Was held of the fee of Norwich, by the family of De Melton, of
Melton Constable. Jeffrey de Melton, Peter de Melton, or De Constable, his son, and Jeffrey his son, were lords. On the death of
Geffrey, it was, on a division of his estate, in the possession of the
Cockfelds, and Astleys, by the marriage of two of his sisters and
coheirs, as may be seen in Melton and Blakeney.
Sir John de Cokefeld presented to the church in 1305, and 1310,
and the lady Cecilia de Cockfeld in 1322.
Soon after the interest of the Cockfelds was conveyed to the family
of Bacon, and Sir John Bacon held it in 1340, and Sir Bartholomew
Bacon presented to the church in 1378, and his widow Joan in 1397,
and Sir Thomas Astley held his part or right herein, in the 5th of
Richard II. Sir Bartholomew Bacon's sister and heir brought it by
marriage to Sir Oliver Calthorp, and his second son, Richard Calthorp,
Esq. was lord of it, and of Cockthorp, and so descended to his heirs,
as may be there seen, Sir Henry Calthorp of Ampton in Suffolk dying
lord of it, and patron in 1637, and James was then found to be his
son and heir. Astley's part remained in the family till sold in the 31st
of Elizabeth, by Isaac Astley, Esq. to James Calthorp of Cockthorp,
who conveyed it to Sir Henry Calthorp, whose descendant, James
Calthorp, Esq. was lord in 1697, and in that family it now remains.
The Church is a rectory dedicated to St. Mary; ancient valor was
5 marks. Peter-pence 2d.; the priory of Norwich had a portion of tithe
valued at 10s. The present valor is 3l. 6s. 8d.
1305, Oliver de Kirkeby instituted, presented by Sir John de Cokefeld, Knt.
1310, Edmund de Cokefeld. Ditto.
1322, Peter de Walton, by Lady Cecilia de Cokefeld.
Robert Wyleby occurs rector in 1335.
1378, John Michel, by Bartholomew Bacon.
1383, Nich. Halles. Ditto.
1397, William Tillere, by Joan, relict of Sir Barth. Bacon.
1398, Jeff Coke. Ditto.
1401, John Wyterpyn. Ditto.
1416, Godf. Mayster. Ditto.
1417, Steph. Schirreve. Ditto.
1437, William Herbald, by Richard Calthorp, Esq.
1468, John Sherwyn, by Robert Mekylfeld and Margaret his wife.
Thomas Palmer occurs rector in 1503.
Ralph Same occurs rector, and was succeeded by
William Simson, who was rector in 1606.
1622, Robert Pearson instituted rector.
Mr. Calthorp patron in 1742.