soul.
1505, Robert Schilling was chaplain and parish priest under the
1506, John Boller, priest, was buried in St. Thomas's chapel in
this church, by his father, and ordered 30 marble stones, of the length
and breadth of those covering his father's, to cover his grave with.
He gave to the church a pair of organs, and willed that they should
serve both the quire, and Lady mass, and that they should be set in
the same key, with the great organs in the church, and the principal
pipe to be five quarters of a yard long, of good metal and sweet harmony, and shall stand on that side the choir next our Lady's chapel,
to serve both; (fn. 31) he gave legacies to the gilds of our Lady, and St.
John, at his altar in the chapel at the east.
In the White Register of Bury abbey, folio 27, are divers deeds of
benefactions to that monastery in this town, by which it appears, that
Henry son of Agnes de Ingworth, gave them a tenement here, Richard
his brother did the same, William son of Henry de Ingworth gave 7
acres, and Margery his sister 4d. per annum rent, and Alice her sister
the same, Hugh, dean of Ingworth deanery, was a benefactor and
so was William le Mey, and Robert son of Robert de Aylesham.
An agreement was made between William de Hoo, sacrist of
St. Edmund's monastery, and so lord of Sexton's manor, and Agnes
relict of William son of Bartholomew, by which she released 4s. 6d.
annual rent to the monastery.
Richard I. confirmed to God and St. Edmund, and Abbot
Sampson, and the monks at Bury, and their successours, 10l. rent in
the soke of Aylesham, (fn. 32) viz. 5l. rent and demeans, which William
Bardolph held, and other 5l. paid by John Hastinges, John the
chaplain of Ailesham, Hugh the dean of Ingworth, Peter de Calthorp,
and 26 tenants more, to find a good and sufficient light always burning
at the shrine, before the body of the blessed martyr St. Edmund.
In 1512, William Rushburgh gave a fodir of lead of 4l. value,
towards covering the cloister of Binham abbey, and founded a priest
to sing in Aylesham church, for his soul, and the souls of Sir John
Windham, and Sir Roger Townshend, Knts. and of his father and mother; and another priest in the church of St. Alban, to sing for his
own, and Sir Henry Rushburgh soules, and gave legacies to Sir William Rushburgh of St. Albans, and for a stone over his mother's
grave in St. Michael's churchyard there, he gave Coldham Hall in
Ailesham to Cecily his wife, paying 10l. per annum to John Swan,
alderman of Norwich; Sir Thomas Windham, Knt. and Roger Townshend, Esq. were supervisors.
1518, John Rushburgh, buried in the church by his father, leaving
Helen his wife, 3 sons and a daughter.
1572 Robert Baxter of Aylsham, by will dated 2d of April,
ordered his body to be buried here, and gave many charitable legacies
to Stukey, Wighton and Little Walsingham, of which under those
This town, in the time of Edward the 2d and 3d, was the chief
town in the county for the linen manufacture; in old records, nothing more common than the Ailesham webs, the fine cloth of
Ailesham, the Ailesham linens, &c. but about the time of Hen. VIII.
I find it much decreased, and the woollen manufacture had got the
upper hand; and about James the First's, time it was chiefly inhabited
by knitters, even men, women, and children, are said to be employed
at that work, which is now decayed every where, the modern invention
of weaving of stockings, breeches, waistcoats, and gloves, having
almost demolished it.
It is a neat little market town, of about 120 families; the situation
of it is on the river Bure, (fn. 33) in the most agreeable and pleasant part of
Norfolk, and it is much frequented in the summer season, by reason of
the Spaw, which is a spring about half a mile distant from the town,
the water of which tasting very strong of the mineral, is esteemed of
great service in asthmas; it is purgative, and is said to be of the vitriolick kind; and being touched with galls, or an oaken leaf, turns
very black immediately.
In James the First's time, this place is said to be governed by a
The market was on Saturday, but by authority altered to Tuesday,
and there were then two fairs allowed, the first of which is held on
the 12th of March, and the second on the second Tuesday in September. The fine certain of the manor is 2½d. an acre. It paid formerly to every tenth 11l. besides 2l. 10s. paid by the religious
for their revenues; the bridge over the Bure is reparied by the
It is valued in the King's Tax at 1427l. 2s. 6d. and pays 30s. to
every 300l. levy of the county rate.
Thomas Hudson, glover, of Aylesham, an honest laborious man,
having a wife and three children, bore a good will to the Gospel, and
having learned to read of Anthony and Thomas Norgate, greatly
profited in spiritual knowledge, about the time that Queen Mary
came to the throne; when God's service being forced to gave place
to Popish errours and superstition, he fled into Suffolk, and stayed
there a long time, but his wife and children being troubled at his absence, he returned and concealed himself about half a year, till Commissary Berry, vicar of the town, suspecting him to be at home, went
to his wife and threatened to burn her, if she would not discover where
her husband was; which when Hudson knew, he grew more bold and
zealous, spent his time in prayer, singing psalms, and godly exhortations with his neighbours; and going now publickly about, he was
taken by the constables, at the information of one Crouch, and carried
to the vicar, who examined him what the Sacrament was? he said,
worms meat; my belief is in Christ crucified. Again he asked him,
whether he belived the mass, to put away sin? he replied, no! God
forbid, it is a patched up monster. At this Berry fumed, and said he
would write to the Bishop his good lord, who, he trusted, would
handle him according to his deserts: oh! Sir, said Hudson, there is
no lord but God; which angered him again: however he asked him,
whether he would recant or no? to which Hudson replied, God forbid,
I had rather die many deaths than do so. Upon which Berry seeing
all persuasions vain, sent him bound to the Bishop, like a thief; who
kept him in prison a month, which time he spent in praying and
reading; and on the 19th of May, 1558, he was burnt at Norwich,
with two other martyrs in the same fire, as you may see in vol. iii.
See more of this in Fox's Martyrs, fo. 2036.
There are many families of note that have inhabited this town, as
The Holls or Holleys, for whom see vol. iv. p. 507.
Barker of Aylesham had a grant of
Gul. a chevron or, between three lioncels rampant arg.
I find by some notes taken in this church some years since, that the
following inscriptions are now lost:
Orate pro anima Roberti Hakyn, et Margarete uxoris eius.
Orate pro animabus Johis' de Brdeford, et uxoris
From the Parish Register.
Dorothea Jeggon, Filia Johannis Jeggon Episcopi Norvicensis,
at Dorotheæ uxoris ejus Bapt' 27 Mart. 1616.
Francis Son of Sir Charles Cornwaleis, Knt. bapt' 6 March 1619.
Katherine, 1628. Anne, 1631, Sarah, 1632, 3 Daughters of John
Neve, Gent. and Elizabeth his Wife.
William Son of William and Frances Doughty, 1646. Thomas
Doughty, Gent. buried 1612. Anne Wife of Robert Doughty buried,
Johannes, Jegon Norvicensis Episcopus, Sepultus 13 Mart'
Hamond Son of Hamond and Lucy Claxton, buried 1694, this
family was of Booton, and owned the Estate here, late Mr. Elden's,
and now Mrs. Harbord's.
Robert Son of Robert and Francis Jermy, buried 1697. and William Lawes Scoolmaster here.
Thomas Doughty 1660. Mrs. Anne Doughty, 1671. Robert
Doughty, Esq; 1679, and many more of this Family, and of the
The Vicar's Manor hath about 30 tenants, and he receives the great
tithes of that part called Stongate.
In 1306, Eustace de Kimberley was vicar here. 1312, Richer of
Aylesham resigned North Elmham for this. 1429, Thomas Boof or
Booth, vicar. 1547, Thomas Wilby, and not Whitby, was vicar.
John Hunt, S. T. B. was presented by King James I.; and in 1614,
11 August, John Hunt, S. T. B. was instituted again, at the presentation of the dean and chapter of Canterbury. "ad corroborandum
titulum, et in majorem cautelam." Thomas Paske, S. T. P. succeeded
Hunt, and at his death, in 1634, John Phillips; succeeded in 1663 by
Nathaniel Gill; and he in 1668 by Robert Fawcet; and he in 1700
by Mr. Wrench. Here was a gild of St. Mary.
Of houses in Aylesham given to Norwich city, by John Vaughan,
see vol. iii. p. 411.