Ralph de Beaufoe had a lordship here when Domesday book
was made, of which Sigar, a freeman, lord also of Hokering, (as I
take it,) was deprived, and Richard held it of Beaufoe; 11 borderers,
5 carucales, and 10 acres of meadow, belonged to it, and 2 mills, valued at 4l. All this with Hokering, was half a leuca long, and half a
one wide, and paid 5½d. gelt, and Tottenham was 5 furlongs long,
and 4 broad, and paid 21½d. gelt, and there were 2 churches endowed
with 20 acres. The two churches here mentioned, are the 2 moieties
of this church, or father Beaufoe's right in this church, and in that of
Hokering. (fn. 1)
From Beaufoe it came to Hubert de Rie, from him to the Marshals,
then to the Morleys. John de Shropham and Thomas his son, who
held it under the Lord Morley, and in the 18th of Edward III.
granted by fine to Richard de Bittering, one of the bailiffs of Norwich,
and Margaret his wife, the manor of Todenham Faldgate, (as it was
sometime called,) with the homages, services, &c.
In the 43d of that King, William Blickling, citizen of Norwich, and
Margaret his wife, conveyed a moiety of it, with lands in Hokering,
to Richard Rikkes of this town, from the heirs of Margaret.
From the Lords Morley it came to the Lovells, so to the Parkers
Lord Morley, as may be seen at large in Hokering, &c.
Edward Parker Lord Morley, sold it in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, to Sir Thomas Lovell of East Herling; and Sir Charles Lovell
was lord in the reign of King Charles I.
Thomas Berney, Esq. was in possession of it in 1658; Thomas Berney, Esq. in 1720, &c.
St. Cleere's Manor.
In 1436, John Green, citizen of Norwich, gave his manor of St. Clere's
to Alice his wife, and her heirs; (fn. 2) and by the will of Robert Norwich,
senior, of Norwich, dated June 8, 1444, it appears that he was lord of
it, and grants it to Alice his wife. Richard Arnolds of Shipdam, Esq.
died possessed of in January 1472.
After this, it came to the Wottons. William Wotton, Esq. in the
19th of Henry VIII. was lord, and one of the Barons of the Exchequer,
created by patent, July 10, ao. 13th of Henry VIII. He married Ann,
daughter of Richard Southwell, of Wood-Rising.
John Wotton, Esq. was his son, who married Elizabeth, daughter
of Robert Berdwell, Esq. of West Herling; and by an inquisition taken
September 16, in the 38th of Henry VIII. on the death of the said
Elizabeth, at North Tudenham, February 26 past, widow of John Wotton, Esq. who died at Calais, in the service of the King, January 20,
in the said year, before his wife, the jury find that they left issue, Anne,
Wotton, their daughter and sole heir, aged 10 years; she had 3 husbands; first, Sir Thomas Wodehouse of Waxham; 2d, Henry Repps,
Esq. of Mendham; 3d, Bassingh. Gawdy. and by him only issue.
After this, Edward Walpole of Houghton in Norfolk, Esq. was lord;
John Gerrard, in 1575, is said to have got from this Edward (whom
he caused to sell this manor) about 1000 marks, and to enter into Jesuitical exercise. (fn. 3)
On September 27, in the 39th of Elizabeth, Sir Anthony Ashley,
James Hussy, and John Goodman, Esq. sold it to Calybut Walpole,
Esq. brother of Edward, with 3 messuages, 60 acres of land, 40 of
meadow, 80 of pasture, 10 of wood, 40 of heath, in this town, Hokering, &c. with rents and services; and in the 42d of that Queen,
William Cobb of Sandringham, Esq. Edmund Bedingfeld of Ashill,
Esq. and Anthony Bedingfeld of Westleton, in Suffolk, Esq. grant for
350l. paid to them, an annuity of 20l. per ann. out of it to Owen Godfrey, of Hindringham, Gent. and John Dix of Wicmere, by deed, dated
Thomas Skyppe, Esq. died seized of it in 1632.
The Mandestons had also an interest here. The heirs of Robert de
Mandeston held in the 11th of Edward I. half a fee in this town, of
the honour of Hokering, and Richard de Mandeston was possessed of
it in the 28th of that King, as was Thomas de Mandeston, in the 20th
of Edward III. and William de Mandeston in the 3d of Henry IV.
The church of Ely had a lordship in the time of the Confessor, and
at the survey, a socman, with 2 carucates of land, 7 borderers, one
mill, 3 acres of meadow, with a carucate and a half, valued at 20s
but at the survey at 12s. and Ralph de Beaufoe held it then of the
abbot of Ely. (fn. 4)
This was after held of the Bishop of Ely, and was joined to the capital manor here.
In this town, Hermerus de Ferrarijs had invaded or seized on 32
acres of land, a carucate and an half of meadow, valued at 5s. (fn. 5) held
by 3 freemen, in Kidg Edward's time, and were under protection at
that time, being their absolute property; see in East Tudenham.
Here was a considerable manor in this town, besides what is already
observed, belonging to the Earl Warren, who by his power had invaded or seized on the possessions of 4 freemen, who had in King Edward's
time, half a carucate of land belonging to the fee of Frederick, and
lived under the protection and commendation of his predecessor, with
one borderer, 2 carucates and 2 acres of meadow, valued at 10s. and
Wimere held it of the Earl. (fn. 6)
This lordship extended into that of Shipdam, which belonged to this
Earl, and the moiety of a church which is there mentioned in Domesday Book, was undoubtedly the church of North-Tudenham, which
always belonged to this manor of Belhouse, and could not be in Shipdam, the patronage of that being in the church of Ely.
In the 13th of King John, Philip Gulafre impleaded Richard de
Belhus and Maud his wife, for 2 carucates of land here, of which
William Gulafre, his great grandfather, and Scurtetuna his wife, were
seized in the time of Henry I. who had issue, Roger, father of William,
father of the claimant; Richard pleads that he held it in right of his
wife, Maud, one of the daughters and coheirs of John Pouchard, son
and heir of Sir William Pouchard; to this Philip replied, that the relict of Pouchard held it in dower, but on her death, Robert Tregoz,
the capital lord, seized on it and held it; but to this Richard and
Maud answered, that Tregoz granted it to them.
Sir William Pouchard was father of John, who married Alice, daughter and coheir of Fulk de Oyry, lord of Gedney in Lincolnshire.
This John had 3 daughters and coheirs; Maud, the eldest, married
Sir Richard de Belhus: Joan, another daughter and coheir, married
Reyner de Burgh, father of Hubert de Burgo, lord chief justice of England; Alice, the 3d daughter and coheir, married Robert de Nerford,
founder of the abbey de Prato or Prees, in North Creeke, castellan of
In the 24th of Henry III. the Lady Oliva, widow of John de Mareschall, lady of Hokering, and of this town, granted by fine the fishery
at Witford, to Maud de Belhus.
Sir Richard de Belhouse was a commissioner to enquire after tenures,
&c. in the 3d of Edward I. and Thomas de Belhouse, and Sarah his
wife, in the 29th of that King, held the manor of Tudenhalf Faldgate,
by the service of 20s. per ann. and half a fee.
Here was then a capital messuage, &c. valued at 11l. 17s. 2d. per
ann. and Richard was found to be his son and heir, aged 9 years; he
was also lord of West Bilney, Bodney, &c.
In the 36th of Edward III. Sir Richard Belhouse died, and left 3
daughters and coheirs; Emme, married to Sir Peter L'Estrange, lord
of Fransham Parva; Maud, to William Bozun, of Wyssingset, Esq.
and Joan to James de Holveston; though some records say that Joan,
or one of these daughters and coheirs, was married to — Oldhall,
by whom he had Edmund, father of Sir William Oldhall, who presented to this church in 1446, as lord of some part of Belhouse manor,
which proves a relation to Sir Richard Belhouse.
By an indenture, dated on Thursday next after the feast of St.
James the Apostle, in the 49th of Edward III. between Peter, prior
of Pentney, and the convent on one part, John Bozun of Wyssingset,
son and heir of William, it appears that John had given a 40l. bond
to the prior (but to be void if the said prior and his successors should
enjoy the said manor of Bodney) and to Robert Trayle, parson of
Barton St. Andrews, John de Dunton, and Thomas de Brytingham,
and their heirs, the manor of Belhouse Hall, in North Tudenham, with
the moiety of the advowson, and not be impleaded thereof, by John
or his heirs.
In the said year, Sir Peter Strange and Emme his wife, James de
Holveston and Joan his wife, conveyed to Robert Trayle, &c. this
manor, with a moiety of the advowson of the church, and they, as
trustees, settled it on the said priory.
In the 3d of Henry IV. the prior held it by half a fee of the Lord
Morley, as then said.
On the Dissolution of the said priory, it came to the Crown, and
was granted on July 21, in the 5th of Elizabeth, to Humphrey Shelton,
and Eds Hunt; and after this, it was in the Lord Morley, who presented in 1570; and in 1582, in Edward, Lord Morley, who in the
said year had a præcipe to deliver it to Thomas Newman, and George
Aglionly, with the advowson of the church.
In 1621, Thomas Skipp, Esq. was lord and patron.
This family lived at Worsted, in the reign of Henry VII. John Skypp,
D. D. Bishop of Hereford, in Henry the Eighth's time, was probably
born there. Robert Skyp, of the said town, had a confirmation of
these arms, from Robert Cook, Clarencieux, July 24, 1577; azure, a
lion rampant, between three trefoils, argent; the crest, out of a crown,
or, an unicorn's head, coupeè, argent, attired or, collared and chained.
By an inquisition taken, Thomas Skypp was found to die May 19,
1632, seized of this manor and advowson, and by Susan his wife,
daughter of Sir Edward Bleverhasset, of Norwich, had Thomas Skyppe,
Esq. who married Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Edward Spencer, of
Rendlesham in Suffolk, living in 1664, father of Thomas Skyppe, Esq.
who died in September, 1681.
On his death, Martin Skypp, Gent. was lord, and presented in 1687,
and was buried in 1696, June 11; he had by Battina his wife, daughter
of Edward Skypp, Gent. sons and daughters; she died in 1704.
John Skypp, Gent. son of Martin, sold this lordship to Henry Repynghale, attorney, at Aylsham, from whom it came to — Evans
the present lord.
The tenths were 7l. 10s. Deducted 2l. 10s.
The temporalities of Norwich priory were 10d.; of Wirmegey, 40d.;
of Castleacre 13s. 4d.; of St. Olaves, of Hering flete, 2s. 11d.
The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Mary, and consisted of
two medieties, one in the patronage of Beaufoe's manor, the other of
that of Belhous. In the reign of Edward I.— Marshall was patron,
and the rector of that mediety had then a manse, and 20 acres, and
Sir Richard Belhouse, patron of the other; the rector of that had a
manse, and 30 acres; John was rector of one mediety valued at 12
marks; and Richard of the other, valued also at 12 marks.
The prior of Rumburgh had a portion of tithe valued at 2 marks.
Peter-pence 12d. The present valor of both the medieties, being
united, is 10l. 5s. 3½d.
The church is a single pile, without any isle, covered with lead, and
has a square tower, with one bell; the chancel is covered with tiles.
Near the font is a marble gravestone,
In memory of Peter Forby, gent. who died April 14, 1676, aged 28.
On a gravestone with a brass plate,
Hic jaciunt corpora Thomœ Howlet, et Marie uxor. is ob. 10 die Oct.
1607, illa 27 Augusti 1612.
On a marble gravestone, argent, three bucks trippant, gules, impaling a fess nebuly, between three estoils.
In memory of Thomas Whale, gent. and Dorothy his wife: he departed April 7, 1661, about 60, she the 16th of December, 1658, aged
In a window on the north side of the church, gules, a chevron, argent, between two crosslets, in chief, and an annulet in base, or,
Wootton, impaling argent, three cinquefoils, gules, Southwell; the arms
of William Wotton, Baron of the Exchequer, and his wife; and in a
window on the south side, Wotton impaling Brampton, gules, a saltire,
between four cross crosslets, fitche, argent.
In the chancel, on a gravestone, with a brass plate, in form of a
I.N R.I. & crux Christi salus mea.—Hic jacet Francisca Skyppe,
filia Tho. Skyppe, Armigeri, quæ obt. 19 die Feb. 1625, ao. œtat. suœ 2.
On a gravestone, the arms of Neve, argent, on a cross, sable, five
de-lis, of the first, impaling, a chevron, ermine, between three birds,
Sarah le Neve, vidua, nuper uxor, Roberti le Neve, clerici, sacrœ
theologiœ baccalauri, hic jacet sepulta, Januarij 6, Ao. Dni. 1637.
Hic Jacet exemplar virtutis, gloria sexus,
Vitâ, animo, vultu, Sara, Rebecca, Rachel.
Another with the arms of Le Neve.
In memory of Frances Neve, who died Apr. 13, 1656.
On the south side of the communion table, is an altar tomb of
marble, &c. with three shields, Skyppe, impaling ermine, on a fess,
sable, three lions rampant, or, Rant; Skyppe, impaling, on a bend,
three de-lis, on a chief, two eaglets displayed; Skypp, impaling, per
chevron, in chief, three demy lions, couped, in base, a crescent; over
it is a mural monument of black and white marble, with the arms of
A sacred of Love, from Thomas Skyppe of North Tudenham in Norfolk, Esq; one of the gentlemen of his majestie's privy chamber, to the
lasting memory of Katherine his wife, by whom he had issue, two only
daughters, Frances, who lyeth buried in the west end of this chancel, and
Mary who sleeps by her mother, she expired Ao. Dni. 1629, her age 31,
her wedlock, 12, &c.
On the south side of the east window, is the bust of a man, with a
long beard, and a ruff, and the arms of Skyppe, under it,—Tibi
et tuis.—No name, but some verses setting forth he was a person
devoted to his study, (probably a clergyman,) and there is no date to it.
Near the north east part of the chancel, a marble gravestone,
Hic jacet corpus Johs. Smith, clerici, olim hujus ecelesiæ rector fidelis,
qui ex hac vitâ decessit tertio die Nov. ao. ætatis suæ 60, a'oq; Dni. 1687.
On a black marble before the communion table,
Beatam resurrectionem expectant reliquiæ Jesop Webb, rectoris hujus
ecclesiæ p. viginti quatuor annos, qui uxorem delectissimam Annam
filiam Robti. Hitch, Generosi, de Melborne in com. Cantab. filiasq;
charissimas, Annam, Mariam. Elizab. Janam, et Rutham reliquit, obijt.
Ao. Dni. 1710, ætat. - - -
In a window on the south side, gules, a lion a rampant, argent,
impaling Wotton, and Wotton impaling Southwell,
Here were the guilds of St. Mary, St. Margaret, and St. John
In 1316, Alan de Rokhall, collated to a mediety, by the Bishop, on
1317, Richard de Fyleby, by Robert de Morley.
1318, Robert de Cave, instituted, presented by Richard de Belhouse.
1325, Stephen de Redham, by Sir Robert de Morley.
1328, William de Aldeby Ditto.
1329, Robert Lovedous, by Sir Richard Belhouse.
1340, Mr. John Franks, by Sir Robert Morley.
1342, Nicholas de Baldeswell, by Sir Richard Belhouse, senior.
1349, Thomas Styward, by ditto.
1349, John Caroun, by Sir Robert Morley.
1349, Richard Parleman. Ditto.
1365, Robert de Long Stratton, by Sir Adam de Clifton.
1367, Stephen Atte Cross, by Richard Holditch.
1392, John Gybbs, by the prior of Pentney.
1393, Roger Pratt, M. D. Ditto.
1397, John Gybbs. Ditto.
1398, Walter de Thetford. Ditto.
1409, John Frank. Ditto.
1417, John Knevington. Ditto.
1424, Richard Bunting. Ditto.
1429, Thomas Fuller. Ditto.
James Gibbes, rector.
1434, John Medweby, by Thomas Lord Morley, who recovered his
moiety against the prior of Pentney.
1445, Thomas Codling, by the prior, &c.
1446, William Elsing, on Thomas Fuller's death, by Sir William
1457, John Boset, by Sir William Oldhall, lord of Belhouse manor.
1461, John Boset, to a mediety, by the prior of Pentney.
1506, John Wilkinson. Ditto.
1515, James Sankey.
1518, John Hawe, prior of Pentney, presented by John Spelman,
assignee of the priory.
1537, Thomas Downing, LL. B. by Robert Hogan, Esq.
1538, Mr. Thomas Downing, LL.B. by Robert Hogan, assignee of
the prior, &c.
1557, Mr. Michael Dunning, LL. D. by George Grange, assignee of
John Wotton, Esq.
1559, Gregory Grange, by Francis Thursby, Esq. and Margaret his
wife, Lady Dakers.
1570, Robert Waller, A. M. by John Grange, assignee of Henry
Parker Lord Morley.
1598, Cuthbert Norris, S.T.P. presented by the Queen, a lapse.
In 1603, he returned 152 communicants, and Theodore Goodwyn,
Esq. to be patron.
1621, Richard Neve, A. M. by Robert Neve, assignee of Thomas
Skipp, Esq. and before this, in 1599, April 2, Samuel Gardiner compounded for his first fruits, and was presented by Theodore Goodwyn.
1663, Joseph Morrant, by Thomas Skypp, Esq.
1670, John Smith, by John Hobart, &c.
1687, Jessop Webbe, by Martin Skipp, Gent.
1710, Henry Young, A. M. by Edmund Young, Gent.
1750, Thomas Shelford, on Young's death by Leonard Shelford.
Cuthbert Norris, rector, gave a little house in the town, and an acre
and half of ground for the poor.
John Smith, rector, gave a house for the clerk of the parish.