Was a beruite to Snoring Magna. There belonged to Snoring
manor 40 acres of land, at the survey, a carucate, one borderer, 2 acres
of meadow, a mill, and 27 socmen, with 5 carucates; and in Thursford,
5 socmen had 60 acres of land with half a carucate, and 3 freemen 3
carucates of land, &c. valued at 8l. in King Edward's time: at the
survey paid 11l. 10s. 8d. as a fine or income: it was, with Snoring,
one leuca long, and half a one broad, and paid 24d. gelt. (fn. 1) It was
then the King's manor, and Godric was his steward of it, but Ketel
was lord before, and deprived at the conquest.
It seems to take its name from its ford, or pass over the water, of
the Thur, on which it stands, being wrote in Domesday book Turesfort.
William Burgolion had the late of his tenants in this town and
Snoring Magna, of the feofment of Sir William de Ken, by the charter
of Henry II.
The family of Burgolion held this lordship as a member or beruite
to Snoring Magna, from whom it passed to the Sheltons, the Richardsons, &c. and was held by Mr. Neen, in 1715, as is mentioned in
The prior of Bynham's manor of Berney extended into this town,
which, on the dissolution of the convent, was granted to Thomas,
Paston, Esq. November 15, in the 33d of Henry VIII.
In the 15th of Edward I. the prior had the assise of bread and beer,
and amercements of his men. In Queen Elizabeth's reign, it was possessed by the Haydons of Baconsthorp, and afterwards by Sir Thomas
Guybon, Knt. descended from Tho. Guybon, Esq. of North Lynn, who
by Agnes his 2d wife, daughter of Walter Baspole, of Norfolk, Gent.
had William Guybon of Watlington, Gent. who married Elizabeth,
daughter of Thomas Drury, Gent. of Fincham, and left a son and heir,
Sir Thomas Guybon, who was lord of this manor, and died in 1666,
and was succeeded by his 3d and only son, then living, Francis, afterwards a knight, and died lord, January 23, 1704, and was here buried by Sarah his wife, daughter of Joachim Matthews, of Great
Gobions, in Haveringe parish in Essex, Esq. and sister of Sir Philip
Matthews, Bart. he had 4 sons and 2 daughters; William, the eldest,
married — daughter and coheir of Mr. Napps of Wells, by
whom he had William, who took to wife —, daughter of Mr.
Brereton of Brunton; and after Mr. Guybon's decease, this lordship
was sold by his executors, to George Chad, Esq. recorder of Lynn, the
present possessor of it.
The church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and is a rectory; its ancient
valor was 10 marks. Peter-pence 11d. ob. The present valor is 8l.
In 1309, John de Narings was instituted, presented by the Lady
Sarah de Burgolyon.
1321, Thomas de Brecham. Ditto
1322, Thomas de Eggefeld, by Joan, late wife of Sir Robert de Burgolion.
1349, Richard Lawes, by Sir Ralph de Schelton.
1374, John de Honyng, by Sir William de Kerdeston, Knt.
1375, William de Elerton. Ditto.
1393, Thomas Smith, by Sir Ralph Schelton.
1394, John Tolle. Ditto.
1413, Mr. James Walsingham, the Bishop's chancellor, by Sir
Thomas Erpingham, &c.
1432, John Clerk by Catherine, relict of William Shelton, Esq.
1439, John Knyght, by the King.
1440, William Wright, by the King, on the minority of Ralph, son
of John Schelton, Esq. in right of Snoring Magna manor.
1455, John Duste, S. T. B. by Ralph Shelton, Esq.
1459, John Styward. Ditto.
1471, Thomas Scrowtoby. Ditto.
1512, William May.
1518, William Cowper, by Sir John Shelton.
1533, Laurence Sherman. Ditto.
John Burrell, rector.
1554, William Betts, by Anne, relict of Sir John Shelton.
1557, Henry Chamberleyn, by John Shelton, Esq.
1569, Gregory Weston; by the assigns of Ralph Shelton, Esq.
Thomas Giles, rector, compounded for first fruits in May, 1604.
1611, Thomas Porter, S. T. B. by Thomas Richardson, serjeant at
Thomas Wilson, rector, compounded in May, 1617.
1626, Nicholas Holman. Ditto.
1661, Alexander Anderson, by Thomas Richardson, Lord Cramond.
1666, Samuel Leader. Ditto.
1700, Nathaniel Rothwell, by master and fellows of St. John's college, Cambridge.
1710, Thomas Langford, S. T. B. by the master and fellows of St.
John's college, Cambridge.
1734, Robert Leake. Ditto.
1762, Reverend Mr. Alwis, the present rector.
The Church and chancel are covered with lead, and has a square
tower with two bells.
In the chancel is a monument of black and white marble, with iron
rails before it.
M. S. Domino Thomœ Guybon, equiti aurato, Gulielmi filio Humfridi, - - - - - - - - ex antiquissima Guybonorum gente
tertio. vicecomiti, sub Carolo primo et secundo regibus, eirenarchiœ, viro
per omnia integerrimo, erga Deum piissimo, ecciesiam orthodoxo, regem
et monarchiam maxime devato, patriam bone merito, vicinos benevolo,
seipsum sobrio, omnes humano. Qui temporibus democraticis philobasilius, perfidis fidelis; et ob singularem fidem in principem et patriam non
semel offlictus, offtictis patiens, dubiis prudens, arduis constans, turbidis
tranquillus, malis bonus, bonis optimus, omnibus œquus.
Franciscus Guybon filius natu maximus ex testimento solus executor,
ipsius monitu hoc monumentum P. P.—Abi et imitare.
Here lyeth the body of Sir Tho. Guybon, knight, son of William
Guybon of Watlington, Esq. grandson of Humfry Guybon, Esq. high
sheriff of Norfolk, 38 Eliz. married Barbara, eldest daughter of Sir
William de Grey, of Merton in Norfolk, knight, and by her had issue,
3 sons, and as many daughters, viz. William his eldest son, married
Mercy, one of the daughters of Sir Philip Parker the elder, of Arwarton
in Suffolk, knight, and by her had issue, Thomas, his only son, and
Barbara his only daughter, which Thomas died in the lifetime of his
father, unmarried. Francis yet living; Barbara, his eldest daughter,
died young and unmarried; Ann married with Robert Hall of Heigham,
near Norwich, Esq; Mary yet living. A man of a most modest and
harmless conversation, humble in prosperity, courteous, discreet, hospitable and exactly just, and upright to all men, by which virtues he
preserved himself safe in the worst of times, after 66 years near spent,
whereof 52 in happy marriage, he died the 29th of May, 1666.
On this is the arms of Guybon, or, a lion rampant, sable, on a bend
over all, gules, three escallops, argent, impaling De Grey, azure, a
fess between two chevronels, or, &c.
In the chancel lies an old gravestone in French,
De terre je suis faire et formé et à la terre je suis retorné - - - - - Ellertune nom apellé parsone de Thursford, estois, Jesu ave de moy pité.
This in memory of William de Ellerton, who died rector in 1393.
In the church and chancel were the arms of Shelton, Stanhow,
Calthorp, Woodhouse of Hickling, Butts, and Buers, Burgulion, and
gules, six dexter hands couped, argent, Wauncy; Shelton, quartering
Itley, Burgolion and Cockfield.
Walsingham temporalities were 5s. 10d. Bynham priory temporalities for their manor 5l. 8s. in 1428.
The tenths were 47s. 4d. Deducted 15s. 4d.