Gallow and Brothercross Hundreds
Burnham Sutton

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Francis Blomefield

Pages

29-31

Citation Show another format:

'Gallow and Brothercross Hundreds: Burnham Sutton', An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 7, pp. 29-31. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=78296 Date accessed: 18 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

BURNHAM SUTTON,

So called from its site, lying south of the other towns. The manor of Virleys, held at the survey by Robert de Virli, of which see in Burnham Thorp, extended into this town.

In the reign of Henry III. Robert Crow held half a fee of the heirs of Virley, they of the heirs of Hugh Bardolf, who held of the Earl Warren, and the Earl of the King, in capite.

John de Arches and Agnes his wife, and Henry Neel, held half a fee, in the 20th of Edward III. which Richard de Walsingham, formerly was seized of, and Christian his wife.

In the 22d of Henry VIII. Sir Henry Sacheverell, Knt. conveyed by fine, to Sir John Heydon, &c. the manor of Donnellys, or Davellis, with 4 messuages, and lands in this town, Burnham Norton, Westgate, Ulp, &c.

Francis Cobbe had a præcipe, in the 7th of Elizabeth, to render to Jeff. Cobbe, the manor of Donnel; and by an inquisition taken at Fakenham, October 8th, in the 24th of the said reign, Francis Cobb, Gent. of Burnham Norton, was found to die seized of the manor of Donnells, or Danyels, held of the lordship of Burnham Thorp, in free soccage; of divers lands in Burnham Norton, Westgate, Depedale, &c. held of the manor of Polstede-hall, in free soccage; the lordship of Burton Lazars, in Burnham Sutton, &c. held in soccage; lands and tenements, Westhill's, &c. late Henry Warner's, Esq. held of the King in capite, by the 100th part of a fee.

The manor of Polstede-hall, of which see in Burnham Westgate, extended into this town; of the lords of it, see a full account there, as did the manor of Reynham, and Lexham's.

The priory of Walsingham had a lordship here, Crab-hall, which was granted on the 30th of July, in the 9th of Elizabeth, to Sir Thomas Heneage, and Ann his wife, in consideration of the manor of Legborne, with the rectory, and the site of the priory of Legborne, conveyed by them to the Queen; the fee farm rent of it was in Sir Charles Cornwallis, in 1603.

This manor of Crab-hall was afterwards in the Thurlows.

The tenths 4l.—Deduction 1l. 3s. Burnham Sutton and Ulpe lete fee to the lord of the hundred 3s.

The Church has a square tower, with one bell, dedicated to St. Albert, or Ethelbert.

In the church two stones thus inscribed;

Hier light Tomas Colmandrould.

The abbot of Ramsey was patron: the rector had a manse, in the time of Edward I. with 7 acres, valued with the portion of the prior of Walsingham, in the said church, at 10 marks; the abbot of Ramsey had also a portion, valued at one mark, and the prior of Castleacre, one, valued at 20s. and the rector paid both the pensions. The prior of Wymondham had also a portion of tithe from the demean, valued at 6s. 8d. and the abbot of Ramsey received yearly of the rector, by the name of a pension, 20s. Peter-pence 10d.

Simon Bishop of Norwich confirmed in 1265, to the prior of Castleacre, two parts of the tithes of the demeans, of Philip de Burnham, William de Grancourt, John Fitz Ralph, Hugh de Polstede, and Wil liam de Gymingham.

Rectors.

1278, John de Wethersfield occurs rector.

1305, William de Colton, by the abbot and convent of Ramsey.

1311, Walter de Forthington. Ditto.

1313, Hugh Tracy. Ditto

William Botiller.

1332, William de Barton.

1349, Adam de Leveryngton, by the King, in the vacancy of the abbey of Ramsey.

1377, Thomas Hannok, by the abbot, &c.

1383, Richard Atteston. Ditto.

1387, — de Norton. Ditto.

1398, Sim. de Bury. Ditto.

1411, Robert Metton. Ditto.

1414, John Taylor. Ditto.

1422, Thomas Fyth. Ditto.

1424, John Mey. Ditto.

1430, Ralph Fouldon. Ditto.

1449, William Luys, by the Bishop's vicar-general, a lapse.

Here were the guilds of St Albert and Erasmus.

Nicholas Steere, S. T. B. occurs rector 1603, Sir Charles Cornwallis then patron.

1729, Thomas Smithson, to St. Albert, and the medieties of St. Margaret's and All-Saints Burnham, by the King.

Edmund Nelson, in 1755, on the death of Mr. Smithson, and to the said medieties.