This town, though very considerable in its bounds and lands, is
not mentioned in the book of Domesday, and the reason is, that there
was at that time, no independent manor or lordship, with its lands
here, held of the King; all the lands herein, belonged to, and depended on, some neighbouring lordships and towns, where they had
their site, and extended themselves into this; and were under those
lordships and towns valued and extended and accounted for.
The subject and design of that most valuable record, (Book of
Domesday) being to set forth and ascertain those lands only, which
were held in capite, and that in the proper place, where the heads of
such fees and tenures lay, and immediately appertained and belonged.
Many indeed have maintained that if a town was not to be found in that
book, it was not at that time in being; not considering and reflecting
rightly on the true subject and design of that book: this led Camden,
and after him others, to assert Roiston in Hertfordshire, not to have
a being in the time of the Conqueror, the case being the same with
that town, as with this of Tyrington, as will appear.
The town of Roiston being included under the account of the
manors and lordships of Berkwey, Tharfield, Melburn, Bassingbourn,
&c. all which extended into it, and included the whole township of
Roiston: and many instances of the same kind might be mentioned,
and often here occur.
That the town of Tyrington was in the Saxon age, long before the
Conquest, appears from a grant of Godric, brother to Ædnoth, abbot
of Ramsey, about the year 970, who gave to that abbey his lands, in
Turingtonea, on condition that Ædnoth should free it from the service
called Heregeat; (fn. 1) which was wont to be paid to the lord byfree heirs
after their father's decease, now called a Hariot.
By this it appears that the aforesaid Godric had, about a century
before the conquest, a lordship in this town of Tyrington.
Hermerus de Ferrariis, who held a manor in Tilney, and Islington, in
the Conqueror's time, was also lord of part of this town, into which
the said manor extended; (fn. 2) this came after to the Lords Bardolf, and
was a member of the honour, or barony of Wirmegay: part of this
was held by the ancient family of Terington, who assumed their name
from this town.
In the 7th of King John, a fine was levied between Ralph de Tirington, petent, and Robert de Tirington, his brother, deforciant,
of lands in Terington. In the 12th of the same King, Mr. Richard
de Tyrington, was a great favourite of that King to whom he gave an
annuity of 20 marks per ann. for his life; and in the 34th of Henry
III. John, son of Geffrey de Tirington, impleaded Adam Prudekin for
the right of a way beyond the land of Adam de Terrington. (fn. 3)
William de Tyrington, in the 49th of the said reign, had a charter
for free-warren, in his demean lands here, and in Middleton; about
the same time lived Ralph de Tirington; and in the 3d of Edward I.
Sir William de Tirington had wreck at sea, assise of beer and bread,
and the amercements of his tenants, as he had in the 52d of Henry III. (fn. 4)
Ralph de Tirrington, also, held 3 virgates of land in Tirington, of
the Bishop of Ely, paying 5s. 4d. per ann. and And. de Tirington, half
a virgate of the Bishop in Walpole, paying 47s. 5d. per ann. in Henry
the Third's reign.
In the year 1800, William Battayle, Esq. had an interest in this
manor, and was patron of the free chapel of St. James belonging to
In 1323, one of the same name, was a commissioner to view the
banks and sewers of Marshland; William Batail married, as I take it,
Ida, daughter of Sir William de Tirington, and was lord in her right.
In 1338, Thomas Howard, of Wigenhale, son of William Howard,
and Margaret his wife, daughter of William Noon, of Tilney, William
Alisaundre, Sir John Bardolf, &c. presented to the chapel.
By an inquisition taken in 1346, the heirs of Ida, late wife of William Batail, were found to hold the 3d part of a fee of the Lord
Bardolf; so that Thomas Howard, William Alisaundre, and Sir John
Bardolf married, most likely, 3 of the daughters and coheirs of William Batail and Ida his wife; and it appears that John Avenell
married Joan, and Sir Robert de Caston, married Isabell, 2 other of
the said daughters and coheirs.
Afterwards the whole right above, was in the Lovells. Thomas
Lovell of Barton Bendish, Esq. presented in 1416; by his will dated
September 10, Ao. 9, of Henry V. he gives it to his 2d son, Nicholas,
who presented in 1424,: from the Lovells it came to the Howards,
and Wentworths, being united to Howard's manor, as I shall show.
Ralph de Stretton, and his partners, held the fourth part of a fee.
Hamo de Nerford, and William, son of Herlewin, held each the
fourth part of a fee, in 1234, of the honour of Wirmegeye; on the aid
then granted at the marriage of King Henry's sister, Isabel, to the
Emperor; and in 1239, William de Kerdeston granted to William, son
of Herlewin of Tirrington, a messuage, with a carucate of land, by
fine, in this town.
William Howard purchased lands here, in Walpole and Tylney, in
the 20th of Edward I. of John de Hoyland and Sibill his wife.
In the 21st of Edward I. Peter, son of John de Spalding, (fn. 5) and
Hamon de Narborow, held the fourth part of a fee, John de Fytton,
Philip de Fenne, and their tenants the 12th part of a fee, and William
Howard, William Batail, and Robert de Caston, or Causton, the 3d part
of a fee, of the Lord Bardolf.
Messuages and lands here, were sold (by fine levied in the 27th of
that King) by John de Dulingham, to William, son of Andrew Howard,
and William Howard had lands in Terington, Walpole and Tilney,
conveyed to him, by fine, in the 33d of the said reign, from Robert
de Causton; and in the following year, William Howard was querent
in a fine, Robert de Causton and Isabel his wife, deforciants, of the
4th part of 70 messuages, 2 mills, 500 acres of land, 6 of pasture, 200
of marsh, and 40s. rent in this town, Walpole and Tilney, granted to
William, who granted to Robert and Isabel 60 acres of land, 40 pence
rent, and 2 parts of a messuage, in Terington, and Tilney, to hold to
them and their heirs: this I take to be Sir William, the judge,
ancestor of the Dukes of Norfolk.
The said William Howard, bought of John Gybon, and Lucia his
wife, the 3d part of 3 parts of the manor of Tyrington, by fine, in the
1st of Edward II. in the following year John Howard and Joan his
wife had 3 parts of a manor in Tirington, one messuage, and 2 caru
cates of land in Pentney, Assewell, Thorp, (Geyton Thorp) Walton
East, and Nareford, conveyed to them by Richard de Cornwall.
This was Sir John Howard's, (eldest son and heir of Sir William the
judge) on his marriage with the said Joan, daughter of Richard, and
sister of Richard de Cornwall; yet the said Richard had some right
still in this town, for in the 3d of the said King, Richard de Cornwall,
the father, as appears from the eschaet rolls, was found to hold with
Battayle the fourth part of a fee.
In the 20th of Edward III. John Avenell and Joan his wife, held
the fourth part of a fee, which Peter, son of John Spalding, formerly
held; and the said John and Joan, with Robert de Causton and the
heirs of Ida, late wife of William Bataile, held the 3d part of a fee of
the Lord Bardolf; and at the same time John de Tilney, and his parceners, held the 12th part of a fee of the said lord, which John de
Fitton formerly held. Peter Spalding sold his part or manor, (having
infranchised several villains) to Sir John Howard the elder.
In the 3d of Richard II. a fine was levied of the manor of Howards,
in Tirington, with that of Wigenhale, &c. between William Ufford
Earl of Suffolk, Sir John Lovell, Sir John Tudenham, Knts. &c. feoffees,
querents, and Sir Robert Howard and Margaret his wife, deforciants;
and in the 3d of Henry IV. Sir John Howard was lord, which Sir
John on his death, in 1437, left to Henry Howard his second son, by
the lady Alice, daughter of Sir William Tendring, his 2d wife, the
manor of Terrington Howard's, and East Walton, &c. whose daughter
and sole heir, Elizabeth, brought it by marriage to Henry, 2d son of
Roger Wentworth, Esq. of Nettlested in Suffolk, (who died seized of it
the 22d of Edward IV.) by whom he had Roger Wentworth of Codham, Suffolk, Knt. who died in the 33d of Henry VIII. and by Anne
his wife, daughter and heir of Humphrey Tyrell of Warley, in Essex,
(second son of Sir Thomas Tyrell, of Heron, in Essex) had Sir John
Wentworth of Codham, and Gosteld, who had livery of this manor in
the 31st of Henry VIII. and dying September 3, 1567, was buried at
Gosfield, in Essex; leaving by Anne, his wife, daughter of —
Bettenham, of Pluckley, in Kent, Esq. two daughters and coheirs,
Mary, (married to Thomas Lord Wentworth) who died without issue;
and Ann, married first to Sir Hugh Rich, son and heir to Richard,
Lord Rich; afterwards to Henry Lord Matrevers, son and heir to
Henry Fitz Alan Earl of Arundel, (fn. 6) and third to Sir William Dean, of
Deans-Hall, in Great Maplested, in Essex: this Lady Anne, then
Lady Matrevers, had livery of this lordship, about the 13th of Elizabeth, and being sole heiress to her father, had a great inheritance;
the manors of Wyston, those of Overhall, and Netherhall, in Possingford, Cavendish, Impeys, Hinktons, and Bully Hall in Clare, in
Suffolk, Gerener's in Withermondeford, &c. and in jointure, Syllingham
manor, Nortofts, in Finchingfeld, Chilterditch, Belchamp-Otto, Belchamp William, Overhall, in Gestingthorp, Hodinge, with Park-Hall
in Gosfield, Belhous-hall, and Shardelows, Codham-Hall, Toslington,
Cheyneys, Hampton, Wychards, Woodmancote, cum Northwood, Nutbeams, Wolbeding, Nicholls, in Schaldeford, and Gorings, all in Essex.
In the 11th of Elizabeth, this manor was conveyed to her husband,
Sir William Dean, with the manor of East Walton, by fine, but this
had no effect, for in the 19th of Elizabeth, by indenture, dated April
24, she demised to Jerome Bettenham, and James Walton, the manor
of Tyrington Howard's, in Tyrington, and that of East Walton, and
that of St. John's in Norfolk; (fn. 7) those of Overhall, Netherhall, Howton,
Impey, and Bulley-Hall, in Posling ford, Hindon, Stansfield, Candish,
and Clare, in Suffolk, for 200 years, next after the death of the said
Lady Matrevers, who was buried at Gosfield, in Essex, January 10,
By an inquisition taken (post mortem) January 14, in the 7th of
Charles I. at Ipswich, it was found that Sir Edward Villiers, Knt.
died seized of the manor of Terrington Howard's, Overhall, and Netherhall, in Poslingford; the manors of Impeys and Bully Hall, &c.
in Suffolk, and that by Barbara his wife, daughter of Sir John St.
John, he had a son and heir, William Villiers, aged 20, in 1625; the
will of Sir Edward bears date August 3, 1625, but he died February 2,
After this it came to the Hovels, and so to Fowlkes.
In 1653, Martin Fowlks, Esq. was lord of Tyrington Howard's, &c.
see in Hillington.
William Folkes, Esq. the present lord.
Ralph de Stretton, (who in 1234, with his parceners, as is observed
before, held the fourth part of a fee in this town) had heirs of the
same name, who inherited it.
Sir Godfrey de Stratton, the last, had a daughter and heir Alice,
who married Roger Cavendish, whose daughter and coheir, Margaret,
married 1st to — Leveney, after to Thomas Barsham: his
daughter and heir Catherine, by William Southcote, of Battlebridge,
in Surry, Esq. had a daughter and heir Elizabeth, married first to
Richard Langham, and after to Richard Weldon: this Elizabeth
Weldon, widow, by a letter of attorney dated February 19, in the
15th of Edward IV. empowers Thomas St. John, Esq. to enter into all
lands in Tirrington, and Feltwell, Norfolk, and in Assington in Suffolk.
Dunton's alias Marshall's Manor, and Monk's.
Hugh de Duntone was lord in Henry the Third's time.
In the 12th of Edward I. Hugh, son of Alan de Dunton, had
lands conveyed to him by fine, which he purchased of Thomas Picot
of this town, and Agnes his wife; and in the said year, Walter, son of
Adam, of Tirington, sold lands to him here.
William, son of John Le Moyne, or Monk, held here with his tenants the 12th part of a fee, in the 21st of the said reign as he did in
Henry the Third's time, of the Lord Bardolf.
In the 14th of Edward II. a fine was levied between William de
Dunton and Alice his wife, and Master John Howard, of lands conveyed to William and Alice; and in the 17th of the said King,
another was levied wherein lands here were conveyed to Geffrey Le
Mareshall of Tirington, from Thomas le Grey, of the same town, and
Alice his wife. Walter Marschall was witness to a deed of Sir Henry
Walpole, in the time of Henry III.
William Monk was found (as appears from the eschaet rolls) in the
3d of Edward III. to hold a manor called Terington Monks, by the
fourth part of a fee, of the Lord Bardolf.
In the 16th of the said King, there was a pleading between Peter
Fawks, and Robert, son of William Moncks, for a messuage, 55 acres
of land, and 200 of marsh, in this town and Tilney; which Peter
proved to be conveyed by Will. Moncks, father of Robert, to Robert,
father of Peter; and in the 20th of the same King, Adam de Walsham, and his parceners, were found to hold the 12th part of a fee of the
Lord Bardolf, which Will. son of John Monk and his tenants formerly
held: Sir William de Dunton was then a commissioner of the banks, &c.
John Dunton was, in 25th of that reign, by an inquisition post
mortem, found to hold lands here, in North Clenchwarton, and North
Lynn; and another John Dunton was found to die possessed of the
same, in the 43d of the aforesaid King.
In the 1st of Richard II John Marshall, of Terington, &c. conveyed lands in Tydde St. Mary, to John Noon, of Tilney, and Margaret his wife; his seal was quarterly, in the 1st and 4th - - - - - - - - -,
in the 2d and 3d a mullet; and Laurence Trusbut, John Kervil, &c.
Walter Noon, clerk, confirmed to Walter Trayt and Katharine, his
wife, for the life of Katharine, an annuity of 5 marks, issuing out of
6 messuages, 130 acres of land, 20 of meadow, 40 of marsh, pasture
for 300 sheep, 40s. rent, and the rent of one quarter of salt, in this
town, formerly, belonging to John Marchall;—witnesses, Sir John de
Ingaldesthorp, Sir Henry de Rocheford, Robert Kervil, Walter Godard,
Richard Blowere, Steph. Gyboun, Symon Calwe, and Walter Balding;
dated at Tyrington, in the 11th of Henry IV.
In the 5th of Henry VI. Thomas Beaufort Duke of Exeter had the
4th part of a fee in this town, held by Sir John Howard, the 8th part
of a fee held by Sir Philip Braunch, and the 8th part of one, held by
William Marchale, as parcel of the honour of Wirmegay, as appears
from the eschaet rolls, and John Earl of Somerset was his son, aged
By an inquisition taken post mortem, in the 9th of Elizabeth, Henry
Repps, Esq. was found to have held the manor of Dunton's alias
Marshale's in this town, of that Queen, as of the honour of Wirmegay,
by the 8th part of a fee; a messuage and 33 acres of land, (in
Walpole) with 12 of pasture, of Sir John Wenteworth, of his manor in
Terington, by fealty, and paying 6s. per ann.
In 1233, Thomas, son of Godard, held the third part of a fee in
Middleton, of the Lord Bardolf, and lands here, and a fine was levied
in the 31st of Edward III. of lands conveyed by William Alysander
and Margaret his wife, to Nicholas Godard; as William Howard, of
Wigenhale, and Elizabeth his wife, did to Nicholas and Walter Godard,
in the 3d of Richard II.
About this time Walter Godard was lord of Denver's, in Walpole, as
may be there seen, by the marriage of the heiress of that family.
Robert Godard, Esq. was living in the 12th of Henry VI. son and
heir of Walter, and held a lordship here and in Walpole of Joan,
abbess of Elnestow in Bedfordshire, and was buried in Tirington
church, in 1448.
After this William Godard, Esq. a judge of the King's Bench, had
an interest herein, and Catharine his wife, who died in 1464; and in
the 12th of Edward IV. John Well, of Wisbeach, and Agnes his wife,
daughter and heir of John Godard, conveyed lands to Henry Balding,
Esq. and Gregory Gybbon, of West Lynn, Esq.
Bishop of Ely's Manor.
This was the principal manor of this town, and belonged to the
Bishop's great lordships of West Walton, (fn. 8) Wisbech, &c. which extended
into this town.
In the 31st of Henry III. a fine was levied between Hugh Bishop
of Ely, petent, and John, son of Wace, deforciant, of customs and
services, which the Bishop demanded for the free tenement, held of
the Bishop, in Tirington, with 45 acres, for which he was to pay 20s.
sterling yearly, granted to him by the Bishop, on the payment of
15s. 4d. per ann. saving to the Bishop the general aid, when it was to
be levied through the bishoprick, upon his freemen, by the King's
In the 35th of that King, the Bishop had a grant of free warren in
all his demean lands here.
In his 52d year, a fine was levied between Walter de Hemenhale and
Hugh Bishop, wherein Walter released all his right in this manor and
advowson, to the Bishop and his successours; except 40 acres of
land, 40s. rent, 10 acres of meadow, 20 of marsh, and 10 of pasture.
About this time Ralph de Tirington held 3 virgates (fn. 9) of land of the
Bishop of Ely, in Liverington, paying 5s. 4d. per ann. and Andrew
de Tirington half a virgate, in Walpole, paying 17s. 10d.
In the 5th of this King there was an extent made of this manor, as
appears from the register of the Bishop of Ely, in the Cottonian
library, (fn. 10) now in the Museum; the jury present it to be in the liberty
of that Bishop in Marshland, that his bailiff might hold pleas of all
that the sheriff might, with writ and without, assise of bread and beer,
and amercements of his tenants, wreck at sea, the patronage of the
church of Tyrington, and of the chapel of St. John's, towards the
marsh, with all the tithes, except two parts of the tithe of the land of
William, son of William here; and the fee of Sir William Bardolf,
called knight's-land; the demeans of the manor consisted of 497 acres
1 rood and a half, by the lesser hundred, and the perch of 7 feet,
which might be ploughed with 6 oxen, and 6 scotts to harrow, and
carry the corn and dung; the meadows were 269 acres and half a
rood, fresh pasture 46 acres, 3 roods and a half, salt pasture 1210
acres, all held by severalty.
The towns of Tyrington, Tylney, Walpole, Walton, and the soke of
Walsokene, were to common and dig turfs, &c. in the marsh, called
West Fen, but none could sell, or give any turfs away without leave
of all the lords, having common within the boundary thereof, being 3
miles long, and 2 and a half broad; &c. the stock was 12 cows, one
bull, 6 hogs, one boar, and 1400 sheep, by the greater hundred, 2
windmills: the free tenants are there named, and one of them had a
salt pit, or work, called Collwayneshill, paying 10 bleds (fn. 11) of salt: the
Bishop ought to have 2 parts of wreck at sea, and royal fishes, and
the prior of Lewes one part, the finder to have 4d. the Bishop and
prior to pay all charges, &c.
In an account of the Bishop of Ely's revenue here, in the 3d and
4th of Philip and Mary, (Edmund Pierpont, receiver) it amounted to
173l. 7s. ob. q. per ann.
It remained in the see of Ely till the death of Dr. Cox, in 1581,
when it came to the Crown by an act of Parliament made in the 4th
of Elizabeth, which empowered her to grant and convey the impropriate tithes, glebe lands, &c. of rectories, (lodged in the Crown on
the dissolution of religious houses) to several episcopal sees; and for
her to take into the right of the Crown, (on the vacancy of any see)
any part of the honours, castles, manors, lands, &c. of the said sees;
as should amount to the yearly value of such rectories impropriate,
to be settled on them for ever; and thus this goodly manor, with
many other belonging to the see of Ely, came to the Crown, on the
death of Bishop Cox aforesaid.
In 1590, Thomas and Richard Ladd, alias Baker, farmed it of Queen
Elizabeth: Richard had a lease from Bishop Thirlby, dated April
20, in the first of her reign, of the site of the manor of Terington,
with all the houses, barns, &c. also certain customary rents, called
bond-days works, with certain lands thereto belonging, but the advowsons of the churches, wards, and many lands were excepted; and
the Queen, in the 17th of March, in her 27th year, renewed the same.
King James I. granted this manor, with all its appertenances, to
his eldest son Henry, and after to Charles Prince of Wales. In the
21st of that King, the receiver accounted for 175l. 12s. 3d. q. for rent
of the said manor lands, 10l. 12s. 9d. ob. q. perquisites of court, in
fines of land only; and for moneys due to the Prince from the customary tenants at the Prince's first coming to this manor, and then paid
11l. 13s. 4d. in the whole 197l. 18s. 5d.
After this it was assigned to Queen Catherine, consort of King
Charles II. as part of her dowry, and was farmed by Sir James Chapman Fuller, Baronet; and in the year 1696, was granted to William
Bentink Earl of Portland, by King William III.
Count Bentink, a younger son of this family, who lives in Holland,
is lord of it, and of the greatest part of this town.
The priory of Ely had also lands here in 1428, held of the Bishop's
fee, valued with their rent in salt, then at 50s. per ann.
Prior of Lewes's Manor.
This was part of the said Prior's manor of West-Walton, and extended
into this town, to which the reader is referred. The temporalities of
the priory in 1428, were valued at 12l. 3s. 2d. ob.
And in the 5th of Edward III. Sir John Howard was found to hold
part of this fee of the prior, as appears from the escheat rolls.
Walter Tirington LL.D. was a celebrated writer and author, and
born in this town, as was John Colton, first master of Gonvile-Hall
in Cambridge, and preferred to the primary of Ireland, by King Henry IV. Archbishop of Armagh in Ireland. (fn. 12)
Simon Bishop of Norwich confirmed in 1262, to the monks of Castleacre, two parts of the tithes of the demeans of William Alwin, held
by him of the Lord Bardolf. This was the portion that priory held
here, valued at 30s. per ann. in 1428.
In the 6th of Edward II. Jeffrey Sutton aliened to the priory of
Westacre, 60 acres of land here, and in Tilney, Wigenhale, &c.
John Wigenhale aliened in the 7th of the said King, to the said
priory, a messuage and 60 acres of land, and 12 of pasture here, in
Tilney and Wigenhale.
There were certain rents of salt here payable by divers persons who
held of the fee of Sir William de Tirington, to the prioress of St. Cross
of Bungey, viz. of Walter, son of — de Marham, for one messuage; 3 acres and a half in his croft, 2 combs of salt, &c. as appears from a roll of the prioress of St. Crosse of Bungey, sans date,
amongst the evidences of the Duke of Norfolk.
It may be observed that few towns in this hundred, lying near the
Ouse, &c. were without salt-pits, or salt-works, at the conquest and
In the 3d and 4th of Philip and Mary, Thomas Walbot held a close
of pasture (given to find a lamp burning for ever in this church) of
the manor of East-Greenwich, by knight's service.
This was an ancient family; Sir Robert de Causton purchased lands
here of Adam Walbode and Julian his wife, in the 21st of Edward III.
Queen Elizabeth, in her 27th year, demised to Thomas Sydney,
Gent. 5 acres of land called Bower's Hill in Terrington, with 4 acres
and 3 roods called Cobbeshill, and Tookeshill, for 21 years, paying
22s. 6d. per ann. dated July 3, probably belonging to the Bishop of
The tenths were 14l. 14s. 1d.
The Church of Tyrington is dedicated to St. Clement, and is a
very beautiful, large, and noble building of free-stone, in the form of
a cathedral church. On the battlements of the south isle of this
church are these shields carved on the stone-work, gules, an eagle displayed, or, Godard; quarterly, or and gules, in the first quarter, an
annulet in a bordure, sable, bezanty, Rochford; gules, three dexter
gauntlets, pendent, argent, one surmounted by a canton, checque, or
and azure, Denver; gules, a bend between six crosslets, fitché, argent,
Howard; sable, a chevron, between three crosses, patonce, or, Fordham
Bishop of Ely, in whose time this church seems to be built; a fess
ingrailed between three roses, or cinquefoils; gules, a fess, between
six cross crosslets, or, Beauchamp; azure, three cinquefoils, or, Bardolf; three escallops, — on a chevron, three lis, - - - - -, —;
benefactors no doubt to this building.
At the west end of the nave is an altar monument;
Sub hoc marmore dormiunt Johs. Henson, A.M. vicarius hujus ecclesiœ p. annos lx, obt. Ao. D'ni. m dcc. xi. œtat. lxxxvi, et Elizab.
dulcissima ejus conjux, filia et soror Johs. Dickinson de burgo St. Petri.
Mane evigelaverimus; with the arms of Henson, azure, a chevron, between three suns in their glory, or, and a bordure, ermine, impaling
Dickinson, on a saltire, five crosses.
The top of the font is neatly carved; it opens, and on the pannels
are painted our Saviour and the four Evangelists.
Voce pater natus, corpore flamen ave. Mat. 3.
In the north transept or cross, lies a gravestone with the arms of
Barker, per fess, nebulee, azure and or, three martlets counterchanged,
and a canton, ermin, for
Peter Barker, gent. who died May 23, 1688, and for Elizabeth,
wife of Thurgood Upwood, gent. first wife of P. Barker, buried April
On a pillar here, a copartment of marble, with the arms of Askham,
gules, a fess, or, between three dolphins embowed, argent, impaling
Bury, ermine, an a bend, azure, between two cottises, gules, three lis,
or; crest, a dolphin embowed.
Near to this place lyeth John Ascham, Esq. born at Boston in Lincolnshire, and Mary his wife, one of the daughters of Sir William Bury of Grantham in Lincolnshire, knight, and sister to the Lord Chief
Baron Bury; he departed, &c. May 3, 1675, she June 8, 1704.
Anthony, first son, died unmarried. 2d, Thomas, married Elizabeth
daughter of William Rookby, Esq. 3d, Dingly Ascham married Frances, daughter of Robert Clarke, Gent. who in remembrance of his pa
rents set this up at his charge.
At the east end of the nave, on a gravestone with a brass plate.
Orate p. a'i'ab; Johs. Coraunt, et Johanne consortis sue, qui quidem
Johes decessit iii die mensis Aprilis, Ao. D'ni. Mill'imo ccccc xxviii.
quorum a'iab; p'pitietur, Deus, Amen.
At the east end of the south isle, in the south transept, on a gravestone,
H.S.E. Richard. Pratt denat. 15 Novemb. 1669, qui annum agens
supra septuagessimum, postquam fatis cessit, extinct. vivit, et nunc sepuits.
loquitur, te rogans (viator) ut mori cogites, priusquam moriaris, hujus
conjux charissima Lucia, filia Johs. Orwell Eliensis, non procul a se reposita dormit, cujus epitaphium scripsit ipse Solomon 31, Prov. 29, 30,
prolem si quœras en Luciam, Annam, Janam, Catharinam, filias iiii,
prœter filium unicum Gervasium adhuc superstitem, qui hocce amoris
simul et mœroris monumentum, L. M. Q. P. with the arms of Prat,
impaling Orwell, a chevron ermine between three lions rampant.
Here also is an old marble gravestone, deprived of its brass plate,
and has now a modern inscription for
Robert Wardele, Esq. late major in the militia, and justice of the
peace in this county, who died October 24, 1700, œtat. 60, with this
shield, a chevron between three boars heads, couped, on a chief three
On a gravestone in the middle of the nave or body of the church,
In memory of Henry Pratt, first son of Richard Pratt of Terrington
gent. who died 1653, and for Christopher his 7th son, (by Ann his 3d
wife) who died 1655, both infants.
On a gravestone in the chancel, with the arms of Upwood, quarterly, in the first and fourth, a chevron, between three heads, erased,
sable, quartering, argent, three cocks, gules, Cockain, in 2d and 3d.
In memory of Samuel Upwood, Esq; who died September 7, 1716, in
his 38 year.
Against the north wall of the chancel is a small mural monument
Dorothy, wife of Mr. John Edwards, daughter of Thorogood Upwood,
Esq; who died Feb. 15, 172½, aged 40; with the arms of Edwards,
ermin, a lion rampant, guardant, azure, on a canton, an eagle displayed, sable, impaling Upwood.
Here was also formerly buried in this church, Thomas Dudley, descended from the Lord Dudley, with this epitaph,
Hic jacet Tho. Sutton, filus Thomœ Sutton nuper de Milton, filij
D'ni Johs. Sutton, D'ni de Dudley. (fn. 13)
Also a gravestone for Elizabeth Sutton, wife, as I take it, of the
aforesaid Thomas Sutton, Esq.
Hic jacet, Eliz. Sutton, filia Roberti Godard; with the arms of
Sutton, impaling Godard and Denver quarterly. (fn. 14)
The said Robert Godard was also here buried.
Hic jacet Robt. Godard, armiger, 1448; and on his gravestone
Godard and Denver quarterly.
And on another gravestone,
Hic jacet Rich'us Zorke quondam burgens. ville Berwic sup. Tweade.
Also William Baldyng, priest, in 1509, and Thomas Howard, as
appears (and requested by his will) in 1548.
In a window over the uppermost arch on the south side of the nave,
are the arms of Godard and Denver, impaled.
On the woodwork of the roof of the nave, is an anchor carved,
the insignia of St. Clement, to whom the church is dedicated. Also
a plain cross.
And formerly here was or a demy eagle in pale, sable, impaling
or, semy de lis, sable, Mortimer, as I take it; and sable, a sword in pale,
argent, hilted and pomelled, or.
In the churchyard, by the south porch door, an altar tomb,
In memory of William Crane, senior, who died November 26, 1709,
aged 65, and of his 3 sons, Robert, Nathaniel, and William
Also memorials for,
Peter Darley, senior, who died October 28, 1710, aged 65.— for
Peter Darley, junior, who died November 11, 1716, aged 45.—for
Edmund Richars gent. who died December 18, 1624, in his 52 year;
and for Mr. John Richars who died July 14, 1713, aged 67.
The rectory of the church of St. Clement's was anciently valued at
100 marks per ann. Peter-pence were 18d. the present valor is 34l.
6s. 8d. and is now a sinecure, and pays first fruits, &c.
The prior of Castleacre had a portion of tithe valued at 30s. per ann.
Luke de Flete, tem. Edward I. rector.
Brancalco de Lavanne, occurs rector 24th of Edward I.
1336, Richard de Muryemouth, presented by the King, the temporalities of the see of Ely being in the King's hands; (fn. 15) he was the
King's chaplain, and presented by him in 1328, to the rectory of
North Fambridge in Essex, rector of Ryseburgh, dean of Wymbourn
free chapel, prebendary of Oxgate in St. Paul's, and of Banbury in
the church of Lincoln.
1342, Mr. William Bryan.
1342, Edmund de Gunvill, founder of Gonville Hall in Cambridge,
presented by the Bishop of Ely.
1351, (fn. 16) Mr. Thomas Loring, by ditto, (rector also of Hinton in Cambridgeshire) on Gunvill's death.
1370, Mr. Thomas Wyrmenhale, ditto, LL. D. chancellor to the
Bishop of Ely, master of St. Peter's college, Cambridge, and prebend
1381, Arnold Pynkeny, ditto; he was buried in the chancel of
Cookham church in Berkshire; on his gravestone,
Hic jacet Dominus Arnoldus de Pinkenny, quond. rector eccles. parrochialis de Tyrington, Norwic. dioc. qui obijt 29 die mensis Dec. Ao.
1402, Mr. John Metfield, LL.D. licenciate.
He was chancellor of the diocese of Ely, rector of Leverington and
Pulham, archdeacon of Ely.
1408, John Breccles, by the Bishop, on the resignation of Metfield.
1410, John Bremore, (on an exchange with Breccles for a canonry
in the church of Chichester) by the Bishop of Ely.
1418, William Derby, ditto, archdeacon of Bedford, 1431.
1429, Mr. William Hertlond, LL. B. vicar also of this church.
Mr. Dreuco Malefrount.
1454, Mr. Robert Thwaits, S. T. P. collated by the Bishop.
1458, Alexander Woderington.
1466, Mr. John Rowclyff, decret. Dr. by the chancellor of Ely.
1499, Mr. William Plome.
1504, Edward Redmayne.
1543, Mr. John Crayford, S. T. P. rector of Stanford Rivers in
Essex, master of Clare-Hall in Cambridge, afterwards master of University college in Oxford, prebendary in the churches of St. Paul's,
Salisbury, and Winchester, chancellor of Salisbury, and archdeacon of
About 1550, Miles Spencer, LL. D. prebend of the church of York,
rector of Wilby, then of Heveningham and Redenhale in Norfolk,
chancellor of Norwich, archdeacon of Sudbury, dean of the college
of St. Mary in the Fields, at Norwich, vicar of Soham in Cambridgeshire.
1569, William Sanderson, A. M. by George Gardiner, S. T. P. hac
1589, Edward Stanhope, LL. D. by William Cooper, Esq. hac vice:
he was rector of Brockley in Suffolk, prebend of Botevant in the
church of York, and of Kentish town in St. Paul's, chancellor to the
Bishop of London, and vicar general to the archbishop of Canterbury,
died in 1608, being then a knight, and was buried in St. Paul's; he
was brother to John, Lord Stanhope of Harrington.
1608, Simon Wells, S. T. P. by the executors of Sir Edward
1609, Richard Hunt, S. T. P. (on Wells's resignation) also vicar of
this church, prebend of Canterbury, dean of Durham, and there buried;
presented by Sir John Stanhope, Knight.
1638, Samuel Ward, S. T. P. presented by the chancellor, master
and scholars of the University of Cambridge patrons; King James I.
on August 26, ao. 3, granted it to that University to be annexed to
the Margaret professorship of divinity, and Dr. Ward was the first
that enjoyed it, prebend of Ampleford, in the church of York, and
master of Sidney college Cambridge.
1660, (fn. 17) John Pearson, S. T. P. afterwards Bishop of Chester.
1673, Ralph Widdrington, S. T. P.
167-, Humphrey Gower, S. T. P. master of Jesus, after of St. John's
college, Cambridge, and prebend of Ely.
1711, Robert Jenkin, S. T. P. master of St. John's college, Cambridge, by the University of Cambridge.
1727, Thomas Lambert, D. D. master of St. John's college, Cambridge.
1735, John Newcome, D. D. dean of Peterborough.
In the 19th of Henry VI. a fine was levied between Lewis, perpetual
administrator, in the spirituals and temporals of the church of Ely,
querent, Thomas Shouldham and Margaret his wife, deforcients, of the
advowson of this church, settled on the church of Ely, quit of the
heirs of Margaret.
The ancient valor of the vicarage was 40 marks per ann. the present
valor is 23l. 6s. 8d. and stands charged for first fruits, &c.
In 1266, Semannus occurs vicar.
1313, Mr. John de Felmingham, by the Bishop of Ely.
1332, Mr. Walter de Istelop.
1335, John de Moygne.
1348, John de Bonyngton, by the Bishop's vicar-general.
Mr. Walter de Eston, prebend of Huntingdon, the church of
1383, John Billing, an exchange for Aldenham in Herefordshire.
1388, John Billing, by the King; the temporalities then in the
1414, Simon Derby.
1420, Mr. John Oteringham.
1424, Mr. John Gryme, LL. B. on an exchange for Dry-Drayton.
William Hertland, rector also, (buried in the chancel 1454, as
he wills) by Mr. Derby, late rector.
1454, Mr. John Peyrson, S. T. B.
1474, Robert Fenton.
1489, Mr. William Doughty, LL. B.
Mr. Henry Mynnes.
1500, Richard Porter admitted to the church of Tyrington, (the
vicarage, as I take it, but not said which) (fn. 18) the see of Norwich being
1540, Mr. Robert Evans.
1554, Mr. Christopher Barton.
1569, William Sanderson, A. M. by the Queen.
1574, Henry Warren.
1582, John Waters.
1603, Richard Hunt, S. T. P. (also rector) by the King.
1638, Thomas Drayton.
Michael Beresford, vicar.
1661, John Henson.
1711, Henry Swetenham, by the Queen.
1740, Henry Robinson, by the King.
There is a chapel dedicated to St. John, belonging to this church
where the vicar of Tyrington is to perform duty and service; and
seems to be built in 1423, license being then granted to John Billing,
vicar, to build a chapel in the lordship of the Bishop of Ely, at the
cross called Peykes-cross, to the honour of God and the Holy Cross:
and in 1428, mention is made of a pilgrimage to Tyrington St. John's. (fn. 19)
It is said to be made parochial and free from the church of St.
Clement, by Thomas Archbishop of Canterbury, in 1530, but I find
no institution to it as a parochial church, and remains at this time a
chapel to the said church, for the service of the parishioners, being
about 2 miles from the mother church.
It is a regular pile, with a nave, 2 isles, and a chancel covered with
lead, a square stone tower with four pinnacles and 4 bells standing at
the south west corner.
In this chapel were the arms of Denver, and Inglethorp, also sable,
three anchors, argent; and argent on a chevron, azure, three cinquefoils in a bordure, or; and an effigies of one on his knees holding
the arms of Denver, and a legend,
Orate p. aia. Joh. Denevere.
In the chapel-yard is an altar tomb erected
To the memory of John Farthing, of Gayton, in Norfolk, Gent: who
dyed May 18, 1712, aged 56: erected by his brother, James Farthing
of King's Lynn, merchant.
The Bishop of Norwich, on September 5, 1422, translated the feast
of the dedication of the church of St. Clement, from the octaves of
St. Martin, and of the church, or chapel of St. John annexed to it,
from the feast of the seven sleepers, to the 24th of September
Here was also a free chapel dedicated to St. James, as appears from
the following institutions:
1300, Roger Mayl, presented by the Bishop of Norwich, to the
chapel of the manor of William Batayle, of Tyrington.
1302, Peter de Creyk, to the free chapel of St. James, by William
1304, Giles de Thorp. Ditto.
1313, Richard de Tyrington, to the chantry, &c. by William
1338, William Oky, to the free chapel, in the manor formerly Sir
William Tyrington's, by Thomas Howard, William Alisandre, Sir John
1340, Thomas Marshall, by William Alisaundre, Thomas Howard
and John, son of William Howard, of Wigenhale and Sir Thomas
1349, William Briton, by John Bardolf, Thomas Howard, &c.
1351, Thomas Walbot, by William Alisandre, &c.
1367, Thomas Caylly, by Sir Robert Causton, Knt. and William
1384, Robert Atte-Bek, by Sir John Tudenham, Knt. &c.
1416, Alan Gele, by Thomas Lovell, Esq.
1424, Mr. Thomas White, by Nicholas Lovell.
1473, Mr. John Saucer, A. M. by the Bishop of Norwich, a lapse.
1479, John Thorn, by Henry Wentworth Esq.
1503, Richard Paorte, by William Lovell, of Wretton.
1522, John Knight, by Roger Wentworth, Esq.
1529, Robert Wentworth, by Sir Roger Wentworth, Knt.
This free chapel on its dissolution in King Edward the Sixth's time,
was valued at 6l. 13s. 4d. per ann. and in 1571, the tithe corn and hay
belonging to it, is said to be worth 7l. 10s. per ann.
Several towns in England take their names from Ter, as Terlinge
in Essex, Terring, in Sussex, Tersal, in Nottinghamshire.