The abbot of St. Bennet of Holme was lord of this manor in Edward
the Confessor's reign, and at the survey. This abbey was founded by
King Canute, and this lordship was given to it by a Saxon lady, Edgiva Swanehals, as the register of Holme says. (fn. 1)
At the survey the abbot had 2 carucates of land, 4 villains, and 4
borderers, 2 carucates in demean and one among the tenants, 4 acres
of meadow, &c. a mill, one runcus, 2 cows, &c. with 30 goats; and
49 socmen had a carucate of land with 5 carucates and 2 acres and
an half of meadow, valued in King Edward's time at 4l. at the survey
at 6l. it was 13 furlongs long, and 6 broad, and paid 16d. ob. gelt,
and the soc belonged to it. (fn. 2) .
In the 15th of King John, Thomas, son and heir of John de Thurgarton, held lands of the abbot which his father had; and in the 7th
of that King, a fine was levied between Ralph the abbot, and Eustace
Fitz John, tenant of the whole land of Thurgarton, when he released
it to the abbot, who regranted to Eustace all the land which Cecilia,
his grandmother, held of him, by 5s. rent; and in the 12th of the
said reign, Peter de Hobois paid 20 marks for seisin of lands here, and
in Antingham, claimed of the abbot, when the abbot pleaded that he
had not disseized Peter, but that the King had set over the religious
houses certain guardians or keepers: and in the 19th of that King,
Peter released all his right to the abbot.
The abbot, in the 3d of Edward I. claimed the lete, assise, &c. and
would not permit his maltsters and brewers to come before the King's
bailiff of the hundred to the view of frankpledge, &c. and signed and
marked his flagons with his own mark, &c.
In 1428, the temporalities of the abbot were valued at 17l. 7s. 6d.
per ann. and in 1535, King Henry VIII. by act of parliament, on the
dissolution of the monasteries, settled the revenues of this abbey on
the see of Norwich, and took to himself the ancient revenues of that
see; by which act this lordship of Thurgarton, called the Chamberlain's, came to be annexed to that see. In the 3d and 4th of Philip
and Mary, by the account of Thomas Rugg, then bailiff, the rent of
assise was 21l. 11s. 1d. q.— 1l. pension out of the rectory;—Lete fee
to North Erpingham hundred, 16d.—To Thurgarton rector 2s.—The
convent's manor and rents 30s.—A pension of tithes belonging to
the chamberlain, 33s. 4d.—To the penitentiary out of Honylands in
Baningham and Tuttington, 4l. 13s. 4d.—The farm of the demean
lands was 7l. of the herbage, 15s. 8d.—Farm of the site of the manor,
4 quarters, 6 bushels of barley at 3s. 4d. a quarter; perquisites of
court with fines included, 55s. 8d.—and 4l. 13s. 4d. rents, &c. belonging to the cellarer, out of lands here and in Twayte, demised to Miles
Hobart, Esq.—And the Bishop of Norwich is lord at this time.
Roger Bigot, ancestor of the Earls of Norfolk, had, at the survey,
2 borderers in this town, belonging to his manor of Hanworth, also
one freeman of Ilvingus, who held in King Edward's time, 12 acres
of land, which he always ploughed, and half a carucate, valued then
at 2s. at the survey at 5s. (fn. 3)
Roger Bigod Earl of Norfolk was lord in the 3d of Edward I. and
about this time, William, son of Robert of Felmingham, purchased
of John, son of Eustace of Thurgarton, lands here, in Sustede, &c.
In the 9th of Edward II. Richard de Walkstede, and Margaret his
wife, had in this town, Basingham, Sustede, &c. messuages, 52 acres
of land, 7 of meadow, 12 of pasture, settled on them for life, by John
In the 29th of Henry VIII. Sir Thomas Bedingfeld, Alice his wife,
and Firmin Rookwood, her son and heir, conveyed to Edmund Windham, Esq. a manor in Thurgarton.
William Windham, Esq. died lord in 1761, leaving his son and heir
The tenths were 3l. 8s. 4d.
The Church is a rectory formerly in the patronage of the abbot
of St. Bennet of Holm, who had a portion of tithes valued at 2 marks
per ann. The present valor is 9l. 6s. 8d. and is discharged of tenths,
&c. The Bishop of Norwich is patron.
Dedicated to All-Saints.
In 1316, John de Claxton held it by sequestration.
1323, Eustace de Rising, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1327, Adam de Murimouth, junior, by the abbot of Holm.
1328, Ralph de Erpingham. Ditto.
Ralph Aylmer occurs rector, 1333.
1342, Edmund de Fresingfeld, by the Pope.
1352, Ralph Urri, by the abbot.
1392, John Bridale. Ditto.
1406, Robert de Wolstan.
1407, John Merchaunt.
1421, William Snyterton.
1435, Thomas Dannard.
1438, James Burbach.
1441, Philip Lewys.
1450, Richard Wyston.
1471, Edward Wrenne.
1478, Simon Crosse.
1483, Thomas Bokenham.
1485, John Bakon.
1509, John Warmolle.
1534, Walter Roper, by the assigns of the abbot.
1556, Robert Rugge, by Sir Thomas Woodhouse.
William Dawson, rector.
1563, John Machet, by the Bishop.
1583, Henry White, by the Bishop; in 1603, he certified that there
were 104 communicants.
1617, John Taylor, by the Bishop.
1628, George Franklyn. Ditto.
1652, Thomas Hennant, by John Kendal.
1662, John Scambler, by the Bishop.
1668, Benedict Rively, by the Bishop.
1695, Thomas Geffrey, by the Bishop.
1701, Patrick St. Clair, by the Bishop.
1740, John Custance. Ditto.
In the church was the gild of St. Margaret.
In the chancel on a grave-stone,
Hic jacet sepultus in gra. et m'ia Dei D'n'us Johes. Bakon, quo'd
rector de Thurgarton, qui obt. 1509.
John Bacon of this town by his will proved May 19, 1526, requires
to be buried in the church of Thurgarton, All-Saints. (fn. 4) In the church
were the arms of St. Bennet's abbey of Holm, sable, a crosier staff, in
pale, between two crowns, or;—also gules, a boar passant, argent, in
chief a crescent, between two estoils, or.—Bacon.