A socman (of Guert, as I take it) held here a carucate of land, and
five borderers, with 4 acres and a carucate of meadow, it was 6 furlongs long, and 5 broad, and paid 10d. ob. gelt, and Godric took care
of it for the Conqueror, who had then the soc, but Earl Ralph then
forfeited it on his rebellion.
Another socman had also 60 acres of land, 2 carucates and 4 acres
of meadow, but the soc belonged to the hundred; these socmen, with
others in Mouton, Hemlington, Bastwick, Randworth, Panxford, South
Walsham, &c. in other hundreds, paid 8l. quitrent, and 100s. to their
customary or yearly due in tale, also 20s. for an income.
Of all these who belonged to the Earl's fold, the Earl had the soc
and sac, but of the other the King and the Earl had the soc and sac. (fn. 1)
This lordship was granted (as in Acle, &c.) to the Bigots Earls of
Norfolk, and was held of them by the ancient family of Der Gerbridge,
who took their name from the bridge at Yarmouth over the Yar or
Ger, and Jer; and seems to have had an interest herein in the reign
of King John.
William de Jerbridge was living in the 24th of Henry III. and purchased 14s. rent in Yarmouth, of Isabel de Castre, by fine.
William de Corton and Clementia his wife, as trustees, settled on Sir
William de Gerberge of Wickhampton, and Joan his wife, 7 messuages,
a mill, 2 carucates of land, — of meadow, 300 of marsh, with 50s. rent
in this town, Tunstal, Halvergate, Mouton, &c. with the advowson of
Wickhampton church, for their lives and in tail.
In the 9th year of Edward II. Sir Edward Gerbridge was found in
the 20th of Edward III. to hold the 3d part of a fee. Ralph Gerbridge
and Alianore his wife, settled it on themselves and in tail, by fine,
levied in the 40th of Edward III.
In 1397, Edward Gerbrygge was lord, and presented to this church.
This Edward left by Cecilia his wife, a daughter and sole heir Elizab.
a minor; and King Richard II. on his death, seised on this lordship,
and granted it to Thomas Grace, and John de Alderford; but on the
application of Sir Thomas Erpingham, Sir John White, &c. who were
trustees for it, it was recovered by them in the first year of King Henry
IV. as appears by a pleading in Trinity term in the said year.
John Bray and Elizabeth his wife, held it in the 13th of Henry VI.
and then sold 200 acres of marsh in Castre, to Sir Thomas Fastolf.
This Elizabeth was heir (as I take it) of Edward Gerbridge and Cecilia his wife beforementioned.
The said Elizabeth, widow of John Bray of Norwich, by her will,
dated June 1, 1473, and proved in October following, bequeaths her
manor of Mount, called Mill-hill, &c. in Wickhampton, Halvergate,
Tunstal, Mouton, Frethorp, Upton, &c. (fn. 2) with the advowson of the
church, to John her son; Robert Grys, Gent. and William Sweteman,
clerk, her executors.
John her son did not long survive her.
In 1486, Robert Clere of Stokesby, Esq. and Elizabeth his wife, presented, but by what right or title does not appear.
In 1505, John Breton, Esq. presented to this church as lord and
patron, grandson of John Breton, Esq. of Wichingham, by Margaret
his wife, sister of Edward Gerbridge, Esq.
In 1593, John Daynes presented, from him it came to the Berneys
of Reedham, and Richard Berney, Esq. was lord and patron in 1619.
In this family it remained, till it was mortgaged by Richard Berney. to Michael and James Edwards, Esq. who presented in 1697; and
on the sale of this manor, Sir James Edwards was lord and patron in
1710, and afterwards Sir Lambert Blackwell, Bart. and his heirs in
The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Andrew. The ancient
valor was six marks, Peter-pence 12d. Carvage 2d. ob. and the rector of Halvergate had a portion of tithe valued at 8s. 8d.
The present valor is 4l. and is discharged.
In 1315, Robert de Lyncoln instituted, presented by Sir William
1349, John de Woterton, by Sir Edward Gerbrygge.
1354, Richard de Barsham. Ditto.
1357, Robert Pope. Ditto.
1368, Robert Snell, by Ralph Gerbrygge.
1384, William Beckford, by Alianore de Gerbrygge, (fn. 3) Lady de Wichingham.
1385, Thomas Verdon. Ditto.
1397, John Major, by Edward Gerbrygge.
1401, John Scammelly, by the King.
1412, John Navesby, by Sir Thomas Erpingham.
1419, John Waller. Ditto.
1423, Laurence Stevene, by John Bray, Esq.
1428, Nicholas Man. Ditto.
1434, Thomas Eplesden. Ditto.
1436, Thomas Skerning. Ditto.
1443, William Barbour. Ditto.
1446, John Byskele, by Elizabeth, relict of John Bray.
1447, William Dalby, by Elizabeth, relict of John Bray.
1448, John Nichol. Ditto.
1449, Philip Catton. Ditto.
1453, Godfrey Dodd. Ditto.
1459, William Jullys, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1486, Thomas Goodknape by Robert Clere, of Stokesby, and Eliz.
1505, Robert Grason, by Thomas Breton, Esq.
1528, John Crockhill. Ditto.
1524, John Hindringham. Ditto.
1529, Andrew Anderson, by the assignees of Thomas Breton.
1540, William Frankish, by John Breton, Gent.
1541, Thomas Ebbes, by Thomas Breton, Gent.
1545, Thomas Malling ditto, he had been prior of Castleacre, as I
1561, Walter Jenkinson, by Hen. Breton, Gent.
1593, John Thompson, by John Daynes.
1595, Simon Thaxier, by the assignees of Daynes.
1519, William Keen, by Richard Berney, Esq.
1639, Jeffrey Love, by Sir Richard Berney, Bart.
1651, Thomas Essex, by Martyn Founteyn.
1669, Robert Cronshay, by Sir Richard Berney.
1670, William Brook. Ditto.
1675, James Richer, by Richard Berney, Esq.
1683, Oliver St. John. Ditto.
1684, Robert Tolbot. Ditto.
1692, Charles Chapman, by Richard Berney, Esq.
1697, John Anderson, by Michael and James Edwards.
1731, Thomas Goddard, by the English merchants of the fishery,
In the church was St. Andrew's guild and lights, and the lights of
St. Mary, and the Holy Cross.
In the east window of the chancel were the arms of Gerbrigge.
Ermin, on a chief, gules, five lozenges of the first, surmounted by a
barulet, sable; also of Breton of Wichingham, and of Hetherset.
On the north side of the chancel, an altar tomb, with the effigies
of Sir William Gerbrygge, with his shield of arms obscure by length
Also another, probably for his wife, the arms also obscure.
In the church of Brampton in Norfolk, is a gravestone in memory
of Robert Breton, Esq. who died in 1479, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Brampton. On this stone are the arms of Breton impaling Brampton, also Breton impaling Gerbrigge as above, and
Breton impaling Bray, argent, a chevron between three eagles claws
or legs, erased, sable, the arms of Bray, lord of this town.