Called in the grand survey, Kildincham, 2 freemen of Guerd, King
Harold's brother, had 30 acres, with half a carucate and an acre of
meadow, and on their deprivation it was in the Conqueror's possession, and valued with the manor of Gorleston in Suffolk. Stigand had
formerly the soc, and it is here expressed, that every church was valued
with the manor, which shows that the presentations were at that time
in the lords of the manors. (fn. 1)
Another part was in King Edward's reign, possessed by 12 freemen,
who had 3 carucates of land, and 9 bordarers; there were also 8 carucates, &c. 12 acres of meadow, &c., a church endowed with 30
acres of free land; nine of these freemen were under the commendaof the predecessor of Ralph de Beaufoe, in King Edward's time, one
under that of Alwin de Thetford, one, and the moiety of another, under
the abbot of Bury, and the other moiety under Stigand. In the same
town, 4 freemen had 15 acres and half a carucate; and Stigand had
the soc before the conquest: this was added to, and valued with Stigand's manor of Ereham, and was measured with Stockton. William
de Noiers was the King's steward of it at the survey
Out of these two fees, arose two lordships, with two churches; one
was granted by King Stephen, to Hugh de Bigot, on his being created
Earl of Norfolk, and to this belonged the patronage of the church of
All-Saints; Roger Earl of Norfolk, dying s. p. in the reign of Edward I. gave it to that King, and was after granted to Thomas de
Brotherton Earl of Norfolk, and came by marriage to John Lord
Segrave, and to the Mowbrays Dukes of Norfolk. This was the capital lordship, and had the patronage of the church of All-Saints, and
was that, which Stigand, Archbishop of Canterbury, was deprived of.
From the Mowbrays, it descended to the Howards Dukes of Norfolk, and being forfeited to the Crown, on the attainder of Thomas
Duke of Norfolk, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, was granted by
King James I. to Henry Howard Earl of Northampton, on June 17,
ao. 1, from whom it came to Thomas Howard Earl of Surry.
Sir Nicholas Bacon, Bart. of Redgrave, was lord and patron, and
gave it to his sixth son, Nicholas, whose descendant, Sir Edmund
Bacon, Bart. enjoyed it in 1742, as after appears in the following
The other lordship, of which Guerd was deprived, had the patronage of the church of St. Mary, and was in Geffery de Ponte, or Pount,
in the 55th of Henry III. but when granted from the Crown, does not
appear. In the said year, Geffrey granted by fine, to Roger de Ponte,
for life, the remainder to Geffery and his heirs, a messuage, 2 carucates of land, 20 acres of meadow, 50 of wood, 8 of heath, with the
advowson of St. Mary's church; and in the 3d of Edward II. Alexander, parson of St. Mary's church, settled it, in trust, on Geffrey,
son of Roger de Pount of Gillingham, and Robert his son.
In 1320, Bartholomew Bateman presented to the church, as guardian
of Christiana, daughter and heir of William de Horford; and in 1344,
Sir Bartholomew Bateman presented in his own right, as lord; and
in the 35th of Edward III. Ralph Gerberge, son of Sir Edward Gerberge, released to Sir Laurence de Bremle and his heirs, all his right
in the moieties of Martham and Gillingham, with lands in Winston,
Thomas Bateman, Esq. (a descendant of Bartholomew) of South
Elmham, in the parish of St. Mary of Flixton in Suffolk, by his will,
dated April 8, 1485, was buried in Flixton church, by Elizabeth his
wife; gives legacies to William and Richard, his sons, and to Elizabeth and Olive, his daughters; to Robert, his son and heir, his manors
of Newhall and Sandcroft, with the advowson of Sandcroft, St. George's
church, and the manor of Gelingham; and orders a tomb of freestone to be put over him. (fn. 2)
In the 28th of Henry VIII. Thomas Bateman passed it by fine, with
the advowson, to John Everard. William Everard, Gent. in the first
of Queen Elizabeth, was found to die seised of it, held of the Queen's
manor of Stockton; and Edward was his son and heir. In the manorhouse were the arms of Everard; gules, a fess, undée, between three
estoils, argent, impaling Heveningham; also impaling Appleyard; and
or, three chevronels ingrailed, gules, Chauncey of Edgecote in Northamptonshire. Sir Clement Higham, and after him, Michael Hare,
Esq. held it, ao. 44 of Elizabeth.
After this it was in the Bacons, and Sir Nicholas Bacon, Bart. was
lord in the 9th of King James I. of Redgrave in Suffolk, premier
Baronet of England, and eldest son of Sir Nicholas Bacon, lord keeper
of the great seal; this Sir Nicholas, the Baronet, married Anne,
daughter and heir of Edmund Butts, Esq. by whom he had several
sons, &c.; to Nicholas, his sixth son, he gave this lordship, who married first Anne, daughter and heir of Sir James Weston, baron of the
Exchequer, by whom he had a daughter, Anne, married to John Rous,
Esq. of Honham in Suffolk; by his 2d wife Mary, daughter of Eustace Darcy, Esq. he had Nicholas, his son and heir created a baronet,
February 7, 1661; by Mary his wife, daughter and heir of Richard
Freeston of Mendham, Esq. in Suffolk, he left Sir Edmund, his eldest
son, who died s. p. in 1684, and was succeeded by his brother Sir
Richard, who married Anne, daughter of Sir Henry Bacon, Bart. son
of Sir Butts Bacon, Bart. of Mildenhall in Suffolk, and dying s. p. in
1685, gave his estate to Sir Henry Bacon, Bart. of Heringfleet, his
wife's brother. This Sir Henry, by —, daughter of Sir John
Castleton, Bart. of Sturston, in Suffolk, was father of Sir Edmund
Sir Edmund Bacon, Bart. died October 2d, 1738, and left his only
son, Sir Edmund Bacon, Bart. who was lord and patron in 1742.
In this town were 2 churches. All-Saints was a rectory containing
two isles, and a chancel thatched, with a square tower and three bells
in the chancel was a grave-stone,
In memory of John Frebrygge, rector, who died 15xviii.
In remembrance of Margery Smith, eldest daughter of Nicholas Garneys of Redsham-Hall in Suffolk, Esq. 2d wife of Thomas Smith of
Winston-Hall in Norfolk, Esq. who died in 1656.
In the churchyard, by the south wall of the chancel, is an altar
tomb, and against the wall, on a monument,
Thomas Smith of Winston, Esq; in his humility appointed this place
for his burial, died June 6, 1639, and these arms, quarterly, in the
first and fourth, barry, wavy of eight, argent and azure, on a chief
gules, three barnacles, or, Smith;—in the 2d and 3d, argent, a chevron between three phæons, sable, on a chief of the 2d, a greyhound,
currant, of the first, Roberts. Robert Towre, buried here in 1530,
orders by will, a substantial window to be built of stone, with glass,
by his executors. (fn. 3)
In the reign of Edward I. the Earl of Norfolk was patron; the rector
had 34 acres, but no manse, and it was valued at 9 marks. Peterpence 12d. carvage 3d. ob.
In 1301, John of Royses Cross was instituted, presented by Roger
Bigod Earl of Norfolk.
1302, Barth. Cook. Ditto.
1311, Walter de Maydenstone, by Alice de Hannonia Countess of
1314, Giles de Mount. Ditto.
1316, John de Bynch. Ditto.
1326, John Reignaud, by Thomas de Brotherton Earl of Norfolk.
1333, Robert de Petra. Ditto.
1334, Robert Dagget. Ditto.
1341, Thomas de Thurleston, by Sir John de Segrave.
1342, Simon de Kirkby. Ditto.
John de Tiveteshale, rector.
1352, Robert de Twyford, by John Lord Segrave.
1352, John Suwet. Ditto.
1353, Henry de Burgh. Ditto.
In 1440, John Salmon, by the King, on the minorty of Thomas, son
of Thomas Mowbray Duke of Norfolk.
In 1440, Thomas Wright occurs rector.
In 1502, Thomas Goffe, nominated by the Bishop, presented by the
King. William Freebrygg died rector in 1518.
1548, John Cock occurs rector.
Amos Stalworthy was rector in 1603, and returned 70 communicants; and the feoffees of the late Duke of Norfolk were patrons.
John Rose, rector about 1610, and the Earl of Northampton patron;
the patronage was granted about June 17, ao. 1st of King James, to
the Earl of Northampton, &c. late Thomas Howard's Duke of Norfolk, attainted.
Sir Charles Castleton, Bart. died rector in 1745, and Robert Athow
succeeded, hac vice, by Christopher Athow, Gent.
1760, Edward Holden, to Winston and Windale, by Dame Susan
The present valor is, together with Winstan and Windale, 5l. 6s. 8d.
and is discharged; the church was demolished in 1748.
The church of St. Mary is a rectory valued, in Edward the First's
reign, at 8 marks; the rector had 40 acres of land, but no manse,
Peter-pence, 8d. ob. Carvage 3d. ob. and Jeffery de Ponte was patron.
In 1320, Brian de Orford was instituted, presented by Bartholomew
Bateman, on the minority of Christiana, daughter and heir of William
1344, Henry Lambekyn, by Sir Bartholomew Bateman.
1349, Hugh Attemyll, by Petronella, late wife of Sir Bartholomew
1361, William Amory, by John Berney.
1361, Richard de Grymeby, by Simon de Rickinghale.
In 1603, Nicholas Lost was rector, and returned 42 communicants;
and Arthur Everard, Gent. was patron.
John Rose, rector.
John Quash, died rector in 1662.
Sir Charles Castleton, Bart. died rector in 1745.
And Mr. Athow died rector in 1760, and Mr. Holden succeeded,
The present valor is 5l. 6s. 8d. and is discharged. In 1742, Sir Edmund Bacon, Bart. was patron.
The Church is a very antique building, a single pile, without any
isles; at the west end, is the font; as you proceed is a four-square
tower; then the body of the church, with the chancel, about the same
breadth with the church, and ends in a semicircle; in the tower are
three bells; the west end is tiled, and the rest covered with thatch.
As you enter the chancel, is a gravestone with a brass plate,
In memory of John Everard. Esq. who died October, 1553, and of
Dorothy his wife, daughter of John Chauncey, of Chauncey Tower, in
the town of Northampton, Esq.
Against the south wall of the chancel, is a mural monument of
Nicholaus Bacon, baronettus, prosapiâ illustris, ingenio inclytus, literis ornatus famâ clarescens, corpore vieto, animo vegeto, præmaturè senuit et sapnit. Post xlii annos et mensis IX, quos vixerat prout virum
nobilem, philosophum, Christianum decuit. Tandem fato cedens, quod
habuit terrenum, terræ reddidit igne recoctum diei novissimi, denuo resumpturus, cælitus quod erat et patri et patriæ spirituum rediit; ecce cur
marmor tanti nominis fastu gravidum tumescit, tanti viri fato frigidum
nigrescit, tanti ingenii lævore politum splendescit. Vale lector et vivas,
honore parili, obijt, m. dc. lxvi. Augi. iii.
On the monument are the arms of Bacon and Quaplode, quarterly;
Bacon, gules, on a chief, argent, two mullets, sable, with an annulet
for difference; Quaplode, barry of six, or and azure, a bend over all;
also Bacon impaling, azure, on a fess, or, three leopards faces, gules,
The tenths were 3l. Os. 4d. Deducted 14s.
Gill is an old British word, and signifies a rivulet; thus Gilling, a
town and hundred in Yorkshire; Gilcross hundred in Norfolk; Gilden
in Cambridgeshire; Guilford in Surry, &c.