The abbot of St. Bennet at Holm had the principal lordship of this
town in King Edward's time, and at the survey, when there was one
carucate of land held by 2 villains and a borderer, one carucate in
demean, and one among the tenants, &c. 4 acres of meadow, one
runcus, 6 swine; and one of the abbot's men held 29 acres of land
of the abbot in King Edward's reign, and half a carucate and 2 acres
of meadow; the King and the Earl had the soc, and 9 freemen held
75 acres and 2 carucates then; the abbot had only the commendation
of them; the King and the Earl had the soc. (fn. 1)
The whole manor was valued at 20s. and what the freemen held 2s.
It was one leuca and three furlongs in length, and 5 furlongs in
breadth, and paid 17d. ob. gelt.
The family of De Stalham were, soon after the Conquest, enfeoffed
of this lordship.
William de Stalham was found to hold of the abbot of St. Bennet,
the 5th part of a fee of the old feofment here, and in Beston, in the
12th year of King Henry II. (fn. 2)
In the 34th of Henry III. Sir Will. de Stalham, son of William,
released to the abbot all his right in the advowson of this church.
Nicholas, abbot of St. Bennet, brought a writ of escheat, in the 11th
of Edward I. against William de Stalham, for lands in Irstede, &c.
Sir Robert de Curzon, dying s. p. Sir William de Stalham, father of
this William, had entered on the lands of Sir Robert, though no relation, but the abbot finding by an old roll, that Will. son of Ralph,
some time held the lands in Stalham, Beston and Irstede, by the 5th
part of a fee; and, in another roll, that William, son of William de
Stalham, and Bartholomew, de Calthorp, held the same, Bartholomew
holding them in Beston, by the tenth part of a fee, and the said
William, half the lands in Beston, and the lands in Stalham, and Irstede
by the 10th part of a fee.
The abbot continued the same to William, who gave to the abbot
60 marks of silver, and 2 villains, and performed suit of court for the
same; dated at St. Bennet's.
This William de Stalham married Isabel, daughter and heir of
Matthew de Gunton. And in the 22d of that King, the abbot impleaded Jeffrey Wythe and Isabel his wife, daughter and coheir of
William de Stalham, for the guardianship of Joan, Alice, and Ellen,
her sisters and coheirs.
In the 20th of Edw. III. Oliver de Wythe, and John, son of Robert
de Ingham, held this lordship of the abbot, by the 4th part of a fee:
Robert probably married also one of the aforesaid daughters and
coheirs; and in the 3d of Henry IV. the prior of Ingham, John
Colvile, and Richard de Stalham, are said to hold the said fee.
In 1285, it appears that the abbot and convent had a pound of
incense yearly, and 2 garbs or 2 parts of the tithes of the ancient
demeans of William de Stalham. (fn. 3)
In an extent of the revenues of the see of Norwich, after the death
of Bishop Ruggs, among the rents of several towns, mention is made
of the rents belonging to the see in Stalham, on the exchange of the
lands belonging to the abbey of Holm, made with Bishop Rugg and
Henry VIII. No doubt the interest and lands in this town, that
belonged to that abbey, were granted to that Bishop, and alienated
after by him to Sir William Woodhouse, as is said.
Alan Earl of Richmond had a lordship of which eleven freemen
were deprived, who held 100 acres of land and 2 carucates of meadow,
and the moiety of the soc, under commendation only, and the King
was possessed of the other moiety of it; Alan had also 15 acres of
land here, of which 2 freemen were deprived, of whom Edric had the
commendation, with the moiety of the soc, and the King and the
Earl the other moiety; valued (with the manor of Ingham, &c.) at
100s. and at the survey at 6l. (fn. 4)
Robert Malet laid claim to these 2 manors, which Edric his predecessor had only in King Edward's time, the commendation, and says
that his father was seized of them, and Roger Bigot witnesses the
same; and they were 2 leucas and an half long and 12 perches, and
one leuca and 10 perches broad, and paid 15d. gelt.
The family of de Ingham held this lordship and that of Ingham, in
the reign of Richard I. from whom it came to the Stapletons; part of
it seems to be given to the priory of Ingham; and in the 3d of Henry IV. the prior of Ingham, was returned to have a lordship here, and
part of it came from the Stapletons to the Calthorps, and was sold by
them in the 26th of Henry VIII. to Thomas Woodhouse, Esq. of Waxham, was afterwards in Sir William Woodhouse, and Sir Henry his son
was lord in 1575.
Roger Bigot had also at the survey a lordship with 60 acres of land,
and a carucate and a half, and 3 acres of meadow, of which 9 freemen, who were only under commendation of Edric, were deprived,
who had half the soc, and the King and the Earl the other half, also
15 acres of which a freeman was deprived; to this belonged many
privileges. (fn. 5)
Several persons had an interest herein; Richard le Butler and
Nicholas de Stalham, in the 24th of Henry III. divided by fine this
inheritance, here and in Wykmere; Nicholas had Stalham, and Richard
Wykmere, who dying soon after, s. p. Nicholas enjoyed the whole.
In the 37th of Henry III. Geffrey de Turgijs and Julian his wife,
with Simon de Boleyne, released to Jeffrey de Bourdevile, 2 parts of a
manor, and 2 knights fees here and in Brunstede, which were to descend
to them from Robert Malet, uncle of Julian, and cousin of Simon;
the 3d part of the same belonging to Jeffrey de Bordevile, from Robert
Malet his uncle; and Petronilla, widow of Robert, held the same in
This afterwards came to Rob. Rose and Petronilla his wife, and
Jeffrey Wyndless of Chickering; and Henry Rose was returned as lord
in the 9th of Edward II.
Sir William de Stalham had an interest here in the 17th of Edward
I. and sealed with an estoil of eight points.
Roger Bigot Earl of Norfolk, in the 22d of that King, claimed the
guardianship of the daughters and coheirs of this William.
In the 14th of Edward III. John, son of Robert de Ingham, had an
interest here and in Brunstede; and in the 9th of Edward II. Jeffrey
Wythe was returned to be lord, as marrying Isabel, a daughter and
coheir of Sir William de Stalham.
Edmund de Clipesby was lord, and John Clipsby, Esq. his son, released all his right to the same, and lands here to John Derby, Esq.
in the 2d of Henry V. and John Limford, by his testament, dated
August 2, 1456, gives his body to be buried in this church; appoints
Sibilla his wife, and John Stokewyke, of Somerton, his executors: gives
certain lands and tenements, to Sibill, in this town, Ingham, and
Hickling, for life, and mentions Margaret his late wife.
This afterwards was part of the possessions of the college of Heringby in Norfolk; and on April, 13, in 36th of Henry VIII. the
manors of Stalham Hall, Linford, and Wild's, were granted by that
King to Sir William Woodhouse, being given by Hugh Attefenn's will,
in 1475, to that college, the founder of it, with 10l. per ann.
In 1750, Mrs. Delf of Norwich, had the manor of Linford and
Wild's for life, remainder to Capt. Delf.
The tenths were 9l. Deducted 15s.
The temporalities of the priory of Campesey in Suffolk were 15s.;
of Bromholm, 4s.; of Holm, 7d.
The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and was a rectory, in the patronage of the abbot of Holm.
Mr. Peter de Acres occurs rector in 1247.
Opizo de Castellis, Decret. Dr. rector: he complained, That whereas
he had been rector of this church for 20 years; and received the
profits, the abbot and convent of Holm feigning him to be dead, had
presented to the Bishop, Alan, son of Gilbert de Thornton, and afterwards, in 1290, feigning him dead, presented twice; first, Mr. Bartholomew de Benevile, and secondly Mr. William de Luda, to the great
damage of the said Opizo, in 500 marks, Alan receiving the profits of
one year, to the value of 60l. sterling.
On this the abbot was summoned to appear personally at Rome, to
1302, John de Ferentino, presented by the abbot. The rector had
then a manse with 20 acres, valued at 35 marks; the abbot had a portion of tithe valued at one mark. Peter-pence were 14d.
1332, Mr. Thomas Falstoff, by the abbot.
1349, Richard de Thoresby, by the King, in the vacancy of the abbot, he was prebendary of Langleyle, in the church of St. David's.
1351, Richard de Mores, by the master, &c. of Trinity Hall in Cambridge.
1352, Roger de Holere. Ditto.
1352, Mr. Robert de Stratton.
1352, Robert Burewode to the vicarage: the rectory was appropriated to Trinity Hall, on November 10, this year, for 10l. per ann.
being settled on the vicar, which was taxed at 5l. and to be in the
patronage of that hall; and the rectory was valued at 27 marks and
an half, and the Bishop was to have a pension of 20s. per ann. the
vicar was also to have an agreeable dwelling; the hall was to present
two persons to the vicarage, and the Bishop to choose one.
1355, Simon Attebrig, presented to the vicarage, &c. by that Hall.
1366, John Styward.
1388, John Harpele.
1399, William Howlet.
1402, William Coopere.
1440, William West.
1451, John Walters.
1460, John Phelip.
1462, Richard Frankceys.
1482, Thomas Herte.
1497, John Frampton.
1505, Ralph Bockyng.
1531, John Kelsale.
1592, John Riches, presented by Richard Bayspooll, Gent. in 1603,
he certified that there were 180 communicants, and that John Cobbs,
Gent. was then patron.
1624, Robert Gill, by the Bishop.
1630, Daniel Clayton, by Matthew Matchet, James Calthorp, &c.
1640, Henry Dickenson, by the Bishop.
Edmund Shilling, vicar.
1681, Andrew Threxton, by John Riches, Gent.
The vicarage valued at 5l. and discharged.
1713, Reverend Mr. Rich. Aram, by Catherine Smith, widow.
1730, Timothy Jones, by Edward Browne, Esq.
1736, James Tayler, by Anthony Brown, Esq.
1738, William Lubbock, by Anthony Brown, Esq.
1742, Richard Chase, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1745, William Adams, by the Earl of Orford.
Here were the guilds of St. Mary and St. John Baptist.
In the chancel on gravestones,
P. M. Johs. Riches generosi, qui ob. 1 Apr. 1688, ætat. 69.
Hic jacet Will. Riches, gen. ob. 30 Oct. 1624, ætat. 54.
In memory of Samuel Puckle, Esq. late mayor of Norwich, who died
August 22, 1661, ætat. 73.
In memory of Margaret, late wife of Mr. Mart. Puckle of Norwich,
merchant, daughter and heir of John Riches, gent. who died August 19,
On the south side of the chancel a mural monument.
Here lyes the body of Katherine, one of the daughters of Thomas Castell of Raveningham in Norfolk, who first married John Riches of this
town, gent. and afterwards the Revd. William Smith D. D. one of the
prebendaries of the cathedral church of Norwich, and was his widow, she
departed, &c. May 26, 1718, aged 78; and these arms, Castell impaled
between Riches and Smith.
Against the north wall on an altar tomb,
Here lyeth John Riches, clerk, vicar of Stalham, and rector of Brunstede, aged 82, and died January 4, 1624.
In the cro ss isle a gravestone for
Elizabeth Burton, relict of William Burton, clerk, who gave to this
town 5l. 13s. 4d. per ann. for ever, and died January 6, 1682, aged 59,
In memory of William Burton, gent. late alderman of Yarmouth,
who died July 19, 1686, aged 39.
In the middle isle
Hic jacet sepulta Blitha Copeman, uxor amantissima Rici. Copeman,
armigi, quœ obt. 15 Junii, 1654.
Redit ad requiem pia anima Rici. Copeman, armigi. 13 Aug. 1656.
The arms, two bars, and a bend over all.
Robert Stotevile, chaplain, buried here in 1481, and gives to Trinity guild of Ingham, 6l.
Sir Reginald le Gross gave, in Henry the Third's time, several lands
to this church, about 1247.
There is a monument on a pillar in the middle isle, with these arms,
gules, three dexter hands, couped, in a triangle, argent, Puckle.