Called Bachesthorp; that is, a thorp, by a ba-ches, a fine winding
stream, or river; and was (as we learn from Domesday Book) a beruite to the lordship of Rudham, and placed under Brothercross hundred, a lordship of the Earl of Warren, held by Toka, in King Edward's
reign: this beruite contained one carucate of land, and three bordarers, with another carucate, two runci, three cows, &c. (fn. 1)
Castleacre Priory Manor.
The family of de Frevil was very early enfeoffed of this manor, by
the Earl Warren. Robert de Frevile, by his deed sans date, gave to
the priory a moiety of his manor of Baghestorp, both in land and in
men, except the tenement wherein William de Sarcells dwelt, &c. with
the convent of the Earl Warren, and Rainald his brother. Witnesses, Richard Capell, William de Ernevill, &c. Emma de Frivill, Maud,
her sister, &c. (fn. 2)
Ralph de Frivill, son of Robert, confirmed this gift. Witnesses,
Henry Capell, Ralph de Frivill, his nephew, Ralph de Wanci, &c.;
and by another deed, sans date, the said Ralph gave the other moiety
of this manor, with the church of of Baggthorp, to the said priory;
witnesses, Walter de Ernevill, &c.
Gerard de Canvilla confirmed the aforesaid grants of Robert and
Ralph de Frivill; and Osbert Giffard, with the consent of Isabel his
wife, granted to the monks of St. Mary of Acra, the whole village of
Baggethorpe, with the homages, &c. and the church, &c. according
to the grants of Robert and Ralph de Frivill; witnesses, Adam de
Kailli, Ralph de Baruse, Roger de Frivill, &c.
William Lupell gave Hubert de Bagthorp, and his children.
William, son of Alured de Docking, released to the prior, &c. his
right in a tenement, which Albert his uncle held of him in Baggethorp.
Witnesses, William de Bellem, Philip de Paveli, Reginald de St.
Martin, Gode, provost (prœposito) of the hundred, William de Stanhoe, &c. Asseline, daughter of Gode, gave half an acre, and half a
rood of land here.
Milo, son of William de Baggethorp, released to Robert the prior,
a tenement, with 24 acres of land here.
By a fine taken at Norwich on Sunday, next after the feast of St.
Hilary, in the 10th of King John, before William de Huntingfield,
master Eustace de Fauconberg, justices, &c. William de Newman conveyed 2° acres of land. in Bagthorpe, to Philip, the prior, &c.
In the 3d of Henry IV. the prior of Castleacre held here, and in
West Rudham, half a fee of the Earl of Arundel, in pure alms, as parcel of the honor of Castleacre; their temporalities here valued at
7l. 14s. 4d. in 1428. On the dissolution of this priory, it came to the
Crown, and King Henry VIII. on the 22d of December, in his 29th year,
granted this lordship to Thomas Howard Duke of Norfolk, to be held
by knight's service: Thomas, the prior of Castleacre, &c. had surrendered it to the King, by fine, in Michaelmas term preceding, and in
the first of Queen Elizabeth, license was granted to Thomas Duke of
Norfolk, to alien it to Nicholas Dannock, and his heirs; and Thomas
Dannock was found to die possessed of it in the 18th of that Queen,
and Michael was his son and heir
By an inquisition taken at King's Lynn, May 24, in the fourth year
of King Charles I. Thomas Goddard, Gent. was found to be lord of
this manor, December 3d, last past; and of two messuages, 140 acres
of land in east and west Rudham, held of the manor of East Rudham,
in East Rudham; and Thomas Goddard, by Mary his wife, dying before him, October 28, 1613, left by Mary his wife, daughter of William Guibon, Esq. a son and heir, Guybon Goddard, aged sixteen years,
on the death of his grandfather, and his heir, who was afterwards recorder of Lynn, and serjeant at law; and being receiver of the excise,
or taxes, for this county, in the reign of King Charles II. &c. his manor and estate here was seized for a debt to the King, and —
Billingsley possessed it under that title.
Mr. Stringer was lord and patron in 1740.
The tenths were 2l. 2s. The lete fee to the hundred was 12d.
The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Mary, and is a very
little, mean edifice, without any monument, &c and the prior of Castleacre had a portion of tithe, valued at 7s. and the patronage; the
vicar of Stoke Neyland had also one, valued at six marks. Peter-pence
The present valor is 5l. 10s. and is discharged of first fruits and tenths.
Robert de Frivilla, or Frevill, gave one moiety of this town to the
monks of Castleacre; (fn. 3) his son Ralph confirmed that grant, and gave
the church to them, with the other moiety of the town; which gifts
were confirmed by Gerard de Camvill, Osbert Giffard, and Isabel his
In 1305, Robert de Suthwalsham, presented by the prior and convent of Castleacre.
1310, Mr. Richard de Schropham. Ditto.
1311, William de Nettishirch. Ditto.
1355, Robert Jokeyn. Ditto.
1391, Ralph de Brancaster, presented by the prior, &c.
1391, John Heron. Ditto.
1400, John Pacwode, by John Hyde, &c.
1404, Thomas Philip, by Sir Hugh Burnell, Knt. Lord de Holyot
In 1603, Adam Rousthorn was rector, and certified that there were
27 communicants; John Stede, Gent. being then patron, and Nicholas Hannock, late patron.
James Smartwait succeeded Housthorn.
After Steed, Thomas Goddard, Gent. of Rudham, was patron, and
lord of the manor.
William Brown, rector, died in 1736, and
Robert Spencer succeeded, presented by John Slringer, Gent.
1762, Thomas Burslem, by Mr. Robert Barber.