The abbot and convent of St. Edmund of Bury had a considerable
lordship here in the reign of King Edward; and at the survey, when
Frodo was enfeoffed of it, and held of the abbey, with 3 carucates of
land, and 10 acres; 3 villains, 8 borderers, and 2 carucates in demean
&c. and 2 among the tenants, &c. 8 acres of meadow, one mill, one
runcus, 12 cows, &c. 80 sheep, and 2 skeps of bees: there were also
11 socmen, with all their customary dues, and 2 carucates, and 20
acres, valued then at 40s. at the survey at 4l. it was 14 furlongs long
and 4 broad, and paid 16d. gelt, whoever may hold it; the soc was
in the abbey, (fn. 1)
Frodo, who was enfeoffed of it, was brother of Baldwin, abbot of
Bury, a Norman, who with his convent, granted it to him, with
Mundham in Norfolk, Tostock, Dunham, and Somerleton in Suffolk. (fn. 2)
Alfric, called Modercope, a noble Saxon hero, is said to have given
it to the abbey, in the time of the Confessor.
Gosselinus de Lodnes held it under Frodo with 5 knights fees and a
It is also said in Register Pinchebeck of this abbey, that Britulinus
alias Britulfus, son of Leomar, was lord of Cheventon, Saxham,
Dunham, Tostoke, and Somerletun in King Edward's time; and that
King William, on his death, gave it to the abbey, and to Baldwin
the abbot, to give to Frodo his brother, and among his followers
(Frenchmen) to serve St. Edmund, whenever they were summoned;
and that the abbot by the King's command gave Frodo, Dunham,
Fostook, and Somerleton, to hold of St. Edmund and the King, and to
find soldiers; and that Chevington and Saxham being near to the monastery, the abbot held them in his own hands, for the use of his church,
and gave Lodne and Mendham, which lay at a distance, to Frodo: they
being given to the abbey by Alfric Modercoppe, with Thurwineham,
in the time of Edward the Confessor, and Alfric the Bishop.
Aldbold, abbot of Bury, gave to O —, late wife of Gosceline
de Lodne, about 1110, in fee, the land that Gosceline held at his
death, paying for the land at Thurston, 20s. per ann. to the sacrist;
witnesses, Gilbert Blund, Gilbert son of Frodo, &c.
Jeffrey de Lodne (probably) son of Gosceline, was living in the
reign of King Henry I. and Jordan, son of Jeffrey, was lord in the
time of King Stephen, and granted lands here by deed; witnesses,
Roger de Watchetune, Richard de Thorpe, Henry de Hemenhale; his
seal, a man armed cap-a pee, on horseback, his sword drawn in his
right hand, and a shield in his left.
Ralph de Lodne, with the consent of Gosceline, his son, gave by
deed sans date to the nunnery of Wykes in Essex, with Beatrice his
daughter, the tithe of his house and land at Preston in Suffolk: this
was in the time of William (Turbe) Bishop of Norwich, as appears
by the deed, and in the reign of Henry II.
In the 10th of King John, Hubert de Randeston sued Jeffrey de
Lodne, for a carucate of land in Katelesden, of his inheritance, which
William his brother held in the reign of Henry II. Jeffrey pleaded
that he had the land by the marriage of the daughter of Hervey de
Glanvile; so that Robert de Creke, who married the daughter of
William de Glanvile, ought to warrant it.
Thomas, son of William, son of Herbert, grants to Roger, son of
Jeffrey de Lodne, by deed sans date, houses and lands, which Roger
de Siseland and Stonilde his wife, held of him; witnesses, Jeffrey de
Lodne, and John his son, Gilbert de Elingham, Roger de Hales, and
William, his son, Alan de Hekingham, &c. the seat, a man in complete armour on a horse in full speed, without a bridle, with a drawn
sword, and on his shield a cross pattee.
Jeffrey de Lodne was a steward to the priory of Norwich, 1242, and
in the preceding year, Robert, son of Gilbert de Walsham, had granted to him by fine, from Geff. the service of one knight's fee in
Lodne, Langley, &c. Roger paying 6s. per ann. and 16s. when the
scutage was at 20s.
Gosceline de Lodne, who was lord, dying in — left a son,
Goscelin, who dying s.p. his five sisters were his heirs; Alice, or Amitia,
who married William de Beaucham; 2d, Agnes married William de
Ryvill; 3d, Susan, married to Hugh de Somerton; 4th, Emma to
Ralph de Hoo; and 5th, Lescilina, to Peter de Brokeley: yet the
family of the Lodnes (as some collateral branch) had an interest in the
town after this, and Sir John de Lodne was living in the reign of Edward I. and held lands here, also William, his son.
Letitia, widow of Sir Robert de Lodne, granted lands in Syseland
and Mundham, to John de Gales rector of Syseland in the 2d of Edward III. by her deed: she is represented in her seal standing, holdin her right hand a shield, checquy, and a chief; in her left, a shield
checquy and a bend over all; the one probably the arms of Tateshall,
the other of Clifton.
Alicia, who married William Beauchamp, on a division of Gosceline's
estate, had besides her own part, the part of her sister Agnes, who with
her husband, William de Ryvill, granted it to her, and her husband,
William de Beauchamp. (fn. 3)
John de Beauchamp, their descendant, granted by fine, his interest
therein, to Edward, son of Sir William Charles, (fn. 4) and Alice his wife,
with 5l. annual rent in Lodne, Heckingham, Langley, &c. and the advowson of Lodne, Quidenham, Norton, Akele, &c. in the 16th of Edward I.
In the 48th of Henry III. Sir William Charles had a grant of free
warren in all his lands in this town, Siseland, Mundham, &c. and in
the following year, that of a weekly mercate on Friday, and an annual
fair at Loddon, and his son Edward claimed the said liberties in the
15th of Edward I.
To this Edward, and Alice his wife, Henry de Hales, and Trista de
Ketelburgh surrender by fine, the manor of Milton in Northamptonshire: remainder to William their son; by this it seems that Alice
was daughter and heir of — de Ketelburgh, lord of that town,
Edward had also other younger sons; Robert, Edmund, and Edward.
William, son of William Charles, lord in the reign of Edward II.
Edward Charles, in the 3d of Edward III. is said to hold it of the
abbot of Langley, and of Robert de Inglos, valued at 20l. per ann.
and Edward was his son and heir.
In the year 1400, Sir Robert Charles was lord of this town, and of
Kettleburgh: in this year he died, and gives to Anne his wife, the
lordships of Kettleburgh, Syseland, and Eston, with the advowson of
Thweyte, (fn. 5) paying 20l. per ann. to Thomas, his eldest son, and she to
have the education of his son Robert: his will is dated on the feast
of St. Peter 1400, and was buried in the chapel of Ketelburgh church,
by the tomb of his father.
In the 7th of Henry V. Sir Thomas Charles, Knt. died, and Thomas
was found to be his son and heir, aged 15: this Thomas, and Elizabeth
his wife, conveyed, about the 20th of Henry VI. the manor of Syseland, with lands in Lodne, &c. to John Duke of Norfolk, &c.
William de la Pole Earl of Suffolk is also said to have bought of
Thomas Charles, Esq. and Ralph de How, for 1850 marks, this lordship, 600 acres of land, 40 of meadow, 300 of pasture, 20 of wood, in
Loddon, &c. to John Mowbray Duke of Norfolk; and his descendants, the Howards, held it.
Susan, the third daughter and coheir, married Hugh de Somerton;
Ralph his son left two daughters and coheirs, Alice, married to Ralph
de Bokenham, and Lucy to Nicholas de Shurford.
Hugh, son of Ralph de Bokenham and Alice, claimed, as heir to
Gosceline de Lodne, in the 27th of Edward I. an interest in the advowson of the church of Okle by Eye in Suffolk.
Godfrey de Albeney, guardian of Ralph, son of Hugh de Bukenham,
gave eleven pounds to have the seventh part of the inheritance of
Gosc. de Lodnes which Ralph held, in the 5th of King John. (fn. 6)
Emma, the fourth daughter and coheir, married Ralph de Hoo, who
was descended from Reyner, a Norman; this Ralph was father of
Reyner, who had two sons, Ralph, and William de Hoo, Ralph enfeoffed his brother William, in his part of this manor, and was father
of John de Hoo, who claimed an interest in the patronage of Okle
aforesaid, Ao. 27 Edward I. in the 9th of Edward II. Lettice de Howe,
and John de Howe held it.
Lescelina, the fifth daughter and coheir of Gosceline de Lodne, married Peter de Brokeley, father of Reginald de Brokeley, whose daughter and heir, Lucy, married first John de Cramavil, and to her second
husband, John Algar, who with his wife Lucia conveyed several messuages, and lands, with 6 marks rent per ann. in this town, Hardele,
Hales, Langele, &c. to Henry de Riveshale; and about the said time,
in the 44th of Henry III. James de Neketon, as a trustee, settled on
the said Henry, and Amicia in tail, a messuage, land and 6 marks
rent here, &c.; this was held by the lady Reveshale in the 20th of
The abbot of Langley had a considerable interest also in this lordship. After the death of Gosceline, the Earl of Oxford is said to have
held of the abbot of Bury the five knights fees and a half, that he held,
and Gosceline's descendants held their parts of the said Earl.
In the 20th of Henry III. the abbot, Ralph de Howe, &c. were
found to hold them of the Earl of Oxford, and he of the abbot of
Bury, who held in capite.
In the 10th of King John, the abbot had the 4th part of the advowson in his own right, and had 3 other parts then conveyed to him by
fine, and in the 6th of Henry VI. he paid suit to the Earl of Oxford's
manor of Castle Heveningham in Essex for his lands here.
In 1428, the temporalities of the abbot were valued at 10l. 17s. 11d.
After the Dissolution it was granted August 16th, in the 32d of King
Henry VIII. to Thomas Godsalve, Esq. and John his son.
Henry de Stubbs had an interest, or part of a fee here, in Norton,
&c. which he surrendered by tine in the 24th of Henry III. to Jeffrey
de Lodne: the family took their name from a place called Stubbs in
Geff. de Stubbs gave lands here to Langley abbey, Henry de Stubbs,
son of Adam, conveyed also lands at Stubbs, to Geff. de Lodne, with
rents; this appears to be held of the Earls of Oxford, of Bury fee.
Sir John de Lodne, in the 15th of Edward I. claimed free-warren
in his manor of Stubbs. This came afterwards into the abbey of Langley, and was granted with their lordship, to Thomas and John Godsalve,
Roger Godsalve sold it to Robert Hobart, Gent. in the 11th of James I.
and Hobert to Sir Robert Breton, in the 15th of that King.
The Charnels had also a part of Gosceline's manor. Ernald de Charnels granted his right of patronage in the church of Loddon to the
abbot of Langley, in the 10th of King John, and in the 19th of Henry
III. Peter de Rysing and Joan his wife resigning all their right in a
tenement formerly Gosceline's, to Thomas de Charnels: Joan was
daughter of Baldwin Charnels.
Uluric, a freeman of Earl Guert, or Guerd, brother of King Harold,
was lord of this manor in the reign of the Confessor: this was granted to Robert Grenon; and Osbert held it under him at the survey.
In Uluric's time it consisted of a carucate and a half, 2 villains, 12
borderers, one servus, 2 carucates in demean, 2 carucates among the
tenants, &c. 4 acres of meadow, the moiety of a mill, 3 saddle horses
in the manor-house, 4 cows, and a 100 sheep: there was a socman
with 10 acres, and among the whole a carucate, valued then at 20s.
at the survey at 40s. and Earl Ralph had the soc, and there were 4
acres of land more in this town, included in the value aforesaid of 40s. (fn. 7)
This lordship was called Bacon's, from the lords of it; the ancestor of the family was Grimbald, a Norman, lord of Letheringset, Baconsthorp, and this manor, in a few years after the survey; Ralph, his
second son, assumed the name of Bacon, and was father of George
Bacon, who gave lands at Lodne to Maud, widow of Sir Roger de
Hales; of this family was Richard Bacon, who gave lands in this town
in the time of Henry II. to Bungey priory in Suffolk, and Roger Bacon,
witness to a deed of lands in Kirkeby in King John's reign.
George Bacon aforesaid, is said to have been father of Thomas who
dying s. p. Roger his father, succeeded him. Agnes, widow of his
brother Thomas, sued this Roger for distraining her tenants in this
town, and Baconsthorp, in the 5th of Henry III.
In the 29th of Henry III. Thomas Bacon had a grant of a weekly
mercate and fair here; and in the 32d of that King, Roger Bigot
Earl of Norfolk granted him by fine, liberty to hold the same on pay
ing to Roger 20s. per ann. he being sued by the Earl, as the mercate
here was prejudicial to the Earl's mercate at Bungey.
George Bacon of Lodne, impleaded in the 51st of the said King,
Symon, abbot of Langley, for taking his toll from him in this fair for
9 years past, belonging to his manor, granted to him for two days on
the eve and day of St. Martin; George dying s.p. Roger his brother
inherited it, and claimed freewarren in the 15th of Edward I.
In the 8th of Edward III. Sir Roger Bacon settled it on his son
Thomas's marriage with Joan, daughter of Roger de Antingham.
John Bacon, Esq. (fn. 8) was lord in 1426, and dying 1462, left by Margaret his wife, daughter of Robert Baynard, Thomas, his son and heir,
who by Margery his wife, daughter of John Jenney, had two daughters
and coheirs: Elizabeth, married to Sir John Glemham, of Glemham
Parva in Suffolk; and Anne to Robert Garneys of Kenton, in Suffolk, Esq.
Sir John Glemham, Esq. died seized of a moiety of this lordship,
October 15, ao. 29 Henry VIII. as did Christopher his son, October
18, ao. 4 of Ed. VI. leaving Thomas his son and heir, by Margery,
daughter of Sir Richard Wentworth of Nettlestead in Suffolk, aged 16.
This Thomas married Amy. daughter of Sir Henry Parker, and sold
his moiety to Sir Thomas Gresham.
Tho. Garneys died lord of a moiety in the 9th of Elizabeth, leaving
Elizabeth his daughter and heir, aged 11 years; she married Philip
Strettey, Esq. of Nottinghamshire, and by their deed, dated November
2, ao. 27 of Elizabeth, sold it to John Weld of London, haberdasher;
and Sir Thomas Gresham, conveyed the other moiety, which he bought
of Thomas Glemham, Esq. January 14, ao. 5 of Elizabeth, to the said
John Weld, on April 22, ao. 23d Elizabeth, so that Weld was lord of
the whole manor.
John Weld, Esq. in the 18th of Elizabeth, sold it to Elizabeth, late
wife of Richard Berney, Esq. who leased it to Anthony Hobart of
Hales Hall, Esq. for 60 years at 60l. per ann.
At the time of the survey there was another lordship also which Robert, son of Corbun, was rewarded with, at the conquest, and which
Humphrey held of Robert at the survey. Aluric, a freeman, held it
under Archbishop Stigand in King Edward's time, when it consisted
of a carucate and half of land, one villain, 3 borderers, one servus,
and there was one carucate and a half in demean, &c. one and a half
among the tenants, &c. the moiety of a mill, 4 acres of meadow, 40
sheep, &c. 4 socmen also, with 12 acres and a carucate and a half of
land, &c. valued at 20s. at the survey at 30s.
Humphrey held also a small fee under the said Robert, half a carucate which the abbot of Holm claimed; and the hundred witnessed it
to be the abbot's.
There was near to this town of Loddon, a village or a hamlet called
Golosa, which the said Aluric held under Stigand, and on his deprivation was granted to Robert, son of Corbun, and held of him by
Humphrey. In Aluric's time there was one carucate of land, 3 villains,
and 3 borderers, one carucate in demean, one among the tenants, one
horse valued at 20s. and 9 socmen held 20 acres with three carucates
before the conquest, then valued at 7s. but at the survey at 10s. the
King and the Earl had the soc. (fn. 9)
These lordships came, on the death of Robert, son of Corbun, as
an escheat to the Crown, and were granted by King William II. to
William de Albini, (the King's butler, lord of Rysing castle, &c.) ancestor of the Earls of Arundel.
The ancient family of De Inglose, held then under the Albinys
Earls of Arundel, and may be justly supposed to take their name from
Golosa, afterwards corruptly called Inglose, the town being some ages
past demolished, and the lands belonging to it now making part of
the parish of Loddon.
William de Inglose was lord, and living in the 10th of King John,
and had Hervey his son.
Martin de Inglose, son of Hervey, held a knight's fee in the 34th
of Henry III. and was impleaded for not taking that degree. (fn. 10) Reginald de Inglose appears to be son of Martin, by a deed, sans date;
and John, son of Reginald, quitclaimed to the abbot of Langley all
seigniory over his land in Lodne, formerly Dogget's, and Jeffrey de
Lodnes, in homages, reliefs, &c. except 3l. 11d. ob. rent, to be paid
by him, and scutage.
This John was found to hold his lordship of the castle of Rysing.
In the 3d of Edward I. the jury present that the lands, late Martin
de Inglose, were held in Inglos, by the fourth part of a fee, of Robert
de Monte Alto, lord of Rysing.
In the said year, Nicholas Hovell, and Joan his wife, convey to Robert de Inglose, and Joan his wife, a messuage and land, here, in Mundham, &c. and Ralph de Howe, in the 25th of that King, granted lands
in Lodne, which extended towards Inglose, to Ralph de Inglose. Alice,
widow of this last Ralph, was living in the 5th of Edward II. and
daughter of Sir Richard de Cadomo. About this time, John de Inglose, and Robert his son, were living.
Sir Robert de Inglose, in the 11th of Edward III. by deed, released
lands in Long Stratton, and sealed with three bars gemelle, and on a
canton 8 billets; and Joan his wife living then.
John de Inglose was lord in the 20th of the said King, and in his
42d year, Henry, son of Sir John de Inglose, sold by fine, the manor
of Inglose-Hall, in Lodne, and 11s. rent, which Dionysia, widow of
Sir John had for life, to William de Brundale and his heirs.
Anne, late wife of Sir Henry Inglose, held it in the 18th of Richard
II. in 1389, she presented to the church of Siseland, in Norfolk; and
in 1396, Henry Inglose presented, and in 1416, and by his feoffees in
Sir Henry Inglose, Knt. by his will, dated June 20, 1451, (fn. 11) and
proved July 4 following, desires to be buried in the presbytery of
Horsham priory, by Anne his wife, who was the daughter and heir of
Robert Gyney of Haverland, by Margaret his wife, daughter and heir
of John Fastolf, Esq. gives to the priory of Mountjoy in Haverland
40s. to the vicar of Haverland, for tithes forgot, 26s. 8d. to the repair
of St. Martin's church, by the palace in Norwich, 20s. to Sir John
Colvyle and Anne his wife, a legacy (she was his daughter,) to Anne,
daughter of Edward Wichingham, at her marriage, 10l. to Henry
Inglose, Esq. his eldest son, the manors of Dilham, Lodne, and Washingford in Norfolk, and Ashby in Suffolk; to Robert his 2d son, the
manors of Haverland, Brandeston, and Causton in Norfolk; to his
daughter Margaret Beaupre, a legacy, and orders his lordship of
Bokenham Ferry, North Walsham, Helmingham, called Bryan's,
Rakeheigh, Hoothgate, Mundham, called Mauclerk's, and Sprouston in
Norfolk, Gunton and Hopton in Suffolk, and Pykworth in Rutlandshire, to be sold by his executors, (fn. 12) Edward Wichingham, Robert Inglos,
and John Parham, clerk, to pay his debts; and the manors of Hedenham and Killing, to the Lady — Ilketeshale, for life, the reversion
to his executors, to perform his will, and the advowsons of the
churches of Filby, Boton, Baldeswell, Grymston, Syseland, and Gunton,
to be sold.
Henry Inglose, Esq. son of Sir Henry, inherited it, and died possessed
of it, &c. with the manor of Bykar in Lincolnshire, on September 20,
ao. 8th of Henry VIII. and Henry was found to be his son and heir,
aged 18, who died Sept. 25, 17th Henry VIII. seized of this lordship,
In the 24th of that King, Robert Holditch had it conveyed by fine
to him, from Francis Thyrkill.
In the 23d of Henry VIII. Thomas Godsalve, Esq. possessed it, and
his son, Sir John Godsalve, died lord on November 20, in the 3d and
4th of Philip and Mary, held by the 20th part of a fee of Rysing
castle, and the rent of 33s. ob. per ann. William his son succeeded,
and died in the 4th of Elizabeth, and Thomas Godsalve died Aug. 12,
ao. 30 Eliz.
Roger Godsalve aliened it December 1, ao. 11 of James I. to Robert
Hobart, Gent. and in the 15th of the said King, Robert conveyed it
to Sir Robert Breton, on February 20.
Godric, the King's sewer, or steward, had a small fee in Loddon,
which 2 freemen of Edwin, who possessed it in the reign of the Confessor, were deprived of, containing 24 acres and a carucate of land.
Godric had also a lordship in a town or hamlet near to Loddon,
called Wasingeford, in the Book of Domesday, of which a freeman of
Edwin was also deprived, containing 30 acres; 2 borderers belonged
to it, and the soc was in the lord of the hundred. (fn. 13)
Edwin held also 6 freemen here, who were deprived of 16 acres,
with 2 carucates and 4 acres of meadow, and a mill.
Both these fees came as an escheat to the Crown, on the death of
Godric, and were granted to William de Albini, ancestor of the Earls
There was an ancient family that took their name from this town,
which is demolished; but there are lands in the parish of Loddon
going by that name.
This lordship of Washingford was held by the Ingloses. Sir Henry
de Inglose died seized of it in 1451; and in the same family it remained, and passed from them, with the manor of Inglose, as may be
there seen, to which it was united.
The manor of Hales, called Loddon-Hales, extended into this town,
which belonged to the Bigots Earls of Norfolk.
In Hales-hall lived Sir James Hobart, the attorney-general to
Henry VII. and his descendants; which hall was, it seems, in this
parish of Loddon. See in Hales, in Clavering hundred.
The tenths of this town were 10l. 9s. 9d. Deducted 3l.
In the 10th of King John a fine was levied of the 3 parts of the
advowson of this church, between Gilbert, abbot of Langley, querent,
Roger Bacun, (fn. 14) Walter de Raveningham, Reyner de Ho, Ernald de
Charnells, William de Inglose, Reginald de Brokele, and Ralph de Bello
Campo, deforcients, whereby they grant their 3 parts to the abbot,
who had the fourth part, belonging to the fee of Josceline de Lodne.
The abbot being in possession of the patronage, had it appropriated
to him, and a vicarage was appointed, of which he had the patronge.
In the reign of Edward I. it appears that there were two carucates of
land, with a manse or house, belonging to this appropriated rectory,
and that he had all the small tithes of the men or tenants, belonging
to the manor of Robert de Lodne, with the oblations at the Cross;
that the rectory was taxed at 25 marks.
The vicar had a manse with 30 acres, valued at 6 marks. Peterpence, 2s. carvage 18d. but had no oblations or tithes (of the men) of
the manor abovementioned, and he administered all sacramets.
In 1303, Alan Atte Herne was instituted vicar, presented by the
abbot of Langley; but in 1311, on the 6th of the ides of January,
John Salmon Bishop of Norwich, united and consolidated this vicarage
to the abbot.
At the Dissolution, the appropriated rectory and vicarage, which
was consolidated and united to it, came to the Crown; the rectory
remained there some time; but in 1581, Henry Wesco was presented
to the vicarage by Queen Elizabeth.
In 1603, he returned 240 communicants.
In 1607, Robert Plumstead, vicar, presented by the King.
1608, Edward Hareward, presented by Martin, Bishop of Ely.
On an exchange of lands made by Queen Elizabeth, and the see of
Ely, this appropriated rectory, and the patronage of the vicarage,
came to that see.
1613, John Martyn, by the Bishop of Ely.
1670, William Fuller. Ditto.
1702, Samuel Conold, by the Bishop of Ely.
1759, William Manning, by the Bishop of Ely.
The Church was dedicated to the Holy Trinity. In the old
church I find a legacy granted to build a new font in 1487, and to a
new battlement of the steeple, in 1500.
In it were the guilds of Corpus Christi, and of our Lady, St. Margaret's tabernacle, and St. Christopher's image.
Sir Edward Charles buried here in 1329.
Robert Spooner of Bongey gave a tenement and lands to keep his
obit, on the vigil of St. Andrew; the tenement was called Walbis,
and with the lands, &c. that lay in this town. (fn. 15)
In the churchyard was the chapel of St. Mary, to which there
belonged a custos in 1289. Elias, son of Warine de Heckingham,
gave to God, and the chapel of St. Mary, founded in the churchyard
of Lodnes, lands in that town, by deed, sans date. Thomas, son of John
Le Signur, de Lodnes, gave also lands. Reg. Langl. Abb. fol. 54.
The present church was built by Sir James Hobart, in the reign of
King Henry VII. and Margaret his wife, who died before him, was
there buried in 1492; and is a beautiful building.
In the north chapel, by the chancel, on an altar marble, several
brass plates, with the arms, and two figures, now disrobed,
In memory of Henry Hobart, Esq;
Near to this, on a gravestone, with brass plates, the effigies of a
Pray for the soule of Anne Hobart, late wife of Henry Hobart, Esq;
daughter of Sir John Fyneaux, knight, chief judge of England, which
Anne departed the last day of Octr. 1530, on whose Soule, Jesu have
Also the arms of Hobart and Fineaux, vert, a chevron, between
three eaglets displayed, and crowned, or.
On a gravestone, in the chancel near the north wall, the effigies of
two persons in winding sheets;
Of your charity pray for the soule of Dame Catherine Sampson, late
wife of Sir Thomas Sampson, knight, and late the wife of John Blomvile, Esq; April 18, 1546; with the arms of Blondeville, impaling
On a stone,
Here lyeth buried before the blessed image of — —, Master
Walter Hobart, son of Sir Walter, and Lady Anne Hobart.
In the parish of Lodnes, there was also a chapel belonging to
Charles, son of William of Gernemuth, who obliged himself to the
canons of Langley, that the chapel which they granted to his court
in Lodnes, should be maintained by him and his successours, in all
things, without detriment to the parish church. (fn. 16)