Pope Alexander the Third, in 1176, confirmed to John
Bishop of Norwich the rectory of this church. Herbert the Bishop of
Norwich had before this granted a portion of tithe out of it to the
prior of Norwich, which was valued at 3l. 10s. per ann. and John
Bishop aforesaid, gave to Ralph Hindoveston, chaplain, (or vicar,)
two parts of the tithes of his demean, with all the small tithe of his
hall or palace, saving the monks portion.
In the 6th of Henry III. Pandulf, Bishop elect, gave a fine to have
a mercate here weekly, (till the King came of age,) and Walter, the
Bishop in the 35th of that King, had a charter of free warren in his
demeans. The Bishop of Norwich, in the 15th of Edward I. claimed
the assise, view of frank pledge, a gallows, and a weekly mercate on
Thursday; and it seems he had a castle here.
It remained in the see till the exchange made between King
Henry VIII. in his 27th year, and Bishop Rugg, of lands and manors,
when it came to the Crown, and was granted on January 21, in the
2d and 3d of Philip and Mary, to Thomas Gresham, Esq.; by the
marriage of his natural daughter, it came to Sir Nathaniel Bacon,
Knt. second son of Sir Nicholas Bacon, lord keeper, and by his eldest
daughter and coheir, Anne, to Sir Roger Townsend, Bart. in which
family it remains, the right honourable Viscount Townsend now
The tenths 3l. 16s.—Deducted 1l. 4s.
The Church is a vicarage dedicated to St. Andrew, and being
anciently a rectory was valued at 30 marks. Peter-pence 10d.½. and
the vicarage at 4 marks; the present valor is 4l. 10s. 8d.; the Bishop
of Norwich has the impropriated rectory, and the advowson of the
1318, William de Burgh instituted vicar, collated by the Bishop
1340, Robert de Tweyt. Ditto.
1344, John Geyst. Ditto.
1350, Edmund Athelwald.
Robert Fulbeck, vicar.
1371, Richard Otehith.
Walter de Spendlove, vicar.
1377, Thomas Burgeys.
1386, Thomas Moretoft.
1431, Reginald Bryd.
1432, John Ellesmere.
1434, Robert Gybbys.
1452, Thomas Bonet.
1462, Thomas Salmund.
1469, Richard Hadylsey
1487, William Hakon, a canon regular.
John Buck, vicar, succeeded, by James Pearson, vicar, about 1600.
1722, John Stone, by the Bishop.
1727, John Springold, by Jos. Ward, clerk, hac vice.
1758, Henry Bryant, by the Bishop of Norwich.
Bishop Reynolds in his lease of this impropriate rectory, reserved
20l. per ann. to the vicar.